Cody Davis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
seems like Mcgee could be Jenkins Brother because that what scares me about Janoris he routinely gets beat on double moves
In my experience, speed guys struggle a bit due to their ability. They always jump routes b4 checking all the signs...They trust their speed to their own detriment...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
boy thats funny...Looks almost like HS....Case of waiting to get hit, rather than attacking the ball carrier. From the little film I've seen of Cody, he's a much better blogger/writer than player right now. I was excited like most when I heard his pro day numbers. Then I saw him on the field...Late to the play, watching, grab-tackling...At least McLeod wants to get in there. He was my favorite ST player b4 Ray Ray. McLeod has proven he's just not an NFL db at this time, maybe he's gotten better...I don't know. I guarantee you'll notice the difference in TJ McDonalds play. I'd much rather they get Mo Alexander up to speed, get him in the game so he can start making plays. ASAP....TJ can handle FS...Davis doubt it...McLeod.....won't really know til week one vs the Vikings. But I'm sure the people that have been to practice could tell us what is he looking/tackling like...he's supposedly running into Stacy....

Its rather obvious you would rather have a bunch of guys who look to go for the knockout hit, and are less concerned about whether or not they actually get the guy on the ground. You reference Davis being a grabber. Some would call that a "wrap up" guy. I promise you this much. If you compare the number of MISSED tackles of McLeod (who you say "wants to get in there") with Davis, it's not even close.

People just assume that because Davis doesn't "lay the wood" on guys he can't play. Look at the numbers of the two of them regarding missed tackles. McLeod was near the league leaders in MISSED tackles. And Mo Alexander is no where close to being ready to be back there. He doesn't know where to line up half of the time. He is one of Williams primary targets when it comes to his patented "critique" from the sideline.

As far as McDonald, he has not had an especially good training camp. He has struggled in man coverage, and hasn't made many plays in zone. His biggest success, has been when he blitzes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Its rather obvious you would rather have a bunch of guys who look to go for the knockout hit, and are less concerned about whether or not they actually get the guy on the ground. You reference Davis being a grabber. Some would call that a "wrap up" guy. I promise you this much. If you compare the number of MISSED tackles of McLeod (who you say "wants to get in there") with Davis, it's not even close.

People just assume that because Davis doesn't "lay the wood" on guys he can't play. Look at the numbers of the two of them regarding missed tackles. McLeod was near the league leaders in MISSED tackles. And Mo Alexander is no where close to being ready to be back there. He doesn't know where to line up half of the time. He is one of Williams primary targets when it comes to his patented "critique" from the sideline.

As far as McDonald, he has not had an especially good training camp. He has struggled in man coverage, and hasn't made many plays in zone. His biggest success, has been when he blitzes.
Not totally related, but where do you see some of the blitzes coming from when it comes to the safeties? Are they filling the 2-gap or coming in through the A or B? Also, are you seeing many D-gap blitzes from the corners? And lastly, are they showing an amoeba front to disguise coverages much?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not totally related, but where do you see some of the blitzes coming from when it comes to the safeties? Are they filling the 2-gap or coming in through the A or B? Also, are you seeing many D-gap blitzes from the corners? And lastly, are they showing an amoeba front to disguise coverages much?

They ran a ton of A gap blitzes today, with the LBs. When they bring the safeties, it is almost always off the edge in an overload blitz. Of all the blitzes he has dialed up, i don't recall any CB blitzes.

Not much with the amoeba stuff, but they did a great job of giving a full out blitz look, and timed it perfectly an pulled out of it and got back into a Cover 2. Bradford changed the play and ended up having to just throw it into the ground. Score a big win for the D on that play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They ran a ton of A gap blitzes today, with the LBs. When they bring the safeties, it is almost always off the edge in an overload blitz. Of all the blitzes he has dialed up, i don't recall any CB blitzes.

Not much with the amoeba stuff, but they did a great job of giving a full out blitz look, and timed it perfectly an pulled out of it and got back into a Cover 2. Bradford changed the play and ended up having to just throw it into the ground. Score a big win for the D on that play.
Nice. That's really encouraging. Thanks.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I'm quite happy with Aaron Donald, but I sure wouldn't have said no to HaHa Clinton-Dix.

Hopefully a year from now we aren't debating as to whether we should start Rodney McLeod or Cody Davis at FS (or Right Safety in Fisher's case)

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Apparently, Chuck Cecil and Greg Williams feel differently about both Davis and Gaines. Davis is a mainstay at FREE SAFETY, albeit with the 2nd unit. But he is the one who QBs the secondary on that group.

Gaines is the ONLY guy not name Joyner working in the Nickel spot. And when he isn't there, he is outside at CB. With McGee and Jenkins bout sitting out today, he has moved up to taking reps with the 1st unit defense, and was taking all the 2nd & 3rd team Nickel reps.

Of course they're playing Davis at FS. That's the's only place where he'd have a chance to stick. Not enough thump to be a SS in Greg Williams D and he certainly can't play corner.

As far as Gaines playing nickel, I think it's a case of seeing what they have. His skillset is that of an outside zone corner. That's what he played the majority of the time at Mizzou. I'd be worried if he's covering the slot once the regular season rolls around. If he can standout in man coverage though Janoris and Trumaine better watch out because he could threaten to take over one of their jobs in a season or two.

I'm very surprised he's the only one other than Joyner playing nickel. No Greg Reid? No McLeod who played there at times last year? Seems odd that they're only playing two players there when you need your 5th and 6th corners to be able to play in the subpackages.

Rambition

Rookie
i'd be shocked if he didn't make the roster, after fighting his way onto it from the practice squad last season and only being better now than he was then.

Rambition

Rookie
I hate to say it but I just can't seem to get the infamous Rich Coady out of my head when I think of Cody Davis.......same the size/speed/translated lack of production - heck, even the name CODY (minus the "a") is thrown in there. Some one in the equipment department was playing the poor kid a horrible joke when he gave him jersey number #38. Its my issue, I know....but...come on guys, how many of you are not thinking the same thing?
ummm...me, for one.