Celebration Thread: Victory in Preseason Game 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That was so much fun to watch. That was by far the most interesting preseason game in the history of the NFL.

And Fuck the cowgirls. Ha. Fucking bitches.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Who here can be honest enough? Dak looked better than Goff. Just saying. However, its just pre-season , so it really means nothing.

Okay and Aaron Green looked better than Ezekiel Elliott.;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was there and Higbee was the most impressive on offense to me. Jrry nailed it, he does not go down easy and that is such a stark contrast to Cook who goes down easier than most WR's. Once he learns how to block Kendricks is done as starter.

Goff had that 1 wow throw down the seem to Cooper, but he couldn't hang on to it. That was enough for me, I hope his shoulder is fine in the morning. Spruce was the MVP by far in my book. Made the easy catch, the clutch catch and a TD catch. Feed him again in the next game and if he does that again I don't see how he doesn't make the 53.

I thought Westbrooks, Seau and Longacre got the most pressure on the QB. The starters on D played so little it was all about the depth players in this one. I noticed Brian Randolph got hurt late and needed help walking to the sideline.

Really liked the play of all the RBs. Cunningham, Brown and Green all made plays. Brown is consistently breaking tackles, I want to see a bit more of him, he reminds me of a slower Michael Turner.

It was a lot of fun and the crowd really got going once it was 21-24 in the 4th. When they took the lead the place was buzzing. The energy level for the Seattle game is gonna be jacked, it was getting loud late in the 4th when Dallas had the ball, good stuff to be there for.
Nice post ramfan46(y).
Yes with the development of Higbee as being legit the 4th TE to make this roster will be a very interesting battle. I watched #48 Justice Cunningham make some serious strong interior blocks on some very good runs. JC has been the main back up to Harkey. Last night he made better run blocks than Harkey check it out! But the truth is both Kendricks & Harkey can play the H-Back/FB/Move TE role without any issues. Then is JC a real need? Need to see more of the other two Stoneburner & Hemingway. However IF JC can make blocks like he did yesterday then he is our 4th TE/FB/H-back!

Yes, the quick twitch DE's will be a big need for this defense if Quinn can not fully recover his past performance. Eugene Sims played awful & his performance last season was all but dismal too. Right now all three of the DE's you mentioned would be better than Sims IMO. Looks like the flip of Coples/Westbrooks was an improvement.

No worries @ RB but certainly can not say that about the wide outs other than Nelson Spruce.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, I thought the 3rd offensive line did a good job, guys who won't make the club like tackles Pace Murphy and Jordan Swindle for example along with Demetrius Rhaney (who might have played his best game ever). Granted it was against the 3's, but you can only block who you are up against.

Spruce was amazing having a receiver that can actually catch the ball is nice, Mike Thomas not so much. Troy Hill showed something too and although people are talking about Seau, felt Matt Longacre was getting great pressure on the right side as well.

Overall it was great to get a win and the crowd was amazing feel much better with depth at Running Back with the play of Cunningham, Brown and Green and even Chase Reynolds (the white running back in the room) scored a touchdown.

Note to Special Team Coach John Fassel, it's okay to still kick the ball out of the end zone starting at the 25 beats a kick off return for a TD.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Nice post ramfan46(y).
Yes with the development of Higbee as being legit the 4th TE to make this roster will be a very interesting battle. I watched #48 Justice Cunningham make some serious strong interior blocks on some very good runs. JC has been the main back up to Harkey. Last night he made better run blocks than Harkey check it out! But the truth is both Kendricks & Harkey can play the H-Back/FB/Move TE role without any issues. Then is JC a real need? Need to see more of the other two Stoneburner & Hemingway. However IF JC can make blocks like he did yesterday then he is our 4th TE/FB/H-back!

Yes, the quick twitch DE's will be a big need for this defense if Quinn can not fully recover his past performance. Eugene Sims played awful & his performance last season was all but dismal too. Right now all three of the DE's you mentioned would be better than Sims IMO. Looks like the flip of Coples/Westbrooks was an improvement.

No worries @ RB but certainly can not say that about the wide outs other than Nelson Spruce.

Nice, I was hoping for more out of Hemingway, but I would love another stout blocker in J Cunningham. Hemingway did draw a Interference call though. He's looking like PS squad material though overall. More Higbee! I don't remember the last time I saw a TE run a nice come back route for the Rams.

Is it Saturday yet?

Ellard80

Legend
First team defense was very swift cheese like.

However for aesthetic and political reasons this game needed to be won.. and they pulled it off.

Tavon Austin... small and bad hands....

Always have liked Benny Cunningham

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nice, I was hoping for more out of Hemingway, but I would love another stout blocker in J Cunningham. Hemingway did draw a Interference call though. He's looking like PS squad material though overall. More Higbee! I don't remember the last time I saw a TE run a nice come back route for the Rams.

Is it Saturday yet?

Ref Temarrick Heningway....its going to be hard to make this master roster as I see it unless he shows he has great hands & is a prospect as a deep over the middle pass catching TE, otherwise he is headed to the PS at best. Temarrick has 3 more preseason game to prove he can get it done.

