Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point jrry even with a couple of rough games he is performing at levels that are good enough to keep the job, though I know you don't agree. Right now I think it's fair to say that Hill would not have played well in a couple of games too. He's no master at beating a wicked blitz that I know of and at 35 I think it's also fair to say that a few drives may not have been extended, and that can be the difference between a W and an L.

A slow start isn't a reason to yank a guy who really isn't struggling much more than most guys against the defenses he played and the pressure he was under because of the quality of the opponents, the ton of blitzes and an OL that had a couple of games where they struggled as a unit to keep a pocket for more than 2 seconds.

I hope Fisher lets him play the rest of the year. Let's see him in more situations and lets see what he actually is.

I disagree. I think there's a lot more to it than that. SF has a talented defense but they didn't play that well against us. I'll show you on Coach's film if I get a chance.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
This could be a "get well game" for Davis. No way I pull the plug if the first two series or so don't go well.

Point taken, but I would pull the plug on Davis at halftime if he still isn't performing average or better.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think most could agree Davis had a bad game this week and some weaknesses in his game may have been exposed but let's give the kid a break. He was thrown into the starting job and has had up and down protection from his OL. His OC has somewhat inconsistent also as the WR corps have morphed a bit too. He's also had a revolving door at RB to contend with as well.

If I were Coach Fisher, I'd start him in Arizona but would have a short lease. Hill is more than capable in the relief role. Hell, his whole career has been based on that role. No QB on this roster has been promised the reigns of this team. I think they all know this is probably a temporary gig and are thankful for the shot to show what they can do. I see no ill effects of QB by committee at this point. There's no hot hand or momentum to spoil. For this team to win, it will be an all for one, one for all mentality that rings up the Ws, not a superstar performance from one guy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've weighed in every week on Austin Davis, but if I include all of the weeks, and where I think he might have improved....I don't see him progressing as a starter.

To me, he looks really rattled out there, sometimes for a good reason, but sometimes, I don't think he should be. He doesn't seem to be progressing anymore, but regressing. I don't want to tear him apart, I'm not about that I was on record for saying that I'd like to see him start the rest of the year, but I retract that. With the defense playing well, finally, I want the best option to win out there. I'm not sure it's Davis anymore, but I'll leave that to the coaches.

I'd be interested in what else we have. At this point, I'd like to know who the backup should be next year, because I don't think the starting position is in question for me anymore. I didn't post this to piss on the win, or Davis. I'm stoked for the win, and all of Davis' contributions, so far, and maybe for the rest of the year.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Kenny Britt was open for a TD. He underthrew it and it was picked off. Lance Kendricks was open for a TD. He missed him and threw the ball away. These were two different drives that didn't result in TDs.

It's not a big jump at all to say he cost us 14.

Actually that does seem like a big jump. I am certain that if we go through the tape for Manning this year and last we can find many times he misses the best pass or doesn't make the perfect throw. The fact is no QB makes the best throw 100% of the time or finds the best target 100% of the time. You are cherry picking plays to make your point.

We get it you do not like Davis and you think Hill is better. Gotta wonder if you would hold him to the same standard though....

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Davis looks no better to me now than he did in preseason. I'll leave it at that.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Davis looks no better to me now than he did in preseason. I'll leave it at that.
Well he looked better to me after the first quarter Sunday than he did in the first,which is my main defense of him , he can play bad for a while in a game shake it off and basically come back,it's a quality a lot of young QB's just don't have ,hell there are a lot of veteran QB's who melt down and keep trying to force the ball after two ints.
To expect this kid to be as efficient at reading defenses now as he can be after 15 starts OTA's next year TC next year is to deny the benefits experience gives to those who will work at their craft.
For me all this presupposing that even the player we think we see now and the player we can well see at the end of this season is just not constructive ,there is nothing we can do now except insert Hill and the most informed people about what the play callers want from the position are squarely behind Davis .
So what we get then is posters who question the coaches acumen because they don't assess the situation in consort with said poster, which the first few times is what a message board is good for, but when it becomes a drumbeat like this issue is surely becoming ,it gets old and draws the air out of the board because a few won't say their peace about it and leave it at that.

