Cory Harkey hopeful of finding fit in Rams' offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm keeping Everett and Harkey and letting Hemmingway and HIgbee fight for the last spot. I need a blocker.

fearsomefour

Legend
i think they will do it ..individually they are all better than Harkey IMO
They are more athletic, which means potentially better.
Depends what the TE job is. If they are just pass catchers, the advantage of the TE is partly deluded. Running double TE sets to create a match up problem in the passing game makes sense IF they can block. The threat of the run has to be there. If a team goes dime because they see 2 WR, 2TE but really they are defending it like 4 WRs you have to be able to run it down their throat. If they stay in a base D 4/3 lets say, because there are two TEs there should be mismatches.
I'm sure the coaches can coach them up to the point of at least be solid run blockers, if not, you might as well run 4 WRs, in therory.

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe it wasn't that important until Mcvay saw our starting TE's get slit like the red sea by Mack en Route to sacking our starting QB.
I am more concerned with run blocking.
I would think in most cases on passing downs Higbee and certainly Everett will be going out, maybe a chip, but most times will be receivers.
But, they need to be able to run out of a two TE set to fully exploit the mismatches guys like Everett and Higbee can create.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's why Rams need Harkey.

TE's Everett and Higbee lined up on the right side, Mack takes both on and makes them look silly, splits them and gets to Goff and sacks him, laying him out on his back. Rams are lucky Goff could get up and make it back to the huddle.

That play alone shows how unready those two TE's are to depend upon. If Harkey had been out there, Mack would not have gotten to Goff like he did.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

TE's Everett and Higbee lined up on the right side, Mack takes both on and makes them look silly, splits them and gets to Goff and sacks him, laying him out on his back. Rams are lucky Goff could get up and make it back to the huddle.

That play alone shows how unready those two TE's are to depend upon. If Harkey had been out there, Mack would not have gotten to Goff like he did.
A play that McVay said was a bad call by him. He said that "No TE is going to block Mack even if you give him help". Harkey wouldn't block Mack 1 on 1 that's just not happening. How hard would we laugh if another coach tried to block AD with 2 TE? It would be one of our biggest highlights of the game. Again I go back to one simple thing. Harkey has taken less snaps than the rest of the TE on the roster, even Wilson, and he's doing it with the 3rd team. He's so important that Harkey hasn't even taken a snap with Goff or the 1st team. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that or that McVay isn't using him.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I respect your opinion OS, but I feel much better with Rams having a proven lead blocker for Gurley, a TE with vet experience that won't get schooled like a rookie will, and a proven blocker on the OL.

Higbee, Everett and Hemmingway are none of those (yet) and the Rams need at least one.,

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hope you're able to watch 'em occasionally
Naw....but I think I got an idea this weekend

Streamsmart-Pro-effective-picture.png

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect your opinion OS, but I feel much better with Rams having a proven lead blocker for Gurley, a TE with vet experience that won't get schooled like a rookie will, and a proven blocker on the OL.

Higbee, Everett and Hemmingway are none of those (yet) and the Rams need at least one.,
All I'm trying to say it what have we seen from McVay that makes you or antibody else think he feels the same? It's great to want a blocker on the roster like Harvey but has the head coach given the impression he values it?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree OS, we haven't seen what McVay thinks. How many snaps they all get may not be much of an indicator just because one gets more snaps than another. I'm just saying out of 4 TE's, one of them has to be a reliable blocker, and the only one that is, is Harkey. Weather that fits into what McVay wants out of the TE's he keeps is yet to be seen. We don't know how many he plans to keep. 3? 4? 5?

Just going to have to wait til they cut down to 53.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mack would make any two TE's blocking him look silly ...sheesh he makes tackles look silly

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I like Harkey, he is a body already combat proven, he can block if needed. I too believe Hemingway and Higbee should duke out for the final spot, but I still wouldn't count out Wilson...I just feel like he is being overlooked because he is a nobody to most.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Harkey, he is a body already combat proven, he can block if needed. I too believe Hemingway and Higbee should duke out for the final spot, but I still wouldn't count out Wilson...I just feel like he is being overlooked because he is a nobody to most.
Personally I think Wilson has a better shot than Harkey of making the team.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Personally I think Wilson has a better shot than Harkey of making the team.

I think everytime Wilson was out on the field, there were mismatches and that left Mike Thomas open a lot especially on those last drives before Thomas got ringed. That fumble recovery to by Wilson was impressive.

Ram65

Legend
Everett
Higbee
Hemingway

These three are no doubters to make the team. Wilson get on PS hopefully along with Rogers. I'm on the Harkey bandwagon.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's my question: do you keep four tight ends or seven wide receivers? If it's four tight ends, Harkey stays. If not, it's likely that Sam Rogers will take his place. I feel that Everett, Higbee, and Hemingway are safe. I also feel that Rogers is safe, due to playing primarily fullback and getting a job with a four-man running back group.

As for me? I like the seven wide receivers. I love what Harkey brings to this team, but it's a numbers game. We're going to lose good players no matter what we do.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Here's my question: do you keep four tight ends or seven wide receivers? If it's four tight ends, Harkey stays. If not, it's likely that Sam Rogers will take his place. I feel that Everett, Higbee, and Hemingway are safe. I also feel that Rogers is safe, due to playing primarily fullback and getting a job with a four-man running back group.

As for me? I like the seven wide receivers. I love what Harkey brings to this team, but it's a numbers game. We're going to lose good players no matter what we do.

I disagree, their presence is willy nilly. But hey everyone was on the Spruce train what happened?