Chiefs cut Maclin/Signs with Ravens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wow! I wonder why? That would be a tempting pick up.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Looks like he's at the twilight of his career. Quite the dropoff in production with 536 yards last season vs ~1300 and ~1000 in 2014 and 2015 respectively.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we have to absorb his contract if we pick him up on waivers ? I'd be really tempted if I were mcvay.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Biggest thing anybody needs to answer before they ask or say we should sign any free agents is how much are they going to cost and how are we going to pay them! Right now it looks like we have $1.8 million in free space but that only counts the top 51 salaries. Add in 2 more minimum contracts and it drops down to about $700k. If you want to sign him he's either got to sign for less than that or you have to cut somebody to free up space. Keep in mind we need money during the season too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow! I wonder why? That would be a tempting pick up.
They've got almost as little cap space as we do, his production has been droping and it saves them about $7million in cap space.

TexasRam

Legend
He's going into his 8th year.
Probably has at least 3-4 good years left.

Cut saves chiefs 10million. So it was a cap move.

It always comes down to contract. Be stupid not to kick the tires. He's a proven commodity in the NFL unlike literally any WR we have.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/...jeremy-maclin-save-10-million-against-the-cap
Surprise: Chiefs cut Jeremy Maclin, save $10 million against the cap
by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Jun 2, 2017, 6:35pm CDT TWEET
How’s this for a June surprise: the Kansas City Chiefs are cutting Jeremy Maclin. It’s official.

This is certainly a surprise but talk of cutting Maclin wasn’t unheard of this offseason. He was due a lot of money - $12.4 million against the cap - and had a down year last year so we talked about this. Still, I’m surprised. Take our poll below and tell us how you feel in the comments.

Maclin seemed to know the pressure was on last week when he met with the media. “I got something to prove,” Maclin said. “I struggled a little bit last year with injuries and everything else. I’m healthy and I’m looking forward to getting this thing back on the road.”

The Chiefs now save $10 million in cap space, according to Over The Cap, and will carry $2.4 million in dead money. (We’ll need to confirm those cap numbers because the cap is notoriously confusing)

MNChiefsfan decided months ago when we talked about this that it was an awful idea. Unless Chris Conley takes a big step forward I’m not sure how I feel about this either. The Chiefs offense needs to get more dynamic, not less. And that $10 million in cap savings is great ... if they’re going to use it someplace. There is the chance the Chiefs thought Maclin lost a step which if so that makes more sense. They did make this move after seeing him in six practices the past two weeks.

Maclin had a down year last year with just 536 yards receiving after he was injured and went through some personal problems. His first year with the Chiefs was solid though with over 1,000 yards receiving.

Cutting Jeremy Maclin is an awful idea, writes MNChiefsfan.

The biggest factor here - besides Maclin’s dip in play last year and his cap hit - is the emergence of Tyreek Hill. His play last year at receiver made a move like this possible. He had 593 receiving yards last year but his ceiling is sky high entering year two. I think it’s safe to say Tyreek will be an important part of the offense this year.

I’m not sure if it being post-June 1 came into play here but that’s a notable date in salary cap accounting.

Ram65

Legend
First Rams don't have the money.
Rams have Woods as their veteran for the young guys.
The young guys need to play.

Big surprise. Macklin just turned 29 on May 11th. Still should have a few solid years left. Chiefs save a lot of money so I guess it makes. Rams may need to find some money too.

fearsomefour

Legend
No thanks....
Big drop off.....although the Rams have specialized in 600 yard a year #1 receivers of late.
Too many young guys who need reps and time....too much upside to bring in a vet when there are limited funds.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
To be fair, Alex Smith is his QB. Not exactly known for throwing a ton of yards to anyone.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
For all the people worried about his yardage totals, this was the chiefs. All they did was run the ball. If they had an actual passing offense, he would have been just fine.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
feQ4H-.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He's going into his 8th year.
Probably has at least 3-4 good years left.

Cut saves chiefs 10million. So it was a cap move.

It always comes down to contract. Be stupid not to kick the tires. He's a proven commodity in the NFL unlike literally any WR we have.
I'm just not sure, we do have a lot of New, young, Cheap, Talent on the team. If we where really, really desperate for Talent I'd say yes give him a try. But I don't think we are!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams can move money around and create cap space if they're interested. I'd, at minimum, put a call into his agent and do my due diligence if I were the Rams. Our WRs are young and unproven. Adding another veteran would likely help Goff. Right now, we have Woods and a whole lot of uncertainty. However, adding Maclin would indicate that the Rams don't believe Austin can step up as the #2 WR.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Maclin as a threat outside the hashes? It comes down to a physical and the negotiations w Donald and Johnson to me. Those guys deserve their money, but would they really take less to bring on offensive help? This is a complicated and unlikely move but I, for one, would explore it.

Again, we have unproven talent (Reynolds, Thomas) outside that COULD develop but who the hell knows? Kick those damn tires and see if they blow. If Maclin isn't physically ready to compete, we don't have Dodgers-like unlimited money to gamble on injury risk/high ceiling reward.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kick the tires of the Mac, before you buy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Maclin#2017_season

2015 season
On March 11, 2015, Maclin signed a five–year, $55 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs. He finished the season with a career high 87 catches for 1,088 receiving yards and 8 touchdown catches.

The Chiefs, who had gone 11-5 after winning 10 straight, advanced to the playoffs, where things didn't go as well for Maclin. In a 30-0 shutout of the Houston Texans, Maclin started out slow, but started to get into a rhythm in the 3rd quarter, with 3 catches for 29 yards, before he suffered a high ankle sprain that kept him out for the rest of the game.

Maclin, who many thought wouldn't play at all against the New England Patriots in the divisional round, was listed as active, but he played very limited snaps and was taken out almost entirely after the first half, finishing with 2 catches on 3 targets for 23 yards.

Maclin was ranked as the 93rd best player in the NFL by his fellow players on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016.

2016 season
Maclin started 12 games in 2016, recording career-lows of 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article154154359.html

Maclin’s release, since it came after June 1, clears $10 million in cap room for the Chiefs, who had approximately $3.5 million prior to his release, according to the NFL Players Association.

The Chiefs will also have $2.4 million in dead money this year due to the release of Maclin, and $4.8 million in 2018. The Chiefs will still save a net of $8.6 million on the cap in 2018, which is needed; according to OverTheCap.com, the Chiefs are still over the projected 2018 salary cap of $178 million by approximately $638,000, even with Maclin’s release.

But for the Chiefs, there are other benefits to releasing Maclin now, other than saving approximately $32 million in non-guaranteed cash — including part of a $250,000 workout bonus he won’t receive due to the timing of his release – they owed him from 2017 through 2019.

Maclin, who just turned 29, would figure to find a job fairly easy. He’s looked spry in offseason practices, and has worked consistently with the first-string offense in offseason workouts.

TexasRam

Legend
I have no doubts that Maclin would be a productive WR if we found a way to sign him. He still has a lot of tread on those tires and has pro bowl level years with Nick Foles and Alex Smith as his QB's.

Problem is I don't see how we can pay the guy. We would easily get outbid by a team like the Niners or Browns who both have over $60 million in cap room to blow.

Meanwhile we have Zero cap room, two players holding out for more and all our big contracts tied up in dead money.