Detailed Report from the Demoff Rams Fans Dinner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He says that the Rams and CVC are combining to improve the sound system in the Dome. He said the CVC is spending 5 million in upgrades to the system. Also hopes to improve the cell phone reception in the Dome, says it’s bad and noted some laughable issues he had with his own cell phone trying to contact his wife after the Bears game, and was receiving text messages hours after the game was over from her that she sent before the game. Also noted the Rams are paying to upgrade the food selection and concession areas to make them better and have contracts out for bid.

Thank

fucking

God

jap

Legend
Do you agree with him saying that our defense is already playoff ready? I don't. Not with our current secondary. It's close, but there are still key holes to fill.

The secondary is where it is due to the lack of good coverage by the safeties. Jenks is a gambler, and he is at his best when he's doing that, but he needs to be protected on top while he learns to adjust to the better QB's in this league. Tru plays his man more honestly but is a press corner like Jenks and could use some occasional help deep. TJ Mac was as solid as one could expect from a rookie, but he did lose some games to injury.

I have no idea what the true problem with Cort is, but something has to give this offseason.

The Incredible Brock did not advance as much as I wanted, but DT's normally require three seasons to round into prime condition technique-wise. Langford definitely step up, enough that I will have to come up with some kind of a nickname for him eventually. Chris Long is returning from a season of nicked up injuries that derail his play too much. I expect him to return to double digit sack territory nest year. I want The Mighty One to target the official sack record as a short-term goal next season and the unofficial Deacon Jones mark as his long term goal. Let's get that NFL team sack record, brothers!!!

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So we draft a LT and let him sit??? We are in a position to draft a developmental LT perhaps in round 2. Saffold was a second round pick and started day 1. We need guards more than tackles and there are none worth a top 15 pick. Let's actually draft players we need right now.

To restate what i said, We don't need a top 10 LT as long as we're paying Long the big bucks. I agree we need to upgrade the position by drafting a quality depth guy in case of injury. That's how you maximize your picks.

I know this is extra long but there is some new meat in here!:whistle:

First lets just take Jake Matthews to apply to your your 3 question marks:) could JM start @ both of the Rams OG posts? Absolutely JM could.JM has started on both sides of the OL left & right. If Jake Long suffered a set back in his rehabbing event late into pre-season who would you trust the blind side of Sam Bradford with? as you suggest it would be a second or third day developmental draft pick? Not good for the health of a QB who has missed major portions or all of three of his last five playing seasons due to injuries. So with a talent & skilled prospect like a JM Rams get an instant insertions of a OL'er who can pass block & run block with high proficiency that can inserted into any of the four OL posts. Plus now you have your starting 2015 ORT when Joe Barksdale enter UFA. Sound so very wise & smart to me.

Ok secondly if we selected OLT Gerald Robinson you have a some of what you get with JM. GR would be an instant upgrade @ OLG post not seen by Ram fans for many decades. GR would not sit for a one second with this current Ram OL. He may be a bit green in his pass pro technique but he has been blessed with the ability to be better as a OLT than Jake Long once he gets some more experienced under his belt. Would it be smart to pass on drafting a future young Jake Long? That could make you :sick: in a season or two.

To you point on a developmental OLT that you think will be there on Day two? The need for OG's would still remain even if JM or GR took up one of the OG starting positions. The Saffold selection was the very first selection on the second day of the draft #33rd. Basically just 1 pick away from being a first rd pick. I need some help cause I do not see a college OLT that probably be there with our #44 th pick in the second rd can you help me find one. The Rams were very lucky to land a OLT back in 2010. But Saffold was not selected to be a OLT he was selected to be a ORT but Jason Smith was unable to play OLT in the opening weeks of the 2010 TC so Saffold claimed it and never looked back that season. NFL orgs. never know what may happen to your critical starting OLT it sure was good planning by the 2010 Ram Org to have drafted a OT was it not?;)

Now on to the big bucks that's being paid...NFL teams do pay OT's big bucks look how fast the OT's went off the draft boards just less than a yr ago in the draft. Teams like KC Chiefs, Eagles & Chargers took OT's in the first half of the first rounds & all three ended up playing in the playoffs a position those teams were not in in 2012....not saying that the reason but its there.

