DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Waiting on the contract details. Have seen as low as $2.75M and as high as $4.5M.

Both reference incentives that could take the cap hit over $6M

The incentives referenced include health/durability-related, performance-related and team-related. That's important because certain incentives are deemed more ascertainable and likely than others, and therefore count against the cap from Day 1 while others come into play if/when reached.

We really don't know what Jackson's cap hit is at the moment.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't know where the OA got his $2.5M figure from because Jackson signed a one year deal for $4.5M (per Spotrac). That's a lot to pay a guy at the end of his career and injury-prone. He will have to be an impact player and play the entire season to justify that contract IMO. The types of injuries could be indicative of a player trying to regain lost form. How injury prone? This injury prone:

From Fox News

STATS GAME LOG NEWS TRANSACTIONS INJURIES
SEASONWEEKDESCRIPTIONSTATUS
202017AnkleOut
20206HamstringOut
20205HamstringOut
20204HamstringOut
20199AbdomenQuestionable
20198AbdomenOut
20197AbdomenOut
20196AbdomenOut
20195AbdomenOut
20194AbdomenOut
20193AbdomenOut
201817AchillesDoubtful
201816ThumbQuestionable
201815ThumbOut
201814ThumbOut
201813ThumbOut
201812ThumbQuestionable

Sorry but I for one don't see this as the best of signings, especially since who knows how much speed he's lost.

It was reported it's a 4.5 mil deal but only a 3.26 mil cap hit in 2021. He's got a base salary of 2.75 mil with a per game bonus of 103,000 plus incentives if he plays 50% of the offensive snaps AND the Rams improve (I would assume 11-5 or better or perhaps better than #20 in offensive scoring or both). He's got incentives for postseason production also which could amount to 6.5 if all items are met. Personally, I hope we're paying him 6.5 mil because that would mean great things for the Rams.

As reported by Garofolo on 3/25: " DeSean Jackson’s one-year deal with the #Rams, which he signed today: $4.5 million base value with incentives that can take it up to $6.25 million. In this market, for a 34-year-old receiver who’s been banged up the last two years, that’s good coin. "

As reported by J. Rodrigue on 3/25: " Breakdown of the DeSean Jackson contract, per source: $2.75 million base - $103,000 incentive for each game on active game day roster - $1.25 million incentive if he plays 50% of offensive snaps "and team improves" - Up to $1 million playoff incentives - Cap number is $3.26M "

Last edited:

jap

Legend
agree only to the sense of all the other parts are right. I’m not saying he will be thenPunt returner.I think he will be in the mix,especially if Copper Kupp is back there in practice returning punts.
Your answer only makes me think it will happen even more. Begs & takes a cheap shot. His excitement when ask the question said a lot.Mcvay & DJ have a few things brewing was the answer.
—Total situational only is mine

Sean and Djax are probably looking at situational usage of KR/PR opportunities. It is similar to how the Mad Mike Martz would sometimes employ Marshall Faulk as a KR/PR when they hoped to give the special teams a boost in critical situations. You would not! want to use an older, special athlete regularly in these roles because petty opponents will definitely resort to cheap shots to negate their regular roles in the Horns schemes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sean and Djax are probably looking at situational usage of KR/PR opportunities. It is similar to how the Mad Mike Martz would sometimes employ Marshall Faulk as a KR/PR when they hoped to give the special teams a boost in critical situations. You would not! want to use an older, special athlete regularly in these roles because petty opponents will definitely resort to cheap shots to negate their regular roles in the Horns schemes.

Exactly- it makes to much sense.DJ has always had that skill set.He knows that he is a smaller guy,but still has that passion.I didn’t know he got hurt by taking a cheap shot from the Giants. I’ve followed his career and listened to his interview.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you listen to the interview above he basically says all the right things & shows his growth as player & a person. He reflects back all the way to his youth. I grew up in the LBC & get what he is saying.He knows the certain areas & doesn’t put one place in front of another.That is respecting & knowing each territory & groups.There is cavity’s all throughout the LA(Compton) Long Beach area’s.I’ll continue to post later on this .An excellent signing

DJ is about giving back & winning.I can

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is nothing but a pure Rams gamble of very rare salary cap funds on what McVay truly believes he needs to make this offense work.

soooo ............ where was this kind of player last season if mcvay needs said kind of player to make his offense work?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
soooo ............ where was this kind of player last season if mcvay needs said kind of player to make his offense work?

You could have a dozen of 20 yr old Jackson's on the team in 2020 it would not have helped one bit because McVay had a QB who for some reason could not make the throws.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
You could have a dozen of 20 yr old Jackson's on the team in 2020 it would not have helped one bit because McVay had a QB who for some reason could not make the throws.

Yeah, just like he couldn't make them in 2017 and 2018. Remember the KC game?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How are you so sure if that player wasn't on the team?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
@ReddingRam mentions Darrell Green, and how he kept his speed and quickness late into his career... and he definitely did. Green was amazing.

Health concerns aside, it sure looks like Jackson still has that burst. There is only one Darrell Green... but he is an example they don’t all “lose it” in their early 30’s.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm still seeing her. Woman of my dreams finally found her at age 40. (I don't think I can post pics of her on here, esp these days).

View: https://youtu.be/qsstzfp6nyo

I met my wife when I was 38. From the first day we met we connected. In a month it was like we had known each other our entire lives. We were married 5 months later and are very happy.
Last year was our 15th anniversary.

I hope it works out for you. And I was joking about the pictures.

Tano

Legend
He could make the throws. After watching the Miami game, he only had a couple throws at most where he might have been able to throw deep. And a lot of other games (second Seattle game as a big example) were just like that. I am sick and tired of defending HWSRN. Just stop. He is no longer on the team.

Let's talk about Stafford and what he can do with Jackson.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@ReddingRam mentions Darrell Green, and how he kept his speed and quickness late into his career... and he definitely did. Green was amazing.

Health concerns aside, it sure looks like Jackson still has that burst. There is only one Darrell Green... but he is an example they don’t all “lose it” in their early 30’s.
True but Green played 20 years and didn't play 16 games only like 4 or 5 of those years. Green was the model the exception not the rule you'd have to think based on health especially in Washington.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Apologies if this has been posted already, but this article got me fired up.

DJax LED THE LEAGUE in average yards per catch in 2 out of the 3 years he was in McVay's offense in Washington.

I think we sometimes forget how important "scheme fit" is. DJax doesn't have to think, he knows the O, so he can just play.

Just stay healthy-- yea, a big if-- and then this signing is a home run.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DJax LED THE LEAGUE in average yards per catch in 2 out of the 3 years he was in McVay's offense in Washington.
He's led the NFL in yards per catch 4 times in his career (most recently 2018) and leads all active players in yards per catch for career