Cosell: Davis Could be a Quality NFL Starting QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I am not seeing any problem with his arm strength so far. I think that is being overblown because there really isn't much else to harp on. The kid has exceeded expectations. He was a 3rd stringer a month ago and camp reports made it out like he was hopeless. Since then he's put everyone on notice that he can play the position.

Athos

Legend
Average arm strength is a subject beaten to death for no reason.

Doesn't matter if you're a cerebral QB with anticipation, timing, and quick decision making. No, he won't be tossing frozen ropes like Bradford, but he's proved to have plenty of arm to be successful. Cut down on the INTs (experience should help) and he'll be fine if Fisher is serious about a power run scheme.

Which is why I'm adamant about giving him the full reigns. See what you got in the kid. See if you need to draft a QB in the 1st next year or not.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
he could be decent but some ppl are going way to homer after 2 games against bad teams. he hasn't seen real consistent pressure or other extreme in game stresses. let me see a few divisional games then I'll make a judgement

reggae

This is what I mean when I say his passes float. The longer they are in the air the more time the defense has to react.

Conversely he is accurate and throws a catchable ball. I think he is going to be good but will have a higher interception percentage than Bradford. Higher upside with Davis IMHO.
I missed your quote on that. But we are in 100% agreement.

radjohns

UDFA
I'm not concerned about his arm strength, but I am keeping an eye on his decision making when the heat is on. I get the angst of fans about Fisher saying that he's sticking with Hill, but once Davis starts facing some quality Ds as the Rams get into the teeth of their schedule I wonder if Austin's confidence (and ribs) will get crushed. I'm no Hill apologist, but I'm fine with him starting if he's healthy. I'd have him on a short rope though. I've already written off this season, so I'm all for giving Davis some experience.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
he could be decent but some ppl are going way to homer after 2 games against bad teams. he hasn't seen real consistent pressure or other extreme in game stresses. let me see a few divisional games then I'll make a judgement
And don't forget that the great defenses have the better co-ordinators and the film on Davis will be "out there" if he has tells and tendencies , they'll pick up on them, so yeah our division will tell me what we have in the kid,IF he plays .

209RamsFan

So if he performs well vs
Philly will some of you stop your whining?? Geez give the kid a chance...hes the Freaking 3rd stringer, playing at a level that NONE of us ( including me) thought he could... Give him a chance to get reps vs our starting defense, he WiLL improve, He WiLL be ready vs
Philly.....its the REST of the team that needs to get their heads outta their butts (mainly the defense). You guys do realize that AD does NOT play defense? Right?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The big question here is, if he's on a one year deal, and he keeps playing well, can we afford to keep him? I mean, we would have to cut Bradford and offer him starters money if that's the case. I'm not sure how that will pan out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The big question here is, if he's on a one year deal, and he keeps playing well, can we afford to keep him? I mean, we would have to cut Bradford and offer him starters money if that's the case. I'm not sure how that will pan out.

Restricted Free Agent at worst.

So we don't have to give him a long term deal quite yet even if he has a strong year if we're not quite sold yet long term.

Now that I think about it, I think he's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent since he only has one accrued season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he plays well enough to lead this team out of the cellar and into some sort of contention, i.e. continues to play well even against better defenses, you sign him and trade Bradford or cut him outright. He replaces Bradford in that event, because he can stay healthy. Then they still draft a QB just not necessarily high.

If he can't get it done against better defenses you keep Bradford in his last season as insurance and draft a QB high even if it means trading up for the guy you covet.

So IMO the Rams will draft a QB regardless. Just comes down to whether they have to make it a #1 priority in the draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If he plays well enough to lead this team out of the cellar and into some sort of contention, i.e. continues to play well even against better defenses, you sign him and trade Bradford or cut him outright. He replaces Bradford in that event, because he can stay healthy. Then they still draft a QB just not necessarily high.

If he can't get it done against better defenses you keep Bradford in his last season as insurance and draft a QB high even if it means trading up for the guy you covet.

So IMO the Rams will draft a QB regardless. Just comes down to whether they have to make it a #1 priority in the draft.

