Chris Long Tweet Today and a Few Comments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Understand that I read ALL the boards, ALL the blogs, and listen to quite a few radio call-in shows. If you took exception to what I said, then I can't do anything about that. It just hit home for you, I guess. And sure I'm being patronizing. That's kind of what I do, and there's nothing I can do about that either. I get just as passionate as the next guy when the team is *winning*, but I don't get nearly as bent out of shape if they're losing. Because, really, what the hell can I do about that? I just remind myself that these are guys who don't know me, couldn't care less what I think, and would likely think I'm completely unqualified to even weigh in on how inept they are, considering they've achieved a level I can only dream of. It would be like me storming into NASA and bitching about the jet propulsion technology they're utilizing.

Sure it puts a damper on my day, but that's about the extent of it. Suggesting we cut players, fire coaches, and call elite athletes all kinds of unsavory names is about as freaking stupid as it gets for me. And that's absolutely a "me problem." I get just as indignant at those who bitch at people who make minimum wage and serve them coffee or bring them food. Get off your high horse, have a big slice of shut the freak up, and remedy whatever inadequacy problem is plaguing your miserable life. Because nobody wants to hear that noise. Do you enjoy it when you see people do that?

Lastly, I'm uniquely qualified to have an opinion on this matter because I built this board SOLELY to escape that kind of bitchassness that pervades the internet. If I wanted to read about how crappy all the players are, how inept all the coaching is, and how I *deserve* more out of the product than I'm receiving, then I could go to any other board out there and get my fill. I spend almost all of my time here because it's supposed to be the one place where that stuff can be contained in one thread and not spill out all over the board itself. When it bleeds into other threads, it's kind of like having your favorite movie interrupted by a State of the Union Address. All day. For a week straight.

No thanks.

Cool, so you are the Horace Greeley of the internet :)

But with all respect you may have built this beautiful shrine to Ram fandom but it is us who occupy it and build it to live up to what you founded it for.

And if you see how we all comment, nobody on here is discussing football in any ther role than as FAN - nobody is claiming to be coaches or at least i haven't seen that anywhere. We all have kept out heads and we are just talking about how horrible this game was and it all had to do with the lack of desire and effort. As Ram fans that all we ask - is you go out and put it on the line, we will be with you heart and soul.

Many EPL fans on this board know how a team like Burnley can have 1/16 the talent of a Liverpool that despite the loss play with such passion and fight that they get that standing ovation at the end of the game. That's all we ask. And as for twitter some of us just wish these guys would shut up and keep their profundity to themselves and their private quarters.

Yeah we all get that it's a game.
But I see many posts, like yours, claiming that say they are not "affected" to the degree some of us others are -- so now it's a matter of degree.
you say above that a loss does in fact put a damper on your day. So a minimal degree of exasperation is considered okay by yourself and others since you have admitted to being somewhat "bummed" about the loss, whereas others may have a little more exasperation than that but are deemed to be "losing their heads." We can fix this though! There is a way for those who just don't mind a bad loss to empathize with those of us that have taken this loss harder than others.

Let's no longer judge each other on some mysterious gauge that measures one's post game fury. So I have just create a post game "Dieter Fury Meter" (trademarked) as my contribution to the future success and happiness of this board

THE DIETER FURY METER
where do you measure up?

Defcon
1 - meh, pass the hummus
2 - that sucks, oh look Columbo is on
3 - okay i can't afford to keep paying for this shite
4 - damn we could have been 2-0
5 - why does Fisher keep grabbing his knees each play?
6 - I know i paid for a full hour but you gotta go
7 - fire everyone and bring back Malivasi
8 - this horse has long ass legs my head is lost in the clouds

I'm at Defcon 5

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I personally Love Chris Long!!
In the first two games of this New season he has been all over the Field disrupting the opponent s game plan, and making Plays!!
And, for what it worth, PFF has him ranked as our 2nd best "D" Player behind Donald! I'll follow Chris's Lead!!
{To me the 3 most disruptive players on the D so far this year are Donald, Ogletree, and Long!} JMHO

