Can the Rams win a Super Bowl with their current coaching staff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Can the Rams win a Super Bowl with their current coaching staff?

• Total voters

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Yes, I think they can even if I believe there is some serious growing ability amongst a few members.

Fisher took a team to the dance. Williams coordinated a team to the game one year and won it all with another. Schottenheimer was the playcaller for (2) Jet teams that appeared in the AFC Championship.

Yes, they can get it done.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not with the current OC unless the Rams defense can hold teams to 3 points or less per game. All the other coaches, Yes.

If the Rams had the Cowboys offensive line and running game they are a different team. It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to have a good running game if you have a dominant offensive line. The Rams were a playoff team running the same plays over and over again in the 80's (Dickerson left/Dickerson right) and 3/5 pro bowl Olinemen.

Fisher made it to a Superbowl with a very good Oline and a great running back. The last Superbowl that the Ravens won they were not playing as well early in the year but their Oline stayed healthy and really came together near the end of the season and it was given the most credit for Baltimore winning the Superbowl.

Any coaching staff can win if they have the right personnel. Heck the Jets even made the playoffs with Sanchez at QB due to their Oline and defense.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
No question. We have a good coaching staff. I've been on Schotty's ass a number of times, but I've seen him call some damn good games too. People calling for Gase. Look how we shut down HIS offense. Having Peyton Manning and crew will make ANY offensive coordinator look good. I have full confidence in this staff going forward.

Also, the coaches aren't responsible for the horrendous officiating we had in a few games this year - and bonehead plays like throwing a screen pass directly to the opponent instead of into the ground.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Absolutely YES we can!
Adam Gase, OC for Denver would be my choice.

I'd be fine with retaining the defensive staff if they would stay... probably not due to ties with Fisher, but still...

Gase is a hot commodity right now. I hear the Bears really like him and he has the niners attention too. I figured Manning made the guy, but Peyton is the one who is really behind him saying, "he'll make a great coach."
As Far as this "Gase Talk" goes I think Peyton is the True OC on the Bronco's! He already got one OC a Head Coaching Job, Now he's Looking to do it again!:)

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
idk if I have faith in Schotty not to have a meltdown if the defense adapts in the second half

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Exactly. Caldwell is no world beater. I actually think he is one of the worst coaches in the league....(And he was a JoePa disciple and I am a PSU grad)

By far one of the worst coaches I have ever seen lol. Did not realize he was a PSU guy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If Jim Caldwell can bring a team to a Super Bowl then any coach can win a Super Bowl......so short answer is yes this staff can win one.

What's wrong with Caldwell? I've noticed the Lions are 11-5 this year with him after two losing seasons.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
What's wrong with Caldwell? I've noticed the Lions are 11-5 this year with him after two losing seasons.

He has a losing record in the college game, he inhereted a team Dungy left him got them to 14-0 and sat his starters instead of achieving greatness. Loses Manning and the them team tanks. His game management is some of the worst I've seen.

That being said, I hope he wins because my dad is a big Lions fans and would love for my dad to see them in a SB before he dies. Caldwell again inherited a talented team. Let's see what he does in the playoffs this year, but to date he has done nothing to impress me. Again might be one of the worst coaches I have seen. Got worse in Indy, curious to see what he does in Detroit.

For the record, I think he is a good OC.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Just curious.... what is it that makes you say they have "gotten progressively worse each year"? Their W/L record? Because before Fisher took over this franchise had ZERO chance of competing with the likes of the Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks of the world, much less beat them BOTH.

This team is no longer the laughing stock of the NFL, regardless of the record. The talent level is now of NFL caliber, unlike the roster of 2010-2011. The biggest issue, IMO, is the fact that for 3 consecutive years, they have been the youngest roster in the NFL. More talented now than before, but still prone to inconsistent play week to week. It also means, that while the front line players are vastly improved, being so young in crucial depth positions has lead to even more frustration and inconsistency. So losing your starting QB, LT, LDE, both CBs at one point or another, most productive WR the first 5 weeks of the season, makes it even tougher to overcome.

I'm basing it on their W/L record. Sure, we're better than pre Fisher days. But I was hoping for more than 6 wins by year 3. If some are ok with that because of how bad we once were, thats fine. But for me, I want something more.

Our record says we're worse in 2014 than we were in 2013. And 2013 was worse than 2012. You are what your record says you are. And our record says we've been a losing team the past 3 years getting progressively worse each year. Being better than 2-14 with a losing record isn't satisfying for me.

They tell us they're better even though the record doesn't show it. I've been through all that many times over the years as a Rams fan. And too many times I was duped and bought into the hype. This time, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe this time if I lower my expectations I'll be pleasantly surprised. And if things stay the same, well, its not as disappointing if you're not expecting it anyway.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm basing it on their W/L record. Sure, we're better than pre Fisher days. But I was hoping for more than 6 wins by year 3. If some are ok with that because of how bad we once were, thats fine. But for me, I want something more.

Our record says we're worse in 2014 than we were in 2013. And 2013 was worse than 2012. You are what your record says you are. And our record says we've been a losing team the past 3 years getting progressively worse each year. Being better than 2-14 with a losing record isn't satisfying for me.

They tell us they're better even though the record doesn't show it. I've been through all that many times over the years as a Rams fan. And too many times I was duped and bought into the hype. This time, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe this time if I lower my expectations I'll be pleasantly surprised. And if things stay the same, well, its not as disappointing if you're not expecting it anyway.

I guess we just see things differently. For me anyway, it never about the record as much as it is about how they get there. There was not one single game THIS YEAR that I felt they didn't have a chance to win. That cannot be said in years past. That IS improvement IMO. Yes it leads to more frustration when they don't who up on a given week, but to say they aren't better just isn't accurate.

