Can Rams win with Hill?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Hill the missing piece to having a winning season?

• Total voters

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I do like Hill though and think he is a good QB.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I do like Hill though and think he is a good QB.

You aren't wrong , but I don't think he has more to offer than Davis , I see the switch as desperation, maybe being benched is just the thing to get Davis back on track and then again maybe it shakes his confidence .
This next game is a trial for whoever we have under center. I just hate being one of those teams that throws away the experience a QB gets making mistakes and doesn't give a young one the time to work through them, many of the greats Manning and Favre stunk out loud their first year but their coaches stuck with them,I was hoping if nothing else we come out of this season with a young seasoned backup .
I'll be very surprised if Hill is back here next year after the mess that has been made of the "your in your out, it's your job when your healthy,wait a minute ,it's his job, oh never mind it's yours again" . If Hill lights it up we'll get outbid for him ,we got outbid for others before we got him.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
You aren't wrong , but I don't think he has more to offer than Davis , I see the switch as desperation, maybe being benched is just the thing to get Davis back on track and then again maybe it shakes his confidence .
This next game is a trial for whoever we have under center. I just hate being one of those teams that throws away the experience a QB gets making mistakes and doesn't give a young one the time to work through them, many of the greats Manning and Favre stunk out loud their first year but their coaches stuck with them,I was hoping if nothing else we come out of this season with a young seasoned backup .
I'll be very surprised if Hill is back here next year after the mess that has been made of the "your in your out, it's your job when your healthy,wait a minute ,it's his job, oh never mind it's yours again" . If Hill lights it up we'll get outbid for him ,we got outbid for others before we got him.
Mostly agree. I just don't Davis has "it". I think Hill is a better BU but he has been treated very unfairly. I would go to another team if I was him. He got screwed in SF and I think in St Louis too. At this point the Rams are not going to the playoffs. Lets see what Keenum can do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Because you can see the difference between a young QB making mistakes and a young QB getting exposed. Plus, Manning was a #1 pick in his rookie year and Favre was traded for a first round pick to the Packers. Both were more or less 1st round picks for their teams and great talents.

Davis is a third year UDFA and a pretty marginal talent. He's not going to get that sort of leeway...especially when he just seems to be getting worse.

The sad truth of the NFL is...the higher your picked, the longer your leash. Davis had an opportunity but it was a limited one which is more than most players of his caliber get...he just didn't take enough advantage of it.

Nada.. Hill is a statue in the pocket and will have the same terrible WR corp and OL that Davis had.. Kenny Britt was 3rd string at Tennessee Titans last year.. feed on that

Ramathon

Okay agreed , Davis has not played as well as he started , what QB doesn't play worse on the road ? The elites?

That said , I'm not questioning THE DECISION , as far as I'm concerned the coaching staff knows far better than any of us who gives the team the best chance to win ,which plays to call against the defenses they are seeing , I always have loved being in the enviable position as a coach that players went head to head and won their starting spot that way.

When Fisher was saying Hill gets the job back when healthy I was one of the people who said it was the right thing BECAUSE it was what the coach wanted and knew best ,when he changed course I went along reluctantly because Davis was playing pretty well and had a future the team could avail itself of for what could easily be as long term as the Gary Kubiak experience was in Denver.

Here are just some of my concerns now: For all his efforts to instill in his Qb's that they didn't NEED to look over their shoulder and therefore become tentative because they were afraid to make the mistake that would bring the hook, he can't do that now, I think both these guys know better NOW.

I don't know Hill's home situation , but it's my guess that he's heard everything at home people heard on the radio from Brenda Warner ,hell hath no furry like a woman who thinks her husband has been scorned ,so how do ya think the conversation went when Hill told his wife he was back in?

Tactical error , Fisher told Davis first , suppose Hill did what Kurt Warner did when Martz tried to bench Bulger and refused to displace the guy, there is NFL film on that .

What Fisher should have done from the beginning is to have said "as long as I /we believe the guy who is starting gives the best chance too win ,he will continue to start,but this business is totally performance based and every player on the team must know he has to perform to keep his job,they do pretty well already and I won't try to make them think differently ,I have no plans to keep a short leash on Austin ,it's his job but he has to earn it ,as his body of work expands he will be evaluated, I didn't make this decision in haste Austin has earned more starting time ,this is in no way indicates a lack of confidence in Shaun , he's plenty good enough to start for this team ,it's an expression of confidence in Austin".

The trick to coaching is getting the players to let you coach them and that begins with their belief in what you say,it's impossible for me to believe in a roster with 60 disparate personalities there aren't any who are cynical enough to have lost confidence in what this HC has to say.

"Choose your words carefully and try to make them tasty ,some day you may need to eat them" ....................Unknown

I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions about what Fisher said when to the players. Do we know he didn't say exactly what I've highlighted in blue to them? Just because it didn't come off that way publicly doesn't mean that isn't essentially what he told each of them privately. IMO, Fisher is pretty adept at talking publicly w/o saying very much about what's actually occurring internally. So, I suspect what he discussed with each is a lot different than what he has said publicly.

Also tend to think you're making WAY too much of both Hill & Davis' mindset. If either one of them is going to turn into emotional jello because of the changes made, the timing of those changes, or the reasons for them and let those factors impact their confidence and/or ability to play their best, they're doomed anyway. Every player that comes into the league knowing there is always another player trying to take their job and it could happen at any time.....unless you're a perennial Pro Bowler or someone of that stature.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think he is a huge uipgrade over Davis. I will say Davis had me fooled the first couple games but he quickly reverted back to his old self once teams adjusted.
While I *hope* you are right, the sad truth is that when a QB struggles, it's easy to think ANYONE is a "huge upgrade". Because while they're on the bench, you can't be proven wrong.

