Casserly: "I rate Watkins ahead of Julio Jones"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
"At the same point in their careers, I would have Sammy Watkins rated higher [than Julio Jones]." http://on.nfl.com/1lUd72u
Both were great prospects, both can run, although Julio is BIGGER, and FASTER, both had to learn routes. Watkins has better hands, IMO. Julio was a better blocker.

It's all about opinions, from the last 4 draft I rate AJ Geen, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon (as a player at least) and Keenan Allen all above Watkins.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RaggedFlawlessDachshund.gif

Mila-kunis-laughing.gif

jjab360

Legend
I don't see why. Julio was better than Sammy in almost every aspect as a prospect. It's not even that close, imo.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't see why. Julio was better than Sammy in almost every aspect as a prospect. It's not even that close, imo.
Nor is he close to Green, or Johnson. If he was, I'd be driving the bandwagon. I am a good driver.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both were great prospects, both can run, although Julio is BIGGER, and FASTER, both had to learn routes. Watkins has better hands, IMO. Julio was a better blocker.

Really? Don't get caught up in combine #'s, Watkins has world class speed. had he chosen to run at his pro day you would have seen this.

RFIP

Taller? Yes.

Faster? Only if you use the combine and not game speed.

Tougher? Heck no.

Better run after catch? Nope.

Jones was a stud, no doubt. As is Watkins. But because Watkins isn't the same height he gets dinged, but he plays taller and has a big catch radius not to mention his ability to adjust to balls behind him or at his feet.

Going to be interesting.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Really? Don't get caught up in combine #'s, Watkins has world class speed. had he chosen to run at his pro day you would have seen this.
Oh, you really think I'm caught up in that? Silly, I am not. Watkins, world class speed...please, not even close. He CHOSE for a reason. THAT is not even my point. He has great hands, but limited routes.

Last edited:

RFIP

Oh, you really think I'm caught up in that? Silly, I am not. Watkins, world class speed...please, not even close. He CHOSE for a reason. THAT is not even my point.

Yawn.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/sammy-watkins?id=2543457
Sammy Watkins
Strengths
Exceptional football playing speed -- can flat out fly and take the top off a defense. Has world-class track speed. Extends outside his frame and plucks the ball. Outstanding body control and agility. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder and is a natural hands-catcher who can make an average quarterback look good. Consistently turns 2-yard gains into 15-yard chunks -- possesses big-time playmaking ability and is very effective creating in the open field on bubble screens and quick-hitting short/lateral tosses. Superb run-after-the-catch ability. Good burst out of his cuts to separate. Has game-breaking return ability and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Has a strong support structure (mother moved to Clemson following Wakins' 2012 drug arrest and he has steered clear of any trouble).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

rfip.

pumping Watkins.

One more month.

Kill me now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He didn't prove world class speed, and he had a second choice, at his pro day. Translation to me, he doesn't have it. He certainly didn't show it at the combine, in the 40, or his routes, or drills. This is undisputed. You love him...fine, no problem with that. I will not agree with things that are not facts....sorry. I love his hands, and many other things about him.

Wouldn't be sorry, if we picked him, but not the best pick for value for our team, IMO.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
RFIP sounds like a good guy...a little too obsessed and narrow minded toward this draft sure, but i respect someone who is willing to put it out there for all to judge. I can think of one or two self proclaimed draftnicks in here that wouldn't put their names on the community mock we did. :whistle:

I do wonder if, after the draft and the Rams don't select Watkins...if we'll be hearing from RFIP again. ?
Hopefully we do.

jjab360

Legend
Taller? Yes.

Faster? Only if you use the combine and not game speed.

Tougher? Heck no.

Better run after catch? Nope.
I understand you're a huge Sammy fan, but Watkins was definitely not tougher than Julio, not even close. Julio was just a bully in the SEC, harder to tackle than most RBs and an elite blocker as well. And yes, Julio is faster than Watkins, both in timed speed and game speed, I don't really know why you seem to think otherwise.

Julio was a true freak of nature, Watkins just isn't really in that same conversation. Watkins vs Blackmon or Crabtree as prospects would be a good debate, though.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
"At the same point in their careers, I would have Sammy Watkins rated higher [than Julio Jones]." http://on.nfl.com/1lUd72u

RFIP, who's your second choice for the Rams' first pick? I asked you this in another thread but I don't think I got a response (apologies if you did respond and I didn't see it).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I understand you're a huge Sammy fan, but Watkins was definitely not tougher than Julio, not even close. Julio was just a bully in the SEC, harder to tackle than most RBs and an elite blocker as well. And yes, Julio is faster than Watkins, both in timed speed and game speed, I don't really know why you seem to think otherwise.

Julio was a true freak of nature, Watkins just isn't really in that same conversation. Watkins vs Blackmon or Crabtree as prospects would be a good debate, though.
Don't forget, tough wise, Jones ran a 4.3 40 with a broken foot. I'm out of this. Best wishes, especially for our team. Watkins said he would break the 40 record...did he? No, not close. I like him, but not at @ #2.

jap

Legend
Don't forget, tough wise, Jones ran a 4.3 40 with a broken foot. I'm out of this. Best wishes, especially for our team. Watkins said he would break the 40 record...did he? No, not close. I like him, but not at @ #2.

I know Watkins ain't faster than Tavon!