Cody Davis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
My question to you, have you actually watched him in practice? I didn't know a thing about him, regarding his measureables, until AFTER I watched him on the field. He shows very good instincts, and as I mentioned, there is rarely a practice go by where he doesn't come up wtht some sort of turnover in at least one of the drills.

As you say, you think he gets OVERRATED by fans because of is "shorts speed", I could say I think he is UNDER RATED because of his style of play. He isn't flashy, doesn't deliver the huge hit that makes all the highlight reels. All he does is be in position, read the play, and actually tackle the guy he needs to get to the ground.

lockdnram21

Legend
[QUOTE="lockdnram21, post: 359601,
think Joyner would be Fs before Davis. Imo Davis is more of a strong safety

I disagree. He shows pretty good instincts in reading the play from the high safety spot. And he is not physical enough to play SS.[/QUOTE]
he might show that in practice but yet to do in games. that was one of the reasons he went undrafted.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I disagree. He shows pretty good instincts in reading the play from the high safety spot. And he is not physical enough to play SS.
he might show that in practice but yet to do in games. that was one of the reasons he went undrafted.[/QUOTE]

I get it. You don't think as much if him as I do. To each his own.

RamWoodie

Legend
I disagree. He shows pretty good instincts in reading the play from the high safety spot. And he is not physical enough to play SS.
I would think it this way Coach O...He's physical enough...but not big enough. Davis will deliver with pop...but he's no SS.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I would think it this way Coach O...He's physical enough...but not big enough. Davis will deliver with pop...but he's no SS.

Correct, He is a FS not a strong safety. He has more range (combination of speed and instincts than Mcleod). His baseline job is to be the last man standing; that is make the last tackle no matter what & get to either sideline at 30 to 40 yds deep.. IMO, He has and will continue to do his job.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

I saw at least 7 of his games from his final year at Texas Tech and all of the Rams preseason games. I've yet to see Davis deliver with pop.

If you have a weak stomach, don't watch this tackle attempt on Seahawks backup, and future starter Christine Michael. :LOL:

He doesn't whiff often though, so that would be an improvement over McLeod I guess. If CoachO is right about him being less exposed in the deep safety role, he could see some snaps on defense.

lockdnram21

Legend
Correct, He is a FS not a strong safety. He has more range (combination of speed and instincts than Mcleod). His baseline job is to be the last man standing; that is make the last tackle no matter what & get to either sideline at 30 to 40 yds deep.. IMO, He has and will continue to do his job.
in college he was a ss just cause he has speed doesnt mean he has range

Rams22

UDFA
Name
Rams22
I hate to say it but I just can't seem to get the infamous Rich Coady out of my head when I think of Cody Davis.......same the size/speed/translated lack of production - heck, even the name CODY (minus the "a") is thrown in there. Some one in the equipment department was playing the poor kid a horrible joke when he gave him jersey number #38. Its my issue, I know....but...come on guys, how many of you are not thinking the same thing?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I haven't paid much attention to him on the practice field but I saw the same issues in preseason that I saw in college.

I watched a lot of him when he was at Texas Tech. I was underwhelmed. He's fast and very athletic but he doesn't play nearly as fast once the game gets started. I agree with most your analysis in the second part of your post. He's a solid wrap up tackler but there's no thump to his game whatsoever. Not completely necessary, but for a guy his size I'd like to see some pop. Still there are plenty of players that can make a living in the NFL as solid, wrap-up tacklers but what really worried me about Davis were his lack of instincts. This is where I completely disagree with you unless he's completely overhauled his mental game in one season on the PS.

He gets caught with his eyes in the backfield too much and bites on play action a lot. Unfortunately that's hard to teach. Multiple times in his last season in college ball he just got absolutely scorched by receivers either on play action or what looked like a blown assignment, and there was one game in particular (I can't recall which one off the top of my head) where it looked like he was being targeted because of this. Burned twice in the same game..

It's not impossible for him to beat out McLeod, but if that happens I think it says more about how thin we are at the FS position. I hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't see the light going on in his head.

I really want to see E.J. Gaines get some snaps there in camp and the preseason as I think he could have the best value as a deep zone safety in this defense. Has he seen any time there during camp?

Zigzag I think you just described McLeod with your post. I just don't see McLeod as a good FS. I am in agreement with coacho on this I think Davis is under rated. Give him some time and I think he takes the job. IMO.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Zigzag I think you just described McLeod with your post. I just don't see McLeod as a good FS. I am in agreement with coacho on this I think Davis is under rated. Give him some time and I think he takes the job. IMO.

Nah, McLeod is pretty much the opposite player as Davis. Terrible wrap up tackler but he can lay the wood every once in awhile. Better in coverage than Davis.

