Do Rams Draft A Runing Back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Maybe they brought Pead in because no one in the entire world saw it coming lol. He has been on the team 2 years now, was a 2nd round pick, and has produced less than a 2nd year 7th rounder, a rookie 5th rounder, and a rookie UDFA. Certainly it seems we could find another late rounder to take his spot and produce more. Pead is a bust IMO, a big one, and doesn't produce nearly enough to warrant anything besides being cut.

Serious question here..... Taking the draft position off the table for the purpose of the discussion, (because I promise you, his teammates, and coaches don't give a hoot what round these guys are drafted in), who is most likely to be the guy you would look to in the event Stacy goes down?

You seem to be quite flippant in your response, and it appears you have written Pead off SOLELY based on where he was drafted. Yet you completely dismiss the REALITY of the situation. Isaiah Pead was the one who was ACTIVE and on the field the last 2 months of the season, while the guy you seem to be championing, Daryl Richardson was INACTIVE the last 8 weeks of the season. (and he didn't appear on ANY Injury Reports until the last 2 weeks).

Neither Pead, nor Richardson were brought in to be a 25+ carry type of RB in a POWER running scheme. They were brought here to because they both possessed a skillset that this team lacked. A change of pace, 3rd down type RB to augment the position being manned by the franchise's All-Time leading rusher. The same guy who eventually chose to leave, because HE didn't want to give up carries moving forward.

They then drafted a more physical RB, in Stacy because they knew Jackson was gone. One who fit the scheme. At some point, offensive philosophy and filling a ROLE in that offense has to be taken into consideration when evaluating players. Its not fantasy football, where EVERY player on the roster is here to just put up numbers.

The fact is, Pead is the better option when put in that role. He's a better receiver than Richardson. He is more elusive than Richardson. He's a MUCH better blocker than Richardson. And if given the same number of carries, he would be more productive than Richardson. That doesn't mean he is a FEATURE back, who will have multiple seasons (much less one) 1000 yard rushing stats. Which apparently, by your standard given his draft slot, he needs to be in order NOT to be a bust.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Serious question here..... Taking the draft position off the table for the purpose of the discussion, (because I promise you, his teammates, and coaches don't give a hoot what round these guys are drafted in), who is most likely to be the guy you would look to in the event Stacy goes down?

You seem to be quite flippant in your response, and it appears you have written Pead off SOLELY based on where he was drafted. Yet you completely dismiss the REALITY of the situation. Isaiah Pead was the one who was ACTIVE and on the field the last 2 months of the season, while the guy you seem to be championing, Daryl Richardson was INACTIVE the last 8 weeks of the season. (and he didn't appear on ANY Injury Reports until the last 2 weeks).

The fact is, Pead is the better option when put in that role. He's a better receiver than Richardson. He is more elusive than Richardson. He's a MUCH better blocker than Richardson. And if given the same number of carries, he would be more productive than Richardson. That doesn't mean he is a FEATURE back, who will have multiple seasons (much less one) 1000 yard rushing stats. Which apparently, by your standard given his draft slot, he needs to be in order NOT to be a bust.

For your first question as to who i'd like if Stacy goes down, thats easy, Cunningham.

Second, i haven't been championing Richardson, just mentioned that he has seen more action so far in his career than Pead has. Which is the truth. Though he was inactive the last 8 weeks and your boy Pead was. In all truth, im not as high on DRich as others are, Unless he is ran to the outside he has nothing to bring to the table, and if he is the lone back, the other team will know where they need to focus the most to contain him. He still is our best change of pace back option though. And does add it nicely at times.

As for writing Pead off because of where he was drafted, no, That is furthest from my mind!! And to say it is SOLELY my reason is ridiculous. I am writing off Pead because i have no faith in him and feel that we can find someone to battle him and possibly take his spot. I only mentioned where others were drafted to show where we got them is all.

As for the last part i bolded....How the heck do you know that? From the very few snaps Pead has had, you think he will produce more than Richardson if given the same snaps? Did not know that you were a fortune teller.

And as far as him being drafted in the 2nd round, i did expect more from him. I'm not allowed to complain about his lack of production for a 2nd rounder but everyone else can complain about Quicks production as a 2nd rounder? Please.

Let me ask you a question, If i told you i wanted to draft a RB in the 2nd round who would have 75 rushing yards and 94 receiving yards in his first two years, would you be happy with that? I'll tell you that i wouldn't be if you told me that. So yes, he is a bust im my eyes. Pead was active the last 8 weeks of the season....well congrats to him from going from inactive to active...quite a feat for him...

Don't matter now though, we have our feature back, and his back up. And then we have DRich who you obviously don't like, and we also have Pead, who you do like. Well i don't like Pead that much. Thats it. Do i hope he does a good job in his role? Of course i do, i hope he does a awesome job in which he deserves more snaps. Do i see that happening? No. I think what we saw from him these 2 years is the most we will see out of him every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
JP
At what price? Neither of these guys would come cheap. And who do you take reps away from in order to justify them being signed?

