Cory Harkey hopeful of finding fit in Rams' offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Cory Harkey has aggressively been working on his receiving skills in camp. Javier Rojas/Zuma Press/Icon Sportswire
Aug 22, 2017
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Practice ended at around 3:30 p.m. PT on Monday, and Cory Harkey walked straight towards the JUGS machine.

Harkey spent five years being used mainly as an additional blocker by Jeff Fisher. But now he is operating under new Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay, who requires versatility out of his tight ends and fullbacks. To solidify a role in this offense -- and, perhaps, to secure a spot on the final 53-man roster -- Harkey must prove he can be as effective at catching passes as he is at setting up blocks.

"I'm here to do whatever I need to do to help the team win, and that's my attitude my whole career," Harkey said. "Whatever's asked of me, I'm going to do it, and I'm going to do it to the best of my ability. I'm going to find a way to be great at it."

Harkey has been a key locker-room presence and a steady special-teams contributor over the last few years. But he caught only 27 passes for 215 yards from 2012-16, and none of those receptions came last season, a year that saw Harkey miss the last four weeks because of a triceps injury.

The Rams have drafted three tight ends over the last two years, a list that includes Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett and Temarrick Hemingway. They even selected a fullback, the versatile Sam Rogers, in the sixth round this past April.

They're all threats in the passing game, which is not necessarily Harkey's strength.

Harkey has nonetheless been impressed by McVay's offensive knowledge and believes he can help him get better. The 27-year-old Harkey has worked out with both the fullbacks and the tight ends during training camp and has been used inline more frequently than ever, which he likes. He is signed through 2018, with the Rams able to save $800,000 towards Harkey's $1.8 million cap hit if they ultimately choose to part ways.

Harkey is hopeful that a concrete role will ultimately materialize.

"That's something that’s just going to happen naturally," said Harkey, who has made two catches for 18 yards in the preseason, while playing mostly during the second half. "I’m just trying to get better every single day, trying to do the best I can."

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
They need to keep Harkey around for his blocking ability. Hes not a big receiving threat but it's not like he has hands of stone either. I kinda get the feeling hes sweating pretty hard if hes going to keep his job or not. Honestly I'm not overly impressed with Higbee so far.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They need to keep Harkey around for his blocking ability. Hes not a big receiving threat but it's not like he has hands of stone either. I kinda get the feeling hes sweating pretty hard if hes going to keep his job or not. Honestly I'm not overly impressed with Higbee so far.
I like Harkey, but I think he is in danger of loosing out to FB Sam Rogers! Simply because Rogers can catch and block!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to see both Rogers & Harkey get at least a full 1/4 of starting time with the #1's against the Chargers. During the 2015 season Gurley ran more efficiently with a FB (Harkey) blocking for him, so lets see our two candidates perform against the same defense while blocking and receiving. jmo.

fearsomefour

Legend
Higbee or Hemingway.
Higbee is a better receiver than Harkey already based on athleticism and route running. But he can't block. An incomplete TE.

fearsomefour

Legend
If Harkey is cut he will be picked up by Green Bay or New England.....where all ex Ram TEs go....just as it seems all ex Ram QBs end up in Minnesota at some time.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
TE:
Everett
Higbee
Harkey
RB:
Gurley
Davis
Brown
Rodgers
Dunbar (I guess)

I doubt it. Hemingway is a natural red zone threat, would be very surprised if he doesn't make the final cut. He can play TE & WR.
Can't see Harkey & Rogers on the same final roster as they are both cast primarily as FB's. jmo.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
from what I've seen in TC, Harkey is the only TE that can be trusted to do his blocking job. All the others, and that includes Rogers, are far from reliable.

Late is a game, Rams down by a TD and have to pass with a leaky or tired OL, Harkey is the only guy McVay can count on to strengthen the OL and pick up the blitz.

Just sayin, right now all the others suck at pass blocking and recognizing who to pick up in a blitz. Harkey is a valuable seasoned vet and mentor in that phase of the game and I think he's safe.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I doubt it. Hemingway is a natural red zone threat, would be very surprised if he doesn't make the final cut. He can play TE & WR.
Can't see Harkey & Rogers on the same final roster as they are both cast primarily as FB's. jmo.
Harkey is a plus blocker as a TE. I honestly don't think he's a great blocker as a FB, but certainly better than Kendricks, Cook, Higbee, or anyone else the Rams have had. I haven't yet seen Rogers used as a TE.

Maybe McVay can figure out more efficient uses for Harkey in the passing game, but under the previous regime his routes seemed to be limited to A) 0-1 yard flares that were immediately tackled B) Passes to the sideline on 3rd down approximately 2 yards short of the sticks.

