Chester Bennington dies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
No sympathy for him. Leaves his six kids without a father. Basically a nice freak you to all his kids and wife who will miss him and wonder why they weren't good enough for him to live.

Do we really know the motivation in this case? Does anyone really believe he hated his kids and wife? I would hope we're not that naive. I've been saying this for some time........when someone who is clinically depressed and in treatment goes off the deep end whether suicide or homicide.........you can pretty well bet its because they are ON or trying to get OFF the overprescribed and forever brain altering drugs known as SSRIs. This is an epidemic that the MSM will not report on because they make so much money from drug company ads.

SSRI aka Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Do we really know the motivation in this case? Does anyone really believe he hated his kids and wife? I would hope we're not that naive. I've been saying this for some time........when someone who is clinically depressed and in treatment goes off the deep end whether suicide or homicide.........you can pretty well bet its because they are ON or trying to get OFF the overprescribed and forever brain altering drugs known as SSRIs. This is an epidemic that the MSM will not report on because they make so much money from drug company ads.

SSRI aka Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors

I Don't think the drugs themselves are the problem, but the fact that the particular drug prescribed isn't doing something it does for most people.

Both the drugs I've been prescribed were very helpful. I have a family member with bipolar who was originally diagnosed with depression and almost killed herself on depression meds. But that was because of a misdiagnoses, not the fault of the drug.

And yes, there's great risk in coming off of behavioral health drugs. That's why it should be closely monitored and if you fail to come off them properly too many times, they recommend starting on them for life.

Please don't make drugs that help tens or hundreds of thousands of people out to be evil because a person hot the prescription wrong.

That's just as bad as saying veterans with PTSD (lots of my friends) or anyone with a mental disorder just needs to toughen up. It's not helping and it is harming.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I Don't think the drugs themselves are the problem, but the fact that the particular drug prescribed isn't doing something it does for most people.

Both the drugs I've been prescribed were very helpful. I have a family member with bipolar who was originally diagnosed with depression and almost killed herself on depression meds. But that was because of a misdiagnoses, not the fault of the drug.

And yes, there's great risk in coming off of behavioral health drugs. That's why it should be closely monitored and if you fail to come off them properly too many times, they recommend starting on them for life.

Please don't make drugs that help tens or hundreds of thousands of people out to be evil because a person hot the prescription wrong.

That's just as bad as saying veterans with PTSD (lots of my friends) or anyone with a mental disorder just needs to toughen up. It's not helping and it is harming.
SSRIs do seem to help some people. Seem. Particularly in the beginning. There hasn't been long term studies to determine efficacy. What is known is that in some people (according to the drug companies a very very small number) they can remove ones self control allowing one to act on whatever impulse they have, frequently one of aggression as well as suicidal and homicidal. While it purportedly affects a very small number of people in this manner given the huge number of people on these drugs the occurrences are very common.

I don't know what you mean by the "person got the prescription wrong" since it is a by prescription only drug. Misdiagnosis is unfortunately all too common but I'm referring to those people accurately diagnosed and placed on SSRIs for on label use. I'd be willing to bet much of the inexplicable horror we see in the news on a daily basis is a result of SSRIs.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
SSRIs do seem to help some people. Seem. Particularly in the beginning. There hasn't been long term studies to determine efficacy. What is known is that in some people (according to the drug companies a very very small number) they can remove ones self control allowing one to act on whatever impulse they have, frequently one of aggression as well as suicidal and homicidal. While it purportedly affects a very small number of people in this manner given the huge number of people on these drugs the occurrences are very common.

I don't know what you mean by the "person got the prescription wrong" since it is a by prescription only drug. Misdiagnosis is unfortunately all too common but I'm referring to those people accurately diagnosed and placed on SSRIs for on label use. I'd be willing to bet much of the inexplicable horror we see in the news on a daily basis is a result of SSRIs.

But every SSRI won't affect every person with the condition that it's for the same. So they get a prescription the doctor thinks will work. It's by prescription but that doesn't mean it's right for them. No one is actually doing brain chemical studies on people while they're alive and depressed to determine what they should actually be on. Of course, they're not doing this while they're doing the studies either.

Also, I'm not sure how concerned I can be that homicidal/suicidal people may be homicidal/suicidal when on medications. That was pretty much their (myself included, although I'm not homicidal) starting state anyway. To act like it's some kind of horrendous failure of the healthcare system that the medications may have a side effect of making people who might hurt someone into people who might hurt someone is a little overreactionary to me personally. Obviously you can be upset about whatever you'd like to be upset about.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The UK show "Panorama" just aired an episode about SSRIs titled "A Prescription For Murder". This will never air in the US and will likely be removed from Youtube soon.