I think D Mac will be cheap. CJ would maybe want to come back and play for Jeff? Thats my thinking anyways.

Both could fill the need we have for a receiving/big play back. 8-10 touches a game for either.

fancents86

Starter
I think a few of you have forgotten how well D Rich did his rookie season when he was healthy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Seastrunk, Sankey, Grice, or Hyde would make happy happy happy!

Alan

Legend
CoachO's take on Pead:
Sorry Coach, I see no facts here. Just as with Tron's view, I see only opinion. One that doesn't seem to be borne out by any facts except for a subjective view concerning his blocking ability. A view that I also share but that still doesn't make it a fact. Although, at the risk of sounding flippant, it does make it the next closest thing to a fact. :yousure: :lol:

The fact that Richardson was inactive and then suddenly put on the injury report is telling IMO. It's my opinion that Richardson never recovered fully from the foot injury he suffered and later aggravated early in the season. The later thigh injury put him on the injury list for good. There are no stats that would validate your view about Pead being better and there is also the fact that the Rams braintrust started Richardson instead of Pead until the foot injury. I'm pretty sure that they felt he was the better player at the time.

Pead may indeed be better than Richardson but there is no empirical evidence to support that. Indeed, all the empirical evidence would lead one to think the opposite is true. I myself think that in the long run Pead will prove to be the better player but that is just my opinion.

Relax Coach, we're all just throwing our opinions out there for discussion.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

I'd like to think that none of us really know why Pead didn't geat as many carries this year and we never will know. The fact remains that we've heard that he's a bit of a lazy guy, and shows that by not showing up to meetings on time.

It seems to me that he got his head on straight about halfway through the year when he started participating on special teams, and taking what reps he could get. I personally don't think it's his talent, it's all in his head.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sheesh. So Pead is apparently FAR and away the best RB on the roster in pass pro, blitz pickup and catching out of the backfield. He is clearly much more talented than DRich....and those who say that base it on WHAT exactly?? Training camps? A handful of preseason snaps? I liked Pead's game coming out of Cinci, really I did. I liked Marty Gilyards too...but until I see ANY...and I mean ANY meaningful (ie. more than a few snaps) regular season game film of Pead outplaying these other RBs, I will have to just assume there is a reason he has been used so sparingly. Seriously, why would fisher NOT play the "most talented" RB on his roster?? Is Pead really THAT stupid that the staff can't find a way to use these immense talents?? I think we all want all of our players to be amazing, but I just don't understand people proclaiming that Pead is the best RB on the roster. There is absolutely NO evidence (other than a college highlight reel) to support that at this time.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sorry Coach, I see no facts here. Just as with Tron's view, I see only opinion. One that doesn't seem to be borne out by any facts except for a subjective view concerning his blocking ability. A view that I also share but that still doesn't make it a fact. Although, at the risk of sounding flippant, it does make it the next closest thing to a fact. :yousure: :lol:

The fact that Richardson was inactive and then suddenly put on the injury report is telling IMO. It's my opinion that Richardson never recovered fully from the foot injury he suffered and later aggravated early in the season. The later thigh injury put him on the injury list for good. There are no stats that would validate your view about Pead being better and there is also the fact that the Rams braintrust started Richardson instead of Pead until the foot injury. I'm pretty sure that they felt he was the better player at the time.

Pead may indeed be better than Richardson but there is no empirical evidence to support that. Indeed, all the empirical evidence would lead one to think the opposite is true. I myself think that in the long run Pead will prove to be the better player but that is just my opinion.

Relax Coach, we're all just throwing our opinions out there for discussion.

I get this is all based on opinion. But my opinion is formed on things I physically saw firsthand everyday in training camp. When I make a comment about Pead being a better blocker, its based on seeing Richardson struggle mightily when going against blitzing LBs, on a DAILY basis. It's seeing his position coach is continually "coaching him" on techniques with leverage and balance. Then there is Pead, who attacks blitzers, and is very aggressive. He displayed it on more than one occasion throughout the preseason, and IMO, was the biggest reason he was on the field in may of the 3rd down passing situations from the middle of the season on. Especially when they went with 2 back formations.

If you watch games when Richardson was left in the game, teams constantly blitzed him. SF brought Bowman constantly in the first game on TNF was the most blatant example.

Look, I get that most have issues with Pead. He created the perfect storm for people to get down on him. When given an opportunity as a return guy, he struggled with any real consistency. Then add in the fumble vs. SF last year. And voila, he is now the guy everyone wants to blast. To add insult to injury, he is suspended for week one, which IMO, was the biggest reason they christened Richardson the "starter" from the outset.

