DC Pro Sports Report says McVay in as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are short on linebackers as it is and dont have a lot of draft capital to spend on a shift to 3-4 with the offense in the shape it's in. My hope is that he would still be able to be effective coaching a 4-3 because relying on Quinn to be an OLB when he can't stay healthy and having no real depth is scary to me.

I think I'd go the opposite direction. If we're worried about Quinn's health, I'd rather run a 3-4. Quinn's health is an issue whether he's a DE or OLB. It's easier to replace a guy like Quinn in the 3-4 because you have more options in regards to blitzes to manufacture a pass rush. You can find a good depth guy fairly cheap because they don't have to be an elite pass rusher.

Instead, you get a guy who can do a bit of everything. You then use blitzes to scheme him into mismatches or free rushes. That's if we lose Quinn.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I'm not so sure about Williams. The Broncos got gashed this year by running games. Plus, it seems like Wade has tended to prefer disruptors at NT. Would be very interested in a few FAs out there depending on their price tag. Jonathan Hankins is a guy who really intrigues me.

I also wonder if DeMarcus Ware would join us at a reasonable rate since he seems to love Phillips.

Meh, at his current age, is the production really worth it? I'd much rather take my chances on a young player in that same role to see if we can sort of jump-start his career than a guy that will probably best contribute to ticket sales.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
IF the Rams do announce the signing of a head coach today, do you think it's largely in part of the chargers relocation news? I think that they should just wait it out and interview Shanahan before making a premature decision.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We are short on linebackers as it is and dont have a lot of draft capital to spend on a shift to 3-4 with the offense in the shape it's in. My hope is that he would still be able to be effective coaching a 4-3 because relying on Quinn to be an OLB when he can't stay healthy and having no real depth is scary to me.

There's always FA, depending on who we cut this offseason will give us some cap money to sign FAs. It's not the best choice but filling in to accommodate for the lack of draft capital is a viable alternative.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
IF the Rams do announce the signing of a head coach today, do you think it's largely in part of the chargers relocation news? I think that they should just wait it out and interview Shanahan before making a premature decision.

Don't really think that has anything to do with it. Rams have been zeroing in on McVay for some time now.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
15941061_402396283437679_4506921268713894330_n.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, at his current age, is the production really worth it? I'd much rather take my chances on a young player in that same role to see if we can sort of jump-start his career than a guy that will probably best contribute to ticket sales.

IMO, yes. We need to change the culture. Veteran leadership can help do that. Ware would also be an outstanding rotational pass rusher for us.

I wouldn't expect him to start. He'd be rotated in and out.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
From where I sit, I think calls for patience, while rational, might be unrealistic.

Assuming McVay has convinced brass that he's The Head Coach, what do they gain by waiting to interview Shanny?
- Confirmation of their beliefs
- Possibly indecision
- Possibly being turned on their heads, when Shanahan blows them out of the water

What do they stand to lose?
- The guy they believed was THE guy gets hired somewhere else
- His coordinator picks take offers elsewhere
- He decides the organization isn't for him, if they're not willing to make him their first choice

I think you have to assume that McVay has been super-impressive. It's also worth noting that Shanny hasn't been hired anywhere else, and nor has there been much momentum for that to happen, since the interview phase started.

What I'm saying is it actually doesn't make sense to wait, if you think you've found the guy.

EDIT: Welp. And there it is, so I guess this post is pointless.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pumped I wanted mcvay but kept quiet as every time I open my mouth about the Rams the opposite happens

IF Wade comes ...
And wants to install his 3-4 donwe mow consider trading Quinn for a tad more draft capital ? (I'm thinking a minimum of a first )

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think I'd go the opposite direction. If we're worried about Quinn's health, I'd rather run a 3-4. Quinn's health is an issue whether he's a DE or OLB. It's easier to replace a guy like Quinn in the 3-4 because you have more options in regards to blitzes to manufacture a pass rush. You can find a good depth guy fairly cheap because they don't have to be an elite pass rusher.

Instead, you get a guy who can do a bit of everything. You then use blitzes to scheme him into mismatches or free rushes. That's if we lose Quinn.

My issue is not being able to replace Quinn because we have basically done that over the past 2 seasons in the current system anyway. My problem is where are we suddenly coming up with the linebackers for this system change? As far as starting caliber linebackers, all we have is Ogletree, Barron (a converted safety), and debatably Josh Forrest. Cory Littleton and Bryce Hager are not realistic starting options. Then you have Quinn who can't stay healthy as the other OLB option?

I don't see us filling those needs in free agency or in the draft when we already need OT, OG, C, WR, S, and CB. If we switch, we are looking at a minimum 2 year defensive rebuild and how long does a 69 year old Wade Phillips have left? Just hard to make sense of that move.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My issue is not being able to replace Quinn because we have basically done that over the past 2 seasons in the current system anyway. My problem is where are we suddenly coming up with the linebackers for this system change? As far as starting caliber linebackers, all we have is Ogletree, Barron (a converted safety), and debatably Josh Forrest. Cory Littleton and Bryce Hager are not realistic starting options. Then you have Quinn who can't stay healthy as the other OLB option?

I don't see us filling those needs in free agency or in the draft when we already need OT, OG, C, WR, S, and CB. If we switch, we are looking at a minimum 2 year defensive rebuild and how long does a 69 year old Wade Phillips have left? Just hard to make sense of that move.

I don't agree. It's not a difficult switch. We're changing two positions at most. We have plenty of cap space. And Will Hayes might be able to play one of those two positions.

People overestimate the difference between the 4-3 and 3-4 in the modern NFL. Especially Wade Phillips's version of the 3-4.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I doubt Washington lets Callahan walk. Norv Turner is as close as you can come to an Air Coryell traditionalist in today's NFL. McVay came up under the Grudens and Mike/Kyle Shanahan. All of those guys run West Coast Offenses.

Isnt the air Coryell O, the original west coast O? The WCO that Walsh created in SF is a spin off from the air Coryell system, it just focuses more on the horizontal short passing game more than the vertical passing game of the Zampese version.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just wonder... If we hire McVay and he brings in Wade Phillips.. how will our defense convert to a 3-4? There'd be a lot of new faces on defense, that's for sure.
I believe Phillips has stated in the past, he doesn't necessarily Coach just a 3-4 D. He says he coaches to his players strengths! I don't think he would Try to switch us to a 3-4. But a mixture of schemes!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isnt the air Coryell O, the original west coast O? The WCO that Walsh created in SF is a spin off from the air Coryell system, it just focuses more on the horizontal short passing game more than the vertical passing game of the Zampese version.

Yes and no. There are similarities across all schemes because offenses all basically originated from the same people/places. But the Air Coryell and WCO are very different schemes with different philosophies and verbiage.