Chiefs cut Maclin/Signs with Ravens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I'd be happy to see him in horns, but truth be told I'm comfortable with what we have right now. I was honestly looking forward to seeing what we have. If Maclin joins, it puts a monkey wrench in seeing who can contribute. Regardless, I'd welcome him with open arms.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
you're right.... picking up Maclin would make total sense, but it's not happening unless we could move Tavon...and trading Tavon for a draft pick is simply not going to happen.

Unless Tavon really explodes this year we need to cut him after the season and move on

How are you so what management thinks they can and can't do? Trading Tavon for a pick is the only answer to Maclin? I doubt it.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
What people don't get about the salary cap and the position we are in with it right now is just mind boggling. Seriously.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
How are you so what management thinks they can and can't do? Trading Tavon for a pick is the only answer to Maclin? I doubt it.

it doesn't take a genius to know that we don't have cap space right now.....nor to see that although we may not have an established #1 WR...we have a few WRs that we've invested in the last 2 drafts, as well as a free agent signing from this offseason.

if you want to add Maclin...that's great..but you'd have to pay him....and you probably want to keep a couple of the guys you've obtained over the past 2 seasons who have upside, and aren't costing you much money....

cutting Tavon now would hurt us cap-wise...... cutting him next year won't so much..... but if you wanted to move on from Tavon now and not hurt your cap, the only way to do that would be to trade him for a future draft pick now. That would be great, but the team you trade him to would have to be able to absorb his salary for this year....which is less likely....

Maclin would be a nice pick up...but folks who want him should remember he gets hurt a bunch and hasn't been able to sustain success for long stretches during his career.

as far as Tavon, if he has a solid year...great...but to me he's not a #1 WR, and he's being paid like one. If we could move on with Woods, Maclin and Reynolds as outside guys...... Kupp, Cooper and Spruce as slot guys .... Everett and Higbee as TEs.... If there was a way for us to make that happen and gain some cap space but trading Tavon for a 3rd or 4th round pick....that would be great..... but doing something like that is difficult because we have overpaid Tavon so much...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This guy wont settle for less. He is a vet, yes if we didnt have Tavon then ofcourse you sign him, but that isnt the case. I think we are ok with the WR corps right now.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
This guy wont settle for less. He is a vet, yes if we didnt have Tavon then of course you sign him, but that isnt the case. I think we are ok with the WR corps right now.

I concur SteezyE... From now until the preseason ends, It seems like these type of posts are going to be brought up every-time a decent Veteran WR is cut from a team.

I understand why though when you look at the stats of the current WR's & TE's on the Rams roster.

This Entire Unit as a Group doesn't scare anybody when you add up their combined 2016 NFL Stats.

Obviously some of these pass catchers are rookies and some of them are only in their 2nd year as pro's....but it is what it is until they add some stats to their 2017 resumes.

All of us are hoping/expecting that a few of these guys can blow up the league in 2017

thumb-350-28625.jpg

Rams 2016 WR's NFL Stats

Robert Woods
Rec
51 Yards 613 YPC 12.0 TD 1

Tavon Austin
Rec
58 Yards 509 YPC 8.8 TD 3

Pharoh Cooper
Rec
14 Yards 106 YPC 7.6 TD 0

Mike Thomas
Rec
03 Yards 37 YPC 12.3 TD 0

Bradley Marquez
Rec

Paul McRoberts
Rec
01 Yards 6 YPC 6.0 TD 0

Cooper Kupp
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Josh Reynolds
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Nelson Spruce
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Marquez North
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Shakeir Ryan
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Brandon Shippen
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Rams 2016 TE's NFL Stats

Tyler Higbee
Rec
11 Yards 85 YPC 7.7 TD 1

Gerald Everett
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 00 TD 0

Tamarrick Hemingway
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 00 TD 0

Cory Harkey
Rec 00 Yards 00 YPC 00 TD 0

Travis Wilson

Johnny Mundt

I have hope a few of these unknowns will catch on
& put up some decent numbers in 2017

Wide%20Receiver.jpg

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I concur SteezyE... From now until the preseason ends, It seems like these type of posts are going to be brought up every-time a decent Veteran WR is cut from a team.

I understand why though when you look at the stats of the current WR's & TE's on the Rams roster.

This Entire Unit as a Group doesn't scare anybody when you add up their combined 2016 NFL Stats.

Obviously some of these pass catchers are rookies and some of them are only in their 2nd year as pro's....but it is what it is until they add some stats to their 2017 resumes.