That got my small brain to working some....there have been dozens of first round WR's like Rams Tavon Austin was selected in the first round over the last half decade. Wonder who many of those first picks ended up in the payoffs as a rookie..where those teams were not there the year previously ....Zero! o_OThat's odd. Looks to me that NFL Orgs place a very high priority on selecting OT's even today. (y)It sure made the GM's for the Eagles/Chiefs & Chargers:D.

I mentioned that Barksdale will be a UFA 2015 think that a 2 yr young healthy large smart ORT like JB will not demand "Big Bucks" in 2015? What happens if Jake Long mounting surgeries & aging war torn body can no longer hold back the speeders @ RDE? In 2015 the Rams could be minus a ORT due to UFA and be forced to pay "Big Bucks" for a degrading declining 30 yr old high cost OLT with no legit OT on the roster to assist them in this nasty OL situation. We know that half that scenario is going to occur the other half is also possible too. How smart would it look if the Rams had made the proper selection in preparations for these up coming issues & not just grab that shinny flashy bright WR off the toy shelf but prepare smartly for the future probable situations that will have more serious implications on the overall future Ram teams.

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
The secondary is where it is due to the lack of good coverage by the safeties. Jenks is a gambler, and he is at his best when he's doing that, but he needs to be protected on top while he learns to adjust to the better QB's in this league. Tru plays his man more honestly but is a press corner like Jenks and could use some occasional help deep. TJ Mac was as solid as one could expect from a rookie, but he did lose some games to injury.

I have no idea what the true problem with Cort is, but something has to give this offseason.

The Incredible Brock did not advance as much as I wanted, but DT's normally require three seasons to round into prime condition technique-wise. Langford definitely step up, enough that I will have to come up with some kind of a nickname for him eventually. Chris Long is returning from a season of nicked up injuries that derail his play too much. I expect him to return to double digit sack territory nest year. I want The Mighty One to target the official sack record as a short-term goal next season and the unofficial Deacon Jones mark as his long term goal. Let's get that NFL team sack record, brothers!!!

Having no FS definitely hurts but I think Jenkins' issue is that he can't play zone. He's also horrible at tackling. I'm hoping he works harder this offseason and improves on those aspects.

Cortland is just done, IMO. He started declining around the 5th game of last year(2012). He hasn't looked good since. Some say it's due to injury but if he's been injured since last season then he's too injury prone and should be dropped. If he hasn't been injured then he's just bad and should be dropped. So there's your answer on him.

So that leaves us with no third CB. That's a major hole considering how much we play nickle. If they want to make the playoffs they are going to need to get a FS and CB that can come in and play well relatively soon. That's a tall order to fill if they get either in the draft after the 2nd round. The other option is free agency. If Saffold isn't re-signed then I think the Rams will target one of those positions and fill the other in the draft. We'll see. I just hope they don't neglect FS.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yep, I see your point. Just a minor hole in your argument was the 2012 tackles that were picked high and all the teams went to the Playoffs. Eric Fisher was hurt early and barely saw the field. Their veteran, Albert, held down the fort.

No I can't help you pick out a second round tackle. I knew nothing of Saffold in the 2010 draft and know nothing of those guys outside of the top 3.

I understand your argument very well. You convinced me Matthews is a better prospect than Richardson because of his versatility. He would be our new Saffold, though Saffold dominated as an OG and Matthews is a rookie.

Matthews is the probably the right pick because he fills more than 1 need but he is not my favorite. If we don't pick him it's like going into 2013 without a capable back-up QB behind Sam. If we do pick him we miss out on Watkins and Clowney who could both really help our team. I do agree Matthews would help us more than those two because we don't have the cap space to get another guy. In doing so we miss out on Warkins unless we trade up, very sad. Quick just doesn't have the hands to be truly elite, IMO.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Having no FS definitely hurts but I think Jenkins' issue is that he can't play zone. He's also horrible at tackling. I'm hoping he works harder this offseason and improves on those aspects.

