Chris Long Tweet Today and a Few Comments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Chris long tweeted this today:

I know everyone here is down but I'm not going to forget the fact that we beat Seattle just a week ago. It's a long season.
Looking forward to a hard fought game next Sunday. (Now three posts from Ram fans:)

Atlantic Ram
September 21, 2015 03:31PM
The Redskins without all of the 1st round picks just beat the snot out of the team that has high picks all over the team.

How can it be? Who would be responsible for that?

Perhaps it's not "the Rams are a QB away" or "the Rams are an OL away". Maybe they are a coach away. Like the niners with Singletary. They were loaded with talent and all they really needed was a real HC... Even a weenie like Hairball got them turned around immediately.

70sramsfan
September 21, 2015 07:32PM

Really, Chris? Really?!?!

A long time ago, I read an article about Tom Seaver in his heyday. The author wrote how Seaver would always be unhappy with a performance, even if he had just pitched a great game. He might have thrown a shutout and struck out 10, but it would be the 2 walks he issued that he would be talking about. Most other pitchers would have been thrilled with his typical game, but Seaver strove for perfection. Might have had something to do with how great he became.

Now, one of the "leaders" of this team basically says, "Hey, forget we sucked yesterday, got our rear-ends HANDED to us and looked completely inept, what about what we did the week before?". Really?!?! Here's what that says to me, Chris- you're perfectly cool with mediocrity. You're a 7-9. 8-8, 9-7 kind of guy. Playing "pretty good" is more than enough. If so, please pack your bags, because you are a loser. A warrior, a Chris Spielman or a Steve Young or a Junior Seau or a Jerome Bettis would be apologizing to the fan base for that debacle, but not you. Jack Youngblood or Hacksaw Reynolds would have stuffed you in a locker for your "what's the big deal" attitude for that crap yesterday, but hey, as long as the paycheck arrives on time, right?

If your "leadership" is what the Rams buy into, no wonder this team is what it is.

One other poster :

There are people who predict doom at the slightest provocation, guys who will anticipate the Rams sucking until they prove otherwise. That's more about personality about analysis or discernment. Ditto in re the relentlessly positive fans who, equally reflexively, fan the slightest glimmer of hope into a flame and predict a turnaround every year. I admit enjoying the company of those people more but acknowledge that some from this group are no more discerning that the many on the first group.
Predicting tails every time on a coin flip because you're a "tails" kinda guy - and having it come up tails 10 times in a row - doesn't make you a stud predictor of coin flips going forward. Not a perfect analogy, I know. Unlike w/fair coins, he best predictor of an NFL team's record one year is their record the year before. Still, there's something to the analogy.
To be clear, I'm not protesting "negativity"; I'm protesting reflexive doom-and-gloom (and, to a lesser degree, its opposite.) People like Laram and PaulB don't expect much from this year's team in terms of wins, but they're thoughtful about it. That's not negative-nelliness, in my book.
I'll say it again: if the Rams can pair their talent with Game 1 effort much more often than not, they can win 10 or 11 games. A reasonable person can disagree, but that statement seems uncontroversial to me - as in, it's perfectly plausible. The fact that the Rams came out flat against the Skins is discouraging, but it does NOT mean they're going to come out flat half the time or even a quarter of the time. We'll see.

ME: Three different but thought provoking views. GO RAMS NO INJURIES!!!

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I feel like as fans we get too high at a win and way too low at a loss. What he said is correct it is a long season. I been with this team through it all we all have 1 bad game This year doesn't make or break the season.

Athos

Legend
I'm not a fan of chest beating past performances with this team anymore.

You beat the Hags?

So what? That was last week. Go out an win two games in a row.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is disconcerting to see him still talking about the Seahawks after getting trampled by the Redskins. We won't play them every week Chris. We need yall to win outside of the division.

Yeah I feel like as fans we get too high at a win and way too low at a loss. What he said is correct it is a long season. I been with this team through it all we all have 1 bad game This year doesn't make or break the season.

This is my thought exactly. I love to come on here after a win to hear everyone being optimistic about us, but when we lose one game its like all hell breaks lose and the apocalypse is upon us. And I know some of you are frustrated because the rams have done this year to year, but you have to understand this offense has many rookie offensive linemen, a new QB, a new defensive starter, and another rookie likely coming in next week. Once this team has time to gel, I think we will be able to put up performances like we did against Seattle consistently.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think what makes yesterday's game so frustrating for fans is that we've seen it so many times before. People even talked about it during the week. They need to show they're not that inconsistent team we've been watching the last few years. They need to show they're ready to turn that proverbial corner.
But they went out and laid an egg for the umpteenth time. So naturally they assume is the same ole same ole. The fans urged their team to not let this be another fiasco like so many times before. We got an impressive win over a superbowl team and now we got a beatable opponent.

They respond to all that by coming out flat, uninspired and frankly, uninterested judging by the tweet Long put out. I think 70sramsfan has a good point. I would rather Long be pissed at the poor effort rather than say "but we won the first game". Thats what the kid who doesn't take the game seriously on a losing peewee league team would say.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I was pretty much over the loss and was ready for week 3 but Chris Long's comments were totally ridiculous and infuriated me - but I kept that on the rant thread

…..

Legend
Sure would be nice if we had some players that didn't glamorize Seattle or any other team.

Beat Seattle? Big fukn deal. Get to work.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
These guys are starting to annoy me the more they talk and not prove anything. We've heard it all before. Nothing has changed and it's the beginning of year 4. Sorry but start talking when you even can have a winning record or win more than two games in a row. Coming out and beating the Steelers in front of the home crowd would be a start.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I have no problem with what Long said. Maybe the delivery isn't ideal, but I think I get what he's trying to say.

