Cody Davis to I.R. :(

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Even though IR is an eight week minimum, it doesn't mean that Davis has an eight week injury. It could be a four week injury, but they can't afford to carry him on the active roster during that time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wow, didn't see this coming. Bummer, he's been solid this year.

Rams Place Cody Davis on IR
Posted 21 minutes ago
slideshow-icon.png

VIEW GALLERY | 58 Photos
PHOTOS: Rams vs. Giants Through the Years

The Rams will be without safety Cody Davis for at least the next eight weeks, as the club placed him on injured reserve Friday morning.

Davis suffered a thigh injury during the Week 6 victory over the Jaguars, and has not practiced since.

In his fifth year out of Texas Tech, Davis has played well in the Rams’ new defensive scheme, recording an interception, a pair of pass breakups, and 22 total tackles in 2017.

With the new IR rules implemented this year, teams can activate two players from injured reserve, but only after they have spent eight weeks on the list. Teams also do not have to designate a player to return when he is placed on injured reserve. In theory, Davis would be eliglbe to return just before the end of Los Angeles' season.

Aside from Davis, the Rams have four players currently on IR: defensive lineman Dominique Easley, tight end Temarrick Hemingway, wide receiver Bradley Marquez, and running back Leonard Tillery.

With the move, Los Angeles currently has 52 players on its active roster. Head coach Sean McVay will likely address Davis’ situation — and who may take the 53rd roster spot — at his media session following Friday’s practice.
I wonder if this means they will bring up Isaiah Johnson from the PD!?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
and I have heard McVay describe Dunbar as someone who can do what Tavon does, but is bigger. He's another weapon in the arsenal.....

And I know this might be tough for an old Navy man like yourself, but you can never have too many weapons.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's my 2 cents....Its my belief this is the last we will see of Cody Davis as a Ram. Cody has been playing well this season. He was the starting safety while LJ was injured. Free Agency: 2018 (UFA) is where Cody will be in March. I would suspect that he is looking for a full-time gig. Cody will be 29 yrs old next season. Now if Lamarcus Joyner departs then there may be some interest in resigning him but Cody has been a bargain priced DB the last few seasons. Cody made a near 1.8 million this season. Cody will be looking for more than that. Rams have some lower priced options just about as good.

Now as to how this loss will effect this Defense moving forward...Blake Countess has been seeing most of the action @ safety since Cody's Injury. Corner NR-C has been getting a ton of action too where LJ remains @ safety with John Johnson III & NR-C takes the slot or the outside corner post. Strong Safety Marqui Christian does not offer the versatility as needed to play in the Wade "D". Both Countess & Christian are signed & under contract the next few seasons.

Isaiah Johnson does offer up the versatility that Wade needs in his back safeties. IJ played well in pre season & hits & wraps well. IJ came into the NFL to the Lions as a UDFA in 2015. This is his 3rd season. He played in 3 games for the Rams in 2016. Now the Rams will have three Johnson's hanging out in our secondary:censored:.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/isaiah-johnson?id=2553291

CB-Johnson/ NR-C
CB-Webster/ Hill / Hatfield
SAF-Joyner/ Countess/ Johnson I.
SAF-Johnson J./ Christian/ Davis

The Gold indicates the Five Ram DB's that will be involved with the Free Agency in March of 2018. Its a good opportunity for these young safeties to prove that they can play a bigger part in this defense. IN turn it could pay off for one of them to contend for a starting post next to John Johnson III. I would also expect that Snead/McVay?Wade will have their scouts doing some extra work looking @ DB's for the upcoming 2018 draft. Rams could use 3 to 4 new DB's in this next draft.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Here's my 2 cents....Its my beleif this is the last we will see of Cody Davis as a Ram. Cody has been playing well this season. He was the starting safety while LJ was injured. Free Agency: 2018 (UFA) is where Cody will be in March. I would suspect that he is looking for a full-time gig. Cody will be 29 yrs old next season. Now if Lamarcus Joyner departs then there may be some interest in resigning him but Cody has been a bargain priced DB the last few seasons. Cody made a near 1.8 million this season. Cody will be looking for more than that. Rams have some lower priced options just about as good.

Now as to how this loss will effect this Defense moving forward...Blake Countess has been seeing most of the action @ safety since Cody's Injury. Corner NR-C has been getting a ton of action too where LJ remains @ safety with John Johnson III & NR-C takes the slot or the outside corner post. Strong Safety Marqui Christian does not offer the versatility as needed to play in the Wade "D". Both Countess & Christian are signed & under contract the next few seasons.

Isaiah Johnson does offer up the versatility that Wade needs in his back safeties. IJ played well in pre season & hits & wraps well. IJ came into the NFL to the Lions as a UDFA in 2015. Tis is his 3rd season. He played in 3 games for the Rams in 2016. Now the Rams will have three Johnson's hanging out in our secondary:censored:.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/isaiah-johnson?id=2553291
Maybe, we'll start whacking WR's around....That's a lot of free swinging Johnson's!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know, gotta admit I'm just not a big fan of Dunbar and what he supposedly adds. Wasn't too thrilled with his signing, and tbh not sure how much better he makes this team.

I suppose there's some value in having a guy who can do what Gurley does coming off the bench and being used the same way, but he's not nearly the runner TG is so I still think Brown factors in there.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Swabbies > jarheads, dog-faces, fly-boys, and coasties!:rockon:
Heard it before...
Dog-faces? So that what squids call us huh, :rimshot:had some good times on the USS Paul Revere while practicing beach landings at Pendleton, a very good crew it was

As for Cody Davis, what the heck, I really thought he was on the cusp of a break out year...then this

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heard it before...
Dog-faces? So that what squids call us huh, :rimshot:had some good times on the USS Paul Revere while practicing beach landings at Pendleton, a very good crew it was

As for Cody Davis, what the heck, I really thought he was on the cusp of a break out year...then this

dog faces= army....I only though marines did amphibious landings? Which are/were you?
I mean even as an enlisted squid like I used to be, we were empowered to name all jarheads/jy-rines, leathernecks what we wished due to the US Marine Corp being an appendage of the US Navy!:rockon:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I was in the Army stationed at Ft Lewis Washington

We trained with jarheads at Pendleton practicing beach landings circa 1977

Good Times, we all got along great, one thing Hollywood gets wrong is from the ship to the landing craft, those damn nets were slapping hard against the hull... what an experience

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I love the Navy and the Air Force! Whenever we had to go fight somewhere we would ask them for a ride!

Great taxi service they provided.