If there was anyone on the roster with decent in-line blocking skills I think Harkey would be gone. If I've missed it, and Rogers has shown he can fill that role, I think he'll take that last roster spot.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Harkey is a plus blocker as a TE. I honestly don't think he's a great blocker as a FB, but certainly better than Kendricks, Cook, Higbee, or anyone else the Rams have had. I haven't yet seen Rogers used as a TE.

Maybe McVay can figure out more efficient uses for Harkey in the passing game, but under the previous regime his routes seemed to be limited to A) 0-1 yard flares that were immediately tackled B) Passes to the sideline on 3rd down approximately 2 yards short of the sticks.

If there was anyone on the roster with decent in-line blocking skills I think Harkey would be gone. If I've missed it, and Rogers has shown he can fill that role, I think he'll take that last roster spot.

Rogers won't be that guy, but there have been some reports that have Everett significantly improving as an in-line blocker. If Rogers makes the team, it will be strictly as a FB, while Harkey is more of a dual threat, but he'll need to beat Rogers to maintain his roster spot imo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pulling for Harkey:yay:....they sure drafted/signed a bunch of dudes to replace him tho:thinking::shocking:....:(:oops:o_O

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Corey Harkey = *automatic cut. *Jeff Fisher stench.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Pulling for Harkey:yay:....they sure drafted/signed a bunch of dudes to replace him tho:thinking::shocking:....:(:oops:o_O

I think the goal was to add as much receiving talent as possible and a pass catching TE was available. Harkey can do the only thing the other guys can't do block. I hope he finds a way to make it on the roster.

Ram65

Legend
from what I've seen in TC, Harkey is the only TE that can be trusted to do his blocking job. All the others, and that includes Rogers, are far from reliable.

Late is a game, Rams down by a TD and have to pass with a leaky or tired OL, Harkey is the only guy McVay can count on to strengthen the OL and pick up the blitz.

Just sayin, right now all the others suck at pass blocking and recognizing who to pick up in a blitz. Harkey is a valuable seasoned vet and mentor in that phase of the game and I think he's safe.

Reliable is good. It's hard for me to really see what's happened in preseason with Harkey and Rogers. I think Harkey has gotten more playing time. I'll go with your eyes watching during training camp. The Rams have so many weapons that the FB position needs to be able to block first and foremost in many different sets. Rams can get Rogers on the PS if they like his potential.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Hemmingway is better than he is getting credit for around here.

MCVAY loves Hemmingway!!! He says it All the Time !!

My thoughts are Corey makes it over Rogers because of special teams. Just watch during games.

Corey is making an impression. He always stays after to work on his skills.
I saw him & Rogers both working on routes after practice. The old Dinosaur has a good chance to make the 53 ?
Everett is a good blocker at this point of his career. He needs to improve, but for size & years. He is doing well.

Higbee needs work , but has the size & skill. The Kromer will get him right !! Trust it.

There will be some tough cuts. This has been one of them.
Mike Thomas going on suspension is not a bad thing as things may turn out .

--Crazy going to see squads to from like

90 to 53 ??? WTF ?? It will be like a crazy fire drill. Teams scrolling the wire .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There will be 1,147 players that will be cut from 31 teams (Rams won't consider the 37 they cut) come cut-down day.

Its going to be a downright crazy free for all for teams trying to upgrade their rosters.

Ram65

Legend
At tight end and fullback, the Cory Harkey Experiment is going to be an interesting one to watch over the final two preseason games. One factor making it so? Rookie Sam Rogers doesn’t seem to have any real role on the offense. He’s been heavily involved on special teams (see below), but has gotten less work on offense than RB De’Mard Llorens and WR Brandon Shippen...

http://ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-players-snap-count-from-week-2.50658

Last game Harkey had 19 plays to Rogers 6.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All these "we have to keep Harvey for his blocking" responses crack me up. If it was that important to McVays offense then Harvey would be getting 1st team reps over the other TE. If he gets those reps in the next two games then he might have a spot, until then he's just as likely cut as anybody else.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hemmingway is better than he is getting credit for around here.

MCVAY loves Hemmingway!!! He says it All the Time !!
I know....I should always state when talks concern the TE's and depth, to me, I like Hemingway the best for all-around play...I think he has the most potential to be the best player, with pass/run blocking, and getting in the seam than the others....mainly Higbee & Everett. In fact, I expect Hemingway to be the starter....definitely over Higbee....Everett is improving rather quickly in my eyes.