^this!!!! My exact thoughts!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Scouts claim he had weak arm coming out of college, so no one claimed him in the draft, bad scouting report, I wonder how many players have had a good scouting report coming out of college that didnt do much in the pros? Our coaching staff doesnt seem too high on him either, although enough to play him out of necessity. I wonder what Tom Bradys scouting report was coming out of college? Hes been worth the first pick overall production wise, and yet all those teams passed on him until new england got him in the sixth round. Warner was passed over several times before, well, you know that ending. I think Davis has it where most miss it, in his head. Quick descisions followed by quick enough release and accuracy. Some are claiming he wont keep these stats up kind of like Yates for houston a few years ago, but im not convinced their right. Scouting reports dont tell the whole story or good ones would produce every time in the pros. Hes developing on the field and I for one have confidence in this one bad scouting report producing at a high level consistantly for more than 10 quarters of football. Let him play Fish, this kids got IT. WIN!!!!

I remember him getting sacked like three times in a row with Hooey... and Fisher made no changes to the OL.

I'm starting to thing Fisher blames Davis for the sand in his craw. Really, there's something going on, here. Fisher loved Sam, he doesn't love Davis for whatever reason. Fisher doesn't see him as the answer.

We were just talking about arm strength. All I got to say is making the reads, timing and touch far outweigh arm strength. Look at Kap, look at Mallette, they have cannons. Those guys aren't knocking anybody's socks off with their arms. Kap would be below average without his legs.

And heck, if Davis can throw 51 yard dimes then what more does anyone want? Bradford couldn't have thrown that ball better.

Now back to Fisher have sand in his craw named Austin Davis. On the movie "Nightmate Before Christmas," theres a song called "Something 's up with Jack."

Well, I'm thinking "something's up with Jeff, something's up with Jeff."

After Davis lit it up...

"He's all alone up there locked away inside."

"He hasn't said a word, hope he doesn't die."

"Something's up with Jeff, Something's up with Jeff"

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Cosell doesn't care who the player is, he just looks at the tape. While a lot of "experts" were saying how great JFF would be, Cosell just didn't see it. Why? Because it wasn't there! I'm more pumped about Davis with this kind of opinion.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2206448-nfl-quarterback-power-rankings-post-week-3

Bleacher Report: NFL QB Power Rankings after Week 3
By Ryan Riddle, Featured Columnist

These rankings factor in several major attributes for the quarterback position.

Personal observation and opinion play a key role. A general section for film-review grades form a foundation, but the output of these QBs' most recent performances is what really sends them flying up and down the rankings each week.

Wins also give quarterbacks a slight boost in addition to their individual performances. The statistics used to help determine the ranking system are pulled from ESPN.com, NFL.com and Pro Football Focus (subscription required) unless stated otherwise.

Stats that are factored in include passer rating, completion percentage, yards per pass, rushing yards per game, touchdown-to-interception ratio, fumbles lost and wins.

As the season moves on, the weighted influence from last year's output will be reduced by 25 percent each week. After Week 4, the preseason will not factor into the rankings at all.

Note: Total QBR is a scoring system that assesses everything a quarterback does on the field. It can be explained further via ESPN.

Also, Pro Football Focus grades every single play of the season to generate a cumulative point total, which weighs into the metric as well.

25. Austin Davis, St. Louis Rams

hi-res-08a6e28f070dada503904697777c2124_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

Week 3 Performance

Opponent...Outcome...Comp..Att.....PCT..Yards..TD..INT
DAL.................L 31-34......30.......42.....71.4....327......3....2

The 1-1 Rams looked good hosting the Cowboys last Sunday—with all the talk about the Cowboys lackluster defense, that unit was actually ranked 12th in the NFL after two games. They are currently 21st after facing Austin Davis and Co.

Davis had a career game against this unit, but he failed to come away with the victory against a potent Dallas offense.

Season Average

Surprisingly, though, Davis showed significant improvement from week to week, which is why he has gone from 32nd overall to 25th.

Among all qualified QBs per ESPN.com, Austin Davis’ 72.3 completion percentage is tops in the NFL. Furthermore, he is one of just two QBs in the top 10 in completion rate who also average more than eight yards per pass attempt—the other QB is Matt Ryan.

iced

He hasn't played with the starters before, that might be the difference. Maybe the third stringers and scrubs were holding him back. Just a theory I guess.

damn - and all i can keep hearing is how quarterbacks are supposed to elevate the talent around them :D

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
The rams owe it to themselves to play Austin for the year as we need to know what we got. With a little luck. We may have our future qb.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Keeping Bradford is entirely dependent on his health and willingness to take a major pay cut. No way the Rams can pay him over $16M next year.
Agree with that as well.