All of us are hoping/expecting that a few of these guys can blow up the league in 2017

thumb-350-28625.jpg

Rams 2016 WR's NFL Stats

Robert Woods
Rec
51 Yards 613 YPC 12.0 TD 1

Tavon Austin
Rec
58 Yards 509 YPC 8.8 TD 3

Pharoh Cooper
Rec
14 Yards 106 YPC 7.6 TD 0

Mike Thomas
Rec

Bradley Marquez
Rec

Paul McRoberts
Rec
01 Yards 6 YPC 6.0 TD 0

Cooper Kupp
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Josh Reynolds
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Nelson Spruce
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Marquez North
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Shakeir Ryan
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Brandon Shippen
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Rams 2016 TE's NFL Stats

Tyler Higbee
Rec
11 Yards 85 YPC 7.7 TD 1

Gerald Everett
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 00 TD 0

Tamarrick Hemingway
Rec
00 Yards 00 YPC 00 TD 0

Cory Harkey

Travis Wilson

Johnny Mundt

I have hope a few of these unknowns will catch on
& put up some decent numbers in 2017

Wide%20Receiver.jpg

Your breakdown is a good example of an inept OC in the past. There is going to be a lot of these guys that might be stashed on our PS. I feel like from here on out these guys will be something. I believe if they went anywhere else they would be properly coached and stars. No need for anyone else from here on out. 2017 is a new era, and we will see what these guys have to offer.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
it doesn't take a genius to know that we don't have cap space right now.....nor to see that although we may not have an established #1 WR...we have a few WRs that we've invested in the last 2 drafts, as well as a free agent signing from this offseason.

if you want to add Maclin...that's great..but you'd have to pay him....and you probably want to keep a couple of the guys you've obtained over the past 2 seasons who have upside, and aren't costing you much money....

cutting Tavon now would hurt us cap-wise...... cutting him next year won't so much..... but if you wanted to move on from Tavon now and not hurt your cap, the only way to do that would be to trade him for a future draft pick now. That would be great, but the team you trade him to would have to be able to absorb his salary for this year....which is less likely....

Maclin would be a nice pick up...but folks who want him should remember he gets hurt a bunch and hasn't been able to sustain success for long stretches during his career.

as far as Tavon, if he has a solid year...great...but to me he's not a #1 WR, and he's being paid like one. If we could move on with Woods, Maclin and Reynolds as outside guys...... Kupp, Cooper and Spruce as slot guys .... Everett and Higbee as TEs.... If there was a way for us to make that happen and gain some cap space but trading Tavon for a 3rd or 4th round pick....that would be great..... but doing something like that is difficult because we have overpaid Tavon so much...

"It doesn't take a genius to know we don't have cap space" ... Agreed, no one is questioning that. The question was, Do you think Tavon Austin is our only hope to free up cap space? I believe you answered: "yes" by your response.

My point, there's multiple ways we can free up space by doing many smaller moves to accumulate his supposed $8-10m.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
"It doesn't take a genius to know we don't have cap space" ... Agreed, no one is questioning that. The question was, Do you think Tavon Austin is our only hope to free up cap space? I believe you answered: "yes" by your response.

My point, there's multiple ways we can free up space by doing many smaller moves to accumulate his supposed $8-10m.

You are correct that there are other ways to free up cap space..

and I think it's a given that the main goal for freeing up cap space would be to make sure Aaron Donald is taken care of..

but again..to free up cap space...

Tru Johnson.... Greg Robinson....Mark Barron...Tavon Austin... those would be the primary candidates in terms of moving them to free up cap space. The least important guy out of that group that you could lose would probably be Greg Robinson...assuming that the O-line depth we have could withstand losing him...and I'm not sure of the cap hit it would be...but he would certainly be a candidate..

if you're going to get Maclin though moving Tavon would make sense because you'd be bringing someone in to replace him... I'd look at it as a trade of Maclin for Tavon, and I'd most definitely take that deal.

but there would be other ways to free up space, you are correct

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

and I think it's a given that the main goal for freeing up cap space would be to make sure Aaron Donald is taken care of..

Tru Johnson.... Greg Robinson....Mark Barron...Tavon Austin... those would be the primary candidates in terms of moving them to free up cap space. The least important guy out of that group that you could lose would probably be Greg Robinson...assuming that the O-line depth we have could withstand losing him...and I'm not sure of the cap hit it would be...but he would certainly be a candidate..

if you're going to get Maclin though moving Tavon would make sense because you'd be bringing someone in to replace him... I'd look at it as a trade of Maclin for Tavon, and I'd most definitely take that deal.

Mark Barron.... No....

Why?...

Are you kidding me?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We don't NEED to move players to free up cap space. There are a few ways for us to free up cap space. The first is extending Trumaine and/or Ogletree and lowering their cap hit this year in the extension. The second is restructuring the contracts of players like Robert Quinn, Andrew Whitworth, and/or Mark Barron. The third would be moving a player (as you discussed). Each of these moves comes with pros and cons. Ultimately, I'd avoid doing it unless we desperately need Maclin.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Austin won't be going anywhere in 2017, but If McVay/Kromer doesn't see Greg Robinson starting at RT this season, his near $7.mil could go a long way toward either Donald or someone like Maclin. They won't be paying GRob $7.mil to be a bench warmer. Cut Westbrooks & Longacre and you have another $2.4mil. to play with. If Maclin is truly on the radar, they can afford him. jmo.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Austin won't be going anywhere in 2017, but If McVay/Kromer doesn't see Greg Robinson starting at RT this season, his near $7.mil could go a long way toward either Donald or someone like Maclin. They won't be paying GRob $7.mil to be a bench warmer. Cut Westbrooks & Longacre and you have another $2.4mil. to play with. If Maclin is truly on the radar, they can afford him. jmo.

