Demoff on Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Agreed, Bart, let's look beyond the win-loss record. Let's look at the zero playoff berths, the zero division titles, the offense finishing in the bottom 5 in the NFL in scoring each year since Schotty left, and the Rams showing no consistency under Fisher except for the ability to lose 6 out of their first 10 games every year.

Yes, let's look beyond the win-loss record. It does give you a clue. It clues you in that Fisher is one of the least effective coaches in football right now. And it clues you in that for all the complaints about Schotty, our offense has gotten significantly worse each time Fisher has hired a coordinator. I'll even post the numbers for you:
2012: 18.7 PPG (25th) (Schotty)
2013: 21.8 PPG (21st) (Schotty)
2014: 20.3 PPG (21st) (Schotty)
2015: 17.5 PPG (29th) (Cignetti)
2016: 15.5 PPG (32nd) (Boras)

Not only does Fisher fail to win games, he completely and utterly fails when trying to hire offensive-minded coaches.

I agree with you on most but a serious question here how much does this attribute to the QB's we have had? do you think another coach could have made our QB's better? with those QB's would we have been better in PPG?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So, collectively, the team has had the WORST case of jet lag in the history of flight.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with you on most but a serious question here how much does this attribute to the QB's we have had? do you think another coach could have made our QB's better? with those QB's would we have been better in PPG?

We lost Bradford in 2013 and 2014. We had to start backup QBs. The offense still finished 21st. Fisher chose his QB (Foles) and his OC (Cignetti) in 2015. The offense finished 29th. Fisher again had his choice of OC and QB this year. Offense is currently 32nd.

It's Fisher.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Five years of Fisherball has produced an offense that is less potent than that fielded by the winless Cleveland Browns, who have a first year HC.

If the move to LA was so awfully tramatic for the players, then why hasn't the defense also sunk into the abyss? (New Orleans game excepted).

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Any offense under Fisher is a boring offense. The OC's change but the results stay the same. If you love Fisherball than cool but I'm not a fan of outdated/losing philosophies.
Oh you want GSOT, yeah that's probably not happening since after all Greatest Show and all you know. Probably not seeing Fearsome Foursome again either, too bad.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We lost Bradford in 2013 and 2014. We had to start backup QBs. The offense still finished 21st. Fisher chose his QB (Foles) and his OC (Cignetti) in 2015. The offense finished 29th. Fisher again had his choice of OC and QB this year. Offense is currently 32nd.

It's Fisher.
Fisher did not choose Foles to be his QB. Foles was a throw in when Bradford would not rework his contract and the Rams had a chance to dump him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher did not choose Foles to be his QB. Foles was a throw in when Bradford would not rework his contract and the Rams had a chance to dump him.

Fisher did choose Foles. He even extended Foles. If Fisher didn't want Foles, he could have gone out and gotten another starting QB. He didn't.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Oh you want GSOT, yeah that's probably not happening since after all Greatest Show and all you know. Probably not seeing Fearsome Foursome again either, too bad.

GSOT? Lol after watching Fisher's offense for the last 5 seasons I'd settle merely for an average offense. Probably not seeing that ever achieved with Fisher as head coach.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
what happened to too much talent to go 7-9? On top of all that "talent" the rams have been incredibly healthy especially on the offensive side of the ball until saffold injury.

I don't expect Demoff to come out and bad mouth Fisher, but I am tired of the excuses and BS. I'd rather he said nothing. Fisher needs to go and I am glad the public pressure is mounting. If these guys extend him after yet another loosing season filled with putrid offense, man I don't know

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Exactly, that does not sound like ground and pound "Fisherball" to me.
It sounds like Fisherball was failing miserably so they abandoned it for a horizontal passing game that accomplished nothing more than a LOT of short attempts. What difference does it make how much a team throws it if that team doesn't score or move the ball???

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You forgot Boras, and to some degree, Boudreau. In fact, I don't put much of that on Snead at all, he got Fisher the players he wanted, and his defensive picks have looked great (which, coincides with the unit that has generally played will this season, the Saints game being the exception rather than the rule). On the other hand, Boras is not only the offensive coordinator, but the running coordinator - the run game is HIS design. And I suspect he's the one who decides on the blocking schemes, which clearly are not working with our personnel. Boudreau, meanwhile, seems to have lost his touch. Maybe it's because Boras is asking him to coach his unit in ways they are not suited for, I don't know. But he's got to take at least a little bit of the responsibility.

That being said, your view that Fisher is the common denominator is right on the mark.