If Hill comes in and stinks the place up (or gets hurt again), the guy with the higher ceiling now has to come back in without any reason to have any confidence in himself or his coach (which is my way of saying that I don't buy the idea that Davis' great early stats were about having anyone "fooled" until "adjustments" were made.)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions about what Fisher said when to the players. Do we know he didn't say exactly what I've highlighted in blue to them? Just because it didn't come off that way publicly doesn't mean that isn't essentially what he told each of them privately. IMO, Fisher is pretty adept at talking publicly w/o saying very much about what's actually occurring internally. So, I suspect what he discussed with each is a lot different than what he has said publicly.

Also tend to think you're making WAY too much of both Hill & Davis' mindset. If either one of them is going to turn into emotional jello because of the changes made, the timing of those changes, or the reasons for them and let those factors impact their confidence and/or ability to play their best, they're doomed anyway. Every player that comes into the league knowing there is always another player trying to take their job and it could happen at any time.....unless you're a perennial Pro Bowler or someone of that stature.

Well let me then ask you this ,who exactly is making assumptions ? after ALL I'm pretty well quoting the man , and you are positing what you thought he might have said.

For me when he makes those sort of definitive statements he aught to be able to be taken at his word ,or just STFU .

I don't have any idea where the "emotional jello" comment comes from ,but I will say this trust is a vital component in any relationship and all I can go on is what I know and I know I would lose trust in someone who not once but twice reversed on those kind of pronouncements .

Coaches OFTEN express what Fisher did about Davis for the players benefit and confidence , I've heard them say it in videos played on analysis shows , so I doubt there was another message relayed , it was to keep the kid from looking over his shoulder and so he'd play without fear that he was going to be jerked if he had a bad half, I seriously doubt IF HE made the same declaration to Hill NOW ,it would have the desired effect ,I know I'd roll my eyes and say 'I've heard that before".
It's not the biggest deal I realize why Fisher is doing this he's getting desperate or even yielding to pressure from his assistants who want Hill, don't know for sure but the whole of it is he's trying to win and if it works this will blow over , but MAN if it doesn't there will be cursing and gnashing of teeth.

fearsomefour

Legend
Okay agreed , Davis has not played as well as he started , what QB doesn't play worse on the road ? The elites?

That said , I'm not questioning THE DECISION , as far as I'm concerned the coaching staff knows far better than any of us who gives the team the best chance to win ,which plays to call against the defenses they are seeing , I always have loved being in the enviable position as a coach that players went head to head and won their starting spot that way.

When Fisher was saying Hill gets the job back when healthy I was one of the people who said it was the right thing BECAUSE it was what the coach wanted and knew best ,when he changed course I went along reluctantly because Davis was playing pretty well and had a future the team could avail itself of for what could easily be as long term as the Gary Kubiak experience was in Denver.

Here are just some of my concerns now: For all his efforts to instill in his Qb's that they didn't NEED to look over their shoulder and therefore become tentative because they were afraid to make the mistake that would bring the hook, he can't do that now, I think both these guys know better NOW.

I don't know Hill's home situation , but it's my guess that he's heard everything at home people heard on the radio from Brenda Warner ,hell hath no furry like a woman who thinks her husband has been scorned ,so how do ya think the conversation went when Hill told his wife he was back in?

Tactical error , Fisher told Davis first , suppose Hill did what Kurt Warner did when Martz tried to bench Bulger and refused to displace the guy, there is NFL film on that .

What Fisher should have done from the beginning is to have said "as long as I /we believe the guy who is starting gives the best chance too win ,he will continue to start,but this business is totally performance based and every player on the team must know he has to perform to keep his job,they do pretty well already and I won't try to make them think differently ,I have no plans to keep a short leash on Austin ,it's his job but he has to earn it ,as his body of work expands he will be evaluated, I didn't make this decision in haste Austin has earned more starting time ,this is in no way indicates a lack of confidence in Shaun , he's plenty good enough to start for this team ,it's an expression of confidence in Austin".

The trick to coaching is getting the players to let you coach them and that begins with their belief in what you say,it's impossible for me to believe in a roster with 60 disparate personalities there aren't any who are cynical enough to have lost confidence in what this HC has to say.

"Choose your words carefully and try to make them tasty ,some day you may need to eat them" ....................Unknown
Honestly I never got the big issue with swapping QBs out. They are professions who are getting paid. The press always act like a QB getting benched is an emotional blow they can't recover from. I think Davis will handle this well and Hill handled it like he what he is....a pro.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nada.. Hill is a statue in the pocket and will have the same terrible WR corp and OL that Davis had.. Kenny Britt was 3rd string at Tennessee Titans last year.. feed on that

Both false. Hill works the pocket so well he just doesn't have to scramble much. When he needs to scramble, he does it well.

The WRs have been outstanding. Rams just haven't gotten them the balls.

Ramathon

Honestly I never got the big issue with swapping QBs out. They are professions who are getting paid. The press always act like a QB getting benched is an emotional blow they can't recover from. I think Davis will handle this well and Hill handled it like he what he is....a pro.

Thank you.