colin cowherd:Has Jared Goff improved enough to lead the Rams or are the Colts just awful?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jeff Fisher: A Legacy Of Abject Failure: Was Fisher Really This Clueless?

According to Keyshawn Johnson, Fisher was "forced" to take Jared Goff with the top pick.Johnson said sources told him that Fisher was against selecting Goff: "From my outside people and the inside people that I know with the Rams, that wasn't the choice that Jeff Fisher really wanted".

I didn't believe that story when it first came out, as I believe Fish was so comfortable in his position that he felt he was ironclad. And I still think Meshawn is a liar, as nobody would function as a source for that dude with his mouth and all.

BUT...

It does make sense. Fish would have known that no rookie QB is going to help him win. So I am sure that he at least had to be "talked into" the move up to get a QB. Might have even been resistant to or against it. Someday that story will come out I'm sure, if it's there.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff has definitely improve, having McVay make the offense easy for him as helped as well. It's allowing him to just play like he did in college having Sullivan is probably the biggest impact player on the offensive line because Goff don't have to worry about protection calls and all of that. I think with more confidence and another year under his belt he will get those responsibilities.

Goff made the right plays high percentage throws and the WR helped him out on a couple throws(unlike last year).

I think now people wanna see how Goff and McVay handle a real defense myself included. I will tell you this though I will take 1 touchdown against no turnovers for Goff every week.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly......it's only week 1 but there are some parallel's to the '99 season. Nowhere to go but up and the whole organization seems to be all in. The optimism is so contagious right now among Ram Nation. 2 or 3 big wins and the Coliseum will be bursting.
If they start winning, I see no reason to at least equal what the Trojans bring in.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/...luke-meter-andy-dalton-jared-goff-leveon-bell

Which Week 1 NFL Performances Were Flukes?
BY RODGER SHERMAN

After months of waiting, we finally got our first glimpse of what the NFL will look like in 2017. But Week 1 games can be fickle; for example, you might have noticed that the 49ers did not go on to win last season’s Super Bowl after whipping the Rams 28-0 on Monday Night Football in September.

And who could forget Nick Foles’s 2015 debut with the Rams, when he led his team to a season-opening win over the defending NFC champion Seahawks with 297 passing yards and two touchdowns (one passing, one rushing). He finished that campaign with more picks than touchdowns and never came anywhere near the 300-yard mark again.

Some performances from Week 1 will prove to be the first signs of breakout years; others will go down as total flukes. We looked at seven of the most surprising Week 1 outings—some good, some terrible—and tried to divine whether they’re atypical or harbingers of the season to come.

Jared Goff Becoming an Unstoppable Passing Force
It’s hard to overstate how bad Goff was last season. His rookie campaign was so nightmarish that it prompted even reasonable football analysts to question whether the former no. 1 overall pick was a bust. And it’s hard to overstate how much better Goff looked in Sunday’s 46-9 rout of the Colts.

He finished 21-of-29 passing for 306 yards with a touchdown, went 5-of-5 on passes of 15 yards or more in the first half, and completed as many deep balls in one game as he did all of last season. And the Rams won, the first time they’ve ever done so with Goff starting under center.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0lRIuxpYo&feature=player_embedded

Goff benefited from the Rams’ acquisition of receiver Sammy Watkins, who had five catches on five targets against Indianapolis. But the biggest factor for his improvement seemed to be the play-calling tactics of first-year head coach Sean McVay.

Los Angeles ran plays that seemed logical from a strategic perspective, like play-action passes. Using the threat of Todd Gurley running the ball to buy time for a young quarterback—imagine that!

Part of Goff’s Week 1 success is also attributable to the incredible awfulness of Indianapolis. More NFL teams should play the Colts Week 1. This game felt similar to the instances in college football when Big State U pays West Fartville State $800,000 to schedule a home opener. Indy was abysmal in virtually every aspect in Week 1, and Goff was helped by having some open targets to hit.

The Verdict: I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that Goff won’t consistently be one of the highest-ranked quarterbacks in the league. But pencil me in as a believer that he’ll show marked improvement in McVay’s system. Then again … he still might be bad at throwing footballs.

View: https://twitter.com/rodger_sherman/status/907961183134556161?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F9%2F13%2F16303468%2Fweek-1-fluke-meter-andy-dalton-jared-goff-leveon-bell

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thanks for the link to the Goff highlights @Prime Time

Man he looked good. Man he was well protected. Man the receivers look good. Man i love coach mcvay. Man i need to stop saying man.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The Verdict: I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that Goff won’t consistently be one of the highest-ranked quarterbacks in the league. But pencil me in as a believer that he’ll show marked improvement in McVay’s system. Then again … he still might be bad at throwing footballs.