I say this, because I watched EVERYDAY throughout training camp, as BOTH of these guys alternated reps with the FIRST UNIT week in, week out for the 5 weeks of open practices. That tells me, that this coaching staff isn't ready to write him off just yet.

And to answer Tron's question about my opinion regarding better results given similar opportunities, I absolutely believe that. He is just a better skilled athlete. But hey, I get it. At the end of the day, be it Pead, Richardson, or whoever they choose to hand the ball to, its about being productive. I will stand by my POV, and continue to think that Pead is a whole lot better option then others seem to think he is.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Look, I feel the need to clarify my position here. Tired of getting attacked for having an opinion about Pead. I do think he is the most athletically skilled player at his position on the roster. But I also have NEVER said he should be the EVERY DOWN RB. He wasn't brought here to be that. Not with Jackson here last year, and not in THIS offense. It's a POWER running scheme, and be it Pead OR Richardson, neither of them will thrive in it.

What I don't understand, is why so many people in here seem to think it has to be ALL or NOTHING. Pead offers the best option (if he continues to stay focused) as a true 3rd down back, and yes, that oft used, "change of pace" back. Does that mean he gets 8-10 touches a game? Probably not. But there maybe games he does.

But I look at a player like LaMichael James, who was yet another TALENTED back taken in the 2nd round, have the same issues finding reps, but is still a viable threat WHEN he is given the chance. There is no reason in my mind, that Pead cannot be the same kind of player for this team. Since I don't browse the 49er message boards, I have no idea whether or not the fans are saying the same things about him as Rams fans seem to say about Pead. But I would doubt they are. Why? Because they have two established and productive RBs ahead of him. And oh yeah.. They are WINNING!

If and when this team starts winning, the negativity that tends to drown out the positive, will continue gradually dissipate. And players such as Pead, Quick et al, will cease being targets and seen more as role players who contribute to the success of the team.

Alan

Legend
CoachO with his response:
I get this is all based on opinion.
I will stand by my POV, and continue to think that Pead is a whole lot better option then others seem to think he is.
No offense Coach but do you really? Could just be your writing style but you sometimes leave the impression that the other guys view is opinion and your's is fact. Actually, that's exactly what you said.

We all know you're extremely knowledgeable about football. Guess what though, so are many other people (not me) and yet every year the experts make bad choices at draft time and during the season. No one expects you to abandon your POV. Just stop and realize that it is only your POV.

We're all glad you share it with us too. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I get this is all based on opinion. But my opinion is formed on things I physically saw firsthand everyday in training camp. When I make a comment about Pead being a better blocker, its based on seeing Richardson struggle mightily when going against blitzing LBs, on a DAILY basis. It's seeing his position coach is continually "coaching him" on techniques with leverage and balance. Then there is Pead, who attacks blitzers, and is very aggressive. He displayed it on more than one occasion throughout the preseason, and IMO, was the biggest reason he was on the field in may of the 3rd down passing situations from the middle of the season on. Especially when they went with 2 back formations.

If you watch games when Richardson was left in the game, teams constantly blitzed him. SF brought Bowman constantly in the first game on TNF was the most blatant example.

Look, I get that most have issues with Pead. He created the perfect storm for people to get down on him. When given an opportunity as a return guy, he struggled with any real consistency. Then add in the fumble vs. SF last year. And voila, he is now the guy everyone wants to blast. To add insult to injury, he is suspended for week one, which IMO, was the biggest reason they christened Richardson the "starter" from the outset.

I say this, because I watched EVERYDAY throughout training camp, as BOTH of these guys alternated reps with the FIRST UNIT week in, week out for the 5 weeks of open practices. That tells me, that this coaching staff isn't ready to write him off just yet.

And to answer Tron's question about my opinion regarding better results given similar opportunities, I absolutely believe that. He is just a better skilled athlete. But hey, I get it. At the end of the day, be it Pead, Richardson, or whoever they choose to hand the ball to, its about being productive. I will stand by my POV, and continue to think that Pead is a whole lot better option then others seem to think he is.

Fair enough.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No offense Coach but do you really? Could just be your writing style but you sometimes leave the impression that the other guys view is opinion and your's is fact. Actually, that's exactly what you said.

We all know you're extremely knowledgeable about football. Guess what though, so are many other people (not me) and yet every year the experts make bad choices at draft time and during the season. No one expects you to abandon your POV. just stop and realize that it is only your POV.

We're all glad you share it with us too. :wink:

Not sure if you were calling me out, or acknowledging that I in fact was stating MY opinion, and only that. When I "report" on things I see at camp, its obviously my interpretation of what I see.

When I "share" my POV, its nothing more than my opinion. I may come across as making it sound like I consider it fact, but that's just not the case. Everything we all do on these message boards, is share OPINIONS. I get that as much as the next guy.

Alan

Legend
Not calling you out Coach. Like I said, might just be your writing style. Reread your post at the top of the page and you might see why I commented.