Coaches hired and fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
As mentioned in the Black Monday thread, Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell was fired.

I find it funny that they blame the OC for having the impossible job of running a real NFL offense with a backyard running back trying to play QB.

"Okay guys, on this next play, the receivers have 10 seconds to get open, so go out there and scramble, don't worry about running routes."

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Must be refreshing to be a billionaire and not give one crap about how you look or what people think of you.
Jerry-Jones.jpg

stan-kroenke-011216-usnews-getty-ftr_dbqp6csuplc51nv2kfw7er9w0.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/report-seahawks-fire-tom-cable/

Seahawks fire Tom Cable
Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2018

154275793-e1515620818133.jpg

Getty Images

The changes to the Seahawks coaching staff keep on coming.

Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times reports that the team has fired assistant head coach/offensive line coach Tom Cable. That report comes a day after the Seahawks dismissed offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and hours after word that they may also be parting ways with defensive coordinator Kris Richard. Quarterbacks coach Carl Davis has also reportedly been relieved of his duties.

Cable has been on the Seahawks staff since 2011, which was the last time that the Seahawks didn’t make the playoffs before this season. The play of the offensive line has been subpar in recent seasons and the Seahawks have tried high draft picks, free agent signings and a trade for left tackle Duane Brown in hopes of perking things up without finding much success.

All the moves will lead to many new faces on the Seahawks coaching staff in 2018. With a fair amount of turnover also expected on the defensive side of the ball, there should be a very different looking Seahawks team when offseason work begins in a few months.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/kris-richard-may-be-leaving-seahawks-as-well/

Kris Richard may be leaving Seahawks as well
Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2018

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwewyjdlmwfiothjymuzmzu1mtllmzgzotg3mwuzndlh-e1515606250436.jpeg

AP

Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard interviewed for the Colts’ head coaching job and he may be looking for a new job even if Indianapolis goes in a different direction.

Dave Mahler of KJR Radio reported Wednesday that Richard will be leaving the team while Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Richard “would be allowed out of his contract” if another team wanted to bring him onto their staff. The Seahawks have already parted ways with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell after missing the playoffs for the first time since 2011.

The news of a change at the top of the defensive staff doesn’t come totally out of left field. The Seahawks were reportedly interested in a reunion with former defensive coordinator Gus Bradley before Bradley re-signed with the Chargers on Tuesday night and it seems likely that he would have returned to his old job if things had gone the other way.

Mahler also reports that the team will make a change at quarterbacks coach with Carl Smith leaving the team, so it looks like there will be a good deal of turnover on the Seattle sideline this offseason.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow!

Carroll really sold his soul to the devil to keep his job... it's like he has no staff left. Sold his soul for what?

I don't see how this could possible end up with an improved SEA team next year... I'd bet good money they end up with a worse record and out of the playoffs for the second year in a row..

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Must be refreshing to be a billionaire and not give one crap about how you look or what people think of you.

Oh I hear that but even if I was alone on a deserted island I'd rather wear a coconut on my head.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Smith is not great, he's good, maybe very good. But not great. And 1-4 in the last 5 years in KC.

I think with the amount of "mehness" in QB play right now, Alex Smith could be considered great.

If McVay and Goff had the weapons Smith and Reid have they would have won 13 games in a harder division and with a harder schedule and would still be in the playoffs. And possibly with home field advantage.

Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, and Tyrek Hill. That's all they have. Quick, name a KC Chiefs WR.

If Alex Smith had Todd Gurley, Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp, Tavon Austin his team would be under the scenario you described.

The fact that he isn't winning playoff games lately and has a losing record when he is in the post season and playing in a weak ass division like he has done much of his career.

Reid has "big boy pants" literally, but not figuratively.

OK I did that because of the posts about the use of the word literally. I think I used it correctly and want some love for that.......... :ROFLMAO:

Ehh, the Chiefs haven't won at home in the playoffs since apparently the early 90s. He's an OC, and when he called the plays KC went on a 4 game win streak after a 4 game losing streak.

