Detailed Report from the Demoff Rams Fans Dinner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
slide.jpg

Report from the Demoff Rams Fans Dinner: Jan 28th

Posted By John on the Rampager Mailing List

For those interested, I was out at Rams Park last night with about 70 other Ram fans in the Rams meeting room for a dinner, and a presentation by Kevin Demoff. To his credit, he does not duck questions and is very frank with his responses and at times is very outspoken. Among the highlights….

Unknown about Roger Saffold’s future with the team. Says that Saffold likes St. Louis and playing for Coach Fisher. Says also that Saffold will test free agency but is unclear what the market will bear for Saffold. Demoff belives Saffold’s future is at guard and can be a pro-bowler at that position. Mentions several left tackles around the league and what they made like Bushrod (8 Million). If someone wants to pay Saffold that much, the Rams probably will not match.

He says that the Rams and CVC are combining to improve the sound system in the Dome. He said the CVC is spending 5 million in upgrades to the system. Also hopes to improve the cell phone reception in the Dome, says it’s bad and noted some laughable issues he had with his own cell phone trying to contact his wife after the Bears game, and was receiving text messages hours after the game was over from her that she sent before the game. Also noted the Rams are paying to upgrade the food selection and concession areas to make them better and have contracts out for bid.

He says that the situation where Austin Pettis spoke out about playing in Los Angeles earlier this season, combined with the incident that occurred in LA last week where Tavon Austin was holding a banner that said, “Future Los Angeles Ram season ticket holder”, was BS. Demoff says that Austin was sent to LA to attend some College Football event and say a bunch of fans wearing Rams jerseys and went over to say hi to them, when he snapped the picture. He said that Austin called Demoff the next day when the picture went viral to say he knows nothing about the dynamics or group involved and wasn’t aware of the fans in St. Louis sensitivity to the issue.

He made some very candid comments about officiating during the season. Said some of the calls were frankly bone-headed and committed by young players like Ray Ray Armstrong, and Darren Bates. Said the play by Pead against Indy on the opening kickoff was bone-headed as well. He said the Rams were chippy this season because of the personality of Coach Fisher. Pointed out that the Seahawks lead the NFL in penalties and yards this season and Fisher wants the Rams to be aggressive and not sit back passively. Pointed out that the Rams in seasons proceeding Fisher, were not aggressive and quite frankly got smacked around without responding from opponents. Says that officiating league wide was not good and wants the NFL to adopt policies similar to College, where there are more reviews and more options for coaches. Said that the ejection from the Carolina game of Chris Long was wrong, because reviews of game tapes revealed no punch being thrown by Long, and the league rescinded their fine of him for the ejection. He then criticized the league for having the same crew work a Ram game 4 weeks later and that the Rams players he felt were at times hampered by unfair officiating. He also cited the Bears game where Brockers was penalized for the hit on Bears QB which was actually a clean hit. He made a remark about the Seahawks/49ers game and the fumble on the goal line that was recovered by Navorro Bowman where he was injured, could not be reviewed which was stupid. Also cited the Arizona Cardinals game where the ball was blown dead on the goal line after a forced fumble by TJ McDonald which would have been a 100 yard fumble return for a TD by Jenkins.

He said that he wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rams draft a back up QB in the 2nd round or 3rd round. Says that Rams have 9 draft picks and the coaches recently returned from the Senior Bowl and are beginning to prepare for free agency and the draft.

He likes the direction of the team but says they need to improve on offense and that the defense right now is essentially playoff ready. He says the Rams are committed to Sam and feels that they win 9 to 10 games if Bradford stayed healthy.

He said that he too is distressed by the visiting teams fans sometimes over taking the Dome, but feels that the team has to win to make season ticket holders stop selling their tickets. Enjoyed watching Bears fans slink out of the Dome after the Rams kicked their butts. He said that there are no salary cap issues with the Rams and that the way the team is structured, they have the ability to control core, younger player contracts for the next 9 seasons as opposed to letting them walk to free agency.

The stadium issue came up (again). He said that the Rams are prepared to go year to year and pointed out several other teams around the league such as the Charges, Bills, Vikings, (up until this year), and Raiders, who go year to year. Says that the Rams have no announcements and does not expect Kroenke to make any public statements about the stadium issue until after the lease expires in 2015. He said he understands fans frustration with Kroenkes reluctance to speak publicly and also to come out expressing a desire to stay in St. Louis. He also said it “could get ugly” when the contract expires in 2015 but didn’t elaborate.

Says that the Vikings situation in Minnesota took 5 years and that the owner Ziggy Wilf actually flew to LA to meet with AIG. After that happened, the State Legislature passed the funding in order to pay for the new stadium in Minnesota. Roger Goodell actually flew to Minnesota to tell the politicians that the situation with the Vikings moving was “serious’.

Demoff said he can look up and has access to every player contract in the NFL. Says it helps him access salaries and bonuses.

