PREGAME Cardinals at Rams - Oct 3rd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
I mean, truly, how much should we expect Hendo to play? I’m thinking not much.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I mean, truly, how much should we expect Hendo to play? I’m thinking not much.
I would prefer he take another week off. Nothing like sore ribs to cause you to fumble the ball. One of the best things the Rams have done so far is not turn the ball over. No reason to rush him back unless Sony gets hurt.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You look at the Cards last couple of off seasons and it's like they are formatting themselves to beat the Rams. Upgrade the interior IOL, add WR speed and depth and add speed on defense in the middle of the field.

JRobinson

MiLB
I would prefer he take another week off. Nothing like sore ribs to cause you to fumble the ball. One of the best things the Rams have done so far is not turn the ball over. No reason to rush him back unless Sony gets hurt.
Yup. I’m with you here 100%. No need to rush him back the way things currently are.

oldnotdead

Legend
You look at the Cards last couple of off seasons and it's like they are formatting themselves to beat the Rams. Upgrade the interior IOL, add WR speed and depth and add speed on defense in the middle of the field.

Personally, I agree. HCs, understand that they must win their division first before thinking beyond that. Look at all the "hired guns" they have brought in as both Kliff and the FO are feeling the heat to win now. So I'm sure they are thinking that being competitive with the Rams is a top priority.

But that said, I don't see them there yet. If this OL continues to play at their current level, they will need to blitz to have any hope of getting pressure on Stafford. Michel and Funk are good enough to force them to honor the run. If they don't and sell out to rush the pass, it will leave their questionable secondary exposed to a very deep WR corps that the Rams have.

McVay's piecemeal approach to his offense was for the NFCW's benefit. They already know Kupp and Woods. So in the first 2 games, he proved to them they can't take Jefferson lightly. Also, the incorporation of a true TE receiving threat in Higbee was highlighted. So it was no surprise to me when Sean unleashed D. Jax putting the Rams deep threat on full display last Sunday.

If McVay goes empty backfield the Rams can put Funk in that second slot position opposite D. Jax. I don't think teams know how fast Funk really is. This will give Stafford 5 receivers in patterns, with 2 probably going deep. That means AZ will have to get to Stafford with just their front 4 and I don't think they can. McVay has gone empty against better D fronts with success. Someone will be open for Stafford who is a master at anticipating who that is going to be.

There is no question the Cards have upgraded their roster. But I simply don't see how they really match up particularly in their secondary. Both D. Jax and Kupp are going to demand double coverage. Both can beat double coverage. But in doing that they will be forced to single up on everyone else. This is why the emergence of Jefferson and now D Jax will force all the secondaries they face to play zone, probably a cover 2 in hopes of limiting big plays. But both Kupp and D Jax have shown they can beat that coverage. Also, with Woods in the intermediate zone and Higbee in the short zone, any secondary is going to be hard-pressed to cover everyone. Now add in the threat from Michel who can release out of the backfield if the OL has control of the pass rush.

This is why the really elite play of the OL is key to making this offense unstoppable. Michel's superior ability as a RB pass blocker makes him the #1 RB IMO. His ability to play all phases well isn't matched by Henderson or Akers. With Sony in the backfield, McVay can run or pass because he can have confidence that Michel can play both equally well. He can give you those early-down runs and superior pass protection allowing for passes on any down. If defenses blitz but consistently can't get there they will be forced to back off.

If the 2018 Ram offense was a juggernaut this year's offense is far better. This offense is downright scary. If Morris can keep his defense playing well there is no question in my mind this team is a legit contender for the Lombardi this year. If you chart the number of possession resulting in scores compared to total possessions it's shocking.

THE RAMS HAVE HAD 29 OFFENSIVE POSSESSIONS RESULTING IN 11 TDs AND 6 FGs. 17 SCORES FROM 29 POSSESSION, i.e. 58.6%!!
IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE AVERAGE IN THE NFL WAS ABOUT 41.7%!

This is why I make a big deal about Morris' stupid idea that bend not break is a good scheme. The average number of offensive possession in a game is 12 and you can see that the Rams aren't even getting 10. This is because Morris allows the opposition to control the clock, i.e. opponents 32:12 minutes vs Rams 27.48 minutes per game.

In other words the Rams must score at that rate to win, i.e. the offense must carry the defense. If the Rams get behind more than one score Morris' foolishness will cost them the game. This is a playoff loser defensive scheme. The better the opposition, the more foolish it's going to look. Morris must get more aggressive and take away the clock advantage. This is the huge difference between Morris and Staley. I watched the Chargers under Staley and he's doing more with less defensively. They contest everything while Morris contests only some. After 3 games it's clear that unless Morris changes his approach this DC is a huge downgrade from Staley and IMO he's a major problem in their quest for a Lombardi.