TexasRam

Legend
I think with the amount of "mehness" in QB play right now, Alex Smith could be considered great.

Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, and Tyrek Hill. That's all they have. Quick, name a KC Chiefs WR.

If Alex Smith had Todd Gurley, Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp, Tavon Austin his team would be under the scenario you described.

Ehh, the Chiefs haven't won at home in the playoffs since apparently the early 90s. He's an OC, and when he called the plays KC went on a 4 game win streak after a 4 game losing streak.

Kelce, Hill and Hunt. 3 Dynamic Pro Bowlers. And you say that’s all they have? Man. An offense with 4 Pro Bowlers at skill positions is a lot no?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Wow!

Carroll really sold his soul to the devil to keep his job... it's like he has no staff left. Sold his soul for what?

I don't see how this could possible end up with an improved SEA team next year... I'd bet good money they end up with a worse record and out of the playoffs for the second year in a row..

Reading what Seahawks fans had to say in their forums this season led me to believe they are probably celebrating right about now. Most of the blame fell on OC Darrell Bevell who they claimed was too predictable. Now firing their DC would come as a surprise.
************************************************************************************
Norv Turner is a respected OC but I don't see him fitting in with Cam Newton. Maybe they're bringing him in to settle Cam down. Good luck with that Norv.
**************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/report-panthers-finalizing-deal-with-norv-turner/

Panthers finalizing deal with Norv Turner
Posted by Charean Williams on January 10, 2018

475858924-e1515625537714.jpg

Getty Images

The Panthers are finalizing a deal to make Norv Turner their offensive coordinator, David Newton of ESPN reports.

Turner’s son, Scott, the quarterbacks coach at the University of Michigan, will join the Panthers’ staff as quarterbacks coach.

The Panthers fired offensive coordinator Mike Shula and quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey on Tuesday. Head coach Ron Rivera cited the changes as necessary to further the development of Cam Newton, whose two lowest passer ratings came the last two seasons.

Carolina already employs Norv Turner’s brother, Ron, as an offensive consultant, and Norv Turner’s nephew, Cameron, as assistant quarterbacks coach. Scott was the quality control coach during Rivera’s first two seasons.

Norv Turner, 65, parted ways with the Vikings midway through the 2016 season. He did not coach this season.

He previously served as offensive coordinator for the Cowboys (1991-1993), Chargers (2001), Dolphins (2002-2003), Raiders (2004-2005), 49ers (2006), Browns (2013), and Vikings (2014-2016). He was Washington’s head coach from 1994-2000 and the Chargers’ head coach from 2007-12.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Turner’s son, Scott, the quarterbacks coach at the University of Michigan, will join the Panthers’ staff as quarterbacks coach.

This speaks to a previous topic..........

And what the fuck is Carolina thinking. Newton running Turner's O?

Oh this will be so good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You just named a Chiefs WR, Tyreek Hill. I can name others too: Albert Wilson, Chris Conley, and DeMarcus Robinson.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
It's refreshing even if you're not a billionaire.

And of course, ideologically your right, but anyone wearing a suit and sporting, what I'm guessing is a paid-for styling, cares about their appearance, and if you care about that, then you care what people think.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-negotiating-long-term-deal-with-bill-obrien/

Texans negotiating long-term deal with Bill O’Brien
Posted by Charean Williams on January 10, 2018

8849468601-e1515631884231.jpg

Getty Images

With the Texans set to hire Brian Gaine as General Manager, they will turn their attention to getting Bill O’Brien on board for the long haul. Houston is negotiating a long-term contract extension with the head coach, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports.

O’Brien, who has a year left on his contract, is expected to sign the deal, according to McClain.

O’Brien was the subject of late-season speculation that tension between he and Rick Smith would force one of them out. As it turned out, Smith took a year-long leave of absence to tend to his wife, who is undergoing breast cancer treatment in Arizona.