Bragged about the Rams outreach into the community and is proud of his players charitable contributions to St. Louis.

Pointed out Hekker and Quinn’s pro bowl appearances and said that they represented the organization well.

Part 2

A few more thoughts popped into my head after I sent the first email…..

Demoff implied they are all in with Sam Bradford. He is not worried about Bradford’s salary the next two seasons nor his CAP ramifications. He says media reports about the Rams trying to renegotiate Sam’s salary are not correct. Demoff says he “reads everything” Rams related he can lay his hands on or pull up on the internet and feels that most of what is reported is wrong or is created to stir controversy when none exists, like the earlier alluded too Tavon Austin thing in LA.

Demoff asked everyone in the room to raise their hands to find out if they want an Dome or outdoor stadium. 2/3 of my crowd wanted an Dome. (I voted for outdoor). He says that he asks every crowd he speaks in front of and it’s usually 50-50. He also asked if they wanted a new stadium in St. Louis City or St. Louis County, and the room was split, which he also said is usually 50-50.

Made interesting comments about the Rams 2nd round pick of Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffrey in Fisher/Sneads first draft. Said that Jeffrey left South Carolina after his Junior year with the reputation that he “took plays off”. Jeffrey came to the combine about 30 lbs overweight. These were all contributing factors. Says that Jeffrey really emerged in the 2nd half of the season when he figured out how to outjump opponents and utilize his skill set better. Made interesting comments about Janoris Jenkins matching up with Jeffrey in an SEC game before Jenkins transferred (from Florida) to finish his collegiate career at North Alabama. Said that Jenkins knocked Jeffrey to the ground and got into a fight with him then held Jeffrey to 2 catches for little yardage. Said that Fisher viewed the game tape and that was when he decided he wanted to draft Jenkins.

Demoff made comments about Chris Givens having a lost year after Bradford went down. Said Givens was fine and will be fine in the future but when Bradford went down, the Rams lost their ability with Clemens to go deep with Givens. Says Givens will be fine next season.

Made interesting comments about Jared Cook. Some of the issues were the fact that teams found ways to take him out of the offense after week one and the Rams frequently had trouble adjusting. Says that it’s been speculated that the Rams overpaid for Cook and that it remains to be seen if that is the case for now.

Says that Stedman Baily really opened some eyes with his play this year and will emerge as one of the teams top receivers going into 2014. Also says Tavon Austin was utilized better in the 2nd half of the season before he was hurt and is fine going into next season.

Said the Rams special teams were among the best in the NFL and set a record for net average with Hekker’s punting. Said that the core of the special teams is very young, and kept laughingly referring to Armstrong and Bates as knuckleheads for some of their antics.

slide.jpg

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thank you, X! I hung on to every word...

(Your former alias wouldn't be Psycho X, would it?)

-Love to draft a QB in the second or third round.
-Demoff is a jewel in our org.
-I wonder if they view Clowney as lazy
-Poor Tavon
-I wonder if Demoff visits our board
-I want a Dome on the old Chrsyler Plant area
-I now am convinced we won't draft Watkins... :(
-Givens better be a stud next year...

That's all I got for now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I can find nothing that I am not in agreement with....unusual for me. Real nice read for me:)

V3

Hall of Fame
I can find nothing that I am not in agreement with....unusual for me. Real nice read for me:)

Do you agree with him saying that our defense is already playoff ready? I don't. Not with our current secondary. It's close, but there are still key holes to fill.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Thank you, X! I hung on to every word...

(Your former alias wouldn't be Psycho X, would it?)

-Love to draft a QB in the second or third round.
-Demoff is a jewel in our org.
-I wonder if they view Clowney as lazy
-Poor Tavon
-I wonder if Demoff visits our board
-I want a Dome on the old Chrsyler Plant area
-I now am convinced we won't draft Watkins... :(
-Givens better be a stud next year...

That's all I got for now.

What I got out of that is that we aren't drafting Clowney. And we already knew that we weren't drafting a QB with our first pick.

I think the key development here is their confidence in Bailey being a quality starter. I figured that they weren't ready to move Givens to the bench and wanted to give him a chance to bounce back with Sam returning. That makes the WR position very crowded if they take Watkins. They would start Watkins, Tavon, and Bailey. Givens would be a 4th WR, and Quick would hardly see the field. Pettis would be inactive unless there was an injury.

I really think the OT will trump Watkins, but I keep going back and forth on it. Still, I don't see any other options happening.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Do you agree with him saying that our defense is already playoff ready? I don't. Not with our current secondary. It's close, but there are still key holes to fill.

I don't think there is an elite DB in the first round, certainly none in the top 6 players. So the playoff ready thing isn't all that concerning.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Yes that's certainly debatable but I really do think that our new DC will fix many of the issues you & I have discussed.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think there is an elite DB in the first round, certainly none in the top 6 players. So the playoff ready thing isn't all that concerning.

