Cody Davis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
What are the probabilities that Cody Davis makes the Rams final roster? Seems like there is a lot more competition at the Rams Safety position this season but I do like Davis's attitude, hustle & drive and I am hoping he makes the team.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What are the probabilities that Cody Davis makes the Rams final roster? Seems like there is a lot more competition at the Rams Safety position this season but I do like Davis's attitude, hustle & drive and I am hoping he makes the team.

It will be a major upset if he does NOT make the roster. He is a fixture on EVERY Special Team. He has taken EVERY rep at FS with the 2nd unit. Hardly a day goes by where Cody Davis doesn't come up with a turnover in at least one of the drills. IMO, he flies under the radar of ALL the media who report on this team.

I get that the starting job is McLeod's to lose, but don't sleep on Davis. I have been one of his biggest supporters. So take my input here with that in mind. But there is no denying, he is bigger, faster and a much more consistent tackler than McLeod. And even with all the newcomers, he is the one guy I think they feel comfortable with, if some sort of injury would pop up.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It will be a major upset if he does NOT make the roster. He is a fixture on EVERY Special Team. He has taken EVERY rep at FS with the 2nd unit. Hardly a day goes by where Cody Davis doesn't come up with a turnover in at least one of the drills. IMO, he flies under the radar of ALL the media who report on this team.

I get that the starting job is McLeod's to lose, but don't sleep on Davis. I have been one of his biggest supporters. So take my input here with that in mind. But there is no denying, he is bigger, faster and a much more consistent tackler than McLeod. And even with all the newcomers, he is the one guy I think they feel comfortable with, if some sort of injury would pop up.

Sounds like great news! Thanks for your updates and information!

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think in a pinch McLeod steps at nickel and Davis starts at FS. I'm actually not sure if that isn't our best defensive backfield come week 1.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think Davis was incredibly overrated by fans who were impressed with his shorts speed when we signed him to a UDFA.

Sounds like he's having a heck of a camp. I'll gladly eat a platter of crow if he turns into a starter, but I see his ceiling as a special teams ace.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

May seem silly but that is a great way to put it Coach. I think a lot of us have favorites out there. It's just nice seeing someone who puts as much effort into these reports and giving us updates and info also offer up this kind of a disclaimer. Very cool.

Anyway, it's nice to hear what you think of Cody. It seems that he also has great tools to be THAT guy at some point. He has elite speed, very good size, and the effort definitely seems to be there. What do you think maybe holds him back? Is it fluidity? or lack of ability to change direction? I know he was a very sure tackler (though not a thumper) coming out of college. Can you see what he might be missing that would put him past McLeod?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I would love to see Cody Davis bump out McLeod but it's more because I'm not a McLeod fan and hope somebody, anybody steps up to replace him on the field. McLeod is a great special teams contributor but that's the ceiling of his NFL talent on a playoff-caliber team.

BD-TomCat

Rookie

do you feel that he is pushing Mccleod? I hope he is cause I'd much rather see him out on the field then Mccleod. His Play style is solid and I love the size speed combo.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
do you feel that he is pushing Mccleod? I hope he is cause I'd much rather see him out on the field then Mccleod. His Play style is solid and I love the size speed combo.

I think Fisher, Williams and Chuck Cecil feel McLeod gives them what they want from the position. But I agree with you. While Davis doesn't have the flash that McLeod may have, in that he isn't going to lower the boom on anyone, his range is better, his size is better, and he just gets guts to the ground.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think Davis was incredibly overrated by fans who were impressed with his shorts speed when we signed him to a UDFA.

Sounds like he's having a heck of a camp. I'll gladly eat a platter of crow if he turns into a starter, but I see his ceiling as a special teams ace.

My question to you, have you actually watched him in practice? I didn't know a thing about him, regarding his measureables, until AFTER I watched him on the field. He shows very good instincts, and as I mentioned, there is rarely a practice go by where he doesn't come up wtht some sort of turnover in at least one of the drills.

As you say, you think he gets OVERRATED by fans because of is "shorts speed", I could say I think he is UNDER RATED because of his style of play. He isn't flashy, doesn't deliver the huge hit that makes all the highlight reels. All he does is be in position, read the play, and actually tackle the guy he needs to get to the ground.

RamWoodie

Legend
I liked this guy when the Rams drafted him last year. He's got a year under his belt now and I think he will be a great asset this year.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
My question to you, have you actually watched him in practice? I didn't know a thing about him, regarding his measureables, until AFTER I watched him on the field. He shows very good instincts, and as I mentioned, there is rarely a practice go by where he doesn't come up wtht some sort of turnover in at least one of the drills.