View: https://youtu.be/InTukPOs_JE

Not trying to discount the larger point but Holmes had been talking about killing people for years before he was on anything. He had toys in the attic. He was a mass murderer waiting to happen and the guy in the vid claiming he wouldn't have done it if it were not for his meds is ignoring history. Holmes was going to kill regardless.

Holmes saw social worker Margaret Roth once before she sent him to psychiatrist Lynne Fenton.[25] Holmes was depressed and "obsessed with killing for over a decade".[26]

In October 2011, Holmes began dating a fellow student in his biology class, Gargi Datta.[36] Their relationship lasted for about two months and ended when she felt distant from him following an encounter between Holmes and another man who talked to her during a date on Saint Patrick's Day. According to her, Holmes often made flat jokes that made other people feel uncomfortable and expressed his desire to kill people.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
BNW - have you ever listened to Linkin Park?

I'm not saying this is a thread hijack but it's getting there....

bnw

Pro Bowler
BNW - have you ever listened to Linkin Park?

I'm not saying this is a thread hijack but it's getting there....
If they got play on the radio then I'm sure I have though I cannot name a song. This thread has been around for 8 days now and is discussing treatment of depression so no I wouldn't say the thread is in the process of being hijacked.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Not trying to discount the larger point but Holmes had been talking about killing people for years before he was on anything. He had toys in the attic. He was a mass murderer waiting to happen and the guy in the vid claiming he wouldn't have done it if it were not for his meds is ignoring history. Holmes was going to kill regardless.

Holmes saw social worker Margaret Roth once before she sent him to psychiatrist Lynne Fenton.[25] Holmes was depressed and "obsessed with killing for over a decade".[26]

In October 2011, Holmes began dating a fellow student in his biology class, Gargi Datta.[36] Their relationship lasted for about two months and ended when she felt distant from him following an encounter between Holmes and another man who talked to her during a date on Saint Patrick's Day. According to her, Holmes often made flat jokes that made other people feel uncomfortable and expressed his desire to kill people.
I have yet to watch it. Since I was told about it and had just posted about SSRIs I thought it might be of interest. I'm getting ready to watch it now.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one that haunts me is Robin Williams killing himself. I used to watch his comic genius as he would riff through a totally original comedy act. When he and another comic genius Jonathon Winters would interact, it was breathtakingly funny and genius. I also felt the sadness behind the humor which made me love his humanity..

Then he hung himself.

I know there were chemical imbalances and encroaching disease with him, but I am still not over it. Why didn't he tell someone what he was thinking? This I know, when someone is truly serious about committing suicide, they don't tell anyone as a cry for help, often..they just do it.

bnw

Pro Bowler
The one that haunts me is Robin Williams killing himself. I used to watch his comic genius as he would riff through a totally original comedy act. When he and another comic genius Jonathon Winters would interact, it was breathtakingly funny and genius. I also felt the sadness behind the humor which made me love his humanity..

Then he hung himself.

I know there were chemical imbalances and encroaching disease with him, but I am still not over it. Why didn't he tell someone what he was thinking? This I know, when someone is truly serious about committing suicide, they don't tell anyone as a cry for help, often..they just do it.
Winters and Williams playing off each other was very funny. I remember it being G rated which made it even better. We can't forget that these people are not themselves when doing SSRIs (assuming that was what was Williams taking) and report that they are watching their body from somewhere else while not being in control.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This I know, when someone is truly serious about committing suicide, they don't tell anyone as a cry for help, often..they just do it.

You are 100% correct.

When my friend did it nobody saw it coming and he had planned it for a while. I know because I found a secret file on his computer that I had taken home. It was pretty well hidden but "findable". The file name was S for obvious reasons. It was in a file that was in a file and so on. It took a couple of days of digging before I found it.

There was a lot and I mean A LOT of stuff in it and a bunch of it was chilling. There was, and maybe still is a site that advises and guides you on how not to tip people off. One of the biggest tip offs is giving away personal items to friends and I had no idea that was true or was a hint. He didn't do that. Another was to tell people you would be going out of town in order to avoid someone coming over unannounced and saving you in case you decided to use drugs to do the deed. And he did that. It also advised that the best way to do it is by hanging yourself, which is what he did.

There was another site where people left their "suicide note". I read through it going back a few days before he did it to see if he had left something but he didn't. Which was advice from another site that said a letter will make people feel guilty so not to leave one.

This is just an opinion but I think he was conflicted and hated himself because of his his sexuality and had some not insurmountable tax issues. Nothing to die for that's for damn sure and if he had talked to any of us we would have just hugged him and said "lets go play 9", we used to have regular "golf emergencies" which meant "drop what you are doing and meet me at the course".