Find me another team in the NFL that suffered the number of injuries to KEY players that this team endured this year. They lose Bradford, C. Long, J. Long, Quick, Jenkins, T. Johnson, Austin (for a few games) Joyner and even Gaines in the last game of the season. I get all teams have injuries, but not many lose the number of players at such key positions. Add in the FACT that they remained the youngest team in the league which now exposes the lack of quality depth to replace these players, you get the inconsistent performances we witnessed this year.

From a coaching standpoint, you are forced to scale back game plans, and cannot do the things that you can with more experienced "starters". And that goes for both sides of the ball.

To ignore the reasons ( I know some call them excuses) for why they arrive at the record they have, is naive to me. Not saying you are ignoring them, but its never as simple as just looking at the W/L record and saying "you are what your record says you are".

Take a look at the Colts as an example. Everyone loves to point to how quickly they turned it around once Andrew Luck arrived. But comparing the schedules one would find out that W/L record of the opponents of the Colts won 31 LESS games than Rams opponents in 2013 & 2014. If you don't think that is a major factor in the overall record then, IMO, you are missing the big picture.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The only thing that makes me suspect the coaching staff is the inconsistency of this team in everything they do except that they are very consistent in making too many mistakes and penalties.
That said, I don't want them replaced, even though I do doubt that they will ever get to the Super Bowl, because they are improving the team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Find me another team in the NFL that suffered the number of injuries to KEY players that this team endured this year. They lose Bradford, C. Long, J. Long, Quick, Jenkins, T. Johnson, Austin (for a few games) Joyner and even Gaines in the last game of the season. I get all teams have injuries, but not many lose the number of players at such key positions. Add in the FACT that they remained the youngest team in the league which now exposes the lack of quality depth to replace these players, you get the inconsistent performances we witnessed this year.

To be fair, the Arizona Cardinals lost John Abraham, Darnell Dockett, Carson Palmer, & their best LB and some say player LB Daryl Washington was suspended for the season. And if guys like Gaines, Austin, and Jenkins can be included so can time missed by Andre Ellington, Tyrann Mathieu, & Calais Campbell. Even Larry Fitzgerald who has been hobbling for a good portion of the season.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
To be fair, the Arizona Cardinals lost John Abraham, Darnell Dockett, Carson Palmer, & their best LB and some say player LB Daryl Washington was suspended for the season. And if guys like Gaines, Austin, and Jenkins can be included so can time missed by Andre Ellington, Tyrann Mathieu, & Calais Campbell. Even Larry Fitzgerald who has been hobbling for a good portion of the season.

And how have they done after they lost Palmer? How do you think their season would have turned out if they had lost Palmer in the PRESEASON?

Memphis Ram

Legend
And how have they done after they lost Palmer? How do you think their season would have turned out if they had lost Palmer in the PRESEASON?

Don't know. But, they were 5-3 in games started by backup QB Drew Stanton. And two of those losses came on the road vs. Denver and Seattle. So I don't think a 6-10 record would be in the cards. Do you?

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I guess we just see things differently. For me anyway, it never about the record as much as it is about how they get there. There was not one single game THIS YEAR that I felt they didn't have a chance to win. That cannot be said in years past. That IS improvement IMO. Yes it leads to more frustration when they don't who up on a given week, but to say they aren't better just isn't accurate.

From a coaching standpoint, you are forced to scale back game plans, and cannot do the things that you can with more experienced "starters". And that goes for both sides of the ball.

To ignore the reasons ( I know some call them excuses) for why they arrive at the record they have, is naive to me. Not saying you are ignoring them, but its never as simple as just looking at the W/L record and saying "you are what your record says you are".

Take a look at the Colts as an example. Everyone loves to point to how quickly they turned it around once Andrew Luck arrived. But comparing the schedules one would find out that W/L record of the opponents of the Colts won 31 LESS games than Rams opponents in 2013 & 2014. If you don't think that is a major factor in the overall record then, IMO, you are missing the big picture.

All I can say is, I thought they would be better than they were. Even with losing Bradford. On the surface they appear to be more talented. But it isn't showing in the win column.

Are they ready to take the next step? I honestly don't know. Its possible. Then again its also possible we'll be talking the same old story about a young team making mistakes and injuries preventing them from winning.

A few weeks ago I thought we we almost there. But ascending teams don't lose consecutive winnable home games. The way they finished was not the look of an ascending team. Were the wins against a couple lower echelon teams just fool's gold?

I don't have the confidence I had before the Cardinals game. We got teased with a few impressive wins. But is that all we get? I won't be going through this offseason thinking next season is our year. Been there done that too many times. This time I'm taking a wait and see approach.

V3

Hall of Fame
Can they? Sure. Will they? I have serious doubts. Too many major mistakes for my tastes and a long history from which to draw.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They absolutely can win with this staff. There is a lot more to it than the coaches putting up X's and O's, motivating, making decent personnel decisions. The bounces of the ball are cruel or exceptionally fortuitous (ex Seahawks game) injuries can break a team that looks headed for the promised land (2014 Cardinals) or make an unknown a star (Warner). Bad or no calls can take a championship away Rams v Cheatriots.

No matter what the calls on the field are execution is key, Jenkins getting burned on a long TD just before the half. Hill throwing an INT at the end of the SD game. And no one remembers the calls and plays that led up to those points.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I voted yes because IF the team stays HEALTHY ( qb )we have a shot at the super bowl. With some offensive line help this coming season we have the coaching staff to get it done.