Cosell: Davis Could be a Quality NFL Starting QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What issues do you see? I'm asking because other than the fact he has an average arm I don't find a lot of problems with what he is doing. Like diehard99 said "he reads it and chucks it, plain and simple".

I also watched his feet and his head. In my opinion he has what it takes to be a really good QB. It's a mistake if Fisher benches him against the Eagles.

In the Dallas game, he was having issues picking up zone defenders right behind the DL. I think his field vision is limited by his size to an extent which is why we see him do that sort of jump pass when he has to dump it over the OL/DL to a check-down. It's dangerous if teams start to drop defenders into that zone and fool him into thinking there's no one there like Dallas did twice. We'll see if he learns from that mistake and finds a way to fix the issue.

Additionally, his footwork can get sloppy and his pass outside the numbers lack zip which makes ball placement extremely important.(although he's been stellar at putting the ball where it needs to be on those throws)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Everybody else has been able to run on us. What makes you think we can stop Philly?

The thing about our run D is that we give up big plays. We'll stop or slow the rushing attack of the opposition on most plays, but then we'll turn around and give up a 40 yard gain. It's not like teams are consistently getting 5-6 yards a pop and moving downfield without bothering to throw the ball. Makes me wonder if its a scheme thing and we just have certain plays where our guys are badly out of position through design or lack of execution. Frustrating as hell though because we were pretty good at stopping the run for most of last season, save for the first few games.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everybody else has been able to run on us. What makes you think we can stop Philly?
Except for a couple of plays here and their , I'd disagree with you! We're getting better each week!

AZRamsFan93

Except for a couple of plays here and their , I'd disagree with you! We're getting better each week!
Well since we rank 30th against the run it pretty tough to get worse.

The whole argument that " we are good except for the big plays" doesn't fly with me. Big plays are what kills a defense. Our run D has been terrible. It has not been "close". Philly's running game is all about breaking the big run.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Ok, was I the only one pissed off by how obvious this is? I mean it's like as brilliant as stating "I think the sky has a real chance to be blue tomorrow." It makes it WAY worse that it was five days after his last game. That's pretty dang late...

Sorry, I'm just very unimpressed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In the Dallas game, he was having issues picking up zone defenders right behind the DL. I think his field vision is limited by his size to an extent which is why we see him do that sort of jump pass when he has to dump it over the OL/DL to a check-down. It's dangerous if teams start to drop defenders into that zone and fool him into thinking there's no one there like Dallas did twice. We'll see if he learns from that mistake and finds a way to fix the issue.

Additionally, his footwork can get sloppy and his pass outside the numbers lack zip which makes ball placement extremely important.(although he's been stellar at putting the ball where it needs to be on those throws)

I'm not astute enough to pick up enough on the first point and will concede it but I disagree with you on the footwork. Everyone who plays QB gets a little choppy and I think he looks like a vet when he drops back, sets and throws and when he rolls out and when he slides in the pocket.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

The whole argument that " we are good except for the big plays" doesn't fly with me. Big plays are what kills a defense. Our run D has been terrible. It has not been "close". Philly's running game is all about breaking the big run.

The passing game is the scary part here because there isn't enough pressure.......Foles worries me he is excellent and if he has time the Rams will need to score 34 plus to win. That O gets touchdowns if it has time to let plays unfold, the key is going to be pressuring Foles more than stopping the run, not that I don't want ti stop the run too! (for a change)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not astute enough to pick up enough on the first point and will concede it but I disagree with you on the footwork. Everyone who plays QB gets a little choppy and I think he looks like a vet when he drops back, sets and throws and when he rolls out and when he slides in the pocket.

I don't agree. His footwork isn't sound when he has to hold the ball. However, that's something that will likely improve with experience.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Well, I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree on this one.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think the whole point is that if we can eliminate those big plays, we'll be pretty good against the run. It's not as if teams are blowing our DL off the ball and grinding it out against us.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I really like how Cosell stated his feelings on the OC position. I'd have to say that is exactly how I feel about OC's, and also why I defend them. I don't defend every OC, but I agree that there is too much information that nobody, except the staff is privy to.

Davis, Davis, Davis, hmmm, I think the sample size isn't big enough, but I saw improvement from game one, to game two for him, even though the numbers might not support it. I have seen enough to know that I want to see more. He is scrappy, and pretty darn accurate. I think his arm strength is average at best, and arm strength isn't everything, but it helps in certain situations, and throws.