I agree, not in the top 6. There are some good prospects in the first round, though. 13 is a possibility for some. I agree though, it's not the best year for elite secondary help.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I see he brought up the unhappiness he has with the shit stirring Ram reports again.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
very informative there. Kinda gives you the the idea that even though it's very early in the draft process you feel we have a idea of more than a few people we are going to target and those people don't entail a 1st round QB or a person with the last name of Watkins or Clowney...need to build or O-Line!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

I think it's dang close at a minimum. I've beleived for years our offense wears out our defense. Not to mention our scheme BLEW CHUNKS early in the year. For as talented as it is it played too soft. It's built to be the aggressor from kickoff to 1 one yard line, not just in the red zone.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What I got out of that is that we aren't drafting Clowney. And we already knew that we weren't drafting a QB with our first pick.

I think the key development here is their confidence in Bailey being a quality starter. I figured that they weren't ready to move Givens to the bench and wanted to give him a chance to bounce back with Sam returning. That makes the WR position very crowded if they take Watkins. They would start Watkins, Tavon, and Bailey. Givens would be a 4th WR, and Quick would hardly see the field. Pettis would be inactive unless there was an injury.

I really think the OT will trump Watkins, but I keep going back and forth on it. Still, I don't see any other options happening.

I don't know, either. We have two starting OT's if they can just stay healthy. If we draft one of the OT's I think we need to give him the Saffold treatment and start them off a OG or move Long to OG. But why draft an OT that high if there isn't an OT spot open? It makes NO sense to me. You cent just bench your new first round OT and wait for an injury. Sure the injury will happen, Long most assuredly won't last the season, but I just don't like it. It's a wasted pick!

In lamens terms, we in no way in heck should draft an OT early. We have two starters so let's actually put our pick to good use or trade it. I'm convinced OT won't be our pick and I'd put all my ROD dollars on it.

( Lol, totally talked myself into it.)

fearsomefour

Legend
Dont care for drafting a QB in the second round, with a pick in the upper half of the second round, should be looking for an eventual starter and contributor there from day 1 in my opinion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know, either. We have two starting OT's if they can just stay healthy. If we draft one of the OT's I think we need to give him the Saffold treatment and start them off a OG or move Long to OG. But why draft an OT that high if there isn't an OT spot open? It makes NO sense to me. You cent just bench your new first round OT and wait for an injury. Sure the injury will happen, Long most assuredly won't last the season, but I just don't like it. It's a wasted pick!

In lamens terms, we in no way in heck should draft an OT early. We have two starters so let's actually put our pick to good use or trade it. I'm convinced OT won't be our pick and I'd put all my ROD dollars on it.

( Lol, totally talked myself into it.)

An O t in round 1 makes a lot of sense. Despite it being a lackluster pick, LOT remains the second most valuable player on a team. Every year they go top 5 and last season they were 1 and 2. You roll with a jake Long or Joe Barksdale because that is the best you have. But if there is a chance to have top talent at that spot you grab it. Remember that both of the top OTs can play on the right side. A guy like Robinson may be best suited on that side but he would instantly improve the running game. I think Matthews is the most likely pick if the Rams stat put though. Teams don't get a shot at top OT talent unless they are picking at the top and from what I gather the Rams are pretty confident that they won't have another high pick for several years. They need to get their future OLT while they can.

I wouldn't even dick around with trading the #2 pick. I would take Jake Matthews and then trade the #13 pick. They probably can land a good guard moving back in round1 or early in round2. Fixing the Oline will go a long ways toward completing the offense.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
An O t in round 1 makes a lot of sense. Despite it being a lackluster pick, LOT remains the second most valuable player on a team. Every year they go top 5 and last season they were 1 and 2. You roll with a jake Long or Joe Barksdale because that is the best you have. But if there is a chance to have top talent at that spot you grab it. Remember that both of the top OTs can play on the right side. A guy like Robinson may be best suited on that side but he would instantly improve the running game. I think Matthews is the most likely pick if the Rams stat put though. Teams don't get a shot at top OT talent unless they are picking at the top and from what I gather the Rams are pretty confident that they won't have another high pick for several years. They need to get their future OLT while they can.

I wouldn't even dick around with trading the #2 pick. I would take Jake Matthews and then trade the #13 pick. They probably can land a good guard moving back in round1 or early in round2. Fixing the Oline will go a long ways toward completing the offense.

So we draft a LT and let him sit??? We are in a position to draft a developmental LT perhaps in round 2. Saffold was a second round pick and started day 1. We need guards more than tackles and there are none worth a top 15 pick. Let's actually draft players we need right now.

To restate what i said, We don't need a top 10 LT as long as we're paying Long the big bucks. I agree we need to upgrade the position by drafting a quality depth guy in case of injury. That's how you maximize your picks.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Geesh, where are the highlighted bits so that I can just scan the important parts?