DC Pro Sports Report says McVay in as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you feel Donald would do as a 3-4 DE?

Donald's role likely wouldn't change. He'd still mainly play the 3-Technique. Although, it's possible Wade could move him to LDE. That would surprise me, though. But he'd be elite anywhere you put him.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Youngest HC in history ? As long as he is the best man for the job ... Good luck young man!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like many are saying.. I think it will be key to see who the supporting cast is before getting either excited or bummed about the hire.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams jumped the gun, they should have waited until after they interviewed Kyle Shanahan. Now they will never know what Kyle could have brought to the table, what plans he would have had or how much involvement his father would have had. Kyle Shanahan is less of an unkown and surly would have been more successful than Jeff Fisher and less of a gamble than McVey.

Now the Rams have hired an unknown quantity ,AGAIN. (Linehan, Spagnolo, etc.)

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO almost all of the Rams current DL could play DE in a 3-4 D Brockers and Thomas could rotate at NT. Depending on who is brought in for LB Tree, Barron or maybe both could play the rush LB spot. AD could play anywhere on the DL in a 3-4 in pass situations.

And the biggest plus, WP Ds have been near the top of the league for quite a few years now, he seems to be able to adapt to the strengths of his personell.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Has Phillips even said whether or not he still wants to coach at going on 70 ??? I'm not going to get all giddy or assume it's not a good move...I've done that far too many times over the years...They will hire who they want and we'll see how it works out...I've seen "wow, so and so along with with so and so, can anybody stop them ??"way, way too many times..I'll just sit back and watch it unfold...I said after the season that I would do that and I'm going to do it for once...Good luck Rams...Hope they get it right...

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Rams jumped the gun, they should have waited until after they interviewed Kyle Shanahan. Now they will never know what Kyle could have brought to the table, what plans he would have had or how much involvement his father would have had. Kyle Shanahan is less of an unkown and surly would have been more successful than Jeff Fisher and less of a gamble than McVey.

We dont know yet who McVay plans to bring in as OC and DC, it could be that his proposed staff made the Rams decide to pull the trigger now as to not lose out on the coordinaters that McVay wants to bring in before someone else snatches them up.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I'm not so sure about Williams. The Broncos got gashed this year by running games. Plus, it seems like Wade has tended to prefer disruptors at NT. Would be very interested in a few FAs out there depending on their price tag. Jonathan Hankins is a guy who really intrigues me.

I also wonder if DeMarcus Ware would join us at a reasonable rate since he seems to love Phillips.

I was thinking the same thing

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

Get on board Bubba! Shanny will still be interviewing next year. I don't get why people are so focused on him. He's been passed over for multiple jobs this year and last year but people still want to cling to him. We have a lot of people saying very great things about McVay that have worked with him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
IF the Rams do announce the signing of a head coach today, do you think it's largely in part of the chargers relocation news? I think that they should just wait it out and interview Shanahan before making a premature decision.

I think they signed him because the Chargers all of a sudden were very interested in him and the 9ers wanted him back for a 2nd interview.

McVay wasn't going to last until they could interview Kyle Shanahan. If they really liked McVay, it was hire him or lose him, basically.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Has Phillips even said whether or not he still wants to coach at going on 70 ??? I'm not going to get all giddy or assume it's not a good move...I've done that far too many times over the years...They will hire who they want and we'll see how it works out...I've seen "wow, so and so along with with so and so, can anybody stop them ??"way, way too many times..I'll just sit back and watch it unfold...I said after the season that I would do that and I'm going to do it for once...Good luck Rams...Hope they get it right...

If I understand it correctly, when a person goes into a HC interview, their staff list isn't a wish list, it's a list of a staff that they CAN GET. It's people they know, they've talked with and WILL COME if called. Now, they aren't exclusive lists, necessarily, which is why teams want to hire as early as possible.

But THAT is why McVay having Wade Philips on his list was so huge. It means that Wade Philips talked with Sean McVay in real terms about taking the LA Rams DC job if asked and he said yes.

Now...at the time, he hadn't been asked to stay in Denver.

As of this moment, there are conflicting reports out there. Vance Joseph has reportedly asked Wade Philips to stay in Denver while the reporting is that Wade Philips IS EXPECTED to join Sean McVay with the Rams.

But the inclusion of the name by McVay wasn't an idle inclusion like if we were asked to name who we'd start an NFL franchise with. No, this was real.

I have a feeling that the battle for Wade Philips is raging and both sides are putting on the full-court press.