Cortland is just done, IMO. He started declining around the 5th game of last year(2012). He hasn't looked good since. Some say it's due to injury but if he's been injured since last season then he's too injury prone and should be dropped. If he hasn't been injured then he's just bad and should be dropped. So there's your answer on him.

So that leaves us with no third CB. That's a major hole considering how much we play nickle. If they want to make the playoffs they are going to need to get a FS and CB that can come in and play well relatively soon. That's a tall order to fill if they get either in the draft after the 2nd round. The other option is free agency. If Saffold isn't re-signed then I think the Rams will target one of those positions and fill the other in the draft. We'll see. I just hope they don't neglect FS.
Jenkz real problem when playing Zone is that he peeks at the QB too long and loses his man. I'm not real sure if he has good peripheral vision or not. That ... and the Safeties are horrible at getting over the top on those zones. Our DB's always seem to be confused at here and who they are taking ... and waaayy late diagnosing where the ball is going. Once the QB sets his feet and turns his shoulders, they should be coming up on thier man. But they almost always seem to wait until the ball is caught .... hurts my head to watch.

V3

Hall of Fame
Jenkz real problem when playing Zone is that he peeks at the QB too long and loses his man. I'm not real sure if he has good peripheral vision or not. That ... and the Safeties are horrible at getting over the top on those zones. Our DB's always seem to be confused at here and who they are taking ... and waaayy late diagnosing where the ball is going. Once the QB sets his feet and turns his shoulders, they should be coming up on thier man. But they almost always seem to wait until the ball is caught .... hurts my head to watch.

Hopefully Williams can fix that. I wonder if his scheme will be too tough, though? I've heard it's really complex.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep, I see your point. Just a minor hole in your argument was the 2012 tackles that were picked high and all the teams went to the Playoffs. Eric Fisher was hurt early and barely saw the field. Their veteran, Albert, held down the fort.No I can't help you pick out a second round tackle. I knew nothing of Saffold in the 2010 draft and know nothing of those guys outside of the top 3. I understand your argument very well. You convinced me Matthews is a better prospect than Richardson because of his versatility. He would be our new Saffold, though Saffold dominated as an OG and Matthews is a rookie. Matthews is the probably the right pick because he fills more than 1 need but he is not my favorite. If we don't pick him it's like going into 2013 without a capable back-up QB behind Sam. If we do pick him we miss out on Watkins and Clowney who could both really help our team. I do agree Matthews would help us more than those two because we don't have the cap space to get another guy. In doing so we miss out on Warkins unless we trade up, very sad. Quick just doesn't have the hands to be truly elite, IMO.

I sure enjoy having discussions with you mr.stlouis you are a true Sammy Watkins fan. I hate to miss out on him too plus many others guess that why so many GM's do not last that long do to the high priced game of chance called NFL DRAFT. Yes JM is..... for most ROD'mers so boring!:sleep:. I like GR too now don't get me too wrong here. Down here where I am GR was seen often & he never failed to impress me. I was not surprise when he shot up the NFL draft charts like not seen in a long time when he let it be known he it was his last season in Auburn. yes you are correct JM would be a perfect swing OT too if he did take up one of the OG posts as a starter so he does bring more to the team early than a GR selection. Sure looks like Snead is fully convinced that all these pass catchers we have will get over the dropsy virus and fulfill the team draft projections for them without having to add a priceless rare high valued #2 selection for one.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully Williams can fix that. I wonder if his scheme will be too tough, though? I've heard it's really complex.
I'm thinking we may just go FA for our FS. There are a few out there with familiarity with GW's scheme. That would help a LOT ... and still wouldn't prevent us from taking one in the draft.... again ... build for depth and the future.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I rember sitting up in the nose bleeds a few years ago. The announcer over the speakers sounded like a faint yell from a long ways off. If the crowd was loud at all you couldn't hear anything.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The sound system in the early days was really bad at the, then, TWA dome.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So we draft a LT and let him sit??? We are in a position to draft a developmental LT perhaps in round 2. Saffold was a second round pick and started day 1. We need guards more than tackles and there are none worth a top 15 pick. Let's actually draft players we need right now.

