Coaches hired and fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike Shula as new QBs coach if he doesn't get other offers? McVay seems tight with the Shula family.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Mike Shula as new QBs coach if he doesn't get other offers? McVay seems tight with the Shula family.

Seems like a logical fit, no?

For the other people who may have missed it: Mike Shula and brother Dave Shula are sons of legendary coach Don Shula. One of Dave's sons, Chris Shula, is a college buddy and former teammate of Sean McVay and lives in one of Sean's bedrooms here in SoCal. Chris is also Rams assistant linebackers coach. Chris Shula's parents, Dave and Leslie, have visited/hung out with McVay and Chris at McVay's house here in SoCal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ernova-sean-mcvay-leading-la-rams-his-own-way

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
IMHO the Bears have a pretty solid defense and if they keep Fangio and with Howard & Cohen they might be able to move up, but that division is getting tough.

They also need a WR, Cam Meredith is coming off ACL and Kevin White is a never was. But if they shore up that, they are pretty good. And this new coach is a good OC. I think based on whoever is out there, this is as good a hire they can do.

He's Marty Schottenheimer Light.

Based on???

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He helped Alex Smith become a great QB

Smith is not great, he's good, maybe very good. But not great. And 1-4 in the last 5 years in KC.

If McVay and Goff had the weapons Smith and Reid have they would have won 13 games in a harder division and with a harder schedule and would still be in the playoffs. And possibly with home field advantage.

My opinion of course.

Based on???

The fact that he isn't winning playoff games lately and has a losing record when he is in the post season and playing in a weak ass division like he has done much of his career.

Reid has "big boy pants" literally, but not figuratively.

OK I did that because of the posts about the use of the word literally. I think I used it correctly and want some love for that.......... :ROFLMAO:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Seems like a logical fit, no?

For the other people who may have missed it: Mike Shula and brother Dave Shula are sons of legendary coach Don Shula. One of Dave's sons, Chris Shula, is a college buddy and former teammate of Sean McVay and lives in one of Sean's bedrooms here in SoCal. Chris is also Rams assistant linebackers coach. Chris Shula's parents, Dave and Leslie, have visited/hung out with McVay
So you are hoping they will hire a coach based on the fact that they know him?

If Olsen leaves I hope they thoroughly vet every potential person out there and make a choice.

Fishers buddy system didn't work out to well.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
No where near because of McVay's success, the guy is near 40... looks like he's in his mid 40s with his grey beard. And he's not the OC McVay was. So just a normal hire... and unimpressive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
WRT Eliot Wolf gettin passed over in GB it's going to be interesting to see where he ends up. I would think he'd be lookin to come off the tit of his Dad's ex-associates to make his own name, but the rumors are Browns and Raiders, where his Dad's ex-associates are lol.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/12143

The Las Vegas Review-Journal's Michael Gehlken reports the Raiders will interview Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf for a job in Oakland's front office.
35-year-old Wolf was passed over for the Packers' GM job in favor of Brian Gutekunst and appears to be looking at outside jobs. He's currently in Cleveland interviewing to possibly join ex-Packers front office man John Dorsey. In Oakland, another ex-Packers executive, Reggie McKenzie is running the show. Wolf's dad, Ron, worked with McKenzie and Jon Gruden in Green Bay. Jan 9 - 9:01 PM

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
FB_IMG_1515554980957.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

One thing I can't figure out with these coach's kids is why they don't strike off on their own vice hanging around on Daddy's staff as so many of them do. Seriously man if I were a coach's kid I would use the connections to instead take a small college program, build it up, and work my way to the pro ranks hopefully at some point if I'm good enough. It's important I think for a man to make his name.

Plus, not all these guys are savants like McVay. I think for most of them, like the Shula kids for example, runnin the whole show at a lower level would be very good experience for them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One thing I can't figure out with these coach's kids is why they don't strike off on their own vice hanging around on Daddy's staff as so many of them do.

Just my take on it..........

Rather than risking it, and it's a volatile with lots of turnover they keep their children close by until they have established a handful of years of their own connections.

This business recycles coaches into all sorts of positions, with all sorts of teams and different coaches. Guys go up and down the ladder as they travel across the US from team to team. You need a network to do that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Plus, not all these guys are savants like McVay. I think for most of them, like the Shula kids for example, runnin the whole show at a lower level would be very good experience for them.

It's a nice thought and I don't disagree, but you have a choice to be the assistant WR Coach at Wossamotta U, where you are an unknown not working for much or be part of your Dad's staff or working with your Dad like Zak Kromer for example making more money and living far better and maybe getting time to spend with your Dad, you ordinary wouldn't.

Being an Assistant coach not easy at any level, like in the film We Are Marshall....Longer hours for less pay, overall, if they have the ability, they will head out on their own, but if given an opportunity to work at the highest level in any capacity, beats being alone and on your own although the low pay does not matter because if you chose that road, I'm sure you would be funded from afar, but again I can understand the decisions either way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a nice thought and I don't disagree, but you have a choice to be the assistant WR Coach at Wossamotta U, where you are an unknown not working for much or be part of your Dad's staff or working with your Dad like Zak Kromer for example making more money and living far better and maybe getting time to spend with your Dad, you ordinary wouldn't.

Yeah I get it. Just don't like the nepotism, personally. I would definitely strike out on my own once I got my feet wet long enough on Dad's staff. And while a lot of these guys sorta get handed around to HCs that know their Dads at first, that's an area where I think they'd be better served to go down a level and get dirty, build that expertise off the wing so to speak, then come back to the NFL at some point with a resume nobody can knock.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/packers-hire-frank-cignetti-as-quarterbacks-coach/

Packers hire Frank Cignetti as quarterbacks coach
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 10, 2018

75386237.jpg

Getty Images

The Packers are rebuilding their coaching staff, and their latest hire is a guy coach Mike McCarthy knows well.

According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers have hired Frank Cignetti as their next quarterbacks coach.

He worked with former Packers assistant Ben McAdoo with the Giants the last two years. He was with the Rams prior to that, as the quarterbacks coach and eventually coordinator. He also worked with the 49ers, Chiefs, and Saints with some stints in colleges, and when he was in New Orleans he was on staff with McCarthy.

The Packers fired offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett and defensive coordinator Dom Capers this offseason, along with quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt.

That kind of transition isn’t necessarily in character for the Packers, but in an offseason in which they also replaced their General Manager, it seems they’re doing all their turnover at once.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good opportunity for Cigs to get himself well-versed in the gameplanning side of things. McCarthy does a great job there.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

There's just no reason for a grown man to have this haircut. None. I don't care if you're homeless blind or bald. Arent there people who supposedly care about him because if I was his friend, or even if I just met the guy, I would tell him in the nicest way possible that he needs to see a stylist asap.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's just no reason for a grown man to have this haircut. None. I don't care if you're homeless blind or bald. Arent there people who supposedly care about him because if I was his friend, or even if I just met the guy, I would tell him in the nicest way possible that he needs to see a stylist asap.

Must be refreshing to be a billionaire and not give one shit about how you look or what people think of you.