As you say, you think he gets OVERRATED by fans because of is "shorts speed", I could say I think he is UNDER RATED because of his style of play. He isn't flashy, doesn't deliver the huge hit that makes all the highlight reels. All he does is be in position, read the play, and actually tackle the guy he needs to get to the ground.

I haven't paid much attention to him on the practice field but I saw the same issues in preseason that I saw in college.

I watched a lot of him when he was at Texas Tech. I was underwhelmed. He's fast and very athletic but he doesn't play nearly as fast once the game gets started. I agree with most your analysis in the second part of your post. He's a solid wrap up tackler but there's no thump to his game whatsoever. Not completely necessary, but for a guy his size I'd like to see some pop. Still there are plenty of players that can make a living in the NFL as solid, wrap-up tacklers but what really worried me about Davis were his lack of instincts. This is where I completely disagree with you unless he's completely overhauled his mental game in one season on the PS.

He gets caught with his eyes in the backfield too much and bites on play action a lot. Unfortunately that's hard to teach. Multiple times in his last season in college ball he just got absolutely scorched by receivers either on play action or what looked like a blown assignment, and there was one game in particular (I can't recall which one off the top of my head) where it looked like he was being targeted because of this. Burned twice in the same game..

It's not impossible for him to beat out McLeod, but if that happens I think it says more about how thin we are at the FS position. I hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't see the light going on in his head.

I really want to see E.J. Gaines get some snaps there in camp and the preseason as I think he could have the best value as a deep zone safety in this defense. Has he seen any time there during camp?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I haven't paid much attention to him on the practice field but I saw the same issues in preseason that I saw in college.

I watched a lot of him when he was at Texas Tech. I was underwhelmed. He's fast and very athletic but he doesn't play nearly as fast once the game gets started. I agree with most your analysis in the second part of your post. He's a solid wrap up tackler but there's no thump to his game whatsoever. Not completely necessary, but for a guy his size I'd like to see some pop. Still there are plenty of players that can make a living in the NFL as solid, wrap-up tacklers but what really worried me about Davis were his lack of instincts. This is where I completely disagree with you unless he's completely overhauled his mental game in one season on the PS.

He gets caught with his eyes in the backfield too much and bites on play action a lot. Unfortunately that's hard to teach. Multiple times in his last season in college ball he just got absolutely scorched by receivers either on play action or what looked like a blown assignment, and there was one game in particular (I can't recall which one off the top of my head) where it looked like he was being targeted because of this. Burned twice in the same game..

It's not impossible for him to beat out McLeod, but if that happens I think it says more about how thin we are at the FS position. I hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't see the light going on in his head.

I understand your comments, but I haven't seen that nearly as much here. Maybe he is much more assignment conscious, and while being in the "single high" position more than he isn't he is not nearly as susceptible to the play action as he was when his in the box.

Its pretty obvious, he knows is role is PASS first. and run support only AFTER you are sure. As far as the seeing "some pop", I couldn't care less about that, myself, i just want him to get the guy down.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I understand your comments, but I haven't seen that nearly as much here. Maybe he is much more assignment conscious, and while being in the "single high" position more than he isn't he is not nearly as susceptible to the play action as he was when his in the box.

Its pretty obvious, he knows is role is PASS first. and run support only AFTER you are sure. As far as the seeing "some pop", I couldn't care less about that, myself, i just want him to get the guy down.

As far as the pop goes, it's nice, but ultimately you're right, it's not necessary if he can become sound in the other aspects of his game. If we can get someone that's reliable in the deep zones it's really going to free up what Gregg Williams can do with T.J. McDonald who does have that thump.

We'll see how he looks in the preseason. He should get some solid PT in the first game.

BD-TomCat

Rookie

He is basically James Larinitus at the FS position with more speed. Very very solid player but gets overlooked because he doenst make splash plays.

cracengl

Rookie

I agree with you on the pop. I've seen too many guys go for the glory on the tackle and fail. Just get the guy to the ground. Not to mention there are a lot of guys who hit like a freight train, but they spend a lot of that time banged up or have shorter careers.

Debacled

Starter

I had the exact same feeling about him coming out. Reminds me A LOT of JL55. Solid game, but doesn't put up the highlight reel hits/plays (not like that is a bad thing). Solid form tackler who is a good enough athlete with a very good head on his shoulders.

Definitely has the ability to be a good player in the league, but will never be a fan favorite because like you said he really isn't flashy.

lockdnram21

Legend
If Gaines becomes nickel cb i think Joyner would be Fs before Davis. Imo Davis is more of a strong safety

CoachO

Hall of Fame
[QUOTE="lockdnram21, post: 359601,
think Joyner would be Fs before Davis. Imo Davis is more of a strong safety[/QUOTE]

I disagree. He shows pretty good instincts in reading the play from the high safety spot. And he is not physical enough to play SS.