fearsomefour

Legend
You can't win if you are a pro athlete and you are tweeting....either you are a pompous d bag who doesn't reply to people or you get sucked in by trolls. Your tweets are either misunderstood or used against you. If I were in that position I would never be on social media.
I love a guy calling a pro athlete....a guy doing something that 99.999% of guys who love and play the game in high school cannot do. And he is a good starter at his position....so, he is operating and working (and getting paid) in the the upper sliver percentile of football players....I love joe six pack calling him a loser. Now that is comedy.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Dieter, I have to say I'm on about a 5.5. The loss to me, was disappointing not just because of the lack of effort and in my opinion, losing to an inferior opponent - one that you 'mocked' last year and shutout on their turf. I'm more upset to what it does to the psyche around here and what it could've meant to be a 2-0 team, and had this city pumped up for a huge game against a great team like the Steelers next week. It could have drawn in some casual fans, increased the excitement level around here, and had a few more dark jersey in the stands next week then the huge amounts of yellow ones. As a fan in STL, and a season ticket holder, it was a big deal to me.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cool, so you are the Horace Greeley of the internet :)

But with all respect you may have built this beautiful shrine to Ram fandom but it is us who occupy it and build it to live up to what you founded it for.

And if you see how we all comment, nobody on here is discussing football in any ther role than as FAN - nobody is claiming to be coaches or at least i haven't seen that anywhere. We all have kept out heads and we are just talking about how horrible this game was and it all had to do with the lack of desire and effort. As Ram fans that all we ask - is you go out and put it on the line, we will be with you heart and soul.

Many EPL fans on this board know how a team like Burnley can have 1/16 the talent of a Liverpool that despite the loss play with such passion and fight that they get that standing ovation at the end of the game. That's all we ask. And as for twitter some of us just wish these guys would shut up and keep their profundity to themselves and their private quarters.

Yeah we all get that it's a game.
But I see many posts, like yours, claiming that say they are not "affected" to the degree some of us others are -- so now it's a matter of degree.
you say above that a loss does in fact put a damper on your day. So a minimal degree of exasperation is considered okay by yourself and others since you have admitted to being somewhat "bummed" about the loss, whereas others may have a little more exasperation than that but are deemed to be "losing their heads." We can fix this though! There is a way for those who just don't mind a bad loss to empathize with those of us that have taken this loss harder than others.

Let's no longer judge each other on some mysterious gauge that measures one's post game fury. So I have just create a post game "Dieter Fury Meter" (trademarked) as my contribution to the future success and happiness of this board

THE DIETER FURY METER
where do you measure up?

Defcon
1 - meh, pass the hummus
2 - that sucks, oh look Columbo is on
3 - okay i can't afford to keep paying for this shite
4 - damn we could have been 2-0
5 - why does Fisher keep grabbing his knees each play?
6 - I know i paid for a full hour but you gotta go
7 - fire everyone and bring back Malivasi
8 - this horse has long ass legs my head is lost in the clouds

I'm at Defcon 5
I appreciate your humor, and I get where you're coming from. Or in proper forum grammar, from where you're coming. No, wait, scratch that. I don't care to know that at all, actually. See, as I said, it's a "me problem." I have little tolerance for melt-downs (both here and in the real world), but I'm not making policy for poster reactions. I only want to reinforce that I wish they could be contained in the one thread for which that kind of reaction is designed. Again, seeing it spill all over the board isn't why this forum was constructed. No matter who's occupying it now, that's just not the reason why it was made. Again, it's a me problem and one of the primary reasons why I don't own or administrate it anymore is because it's becoming too diverse. Good or bad, it's just not what I had in mind, and I don't wanna regulate a thousand personalities.

By the way, your defcon meter is fucked up. Defcon 1 is the most severe threat.
Hummus is disgusting, but it won't cause me to stop shopping.

I think communication in these kinds of situations is key. I may get annoyed at all the doomsday posts, but I'm yet to see anyone who loses their shit over stuff like this explain to me why it's so important to ruin discussion with irrational (and totally unenforceable) calls for heads and jobs. Someone explain it to me. Explain to me why it's so important to have other people achieve things and why it's infuriating when they don't. I explained myself already. It's a game. A game I don't play anymore, and one that brings me joy when it's played well. I like it when the team I follow does well and I can engage in that kind of fan against fan bragadociousness. But if they don't (do well), then whatever. I get upset for an hour or so and move on. But *because* I like my team, its history, its coaches (no matter who they are), and try to get to know its players at the time, I get a little offended when their heart, integrity, or dedication is assaulted. It's an emotional investment for me, but not one that has two sides. I would no more rail on Rams players or coaches anymore than I would rail on my son's little league team if they got waxed by another little league team. Neither that team, nor the Rams, owe me anything other than their effort. And don't tell me they didn't have any effort a few days ago. As Fisher said, it was a loss of gap integrity, coaches not putting them in the best position to succeed, and a matter of shooting themselves in the foot too often. Is that coaching? Maybe. Can I do anything to affect change? Nope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it is funny that you say the players don't owe anything to the fans. They owe their livelihood to the fans and they owe it to the fans to let them know that they care what they think, if they are going to take it upon themselves to address them. No fans, no team, no job, no money, no cheers. If a player chooses to address the fans the message shouldnt be, 'calm down'. It should instill hope or should reflect the disappointment.