Neither are anything to get excited about. That's why I'd like to see E.J. Gaines get a shot there.

lockdnram21

Legend
Nah, McLeod is pretty much the opposite player as Davis. Terrible wrap up tackler but he can lay the wood every once in awhile. Better in coverage than Davis.

Neither are anything to get excited about. That's why I'd like to see E.J. Gaines get a shot there.

i would rather put Gaines at nickel and put joyner at fs

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
i would rather put Gaines at nickel and put joyner at fs

While I think Joyner would be a good FS, I think he'll be good in that nickel role as well. I don't ever see Gaines as a good nickel because he's a better zone corner than man cover. I could see shifty NFL inside receivers giving him fits. He seems like the type you'd plug in in nickel packages but on the outside with one of your better cover men shifting to the slot.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
While I think Joyner would be a good FS, I think he'll be good in that nickel role as well. I don't ever see Gaines as a good nickel because he's a better zone corner than man cover. I could see shifty NFL inside receivers giving him fits. He seems like the type you'd plug in in nickel packages but on the outside with one of your better cover men shifting to the slot.

Apparently, Chuck Cecil and Greg Williams feel differently about both Davis and Gaines. Davis is a mainstay at FREE SAFETY, albeit with the 2nd unit. But he is the one who QBs the secondary on that group.

Gaines is the ONLY guy not name Joyner working in the Nickel spot. And when he isn't there, he is outside at CB. With McGee and Jenkins bout sitting out today, he has moved up to taking reps with the 1st unit defense, and was taking all the 2nd & 3rd team Nickel reps.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gaines is the ONLY guy not name Joyner working in the Nickel spot. And when he isn't there, he is outside at CB. With McGee and Jenkins bout sitting out today, he has moved up to taking reps with the 1st unit defense, and was taking all the 2nd & 3rd team Nickel reps.
J.T. says Gaines is a bit of a ball-hawk in camp this year. Does he appear to have pretty good instincts to you?

BD-TomCat

Rookie
coach how has mcgee looked. Everytime someone gets burned I hear his name. a guy can have great coverage and guys still makes great catches on them. how is his positioning on these catches is his coverage bad or is it he just needs to get better at locating the ball to make a swat

CoachO

Hall of Fame
J.T. says Gaines is a bit of a ball-hawk in camp this year. Does he appear to have pretty good instincts to you?

Absolutely. His football IQ is exceptional. as is Joyner. I think those two players are gonna be linked together for a long time. They are similar players, but Gaines is a much more accomplished true CB, Joyner is more a competitor who knows how to play to his own strengths.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
coach how has mcgee looked. Everytime someone gets burned I hear his name. a guy can have great coverage and guys still makes great catches on them. how is his positioning on these catches is his coverage bad or is it he just needs to get better at locating the ball to make a swat

That is the thing that worries me. He routinely gets beaten on double moves, and other times just gets beaten clean. He seems to have all the skills to be a decent cover guy, but his contribution, IMO will be on Special Teams. I think you will see EJ Gaines move past him soon as the next CB up.

lockdnram21

Legend
That is the thing that worries me. He routinely gets beaten on double moves, and other times just gets beaten clean. He seems to have all the skills to be a decent cover guy, but his contribution, IMO will be on Special Teams. I think you will see EJ Gaines move past him soon as the next CB up.
seems like Mcgee could be Jenkins Brother because that what scares me about Janoris he routinely gets beat on double moves

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw at least 7 of his games from his final year at Texas Tech and all of the Rams preseason games. I've yet to see Davis deliver with pop.

If you have a weak stomach, don't watch this tackle attempt on Seahawks backup, and future starter Christine Michael. :LOL:

He doesn't whiff often though, so that would be an improvement over McLeod I guess. If CoachO is right about him being less exposed in the deep safety role, he could see some snaps on defense.

boy thats funny...Looks almost like HS....Case of waiting to get hit, rather than attacking the ball carrier. From the little film I've seen of Cody, he's a much better blogger/writer than player right now. I was excited like most when I heard his pro day numbers. Then I saw him on the field...Late to the play, watching, grab-tackling...At least McLeod wants to get in there. He was my favorite ST player b4 Ray Ray. McLeod has proven he's just not an NFL db at this time, maybe he's gotten better...I don't know. I guarantee you'll notice the difference in TJ McDonalds play. I'd much rather they get Mo Alexander up to speed, get him in the game so he can start making plays. ASAP....TJ can handle FS...Davis doubt it...McLeod.....won't really know til week one vs the Vikings. But I'm sure the people that have been to practice could tell us what is he looking/tackling like...he's supposedly running into Stacy....