It is my fervent hope that if/when we beat the Cardinals this week the people who can't leave this subject to the end of the season give it a rest

BTW Davis record is currently the same as Sam Bradfords was after 8 games during Fishers first two years and we are scoring as many or more points than we have under Bradford ,without training camp with the ones.
If I were coaching Davis ,I'd tell him when he breaks the pocket to go ahead and run more ,he can do it and it'll draw the coverage in more

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't know where the franchise QB talk comes from. What the Rams are doing right now is evaluating the next potential backup QB. Evidently, right now they think that might be Davis. They aren't going to give Hill the chance to win the job being that he will be 36. He will only come in if Fisher reaches the conclusion that Davis can't handle that role for next year. I don't think we should be trying to evaluate Davis as if we are looking at a future starter. His stats should be compared to Clemens or someone like that. Certainly not Rodgers or Manning, that's kinda foolish IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually that does seem like a big jump. I am certain that if we go through the tape for Manning this year and last we can find many times he misses the best pass or doesn't make the perfect throw. The fact is no QB makes the best throw 100% of the time or finds the best target 100% of the time. You are cherry picking plays to make your point.

We get it you do not like Davis and you think Hill is better. Gotta wonder if you would hold him to the same standard though....

No, it's not a big jump. I'd hold Manning responsible too if he just plain missed wide open receivers for TDs. That's 14 points. That's not at all "cherry-picking".

No, you don't get it. It has nothing to do with liking a player. I defended Davis a few weeks ago when people were talking about pulling him for Shaun Hill. So try again with your motive argument. It fails. I would absolutely hold Shaun Hill to the same standard. Would hold Bradford to it too.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
No, it's not a big jump. I'd hold Manning responsible too if he just plain missed wide open receivers for TDs. That's 14 points. That's not at all "cherry-picking".

No, you don't get it. It has nothing to do with liking a player. I defended Davis a few weeks ago when people were talking about pulling him for Shaun Hill. So try again with your motive argument. It fails. I would absolutely hold Shaun Hill to the same standard. Would hold Bradford to it too.

Then no QB meets your standards. EVERY QB has plays in games where they do not make the "perfect throw" or choose the best option. If you want perfection you are going to be left sad even by the best. Bradford last year against SF was 19/41 = 46.3% with an interception and a fumble lost +5 sacks. Were you saying the same things after that game?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't have a problem with Davis finishing the season. Its not like we have a lot of options. But I seriously doubt he's in their long term plans.

He's been rattled to the point of panic and not seeing open receivers. That is a concern. He bails at the first sign of pressure. That is another red flag. I'm not sure those are things that can be taught. I guarantee you teams will dial up the pressure until he shows he can handle it. I'm not sure he can.

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy with stuff about our young Davis:
Stuff.
Davis looks no better to me now than he did in preseason. I'm not saying that's a bad or a good thing. It would be nice if we could develop a decent backup QB though.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I like Davis. Seems like a good guy. But I would’ve pulled him after the second pick. The Rams needed that game. The season is on life support. Your defense is playing lights out. (for a change). Like an old baseball manager coming to the mound I’d say, “Kid, it’s not your day today. Let’s see what the vet can do in the second half.” It’s not about player development at that point. Or Austin’s progression. It’s about I need to get a win here as a coach. Does this kid give me the best chance after what I am seeing from him? Is it fair to the rest of the team to leave him in there and watch him struggle?
Which brings me to this…how come it’s ok to yank a starting pitcher after having a bad start, and the game is getting out of reach, but it’s considered taboo to pull a starting QB if he’s playing like dog doo doo? I think if done right, pulling a guy could be a valuable learning experience. Let him know it’s just for this game and won’t affect his next start. I like to think a QB would be mentally tough enough to handle that. And if he isn’t, maybe you don’t have the right guy.

iced

I think how davis goes from gun slinger to captain check down helps illustrate the conservativeness of the coaching staff...

if schotty is still here i expect to see more of the same from our next first rounder

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Guys, I think we need to put this baby to bed now...