Stafford must play lights out every damn week to carry the defense. I'm not sure he can. Elite teams will score on this defense. The way Morris is playing it's a given. Waiting for the opposition to make a mistake instead of forcing that mistake is poor coaching. This whole scheme is placing a huge burden on the DL to get pressure and stop the run both and it's not happening.

The Rams are allowing an average of 4.3 per run which contrasts with Staley's rush defense allowing only 3.8 per play. Passing under Staley the Rams allowed an average of 5.8 yds per pass while under Morris this year that average has ballooned to 7 yds per pass. This is why Morris' soft defense is a going to be a loser if he doesn't tighten up.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who's worried about looking past Arizona because of the short week turnaround game at Seattle?
I'm not worried, because all I'm hearing all week is how great Murray is and how the Cardinals poop
don't stink. The Cardinal hype train is breaking the sound barrier and Murray is the NFL MVP. blah blah blah
And If I'm correct, I am not the only one sick and effing tired of hearing about it.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

2021 NFL Season - Week 4 - Cardinals at Rams (Madden 22)​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gCkO8Whvso&ab_channel=JotaykraRodgers

These always crack me up. Hint: it goes to overtime. :cool:

lol just watched the end of regulation.
It's 3rd and goal at about the 6 with 9 seconds on the clock
and they have the rams kicking a field goal. SMH
Down 3pts and its 3rd and goal at the 6 with 9 secs to go I can guarantee you McVay aint kicking no damned field goal. :giggle:
Not without taking one more shot at a TD

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm just worried because Murray is healthy this time and because you figure the odds will catch up at some point.
That being said, Cards haven't seen ANYTHING like this offense this season. I'm thinking the Rams will score 40 and might have to to win.

sloramfan

Starter
"royal on royal"... man i know i'm weird... but i don't really care... it's my rams... get the hell out of the room if you can't take the off the charts yelling and whooping it up... it's my team, and during gametime, i hold no quarter when it comes to cheering/ cussing/ support...

go rams

slo

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
"royal on royal"... man i know i'm weird... but i don't really care... it's my rams... get the hell out of the room if you can't take the off the charts yelling and whooping it up... it's my team, and during gametime, i hold no quarter when it comes to cheering/ cussing/ support...

go rams

slo
Im sorry…… should I have started another game thread to make a comment on a game factor?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Saw something I think from Lindsey Thiry that the players voted for this combo.
Frustrated Austin Powers GIF

sloramfan

Starter
LARams _1963..

you may not remember, but i tailgated with you guys at the coliseum with you guys..

best tailgate ever in my opinion.. you guys set the bar pretty damn high...

i just love my rams and i could care less about what they wear...

go rams

slo

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
A little concerned about the Rams psychology heading onto this one. A lot of overconfidence on this board, anyway.
Haven’t seen anything to make me think the team is overconfident or taking any team for granted.

The board may be another story.

But home field is now a force of its own.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
lol, you gotta stop this “should have” stuff dude. If someone “should have”, they “would have”.

He could reword it and say, that it was a very close game against Minnesota and that it could have gone either way at the end, then the Cardinals played poorly against a bad Jaguar team. It doesn't sound any better imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've always liked Chase Edmunds. Him and Rondale Moore could get loose vs our D at times. Murray running around and finding these guys with running room is worrisome.

My concern is the Rams secondary. Morris is putting too much on Williams and Long. The deep safety coverage isn't great either. The Cardinals have four good receivers, two of which are very fast. Contains Murray to obscure his vision is a must.

I also don't like the Cards pass rush. I hope Stafford comes out of this game healthy.

Freelund picking against the Rams again.

Anyone ever check to see just how accurate or not she is???

That girl needs to get off the computer and into the gym. That ass is getting rotunda!!!

Tbh even if she is picking against the Rams, Frelund still gets my respect as one of the female reporters who actually puts in 10x the work of her male coworkers who seem to just be coasting and making a paycheck at times

What they have her doing is a joke. Just like picking against the spread and trying to use the transitive property to base it on. Statistics cannot figure out who wins football games. Its completely inaccurate. Who thought the Seahawks would play so poorly? Who thought the Lions would nearly beat the Ravens? How was she leaning with Washington? Like most everyone else thinking they were they cream of the NFC East? Football is difficult to predict. No matter how much studying you do there is no right answer.

DVontel

Rookie
He could reword it and say, that it was a very close game against Minnesota and that it could have gone either way at the end, then the Cardinals played poorly against a bad Jaguar team. It doesn't sound any better imo.
It definitely sounds a lot better. “Should have” always just comes off as whiny.