To restate what i said, We don't need a top 10 LT as long as we're paying Long the big bucks. I agree we need to upgrade the position by drafting a quality depth guy in case of injury. That's how you maximize your picks.

No you don't let him sit. I guarantee that both Matthews and Robinson would start over Barksdale. They could also play Guard too. You let Barksdale sit. He will be a free agent in a year anyway and probably be gone. If he sits the Rams may have a better chance of keeping him for when Jake Longs contract is up or moves on because he can't stay healthy.

If Matthews was good enough from the get go I would move Jake Long to ORT and let Matthews play on the left side. But I am not sure if Jake Long ever played on the right side. I know that Matthews did and some project Robinson as a ORT.

Developmental guys work better when you are talking about Guards and even Centers. To get a great OLT you need to take them high. Just look at the draft history.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No you don't let him sit. I guarantee that both Matthews and Robinson would start over Barksdale. They could also play Guard too. You let Barksdale sit. He will be a free agent in a year anyway and probably be gone. If he sits the Rams may have a better chance of keeping him for when Jake Longs contract is up or moves on because he can't stay healthy.

If Matthews was good enough from the get go I would move Jake Long to ORT and let Matthews play on the left side. But I am not sure if Jake Long ever played on the right side. I know that Matthews did and some project Robinson as a ORT.

Developmental guys work better when you are talking about Guards and even Centers. To get a great OLT you need to take them high. Just look at the draft history.

Elmgrovegnome on this possible future move of Jake Long to ORT after Barksdale hits UFA in 2015....Jake has had surgeries now after the conclusion of the 2011, 2012 & now 2013 seasons. One can easy say he is expected to return fully healthy for the 2014 season...that may very well be possible but just how much more will the battle worn warrior still be able to move quickly to contain those speeders?

I wonder how much of Long breakdowns & losses on speeders early last season caused Fisher to change the offense to a run first offense? After the bye when we revamped the offense to Long best skill run blocking ..... Rams might be able to get more out of Long in the future @ ORT if his issues with speeders increases with the speed outside rushers @ OLT. If Barks departs then Jake could be happy to flip and let a new drafted fresh legged healthy OT take over that left side OT post. Jake Long should be able to excel there & where he would be more comfortable.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The sound system in the early days was really bad at the, then, TWA dome.

That is what they are currently still using. The new system that they picked I believe is JBL and is pretty common amongst venues and tours.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I

How does Fishers's history of not drafting OL high fit in the mix? I am warming up to OL in high rounds, though. A very strong running game is a necessity in this division.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I never prescribed to that idea about Fisher not drafting Oline early.

We are talking about an OLT here. That is a different animal than a guard or center. Plus Fisher never needed to draft an OLT high in the past because he inherited a great one. And, according to war room reports the Rams board had both Warmack and Cooper with high first round grades. Plus they said Decastro was a first round option the year before. They also wanted Warford but not in round1.

It really sounds to me like they were ready to go Oline early if things played out right. But that plan was skewed by better players at positions of greater need.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Well it's a though deal, a threatened move, and jackals at your feet with no football knowledge. Demoff has to give answers. Rams have improved from 2007-11. Only reason 2010 wasn't a 3-13 season is Sam had one of best rookie QB seasons ever wuth on--the-job rookies coaching.

Then the high ankle sprain. That;s reality. Since them over 28 TDs and 11 TDs in his final 16. He's doing will is all but one aspect and then all the false and ohony ones make up by guys who played high school ball. Watkins will help. Watlins and an FS will help. Rams have drafted fast defenders. And we've done well vs. NFL West. We need this 3ed ther than the fleecing of Skins oin RG# to get a coupl more fast players.