Davis IS our QB, at the moment, sure he's a bit ropey, but he's winning games too - I don't think he's getting enough credit, less than a month ago the 49ers beat us at home, and its obvious defences are out to beat him into the ground and blitz him so he's moving right, but you know what, he's been our QB as we beat the Seahawks and we've just beaten the 49ers, so lets cut our 3-string QB some slack, and get behind the guy.

And, while I'm at it, if the rest of the guys on the team are picking up the slack around the field because our QB has (human) limitations, then I'm glad, they should be giving 110% EVERY week - it's not just the QB that should be accountable for a Win/Loss stat.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then no QB meets your standards. EVERY QB has plays in games where they do not make the "perfect throw" or choose the best option. If you want perfection you are going to be left sad even by the best. Bradford last year against SF was 19/41 = 46.3% with an interception and a fumble lost +5 sacks. Were you saying the same things after that game?

Yes. I was. I was very angry with Bradford after the game.

Meet what standards? I'm not demanding the perfect throw or the best option on every play. But I am demanding Davis not blow two TDs(one resulting in a terrible INT) all the while giving the other team 7 with another terrible throw and hindering our offense the entire game.

Poor play is poor play. You can rationalize but I will not accept it and try to justify Davis costing our team 14 on offense and leading the opposition to their only TD with a costly.

RamzFanz

Damnit

jrry is voicing his opinion on the QB situation. There's no reason to assign a motive like "he doesn't like Davis" or questioning if he would have the same opinion about Hill if Hill played like AD. You don't have to have an agenda or bias to prefer one over the other.

I was calling for AD last season and got treated the same way. Many of us believe Hill is the better QB. At the very least, I don't think he could be any worse. AD has had some great quarters. There might be some long term hope there but I want to see wins now, and, just as I have since AD was named the starter, I want to see what Hill has.

It doesn't mean I have an agenda, it doesn't mean I hate AD, it just means I still think Hill is the better QB and with good reason. If AD were lighting it up, I'd gladly admit I was wrong.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't mind having this discussion but can you tell me what your expectations were when Davis stepped in and what they are now?

OK that said I think a quick hook is a very bad idea. Davis is completing 64% of his passes for 7 YPA including two bad games. If he struggles early next week against one of the top 5 defenses in the league you want to pull him and insert Hill? Davis has been playing against excellent defenses, Dallas, SF twice, KC are all top 10. AZ is 13th, PHI is 17th, Tampa is a bottom feeder.

KC allows the fewest passing yards per game in the NFL. SF is third. Seattle is 6th. Dallas AZ is 32nd and they are tied for second fewest sacks with 8. This could be a "get well game" for Davis. No way I pull the plug if the first two series or so don't go well. AZ has allowed the 5th fewest points in the NFL this year so if the Rams aren't winning it could likely be more than Davis.

They have a weakness against the pass..........let Davis go to work.

As you say, Arizona is dead last against the pass so, yes, if AD isn't destroying them in the air or at least keeping up with them, I would give him the hook. Why not? What do the Rams have left to lose?

I still hold out hope for the Rams making a WC spot. I would make ANY change that I thought would help. We don't need to wonder who AD is anymore. We don't need to worry about his confidence. We need wins.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's I love what Austin Davis has brought to the table thus far, but there is no debating that his eyes looked much bigger against San Francisco. Now maybe that's because he had a tough second half against them a couple of weeks ago or the Chief game was still in his head, but he did have that "look" everyone is posting about.

Now next week IMO, if he struggles against a better defensive team in the desert and misses on some obvious scoring chances I don't have an issue with Fisher pulling him, but I'm confident he'll play better, however, I'm not sure he's the answer because I still believe the answer is playing on Saturday's.

Status
Not open for further replies.