No, they don't. They owe their livelihood to the Rams organization and the NFL.

As I said before, I spend money at Publix. That doesn't mean the Publix employees owe their livelihood to me. Businesses are supported by customers. But people don't have this entitlement in other areas of business.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I appreciate your humor, and I get where you're coming from. Or in proper forum grammar, from where you're coming. No, wait, scratch that. I don't care to know that at all, actually. See, as I said, it's a "me problem." I have little tolerance for melt-downs (both here and in the real world), but I'm not making policy for poster reactions. I only want to reinforce that I wish they could be contained in the one thread for which that kind of reaction is designed. Again, seeing it spill all over the board isn't why this forum was constructed. No matter who's occupying it now, that's just not the reason why it was made. Again, it's a me problem and one of the primary reasons why I don't own or administrate it anymore is because it's becoming too diverse. Good or bad, it's just not what I had in mind, and I don't wanna regulate a thousand personalities.

By the way, your defcon meter is freaked up. Defcon 1 is the most severe threat.
Hummus is disgusting, but it won't cause me to stop shopping.

I think communication in these kinds of situations is key. I may get annoyed at all the doomsday posts, but I'm yet to see anyone who loses their crap over stuff like this explain to me why it's so important to ruin discussion with irrational (and totally unenforceable) calls for heads and jobs. Someone explain it to me. Explain to me why it's so important to have other people achieve things and why it's infuriating when they don't. I explained myself already. It's a game. A game I don't play anymore, and one that brings me joy when it's played well. I like it when the team I follow does well and I can engage in that kind of fan against fan bragadociousness. But if they don't (do well), then whatever. I get upset for an hour or so and move on. But *because* I like my team, its history, its coaches (no matter who they are), and try to get to know its players at the time, I get a little offended when their heart, integrity, or dedication is assaulted. It's an emotional investment for me, but not one that has two sides. I would no more rail on Rams players or coaches anymore than I would rail on my son's little league team if they got waxed by another little league team. Neither that team, nor the Rams, owe me anything other than their effort. And don't tell me they didn't have any effort a few days ago. As Fisher said, it was a loss of gap integrity, coaches not putting them in the best position to succeed, and a matter of shooting themselves in the foot too often. Is that coaching? Maybe. Can I do anything to affect change? Nope.

No need to get frustrated over frustrated people though

You can't go into their minds like a NASA control room either

So I think it shouldn't matter to you anymore than the game doesn't affect your life -- otherwise it's just a but of calling the kettle black or in the case blue and gold

* And hummus isn't a football food, hence those at level 1 (switched from defcon, you're right! need to watch War Games again) who don't care about the outcome of the game would eat such a thing

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So I think it shouldn't matter to you anymore than the game doesn't affect your life -- otherwise it's just a but of calling the kettle black or in the case blue and gold
So just so I have this straight...

You have a problem with me having a problem with people having problems?

That's the problem?

Even Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting couldn't solve that one.

I think ima just do me, and everyone else can keep doing them. If we clash, we clash.

bskrilla

Starter
We are fine, guys. 1-1 isn't a bad place to be. It's not ideal, but it's not terrible at all. The 2014 Seahawks started 1-1. The 2012 Ravens started 1-1. The 2011 Giants started out 1-1. Worked out well enough for those teams. It's not over. I just don't get why everyone is freaking out. Sure, it's a bad loss. They happen. We will overcome it. There's a reason why it's very rare teams go undefeated, because losses happen to all teams, it's how we overcome that loss that's the real test.

With their loss being a two TD loss to a terrible Redskins team. Sound familial? lol

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

That's the problem?