There are things that I really like, but he hasn't done anything where I think that he can be truly special. Do you need to be special to win? That is a different convo, and my opinion is that it depends on the way a team is built, and how well they can execute what they do. If we keep improving our talent, and Davis keeps improving, I think he can be part of a winning formula for us.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't agree with the arm strength knock on Davis. Two throws that I saw from him (they are perfectly shown in the BQ Mic'd vid) show me otherwise. the TD to Kendrix and the TD to Pettis. Not too many people can make those throws IMO. Those were absolutely perfect, and they both required a better than average arm...particularly the one to AP. The Quick TD was ok too, and I am sure most would have expected me to list that one, but look at the other 2. Good stuff...

AZRamsFan93

I think the whole point is that if we can eliminate those big plays, we'll be pretty good against the run. It's not as if teams are blowing our DL off the ball and grinding it out against us.
True, but that seems like saying "Take away the 3 long TD plays and Tavon had a very poor day" last year versus the Colts. Big plays are the difference making plays. I would prefer it if we held them to 4 and 5 yard runs. Eventually they will get a penalty and their drive will stall. Something major needs to change in this defense.

V3

Hall of Fame
Everyone keeps knocking him for a weak arm. I personally think that's one of the most overrated aspects of a QB, but ignoring that, why couldn't he get on a good workout regimen in the offseason to specifically target that aspect? It may never be a rocket but I think it could get better.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Guy's leading the NFL in completion % and is 5th in yards per attempt so I really don't see how arm strength is an issue. Not if results are what matter.

Aside from that, I haven't really noticed any lack of arm strength. His deep passes have been accurate and he's spread the ball all over the field without much incident. Really makes me wonder where this criticism is coming from. By contrast, I've seen Hill throw a few passes this year that just ran out of gas and came up short.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He has average arm strength IMO, and yeah V3 he could even get a little stronger.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guy's leading the NFL in completion % and is 5th in yards per attempt so I really don't see how arm strength is an issue. Not if results are what matter.

Aside from that, I haven't really noticed any lack of arm strength. His deep passes have been accurate and he's spread the ball all over the field without much incident. Really makes me wonder where this criticism is coming from. By contrast, I've seen Hill throw a few passes this year that just ran out of gas and came up short.

That's the problem, you're confusing one with the other. Results speak to an entire skill-set...not one isolated attribute. However, that one isolated attribute could prove to be part of the problem if Davis ends up being "figured out" by defenses. Will that happen? I don't know. Haven't seen enough yet.

Everyone keeps knocking him for a weak arm. I personally think that's one of the most overrated aspects of a QB, but ignoring that, why couldn't he get on a good workout regimen in the offseason to specifically target that aspect? It may never be a rocket but I think it could get better.

He can. The key for him will be working on his core muscles. That's what Tom Brady did/does. You really want to strengthen your abdomen. That core rotation makes a big difference when it comes to arm strength. Another key will be precision with his feet and driving hard off that back foot on longer throws that need zip.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's the problem, you're confusing one with the other. Results speak to an entire skill-set...not one isolated attribute. However, that one isolated attribute could prove to be part of the problem if Davis ends up being "figured out" by defenses. Will that happen? I don't know. Haven't seen enough yet.

He can. The key for him will be working on his core muscles. That's what Tom Brady did/does. You really want to strengthen your abdomen. That core rotation makes a big difference when it comes to arm strength. Another key will be precision with his feet and driving hard off that back foot on longer throws that need zip.

Core and shoulder muscles will help a lot and he can work on those, though he won't add a ton he can get a little more on it.

reggae

Greg Cosell on Austin Davis: “I like what I see. I think if you took the name off the back and didn’t know about him, you’d say the kid has a chance to be a quality NFL quarterback,” Cosell said during his weekly segment on The Press Box Friday. “He understands where to go with the ball, he understands why a play is called and his decisive on his throws.” Cosell discussed several more Rams and NFL-related topics during his weekly segment.

Listen to Greg Cosell Talk Rams
Mabe in a couple years. But, he puts too much air under his long ball. I can forgive throwing into double coverage. Every QB does that from time to te.

AZRamsFan93

Mabe in a couple years. But, he puts too much air under his long ball. I can forgive throwing into double coverage. Every QB does that from time to te.
This is what I mean when I say his passes float. The longer they are in the air the more time the defense has to react.

Conversely he is accurate and throws a catchable ball. I think he is going to be good but will have a higher interception percentage than Bradford. Higher upside with Davis IMHO.