Throwing 40 times a game in a Mike Martz offense is exciting, because it means you are completing lots of passes, moving the ball, racking up yards, and scoring lots of points.

Throwing 40 times a game on Fisherball team means your running game is pathetic, you are behind on the scoreboard, and you are both ineffective and desperate.

I'll leave it to you to decide which one of those is exciting in your view. I know the latter most definitely is not in mine. And I'm going to go out on a metaphorical limb and guess that I'm not alone.

It was pretty exciting the first half against the Saints. Pretty exciting in Detroit. I agree there have been some terrible games that would suck the life out of the stadium but that should be in the past and this team with a couple of tweeks will be a lot more like Goff throwing 3 fist half TDs than Greg the leg kicking 3 field goals in a game.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Agreed, Bart, let's look beyond the win-loss record. Let's look at the zero playoff berths, the zero division titles, the offense finishing in the bottom 5 in the NFL in scoring each year since Schotty left, and the Rams showing no consistency under Fisher except for the ability to lose 6 out of their first 10 games every year.

Yes, let's look beyond the win-loss record. It does give you a clue. It clues you in that Fisher is one of the least effective coaches in football right now. And it clues you in that for all the complaints about Schotty, our offense has gotten significantly worse each time Fisher has hired a coordinator. I'll even post the numbers for you:
2012: 18.7 PPG (25th) (Schotty)
2013: 21.8 PPG (21st) (Schotty)
2014: 20.3 PPG (21st) (Schotty)
2015: 17.5 PPG (29th) (Cignetti)
2016: 15.5 PPG (32nd) (Boras)

Not only does Fisher fail to win games, he completely and utterly fails when trying to hire offensive-minded coaches.
The most important thing to look at is who was playing QB after that first year. After that who were the skill players those back up QBs had to work with the next couple of years? Any of them getting much work this year in the league?

And now we finally have a guy who by your own evaluation is special. How much are things going to change if he stays healthy?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm sure we threw it the ball 55 times in London .. but as Jeff was playing case it all went a bit Pete Tong ... the only thing and I mean the only thing that matters is the win loss record and for the last five years regardless of circumstances and the situation Jeff hasn't gotten his team over .500 hell he hasn't got us to .500 ... I'm not advocating firing him (I mean he is so close to being number one in a stat wouldn't want to take that away from him ) ... but come the end of the season there's a hand shake a thank you and a pink slip for Jeff and his brand of football
So you don't consider how they got to that record or who was on the roster or who was injured during the year? Having Goff makes no difference going forward? Is he going to get slammed because he is 0-2 now? I don't think so.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The most important thing to look at is who was playing QB after that first year. After that who were the skill players those back up QBs had to work with the next couple of years? Any of them getting much work this year in the league?

And now we finally have a guy who by your own evaluation is special. How much are things going to change if he stays healthy?

That's the hilarious part. When you look at who was playing QB, you recognize that the offense should have been better in 2015 and 2016 when Fisher got to pick his QB. The offense got worse. And it just happened to coincide with Fisher picking new OCs.

You can't blame the players and coaches FISHER CHOSE for the failure of this offense to be better without blaming Fisher.

How much will things change if Goff stays healthy? They'll change greatly. But I'd rather Goff reach his full potential with a coach who knows how to put together a functional offense than be held back with a consistently mediocre coach in Fisher.

Goff shouldn't be forced to carry Fisher. Goff should have a coach who brings out the best in him and this team.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
GSOT? Lol after watching Fisher's offense for the last 5 seasons I'd settle merely for an average offense. Probably not seeing that ever achieved with Fisher as head coach.
Probably not seeing that again with any coaching staff. But with Goff, Gurley, Austin, Britt, Cooper, maybe a veteran center and a "normal" offseason and another year of Groh and I think we are seeing more of what you are looking for with Fisher leading the way.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It sounds like Fisherball was failing miserably so they abandoned it for a horizontal passing game that accomplished nothing more than a LOT of short attempts. What difference does it make how much a team throws it if that team doesn't score or move the ball???
It sounds like the players weren't getting it done so they were trying everything they could think of and were 3-1 before blowing a couple of winnable games. One because the defense couldn't stop Detroit, a couple because they couldn't get a late score, another because they couldn't hold the lead against the Giants. Lots of failures for different reasons but they were competitive in nearly every game. Now with Goff we saw what he could do in the first half but the defense blew it in NO and the blew a 4th Q lead at home. They are coming.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you for the entertainment. I'm gonna need more popcorn.