The hands issue comes into play heavy from this point on.....best run blocks all evening was from Justice Cunningham period! Blocks like that will get Gurley some big yardage totals.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I'm not bashing Mannion for the sake of propping up Goff or Keenum. Just saying that the stuff he did against what I assume were mostly third-teamers (i don't know the 'boys depth chart) was effective but also unimpressive. Maybe I'm taking too hard a line on it, it was just the impression I got watching him move and throw.

I didn't say he was inaccurate in general but he wasn't accurate past 5-7 yards. He slung the ball as quickly as he could for slants and YAC plays, and it worked in this case, but I think the stats he acquired doing so (and the win) are vastly misleading. Mentally, he seems to get it. But he seemed like the quarterback of ours with the farthest to go from a standpoint of physically playing the position.

But whatever, I'll watch the preseason develop. Overall, glad we won. Sorry to be negative on the guy, I just feel I saw something else.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Note to Special Team Coach John Fassel, it's okay to still kick the ball out of the end zone starting at the 25 beats a kick off return for a TD.
That was the very 1st play of the game! Live and Learn I guess!! I hate the New Touch-Back Rule, Bringing it out to the 25!!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Was there too! Wow! What was that? It felt like a playoff game. Crazy rabid Rams fans. I mean RABID! Very fun and I've got laryngitis from screaming.
How many Cowboys fans would you say were there?

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
That was so much fun to watch. That was by far the most interesting preseason game in the history of the NFL.

And freak the cowgirls. Ha. freaking bitches.
That's it. I'm taking my poster above my bed of you down.

…..

Legend
I'm not bashing Mannion for the sake of propping up Goff or Keenum. Just saying that the stuff he did against what I assume were mostly third-teamers (i don't know the 'boys depth chart) was effective but also unimpressive. Maybe I'm taking too hard a line on it, it was just the impression I got watching him move and throw.

I didn't say he was inaccurate in general but he wasn't accurate past 5-7 yards. He slung the ball as quickly as he could for slants and YAC plays, and it worked in this case, but I think the stats he acquired doing so (and the win) are vastly misleading. Mentally, he seems to get it. But he seemed like the quarterback of ours with the farthest to go from a standpoint of physically playing the position.

But whatever, I'll watch the preseason develop. Overall, glad we won. Sorry to be negative on the guy, I just feel I saw something else.

Very cool @Austin . that's why we come here, to discuss our varying opinions. For me, I had very little to go on from last year, and assumed the worst. So I had very low expectations and my glowing opinion is partially based on those low expectations. You can color me relieved to say the least, relieved to know he is not incompetent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's fair.

But it's better to succeed against 3rd stringers than not! (y)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That was the very 1st play of the game! Live and Learn I guess!! I hate the New Touch-Back Rule, Bringing it out to the 25!!

They do it in college, it's not that big of an issue, if you're confident in your coverage units you can pin a team back, but the five yards of real estate should not compromise the defense.

…..

Legend
First team defense was very swift cheese like.

agreed. a little disturbing, particularly the play of our #1 corner. He gave up too much padding then was late to break on the ball. At least with Sensabaugh on the other side, he may have given up two key receptions but his coverage was tight as glue. Dez just outsized him at the point of the catch.

If you're Dallas you got to be lovin what you saw in Dak Prescott, but if you're a Ram you're wondering why we gave him the opportunity to be so effective.

There is a trend though....seems like we did the same thing the last two years. In Gregg we trust.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very cool @Austin . that's why we come here, to discuss our varying opinions. For me, I had very little to go on from last year, and assumed the worst. So I had very low expectations and my glowing opinion is partially based on those low expectations. You can color me relieved to say the least, relieved to know he is not incompetent.

I like Mannion because I like traditional drop back passers. He might not have the footwork but he has that toughness you need. That throw to Spruce on third down was clutch. He got choke slammed as soon as he throw the ball. I like that he can recognize blitzes and get the ball where it needs to be. He excuted FISHER offense perfectly. Run game was strong and the qb makes the plays that are there. Last year Fisher wanted

Thats why i love this forum. I love talking about this team and hearing everyone's take on this team. We are not all gonna agree to everything but thats what makes this so fun.

My take on Mannion even from last year was that he is a guy that needs a chance. He came from a pro style offense. He is comfortable under center, he dont have elite footwork but he can move inside the pocket to buy time. He can make every throw in the book. Goff is the future of this team we all agree on that, but as a long time fan of this team we know how important it is to have quality backup who can win games for us. I think Mannion can be that guy and i think fisher was very happy to see Mannion play like that.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Yeah, Dog, CGI, Dxmissile, y'all are right.

Hearing you guys talk about it makes me feel more positive than I did watching it. I was probably focusing too much on the negatives and not admiring a guy working with the opportunity he was given and the plays available to him. Would have liked to see him connect on some mid to deep routes, but maybe it just wasn't there. And what he did was working.

Yep, thanks guys, good talk (y) Looking forward to the next game.