Cosell: Davis Could be a Quality NFL Starting QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Cosell on Austin Davis: “I like what I see. I think if you took the name off the back and didn’t know about him, you’d say the kid has a chance to be a quality NFL quarterback,” Cosell said during his weekly segment on The Press Box Friday. “He understands where to go with the ball, he understands why a play is called and his decisive on his throws.” Cosell discussed several more Rams and NFL-related topics during his weekly segment.

Listen to Greg Cosell Talk Rams

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's also a guy that seems to play better in games than in practice. From all the preseason and training camp reports, the guy wasn't very good. But maybe he just plays better when the lights come on and it's for real.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
He talked about him on the Ross tucker podcast also, good to see Davies getting some props

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's also a guy that seems to play better in games than in practice. From all the preseason and training camp reports, the guy wasn't very good. But maybe he just plays better when the lights come on and it's for real.

He hasn't played with the starters before, that might be the difference. Maybe the third stringers and scrubs were holding him back. Just a theory I guess.

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
Scouts claim he had weak arm coming out of college, so no one claimed him in the draft, bad scouting report, I wonder how many players have had a good scouting report coming out of college that didnt do much in the pros? Our coaching staff doesnt seem too high on him either, although enough to play him out of necessity. I wonder what Tom Bradys scouting report was coming out of college? Hes been worth the first pick overall production wise, and yet all those teams passed on him until new england got him in the sixth round. Warner was passed over several times before, well, you know that ending. I think Davis has it where most miss it, in his head. Quick descisions followed by quick enough release and accuracy. Some are claiming he wont keep these stats up kind of like Yates for houston a few years ago, but im not convinced their right. Scouting reports dont tell the whole story or good ones would produce every time in the pros. Hes developing on the field and I for one have confidence in this one bad scouting report producing at a high level consistantly for more than 10 quarters of football. Let him play Fish, this kids got IT. WIN!!!!

Big Game

Living The Dream
Scouts claim he had weak arm coming out of college, so no one claimed him in the draft, bad scouting report, I wonder how many players have had a good scouting report coming out of college that didnt do much in the pros? Our coaching staff doesnt seem too high on him either, although enough to play him out of necessity. I wonder what Tom Bradys scouting report was coming out of college? Hes been worth the first pick overall production wise, and yet all those teams passed on him until new england got him in the sixth round. Warner was passed over several times before, well, you know that ending. I think Davis has it where most miss it, in his head. Quick descisions followed by quick enough release and accuracy. Some are claiming he wont keep these stats up kind of like Yates for houston a few years ago, but im not convinced their right. Scouting reports dont tell the whole story or good ones would produce every time in the pros. Hes developing on the field and I for one have confidence in this one bad scouting report producing at a high level consistantly for more than 10 quarters of football. Let him play Fish, this kids got IT. WIN!!!!

Exactly i don't see how the scouts said the kid had a weak arm when in college he didn't do anything but break all of Brett Farve's records smh.

Fish let the kid play finish the season we know what we have in Hill a quality backup. Let's see if Davis could be our starter next year.

I think if you put him in a good position you can win with him easily.

In 2 and a bit seasons starting Wilson has never had to score more than 25 points to win a game, let alone 35, we asked a guy in his second start to do that.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Austin Davis has been phenomenal so far. If he keeps it up (not likely because Fisher is apparently making a terrible choice by putting Hill in), he can be a very good starter in the NFL. We need to see him go against some top quality defenses, but his throws and decision making have been spot on thus far. I think he has a legitimate chance of being the future starting QB of the Rams for years to come.

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
Exactly i don't see how the scouts said the kid had a weak arm when in college he didn't do anything but break all of Brett Farve's records smh.

Fish let the kid play finish the season we know what we have in Hill a quality backup. Let's see if Davis could be our starter next year.
Hill might work with a defense as good as seattles, but Davis can score points on his own. Warner threw pick sixes at times,at really bad times, remember, didnt seem to bother anyone, why was that, because he could score at will most of the time. This kid is no game manager, hes got will to make things happen. How many times do you remember Bradford starting out slowly with no points in the first quarter? I know, theres other reasons but, Davis gets it and will produce early and often. He doesnt hesitate like Bradford, he reads it and chucks it, plain and simple. Tell me how many games Bradford threw 4 tds in a single game over his carreer? Bradford had the much better scouting report though, some just cant seem to adjust to the pro game. If you want managment, play Hill. If you want high stakes with exciting production, play Davis. Plain and simple Fish! Cut Davis loose, hell respond. He can hand the ball off to the tailback just as well as Bradford or Hill can. Take that to the bank and deposite it!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I liked what he said about Philly not being a very good rushing team, If they can't run on us, they're passing game should be a 'Set-up' for our pass rush. And maybe our D can get 'Well' on them!:D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not ready to go there yet as there are still issues I see with Davis that defenses might use to adjust and give him issues...but he's getting closer and closer to that for me. He's really proving me wrong and I couldn't be more proud.

ausmurp

Starter
For the first time in YEARS the Rams offense was fun to watch. Okay not years but since we destroyed the Colts last yr. And before that for YEARS. We have to continue to play Austin Davis.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I liked what he said about Philly not being a very good rushing team, If they can't run on us, they're passing game should be a 'Set-up' for our pass rush. And maybe our D can get 'Well' on them!:D

Providing their OL isn't allowed to hold with impunity as our first three opponents have been.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I am not ready to go there yet as there are still issues I see with Davis that defenses might use to adjust and give him issues...but he's getting closer and closer to that for me. He's really proving me wrong and I couldn't be more proud.

What issues do you see? I'm asking because other than the fact he has an average arm I don't find a lot of problems with what he is doing. Like diehard99 said "he reads it and chucks it, plain and simple".

I also watched his feet and his head. In my opinion he has what it takes to be a really good QB. It's a mistake if Fisher benches him against the Eagles.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Providing their OL isn't allowed to hold with impunity as our first three opponents have been.
This is the game 'WE' will find out what, if anything, can or well be done by the League, the Ref's, our FO, Coach's, or our Players to Change this pattern!! I'm sure they've heard about it, but well they turn a deaf ear to it!

AZRamsFan93

Everybody else has been able to run on us. What makes you think we can stop Philly?

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
Even Warner had issues with certain defenses, Giants, bucs, patriots,titans, we need points.

AZRamsFan93

What issues do you see? I'm asking because other than the fact he has an average arm I don't find a lot of problems with what he is doing. Like diehard99 said "he reads it and chucks it, plain and simple".

I also watched his feet and his head. In my opinion he has what it takes to be a really good QB. It's a mistake if Fisher benches him against the Eagles.
I like everything about Davis but his arm strength. He can overcome that with brains and accuracy.