Clowney...holy hell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
If we didn't already have Robert Quinn, then Fisher might not have passed on him either.

No doubt in mind if he didn't get picked 1st we would have taken him over Robinson and probably traded up for Matthews or Martin

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Makes you wonder, if we had taken Clowney at 2, would Donald still be too good to pass up at 13?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
:fighting: :snicker: :cheers:

2hxa74k.jpg

Man I wish we had Uncle Rico on our team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nice play by Clowney but Blalock looked like he forgot that he was supposed to pull to the left and pick him up at first. There was a clear hesitation there and an "Oh Shit" moment on Blalocks part.

I am sure Clowney will have his moments but that play was not worthy of a 'HOly Hell' IMO.

Now when Quick tossed Chris Culliver aside like a ragdoll, that was worth a Holy Hell. If Clowney jumps over Blalock or knocks Baker on his ass and still makes that play then it is more impressive. A guy going in unblocked........meh.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
And here I thought that once Houston drafted Clowney I'd never have to see his name around here again.

I guess I should have known that was too good to be true.

Last edited:

Debacled

Starter
Sick first step.

Thats part of what makes him such a good prospect. That kind of speed off the edge is rare. He was upfield before half the o-line was out of their stances

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm still with Merril Hodge about Clowney, you can scheme him out to me he's a little bigger Leonard Little who FWIW never cut it at linebacker and ended up having to put his hand in the dirt, don't get me wrong LL was a beast but not #1 overall beastly

Debacled

Starter
I'm still with Merril Hodge about Clowney, you can scheme him out to me he's a little bigger Leonard Little who FWIW never cut it at linebacker and ended up having to put his hand in the dirt, don't get me wrong LL was a beast but not #1 overall beastly

If you have to scheme around a guy to account for him then he is more than worth his weight in salt.

Not like they can ignore the rest of that D especially with Watt to keep an eye on.

Also he is a rookie. There aren't too many rookies out there that any team has to scheme around.

RamWoodie

Legend
Regardless...it's one play with a missed assignment. Much ado about nothing really! The season is coming and the book hasn't even started to be written on Clowney.

The Rams passed on Clowney because they didn't need a DE...HELLO???

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If you have to scheme around a guy to account for him then he is more than worth his weight in salt.

Not like they can ignore the rest of that D especially with Watt to keep an eye on.

Also he is a rookie. There aren't too many rookies out there that any team has to scheme around.
well since salt is about 19 cents a pound I'd say they're over paying him

The scheming comment was meant to convey that he could be fooled because his football IQ wasn't what it should be ,he is an athlete so superior to others he doesn't seem to have learned the game and is going to struggle to play the Willie McGinest role in that defense , Willie wasn't nuthin but smart

paceram

Pro Bowler
No doubt in mind if he didn't get picked 1st we would have taken him over Robinson and probably traded up for Matthews or Martin

As much as I like Robinson (and, I do think he is going to be a Fixture for the Rams OL for many years and an annual All-Pro!) I have a hard time thinking Jeff Fisher would have passed on Clowney. But, I am very, very happy with Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald!!! It will not surprise me at all to see Donald have the better overall career than Cloiwney but Clowney does seem to be a HUMAN HIGHLIGHT REEL!

Debacled

Starter
well since salt is about 19 cents a pound I'd say they're over paying him

The scheming comment was meant to convey that he could be fooled because his football IQ wasn't what it should be ,he is an athlete so superior to others he doesn't seem to have learned the game and is going to struggle to play the Willie McGinest role in that defense , Willie wasn't nuthin but smart

Thats the same knock Julius Peppers has been getting for years. I'd say he would have been worth a #1 overall at this point in his career.

I will say I do think Clowney would be MUCH better with his hand in the dirt rather than a stand up LB. Would simplify the game more for him and he would be more familiar with it. He is going to have growing pains, as most rookies do.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm glad we chose Robinson, and I would have chosen him over Clowney even if he was available. Donald may even prove to be more valuable. It's funny how people talk about these unblockable D players who change the game, but then don't mind blocking that superman with a 4th rd scrub because "I don't draft OL players other than LT high round. You can find them anywhere." As important as it is to have those disruptive players, it's even more important to have guys who can block them. IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless...it's one play with a missed assignment. Much ado about nothing really! The season is coming and the book hasn't even started to be written on Clowney.

The Rams passed on Clowney because they didn't need a DE...HELLO???

how can a team pass on a player chosen before their pick? if he was there fisher takes him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice play by Clowney but Blalock looked like he forgot that he was supposed to pull to the left and pick him up at first. There was a clear hesitation there and an "Oh crap" moment on Blalocks part.

I am sure Clowney will have his moments but that play was not worthy of a 'HOly Hell' IMO.

Now when Quick tossed Chris Culliver aside like a ragdoll, that was worth a Holy Hell. If Clowney jumps over Blalock or knocks Baker on his ass and still makes that play then it is more impressive. A guy going in unblocked........meh.

his speed is what turned it into an "unblocked" play. that was his most impressive feature coming out.