Cory Harkey hopeful of finding fit in Rams' offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
All these "we have to keep Harvey for his blocking" responses crack me up. If it was that important to McVays offense then Harvey would be getting 1st team reps over the other TE. If he gets those reps in the next two games then he might have a spot, until then he's just as likely cut as anybody else.

I think it's more situational blocking that McVay is looking for. McVay likes to run two TE sets more for setting up passes. One can stay in to block while one goes out. He may use Harkey inline at times if they TEs can't get the job done. He really needs the blocking on 3rd and short. As reported Harkey was the best blitz pickup guy on 3rd downs. Harkey can help get Gurley going to early in the game. Just some thoughts.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I thought it was interesting that in the Raiders game it was Everett who lined up in the I formation as a fullback for the play where he caught the ball and put the move on...

fearsomefour

Legend
I doubt it. Hemingway is a natural red zone threat, would be very surprised if he doesn't make the final cut. He can play TE & WR.
Can't see Harkey & Rogers on the same final roster as they are both cast primarily as FB's. jmo.
Could be right, although to me Harkey is a TE first.
Hemingway has done nothing for me. He seems redundant.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know....I should always state when talks concern the TE's and depth, to me, I like Hemingway the best for all-around play...I think he has the most potential to be the best player, with pass/run blocking, and getting in the seam than the others....mainly Higbee & Everett. In fact, I expect Hemingway to be the starter....definitely over Higbee....Everett is improving rather quickly in my eyes.
Then this means Hemingway is gone right ? ;)

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If Harkey is cut he will be picked up by Green Bay or New England.....where all ex Ram TEs go....just as it seems all ex Ram QBs end up in Minnesota at some time.

GB would probably snatch him up to help protect AR

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going out in a limb and say

Higbee
Everette
Sammy
Hemingway

Are all better recievers and athletes and more versatile than harkey ... the one thing harkey has going for him is his blocking

I'd say mcvay will take the better athletes and pass catchers and back Kromer and co to teach em up on the blocking part of the game and Corey will be hitting the streets

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm going out in a limb and say

Higbee
Everette
Sammy
Hemingway

Are all better recievers and athletes and more versatile than harkey ... the one thing harkey has going for him is his blocking

I'd say mcvay will take the better athletes and pass catchers and back Kromer and co to teach em up on the blocking part of the game and Corey will be hitting the streets
Britt and Quick agree with this approach to player development.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If its down to Harkey or Rogers, I think Harkey sticks. Better, more versatile blocker and plays on ST. And who cares if Ds know he is in to block, is he run blocking or pass blocking?

WestCoastRam

Legend
There's nothing inherently wrong with cutting Rogers and hoping he makes the practice squad, just not sure there aren't many better than him RIGHT NOW for the 53. A year in the weight room and I think he'll make a great jack of all trades but prob not this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I know....I should always state when talks concern the TE's and depth, to me, I like Hemingway the best for all-around play...I think he has the most potential to be the best player, with pass/run blocking, and getting in the seam than the others....mainly Higbee & Everett. In fact, I expect Hemingway to be the starter....definitely over Higbee....Everett is improving rather quickly in my eyes.

I think Higbee will surprise you , along with the TE group. McVay always talks about coach Waldon doing such a good job with that group. Kromer does a good job as well. Even wonder about Travis Wilson maybe going on the practice squad. There blocking will improve. They are still being taught . A real good young core.
You should have a little more patience though . Harkey & Rogers are wild cards. They both really work hard. Harkey might get cut just to clear a little cap space, it depends on how much McVay values his body of work. I think they both a a Swiss Knife type with Harkey being a little more polished at this point.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's nothing inherently wrong with cutting Rogers and hoping he makes the practice squad, just not sure there aren't many better than him RIGHT NOW for the 53. A year in the weight room and I think he'll make a great jack of all trades but prob not this year.

Tough to say. The Rams now have an OC from Atlanta and an Offensive Line Coach from Buffalo in Lafleur & Kromer, both of whom utilized blocking FB's for RB's who gained over 1000 yards last season. Harkey is built much more like an in-line TE than your traditional FB, although he has done both, except Fisher apparently thought he wasn't on the roster last season from his lack of use. Rogers is built like a fire hydrant, i'm not sure whether the weight room is his first need as a FB right now, perhaps he's undersized at 5'10", but this should allow him to get under pads when blocking and harder to latch onto when receiving. His strength was a bit of a known quality when picked in the draft, not that anyone can't benefit with more training, he already looks like a solid rock. He's only 10lbs. lighter than Buffalo's Jerome Felton who is 2" taller and helped lead LeSean McCoy to a pretty outstanding season. Harkey did well leading Gurley in his rookie season, that's why it's so hard to believe that Fisher would basically abandon him last year. While an in-line blocker is important, i'm more inclined to believe the Rams will make due with what they have in Everett, Higbee & Hemmingway, trying to train them up. Can't be any worse than when Kendricks was on-board, I don't recall him being much of a blocker. I'm guessing it really comes down to who is the better blocking FB, Harkey or Rogers, and what their future potential holds. jmo.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Totally agree - he looks bigger this year as well. Very smooth.
Was (am) a big Higbee fan, but he just hasn't looked (to me), like he did in college.
I gave him a pass last year, cuz I don't think he was completely healthy, and he missed most of training camp.
And he's not much of a blocker.

(BTW-congrats on your Dodgers - you should bring your original avatar back. Hope you're able to watch 'em occasionally).

TexasRam

Legend
All these "we have to keep Harvey for his blocking" responses crack me up. If it was that important to McVays offense then Harvey would be getting 1st team reps over the other TE. If he gets those reps in the next two games then he might have a spot, until then he's just as likely cut as anybody else.

Maybe it wasn't that important until Mcvay saw our starting TE's get slit like the red sea by Mack en Route to sacking our starting QB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it wasn't that important until Mcvay saw our starting TE's get slit like the red sea by Mack en Route to sacking our starting QB.
And maybe it isn't important at all. The one thing McVay has stressed is getting starters out on the field playing together and developing chemistry. He always talks about them learning to play together and Harkey seems to play with the 2nd and 3rd team while Everett and Higbee play with the 1st team.