Does anyone want Foles coming out going, 'well I had that shitty drive in the 4th where I couldn't get a 1st down and keep momentum. Pretty broke up about it and I'll be trying to get over it all week.'

Seems to be that people are upset Long isn't moping about a loss. To me it seems he wants to focus on what this team has and can do, rather than how they failed.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm not a fan of chest beating past performances with this team anymore.

You beat the Hags?

So what? That was last week. Go out an win two games in a row.

I agree with this. They've had enough passes. We've had enough patience. This team CAN compete. That's what we saw with the Seattle game and with a ton of other games for the last 3 years so there is no excuse for being so poor the next week. Sure you're not going to go 16-0. We expect some tough losses on the road. But they've got to be better than yesterday - and its happened all too often. We must start putting together back to back wins.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Long's right in his own way. We've got at least fourteen games left. Time to move on from this loss, come out firing the next week, be positive. We still control our destiny. So let's take the bull by the horns and yank it the fuck down! GO RAMS!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is disconcerting to see him still talking about the Seahawks after getting trampled by the Redskins. We won't play them every week Chris. We need yall to win outside of the division.

He's telling people to chill out with the doom and gloom. We're 1-1 not 0-10.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not talking about the people in the OP, or anyone here, but if I ever get to the point that I have to lose my ever-loving mind, and have my world come crashing down around me after my favorite team tosses a clunker, then I really need to find something else to do with my time. That's far too much power other people have over my life in that case.

Did they try? Good enough for me.
Did they lose? Well, that sucks. Get after it next time.
Did they win? Awesome. Now I can see/hear some positive stuff for a week.

It's a fuckin' game. No offense to anyone, but that's really all it is.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'm sorry but we aren't asshole Philly fans who'v had back to back winning seasons yet constantly bitch or are some other snobby franchise. this is literally the worst franchise of the past decade and everybody knows the Rams have enough talent to actually make a push and we get this same lame ass excuse year after year partially cus of QB play. we crushed the skins last year with a backup QB. Who honestly in that game was more accurate than Nick Foles was yesterday even without pressure. But back on topic no team deserves respect if year in and year out they beat some of the best teams in the league but constantly shit a brick on the games that should be a layup. the fans have every damn right to be pissed off at this point with players and coaches. i was hoping Long would've given a more leadership like tweet. taking partial blame for horrible run D just own up and tell us the team will work harder not say "well guys we beat so and so last week so its ok.." bullshit sorry and i love Chris Long but i obviously aint happy with him or the rest. I was at that game and listen to the jeers and laughter and had that shit rubbed in my face cus for once i stood up and had confidence that shit was being pulled together but i was wrong, I'm 10 minutes from the Skins training facility and the GM's wife workouts at the gym a train at. I got to spend my monday having my fuckin redskins boss, who got free tickets from the GM's wife, trash talk and shit all over me all day at work. so I'm coming here to blow of serious steam and say that tweet is utter bullshit. apology not excepted right now Chris, when tho you never even actually offered an apology. if it was me i would've nutted up and tweeted one apology

(quick note- 14 years without a 2-0 start, 14...)

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
It doesn't bother me what Long says. He's a pro and a good player. I know he's going to show up and play his heart out in every game.

The not enough talent excuse is starting to bother me a little though. Four years into it and that's not a legit reason anymore as far as I'm concerned. If there isn't enough talent then who's fault is that?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We are fine, guys. 1-1 isn't a bad place to be. It's not ideal, but it's not terrible at all. The 2014 Seahawks started 1-1. The 2012 Ravens started 1-1. The 2011 Giants started out 1-1. Worked out well enough for those teams. It's not over. I just don't get why everyone is freaking out. Sure, it's a bad loss. They happen. We will overcome it. There's a reason why it's very rare teams go undefeated, because losses happen to all teams, it's how we overcome that loss that's the real test.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's telling people to chill out with the doom and gloom. We're 1-1 not 0-10.
I can see that. It's just a very similar feeling to start a season. Wouldn't you say?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not talking about the people in the OP, or anyone here, but if I ever get to the point that I have to lose my ever-loving mind, and have my world come crashing down around me after my favorite team tosses a clunker, then I really need to find something else to do with my time. That's far too much power other people have over my life in that case.

Did they try? Good enough for me.
Did they lose? Well, that sucks. Get after it next time.
Did they win? Awesome. Now I can see/hear some positive stuff for a week.

It's a freakin' game. No offense to anyone, but that's really all it is.
To play devil's advocate here, a lot of people like me work full time and do something on the side (I'm a full time trash student). Sunday's and the Rams are literally my release from a long week of being an adult lol. Is it a game? Yes. But it's also an escape for some people and it feels like you're literally on the field with them. I'm completely fine after being in the shitter yesterday from it but I can completely relate to fans who spend money on their teams and get disinterested efforts. I'm still agreeing with you for the record.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm not sure how you can downplay a loss like this. This Washington game was a litmus test for us to prove we've turned the corner. Perhaps personnel wise we have, but we live and die by the game plan, and sometimes our coaching staff just tosses out clunkers. I can't keep giving this team any throw away games. Our schedule is too tough to lose to a team like the Redskins while we have the whole NFC west and AFC north to contend with this year. Our only saving grace might be the injuries that are going out to other teams at the moment. And no, I'm not cheering these injuries. Just pointing out that down the stretch the injuries might have cost them too many games.