Dolphins willing to pay Saffold big money

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...loading-up-for-another-big-free-agency-score/

A year ago, the Dolphins made a huge splash in free agency, signing three guys to $125 million worth of contracts on the first day.

They might make an equivalent ripple this year, or it might be bigger because of the sheer size of the free agents involved.

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins used the early moments of the league’s legal tampering period to express their deep and sincere admiration for the top free agent offensive linemen, with particular interest in Chiefs tackleBranden Albert and Rams tackle Rodger Saffold.

They also made contact with the representatives for Eugene Monroe and Jared Veldheer to cover their bases, but a source described the Dolphins as most interested in Albert, and willing to pay big money for Saffold to play guard.

It’s so early in the period that a lot of this should be taken with a grain of salt. But we knew the Dolphins needed to upgrade at left tackle in particular and the line in general entering the offseason.

But after former General Manager Jeff Ireland signed Mike Wallace, Dannell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler to big contracts on the first day last year, it’s a little surprising to see them loading up again.

Or perhaps not, since the guy who authorized those signings was fired, and the new guy (Dennis Hickey) has his own identity to establish, for an owner eager to put last year’s ugliness behind them, and willing to put his wallet behind that effort (as he did with Brent Grimes already).

At the moment it's looking like I'll be wishing Saffold good luck, I just hope he has the decency to stay out of the division.

I'm thinking if we can improve the DBs in FA we should have no problem replacing Saffold in the draft.

jap

Legend
Is it really surprising that it's the 'Phins after Beetlejuice? Are they actually going to beat us out in negotiations for a player/coach . . . finally? :LOL:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
After Jeff Fisher and Jake Long, maybe the Phins just want to win a competition with us for a free agent. ;)

Ram_of_Old

He will not play over 12 games in a season with his injury record. If he goes, we will definitely get Mathews or Robinson.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Only if Miami were willing to pay more than us would Saffold go there as a guard.

But money talks.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I've been pretty quiet about whether or not we retain Saffold. At this point, if he goes... good riddance. He will be another highly paid free agent going to another team, but it will bite them in the a$$ with his history of injuries. Too many times have we paid too much for injury riddled players. Time for other teams to feel the pain we endured over the years. There is plenty other players available in free agency and the draft to replace him. This whole situation reminds me of Amendola and look where that got him.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm hearing a lot of teams offering high money for him to be their LT. My bet is he takes it.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I've thought all along they will make saffold a fair offer based on his on the field pllay and injury history. If he gets offered more, and he will, hes gone. Personally all the great lines are not necessarily the biggest names but ones that stay healthy and build cohesiveness as a unit. We haven't had much of that and saffold is a big part of that equation. I know everybody says he wont be as injury prone at guard, and you hate to lose assets. But sometimes its better to just move on. Worked out with amendola and sj. Im thinking this will be tbe right move as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
After Jeff Fisher and Jake Long, maybe the Phins just want to win a competition with us for a free agent. ;)
Weren't they hot after Cook too? Yeah - this would be a smart move by Saffold's agent. Funny though that they are apparently willing to pay him big bucks to play GUARD. We may soon see if it is truly not about the money.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I haven't gave up on all hope of retaining him.
But in reality he was gone the day the Rams signed J. Long.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Only if Miami were willing to pay more than us would Saffold go there as a guard.

But money talks.

"Big money" sounds a lot more enticing to a money whore than "fair deal." You can bet they'll outbid us fairly easy.

They better get some T's along with it. Saffold will not last st T.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
"Big money" sounds a lot more enticing to a money whore than "fair deal." You can bet they'll outbid us fairly easy.

Honestly, almost every player in professional football would count as a "money whore" if that means wanting to go to whichever job pays you the most. And the vast majority of us would do the same thing.

Situations like William Hayes last year are pretty rare.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Honestly, almost every player in professional football would count as a "money whore" if that means wanting to go to whichever job pays you the most. And the vast majority of us would do the same thing.

Situations like William Hayes last year are pretty rare.

When a player really likes the team he's on but goes to a worse team solely for money, he's a money whore.

Steven Jackson is not a money whore.

Albert Pujols is.

Saffold will be, most likely.

I wouldn't be if the deal was fair and I wouldn't be downgrading teams like STL vs MIA. No question the Rams are better than MIA.

Last edited:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
When a player really likes the team he's on but goes to a worse team solely for money, he's a money whore.

Steven Jackson is not a money whore.

Albert Pujols is.

Saffold will be, most likely.

I wouldn't be if the deal was fair and I wouldn't be downgrading teams like STL vs MIA. No question the Rams are better than MIA.
What if another team is willing to let him play OT and that's the position he wants to play? I really don't know what will happen with Saffold, but it sounds more and more like he'll be moving on.

Man we really need about three or four guards right now

fearsomefour

Legend

Drives me crazy when people talk about these guys like they are doing something they would not do themselves. What you call a "money whore" is a guy being in a position of power. So be it. Everyone who trades their time for money could be defined as a money whore. A guy who flips burgers (or whatever) is easily replaced....no bargaining power.
Saffold is in the position of power likely for the only time in his career. He has a very valued skill set and is young. I want the Rams to keep him but he would be sort of foolish to not take the money....same goes for any of us.
Supply and demand, plain and simple.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Drives me crazy when people talk about these guys like they are doing something they would not do themselves. What you call a "money whore" is a guy being in a position of power. So be it. Everyone who trades their time for money could be defined as a money whore. A guy who flips burgers (or whatever) is easily replaced....no bargaining power.
Saffold is in the position of power likely for the only time in his career. He has a very valued skill set and is young. I want the Rams to keep him but he would be sort of foolish to not take the money....same goes for any of us.
Supply and demand, plain and simple.

Agreed 100%