Now, nearing agreements for a new G.M. and on an extension for their head coach, the Texans have left no doubt about who they are entrusting their future to.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Kelce, Hill and Hunt. 3 Dynamic Pro Bowlers. And you say that’s all they have? Man. An offense with 4 Pro Bowlers at skill positions is a lot no?

Kareem Hunt really slammed down back to earth after his first 3 weeks, and really that dude didn't rebound until this new Bears coach took over again. Tyreek Hill is decent receiver and does one thing very well. That leaves Travis Kelce has the lone stud.

Compare that to a team like Chargers who have Melvin Ingram, Hunter Henry, Antonio Gates, Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin. Or the Steelers with Antonio Brown, Lev Bell, JuJu, Jesse James, Marty Bryant. Or the Saints with Mark Ingram, Alvin Kamara, Mike Thomas, Willie Snead, Ted Ginn, etc. Or the Rams with TGII, Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, the Seahawks miss the playoffs barely and are now in full panic mode, firing many of the coaches who built their playoff squad.

Hahahaha. That team is toast.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Norv Turner is a respected OC but I don't see him fitting in with Cam Newton. Maybe they're bringing him in to settle Cam down. Good luck with that Norv.

And what the freak is Carolina thinking. Newton running Turner's O?

Cam's first offensive coordinator was Rob Chudzinski, who, like Norv Turner, is an Air Coryell disciple. So it's actually not a bad fit. And Turner isn't afraid to run the ball either, which fits with Carolina's personnel.

Don't forget, Cam had a pretty good rookie season under Chud.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-the-favorite-to-be-the-cardinals-next-coach/

Pat Shurmur is the favorite to be the Cardinals’ next coach
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 11, 2018

455158382-e1514923978618.jpg

Getty Images

Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur is reportedly the favorite to be the next head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Shurmur has emerged as the frontrunner for the job, Craig Fouhy of ABC15 reports. Fouhy was the first to report that Bruce Arians planned to retire at the end of the 2017 season, so he has a good track record of reporting on the Cardinals’ coaching situation.

Although he can’t be hired while the Vikings are still in the postseason, multiple teams have shown interest in Shurmur. The Giants and Lions reportedly like him as well. It’s possible that he’ll have more than one offer.

Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, who also has had multiple interviews, is considered No. 2 on the Cardinals’ list, according to the report. Wilks has an advantage over Shurmur in that his season is over and he can be hired immediately, so a team that’s worried about waiting too long and missing out on all its favorite candidates might want to hire Wilks now instead of waiting for Shurmur later.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/bears-hiring-mark-helfrich-as-offensive-coordinator/

Bears hiring Mark Helfrich as offensive coordinator
Posted by Josh Alper on January 11, 2018

625208048-e1515682248162.jpg

Getty Images

The Bears dipped into the collegiate ranks to hire offensive line coach Harry Hiestand and they are doing the same at offensive coordinator.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Bears have hired former University of Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich for the offensive coaching staff of Matt Nagy.

Helfrich was the offensive coordinator of the Ducks from 2009-2012 and moved into the head coaching spot after Chip Kelly left for the Eagles. He won 33 games in his first three seasons and went to a national title game before being fired after going 4-8 during the 2016 season.

Those Oregon offenses were known for being fast-paced and Nagy comes from running a Chiefs offense that featured a fair amount of the spread formations Helfrich favored in Eugene matched with West Coast concepts, so it seems a fair bet that the Bears are going to have Mitch Trubisky running an offense that melds those things in 2018.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bears really sticking their necks out. SeaHags dumping coaches when they should be dumping players.

That's not a coco-nut on your head Wolf?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Mike Shula as new QBs coach if he doesn't get other offers? McVay seems tight with the Shula family.

Don't like the idea!! Look at what he did with Cam Newton, he stinks!!JMHO!