I have thought about him every now and then because his nickname is a word you hear in real life sometimes. I wonder in today's society if he would have been less worried about the things that I think drove him to end an otherwise pretty good life.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When my friend did it nobody saw it coming and he had planned it for a while. I know because I found a secret file on his computer that I took home. It was pretty well hidden but "findable". The file name was S for obvious reasons. It was in a file that was in a file and so on. It took a couple of days of digging before I found it.

There was a lot and I mean A LOT of stuff in it and a bunch of it was chilling. There was, and maybe still is a site that advises and guides you on how not to tip people off. One of the biggest tip offs is giving away personal items to friends and I had no idea that was true or was a hint. He didn't do that. Another was to tell people you would be going out of town in order to avoid someone coming over unannounced and saving you in case you decided to use drugs to do the deed. It also advised that the best way to do it is by hanging yourself, which is what he did.

There was another site where people left their "suicide note". I read through it to see if he had left something but he didn't. Which was advice from another site that said a letter will make people feel guilty so not to leave one.

This is just an opinion bted about his sexuality and had some not insurmountable tax issues. Nothing to die for that's for damn sure and if he had talked to us we would have just hugged him and said "lets go play 9", we used to have regular "golf emergencies" which meant "drop what you are doing and meet me at the course".

I have thought about him every now and then because his nickname is a word you hear in real life sometimes. I wonder in todays society if he would have been less worried about

Yeah...I knew about the giving away things, tell. Another is that after being visibly depressed and hopeless, some seem totally calm and almost happy just before the event. Mostly because the decision to do it has been made and a weight has been lifted about all worries because the end is near.

I'm sorry about your friend. When someone commits suicide in a house with a gun it pizzes me right the fukk off, which it sounds like your friend did not do. It seems to be the heigth of selfishness when a suicidal person splatters their blood and brains over a room because they "couldn't take it anymore". So now loved ones not only have to face the facts/questions about all of the "whys." They now have to cleanse the gore from the house, because the cops don't do it as far as I know. So selfish.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah...I knew about the giving away things, tell. Another is that after being visibly depressed and hopeless, some seem totally calm and almost happy just before the event. Mostly because the decision to do it has been made and a weight has been lifted about all worries because the end is near.

I'm sorry about your friend. When someone commits suicide in a house with a gun it pizzes me right the fukk off, which it sounds like your friend did not do. It seems to be the heigth of selfishness when a suicidal person splatters their blood and brains over a room because they "couldn't take it anymore". So now loved ones not only have to face the facts/questions about all of the "whys." They now have to cleanse the gore from the house, because the cops don't do it as far as I know. So selfish.

My ex worked at a company with hundreds of people and one woman there had her asshole husband do it right in front of her. They were down in the basement watching TV and he got her attention so she would look at him and pulled out a gun and blew his brains out. I cannot imagine living with that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My ex worked at a company with hundreds of people and one woman there had her icehole husband do it right in front of her. They were down in the basement watching TV and he got her attention so she would look at him and pulled out a gun and blew his brains out. I cannot imagine living with that.

What an utter piece of cr@p that dude was. I hope he is burning for that right now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What an utter piece of cr@p that dude was. I hope he is burning for that right now.

She had a terrible time for over two years according to what I heard. Everyone was very supportive which helped but she was in a shell for months. I think she finally sold the house and moved.

It was a horrible thing to do.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Those drugs are not to be screwed with. They are intensely strong.
My ex wife had PTSD. She could function on Prozac but hated the lethargic feeling it gave her. It took the drive out of her.
They swithched her over to welbutrin. That threw her moods in the complete opposite direction. She became violent and even more depressed. Mix in a couple alcoholic beverages and it appeared as if she was a person with no soul. Scarry as hell.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Speaking as someone who has attempted suicide more than once, I don't want to condemn Chester Bennington. He was obviously in a bad place, and when you're suicidal, you don't think of anyone else. In fact, you think that people will be better off without you.

Those were some of my thoughts when I purposely fell off a bridge. The strange thing was that I was going to fall off a highway bridge...but decided otherwise because I didn't want others to be hurt. I had found a small bridge without any traffic. I left my personal items on a bench...and fell.

I haven't even thought about suicide after that because people cared about me. It hurts to tell this; I'm literally crying right now because I don't want to remember it. But I just...I just don't believe that people go to hell just for suicide. I can't say that Chester Bennington is in hell, just because he committed suicide. I can't condemn the guy when I walked in his shoes at one time.

I don't know where I'm getting at with this. I hope that I don't upset you all with this. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this, I guess.