Perhaps one of, (if not the), most meaningless statements/analysis I have ever read.
He said/opined/predicted absolutely fuck all. Tool.

(Not @Prime Time obviously; btw PT, I want Arnold back- loved that avatar for some reason.
And if @503 would get rid of his fanboy photo, I'd like his titshot avatar back as well. Fair's fair - y'all get to see Coop everyday - c'mon!)

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps one of, (if not the), most meaningless statements/analysis I have ever read.
He said/opined/predicted absolutely freak all. Tool.

(Not @Prime Time obviously; btw PT, I want Arnold back- loved that avatar for some reason.
And if @503 would get rid of his fanboy photo, I'd like his titshot avatar back as well. Fair's fair - y'all get to see Coop everyday - c'mon!)

Yea, you gotta love people who want to talk the talk but won't walk the walk. Talks a lot of shit, but won't make a real prediction. I wonder if he's a lawyer because he's doing some serious ass-covering right there.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/...luke-meter-andy-dalton-jared-goff-leveon-bell

Which Week 1 NFL Performances Were Flukes?
BY RODGER SHERMAN

After months of waiting, we finally got our first glimpse of what the NFL will look like in 2017. But Week 1 games can be fickle; for example, you might have noticed that the 49ers did not go on to win last season’s Super Bowl after whipping the Rams 28-0 on Monday Night Football in September.

And who could forget Nick Foles’s 2015 debut with the Rams, when he led his team to a season-opening win over the defending NFC champion Seahawks with 297 passing yards and two touchdowns (one passing, one rushing). He finished that campaign with more picks than touchdowns and never came anywhere near the 300-yard mark again.

Some performances from Week 1 will prove to be the first signs of breakout years; others will go down as total flukes. We looked at seven of the most surprising Week 1 outings—some good, some terrible—and tried to divine whether they’re atypical or harbingers of the season to come.

Jared Goff Becoming an Unstoppable Passing Force
It’s hard to overstate how bad Goff was last season. His rookie campaign was so nightmarish that it prompted even reasonable football analysts to question whether the former no. 1 overall pick was a bust. And it’s hard to overstate how much better Goff looked in Sunday’s 46-9 rout of the Colts.

He finished 21-of-29 passing for 306 yards with a touchdown, went 5-of-5 on passes of 15 yards or more in the first half, and completed as many deep balls in one game as he did all of last season. And the Rams won, the first time they’ve ever done so with Goff starting under center.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0lRIuxpYo&feature=player_embedded

Goff benefited from the Rams’ acquisition of receiver Sammy Watkins, who had five catches on five targets against Indianapolis. But the biggest factor for his improvement seemed to be the play-calling tactics of first-year head coach Sean McVay.

Los Angeles ran plays that seemed logical from a strategic perspective, like play-action passes. Using the threat of Todd Gurley running the ball to buy time for a young quarterback—imagine that!

Part of Goff’s Week 1 success is also attributable to the incredible awfulness of Indianapolis. More NFL teams should play the Colts Week 1. This game felt similar to the instances in college football when Big State U pays West Fartville State $800,000 to schedule a home opener. Indy was abysmal in virtually every aspect in Week 1, and Goff was helped by having some open targets to hit.

View: https://twitter.com/rodger_sherman/status/907961183134556161?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F9%2F13%2F16303468%2Fweek-1-fluke-meter-andy-dalton-jared-goff-leveon-bell

another turd with the surname sherman (and same initials )

every compliment ive heard about Goff (even from some of our fans) ... have all seemed to be of the back handed variety
Goff played well...but colts stink
Goff played well ..but Mcvay made it easy it for him (which is what a HC should do )
Goff played well ... but he has sammy watkins and improved weapons
and as for the trip he still completed the pass

lets hope for a couple more games like the colts in the coming weeks and JG will get the credit he deserves

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fishers Rams would have made this a close game, probably even losing it. I see great improvement. They beat a bad team the way a good team should. In the last five years we have been dumbfounded by losses to back up QBs and overall horrible teams...like the Niners last year..twice.

So yes this is an enormous improvement. I don't understand why Cowherd is only thinking this is about Goff.
Did we really lose out, going to the playoffs, because we couldn't beat a backup quarterback nicknamed "CLIPBOARD JESUS"? I still can't believe that game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
another turd with the surname sherman (and same initials )

every compliment ive heard about Goff (even from some of our fans) ... have all seemed to be of the back handed variety
Goff played well...but colts stink
Goff played well ..but Mcvay made it easy it for him (which is what a HC should do )
and as for the trip he still completed the pass

lets hope for a couple more games like the colts in the coming weeks and JG will get the credit he deserves
I think, no one will take the Rams seriously until after wk. #4 when we Beat the Cowpie's in their House! Then, MAYBE, People will give us some credit! OR they'll just make-up excuses for there Loss!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Jeff Fisher: A Legacy Of Abject Failure: Was Fisher Really This Clueless?