I checked both cap sites and Robinson's money is all guaranteed. No savings if cut. All dead money.
https://overthecap.com/player/greg-robinson/2941/

Hard to know how Westbooks and Longacre fit into the Rams plans.

We don't NEED to move players to free up cap space. There are a few ways for us to free up cap space. The first is extending Trumaine and/or Ogletree and lowering their cap hit this year in the extension. The second is restructuring the contracts of players like Robert Quinn, Andrew Whitworth, and/or Mark Barron. The third would be moving a player (as you discussed). Each of these moves comes with pros and cons. Ultimately, I'd avoid doing it unless we desperately need Maclin.

The Rams are getting cap top heavy on defense. Tree counts 8.369 M against the cap which is his entire salary in the last year of contract. A contract extension makes sense. It hard to see Tru getting a big long term deal with Donald's massive contract looming. I agree they could restructure contracts. I don't think Maclin is worth make too many contract changes. They still need a little money for rookies and for in season moves.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Mark Barron.... No....

Why?...

Are you kidding me?

If we were to move either Barron or Tru..... you obviously wouldn't do so unless you have a reasonable replacement for them. It's not just about moving them to save cap space, you'd have to be able to move forward with a solid guy at that position...

I put Tru and Barron both on the list because I'm not sold completely on either guy moving forward at the price tag. I'm not sold on Barron being an inside LB in a 3-4 defense... I'd prefer him moving back to SS so that we can keep Mo Alexander at FS where he was rated as one of the most improved safeties in the league. Barron at inside LB in a 3-4 at his price tag is not optimal in my opinion.

but being that we don't necessarily have another clear cut option to replace him effectively right now.... it's not likely we move on from him....unless Forrest comes out super smoking in training camp...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GRob's entire salary is guaranteed, cutting him would go nowhere other than freeing up a roster spot.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If we were to move either Barron or Tru..... you obviously wouldn't do so unless you have a reasonable replacement for them. It's not just about moving them to save cap space, you'd have to be able to move forward with a solid guy at that position...

I put Tru and Barron both on the list because I'm not sold completely on either guy moving forward at the price tag. I'm not sold on Barron being an inside LB in a 3-4 defense... I'd prefer him moving back to SS so that we can keep Mo Alexander at FS where he was rated as one of the most improved safeties in the league. Barron at inside LB in a 3-4 at his price tag is not optimal in my opinion.

but being that we don't necessarily have another clear cut option to replace him effectively right now.... it's not likely we move on from him....unless Forrest comes out super smoking in training camp...
Agree with those. I'm not sold as Barron as an ilb. Move him back to SS and you improve two positions by allowing Alexander to play FS and Joyner to play slot, then move Tru on and play the next man up on the outside. Would be a huge gamble but something worth considering.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd be happy to see him in horns, but truth be told I'm comfortable with what we have right now. I was honestly looking forward to seeing what we have. If Maclin joins, it puts a monkey wrench in seeing who can contribute. Regardless, I'd welcome him with open arms.
+1

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is not exactly right! Come June 16th, after Mini Camp, they will probably make a decision on weather or not Tru Johnson fits what Wade Phillips wants to do, IF not, the Rams could try to move him, and Cleveland for one, could be interested!!(y);):D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/12/jeremy-maclin-signs-with-ravens/

Jeremy Maclin signs with Ravens
Posted by Josh Alper on June 12, 2017

492291912-e1445196551497.jpg
Getty Images

Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin has picked his next team.

The Ravens announced that Maclin has signed a two-year deal with the team on Monday. Maclin visited Baltimore last week after spending time with the Bills, who got recruiting help from Maclin’s former teammate LeSean McCoy, in the wake of his release from the Chiefs.

The Ravens’ interest in Maclin came as no surprise as the retirement of Steve Smith and latest hip injury for tight end Dennis Pitta had robbed Joe Flacco of two top targets in the passing game from last season. Maclin, who was dropped by the Chiefs in a cost-saving move after two seasons with the club, will no join Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman as the top wideouts in Baltimore.

The Bills’ own search for more receiving help could now lead them to look to their division rivals as the Jets are set to trade or release Eric Decker as they part ways with almost all of the leading veterans from last year’s team.

Ram65

Legend
No dollar amounts have been announced. I read that the Ravens had about 7 million in cap space.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/

I am having trouble guessing how much he got. Macklin turned 29 in May. Older vets but still in his prime. I guess between 9-11 Million for the two years. That's 4.5 Million to 5.5 Million. It could have incentives which makes sense coming off injury season. I think the Rams saving their money was the best move.