I think ima just do me, and everyone else can keep doing them. If we clash, we clash.

it's not your fault

good-will-hunting-1997-xvid-dts-cd3-waf-avi_001529070.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No, they don't. They owe their livelihood to the Rams organization and the NFL.

As I said before, I spend money at Publix. That doesn't mean the Publix employees owe their livelihood to me. Businesses are supported by customers. But people don't have this entitlement in other areas of business.

You are wrong. This is not normal business. This is entertainment. This is not a staple of life. If a player does something egregious and the team cuts that player why do they do it? Because they want to appease the fans. The NFL is worried about image because they don't want the fans to go away. No fans, no money.

Athos

Legend

That's the problem?

As long as we aren't doing ourselves in public or doing ourselves and then sharing about said dalliance, we cool.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It drives me crazy when fans blast the players thru social media. I have no problem with criticism- it's warranted. But don't be a keyboard tough guy.

These players want it more than we fans do. They put in long long hours, they put their bodies thru hell - and we are finding that they often suffer both physically and emotionally for the rest of their lives as a result. I can't imagine - even if I was a millionaire because of it - going thru the kind of work that these guys go thru only to have some punk on twitter tell me that I am complacent and I'm not trying hard enough.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Chris Long may be saying to calm down but that doesn't tell us that he has any answer for what happened and it sounds a bit like he is not too concerned that most of he team played like crap.

Just like this forum reminds us whenever we go to write something down, Chris Long needs to think before he posts.[/QUOTE]

I remember several years ago we went to England and got beat by the cheatreots 45 to 7 or something like that. when asked about the but kicking fisher said that game is behind us were moving on to next week. one time I would like to see the players say that performance was totally unacceptable we will work our asses off next week and fix our mistake. and have the coaching staff say totally unacceptable and if it happens again even if we have bring practice squad players up it will mean buts on the bench

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So if I have this straight - Chris Long doesn't care because he made those statements. He doesn't hate losing. He's fine with mediocrity because he doesn't want the fans to buy that what they saw against Washington is what they can expect from here on out. Got it.

Sorry but I'm going to guess the players are plenty pissed and that includes CL.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
So if I have this straight - Chris Long doesn't care because he made those statements. He doesn't hate losing. He's fine with mediocrity because he doesn't want the fans to buy that what they saw against Washington is what they can expect from here on out. Got it.
I wouldn't say he doesn't care, obviously he does. None of them go out there to lose.

But to try to dictate what the fans feel after another sloppy effort that has all the telltale signs of our inconsistency woes leaves a sour taste in mine, and I assume plenty of other's mouths. I also don't like him rushing to bring up the past as if it means anything, beating up on the Seahawks means nothing, they've done it before and it didn't stop them from putting lackluster effort in the rest of the season to go to such heights as 7-9. The past is the past, if getting your ass kicked by the Skins doesn't matter, then neither does beating Seattle. Get into gear and beat the Steelers and prove to us you're not pretenders.

I think what most people are saying is you have to earn the right to dismiss this, they have not because as we've learned from them before, this very well could be precedence for even more disappointment. You have to earn the right to say it's just one game, because with the Rams so far it's never just been ONE game, it's been years worth of games and people's concerns are valid until you've PROVEN they're pointless.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That would be like saying that just because some of us don't lose our shit over a loss like this last Sunday that we should still want to hang out in our favorite bar and listen to a bunch of bitching and moaning and talk of firing that guy and cut this guy. Sounds like a fun place to hang.

Speaking for myself, I understand what you are saying but this place has always been somewhat of a bastion from the sky is falling, SOSAR spouting, I give up crowd. It's not that I care less or am less tied to the team. I just don't let the team losing make me go on rants and be that guy that I wouldn't want to be having a beer with. Well at least I HOPE I'm not that guy. I'm having a beer with me right now. :D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You have to earn the right to say it's just one game,
Yeah - I don't think he does. He may to you but not to me. I hope he believes it himself. But to go on and lay into him as the posters did in response - to me is silly. Wagging their fingers at him as if lecturing him on what it takes to win. Please.

I've seen the likes of Deacon and Youngblood crack jokes with reporters after a bad loss. I remember people bitching about that then. I had no thoughts that the loss didn't mean anything to them or that they thought it was acceptable. Though CL hasn't become the HOFer that we would all like to see, I don't for a second think his comments mean he is not a hard core competitor.