According to Keyshawn Johnson, Fisher was "forced" to take Jared Goff with the top pick.Johnson said sources told him that Fisher was against selecting Goff: "From my outside people and the inside people that I know with the Rams, that wasn't the choice that Jeff Fisher really wanted".
So now we know why Meshawn is down on Goff. His USC boy didn't like Goff, so he doesn't like Goff. If we can believe Meshawn.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I hear ya coco. I've given up trying to listen to the radio for Rams talk or info. The only ones who talk Rams is Fred Rogin and Rodney Pete at noon and then not very much.

710am is supposed to be the Rams station but they talk nonstop basketball. I wished I knew how to complain to the Rams organization.

Anyone know a phone #? I'd call non-stop if I had one.

I wonder if our friend with AT&T could get it. lol

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
What, and the Eagles didn't make it easier for Wentz last year?

What... so they're supposed to keep the same old crappy receivers from last year?

sports arguments can be so effing stupid. :giveup:

hey yakking heads: scoreboard, bitches

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What, and the Eagles didn't make it easier for Wentz last year?

What... so they're supposed to keep the same old crappy receivers from last year?

sports arguments can be so effing stupid. :giveup:

hey yakking heads: scoreboard, bitches

Amen. It irks me so much when i hear someone say the coaching staff are making it easy for him. That wrs are wide open, that he has time to pass the ball. They can go fuck themselves. That's been Brady's whole career and they slurp him up like a frozen coke on a hot summer's day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@-X-

Do you have GamePass? If so, can you make a youtube video or gif of the Coach's Film of the 9-yard completion Goff threw to Higbee in the 4th Quarter?(both angles if you can)

I know it's a lot to ask, but I think people really should see it (especially the Coach's Film version) to see how far Goff has come in a short time. IMO, it's the most impressive play he made in a game full of impressive play. It easily could have been a pick if Goff had panicked. But he subtly moved within the pocket to change what should have been a sack, pick, or incomplete pass into a first down despite a DT coming up the middle basically unblocked.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@-X-

Do you have GamePass? If so, can you make a youtube video or gif of the Coach's Film of the 9-yard completion Goff threw to Higbee in the 4th Quarter?(both angles if you can)

I know it's a lot to ask, but I think people really should see it (especially the Coach's Film version) to see how far Goff has come in a short time. IMO, it's the most impressive play he made in a game full of impressive play. It easily could have been a pick if Goff had panicked. But he subtly moved within the pocket to change what should have been a sack, pick, or incomplete pass into a first down despite a DT coming up the middle basically unblocked.
ive got gamepass ill see what i can do after work

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Remarkable how facile the sports media is. 7 days ago most were picking the Colts to beat the Rams; 7 days ago some were rating the Rams as the worst team in football. Today, it's the Colts who are the worst team in football??
For weeks & months we got nothing but trashed in the media, calling Goff a bust, predicting we'd be tanking for #1, looking for Goff's replacement, etc., etc. Even by the preseason some dope said we "benched" Goff for Mannion.
How any of them get a pass for being so wrong about the Rams is shocking -- if their "performance" as prognosticators could be held accountable, 90% of them should be fired. I'd understand even some cautious optimism about the Rams, but they didn't even give them that, just kept beating the "Goff is a bust" drum in their echo chambers.
If any of these lazy sports media people would've paid any mind to the Rams' development over the summer, they would've seen the massive improvements across the board in every aspect except ST, which already was pretty stinkin good under Fassell (who, though a great ST coach, was our interim HC for the last few games -- any media types care to recall that nugget when considering Goff's struggles late last season?). Once McVay was hired, so many pieces fell into place, which is no accident -- I don't think Whitworth comes to the Rams if Fisher were still there. On the flip side I don't think we get rid of all-hat-no-cattle Britt if Fisher is still HC. Phillips brought in Barwin (he'll break out soon don't worry, OL's can't focus on him with Donald next to him) and Webster. Snead reeled in Watkins, a true #1 WR, by trading a CB who was better in zone anyway. etc. etc.
All I wanted was for some of them to at least give the Rams some cautious optimism. I don't expect everyone to respect or "waste" time analyzing the team, respect is earned, I get that. But there were a few brave souls who picked us over the Colts, bless them, they actually LOOKED at this team for a few minutes and realized there's something happening here.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Right now it's "fashionable" and the "going thing" to rag on Goff and the Rams. They don't do any homework, and their employers don't care as long as they sell commercials. They ignore the fact this years Rams team is nothing like last season's. Too much change to actually look close and give an accurate report.

And ESPN wonders why they are losing viewers.