Can Rams win with Hill?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Hill the missing piece to having a winning season?

• Total voters

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not sure why people seem to think Hill is NOT mobile. Because of his age? He actually is quite mobile, he just doesn't run around when its not necessary. I saw someone mention he isn't much taller than Davis. Well, he IS 6'3, so I would say that is a dramatic difference, and simply from an experience standpoint, figures not to be as rattled when facing the heavy doses of blitzing opponents have been deploying against Davis.

I have never said he was "the answer" to all the QB woes, but he does provide a change of pace, and will be less likely to make the crucial turnovers that has plagued Davis. And when there are plays to be made (when receivers get behind the secondary), I have little doubt Hill will manage to get them the ball. He will be more accurate, (and I am not talking just about completion percentage).

He will get the ball out on time, and know where to go with it before the pressure gets to him. He will take hits along the way, but I will be surprised if the sacks against doesn't go down. Being "mobile" does not mean running around. For all his athleticism (scrambling "ability"), Davis ran himself into more sacks than simply staying in the pocket and getting the ball out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure why people seem to think Hill is NOT mobile. Because of his age? He actually is quite mobile, he just doesn't run around when its not necessary. I saw someone mention he isn't much taller than Davis. Well, he IS 6'3, so I would say that is a dramatic difference, and simply from an experience standpoint, figures not to be as rattled when facing the heavy doses of blitzing opponents have been deploying against Davis.

I have never said he was "the answer" to all the QB woes, but he does provide a change of pace, and will be less likely to make the crucial turnovers that has plagued Davis. And when there are plays to be made (when receivers get behind the secondary), I have little doubt Hill will manage to get them the ball. He will be more accurate, (and I am not talking just about completion percentage).

He will get the ball out on time, and know where to go with it before the pressure gets to him. He will take hits along the way, but I will be surprised if the sacks against doesn't go down. Being "mobile" does not mean running around. For all his athleticism (scrambling "ability"), Davis ran himself into more sacks than simply staying in the pocket and getting the ball out.
Good post. I remember way back in the spring when Hill was signed to replace the departed Clemens, how many people were happy with the "upgrade" to Hill. Not sure how Hill has fell so far without even playing.
I look forward to seeing what he's got

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
They can't win with Davis any longer. I want to see what Keenum can do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to be positive, being the homer that I am...Hill looks great often...It makes you wonder 'Why isn't he an NFL Starter in this League?"...and then he throws the critical pick at the worst time....:unsure:

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With Hill in there. .... we BETTER get that running game on track! and I mean well over 100 yds. per game on track. Hill won't have the mobility to extend plays like Davis does. He's going to need the running game to open PA for him. Davis' problem is blitz recognition and trying to make the "hero play". Love his moxie ... but the kid just needs to mature ... then I think he will be Ok. At least a solid #2

I think that's all myth. Hill is mobile and AD didn't extend plays very much at all after the first few games. He had at least one game i remember with zero receptions outside of the pocket.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
we BETTER get that running game on track! and I mean well over 100 yds. per game on track.
to this point, the bronco's are 32nd in the league in creating fumbles, in their opponents rushing game. ( per. SportingCharts.com) This should help.

Rambition

Rookie
Not sure why people seem to think Hill is NOT mobile. Because of his age? He actually is quite mobile, he just doesn't run around when its not necessary.
yeah, i don't get that either. i think he's at least passably mobile. no one's going to mistake him for RGIII, but he's not nearly the statue that lots of people keep making him out to be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's not the answer but if he can eliminate the turnovers from the QB position it will help.
The team as a whole still needs to play a full 60 minutes.

jjab360

Legend

6'3 is dramatically taller than 6'2? :confused:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't think there's much of an upgrade, I HOPE his accuracy is better, I HOPE his play calling is better, but he doesn't really have any game-time experience either, so who can say if he's going to be an upgrade or not.

QB turnovers aren't the only things to correct with this team, but it seems people are convinced that Davis has lost us every game and with the games we won, he didn't have anything to do with it, I guess we were just lucky...

Lets see what Hill can do on Sunday and talk about it then - if we win, then we can proclaim him the next Warner, and we're off to the Superbowl, then when we lose, we can call for his head...

Lets hope he can take the hits for 4 quarters in a real game-time situation...

fearsomefour

Legend
Didn't vote it's a push poll ,even if he does win it will prove nothing especially if the defense doesn't give up the lead to a backup QB when they have a team and stadium on the ropes.
Of the three turnovers that culminated in the roof falling in against the Cardinals ONE was Davis fault but ALL are being laid at his door ,and by people who know what I say there is true.
Davis has not played well the last couple of weeks. Just not the turnovers but missing open receivers, holding the ball ect. The offense came to a complete stop in the second half vs. Arizona. I am not bashing on Davis as he was sort of thrown into the situation and overall accounted himself decently I think. I think he is worth bringing back to compete for a back up roll. I think we will Davis again before the season is over, hopefully some time in a backup roll will slow things back down for him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Davis has not played well the last couple of weeks. Just not the turnovers but missing open receivers, holding the ball ect. The offense came to a complete stop in the second half vs. Arizona. I am not bashing on Davis as he was sort of thrown into the situation and overall accounted himself decently I think. I think he is worth bringing back to compete for a back up roll. I think we will Davis again before the season is over, hopefully some time in a backup roll will slow things back down for him.

Okay agreed , Davis has not played as well as he started , what QB doesn't play worse on the road ? The elites?

That said , I'm not questioning THE DECISION , as far as I'm concerned the coaching staff knows far better than any of us who gives the team the best chance to win ,which plays to call against the defenses they are seeing , I always have loved being in the enviable position as a coach that players went head to head and won their starting spot that way.

When Fisher was saying Hill gets the job back when healthy I was one of the people who said it was the right thing BECAUSE it was what the coach wanted and knew best ,when he changed course I went along reluctantly because Davis was playing pretty well and had a future the team could avail itself of for what could easily be as long term as the Gary Kubiak experience was in Denver.

Here are just some of my concerns now: For all his efforts to instill in his Qb's that they didn't NEED to look over their shoulder and therefore become tentative because they were afraid to make the mistake that would bring the hook, he can't do that now, I think both these guys know better NOW.

I don't know Hill's home situation , but it's my guess that he's heard everything at home people heard on the radio from Brenda Warner ,hell hath no furry like a woman who thinks her husband has been scorned ,so how do ya think the conversation went when Hill told his wife he was back in?

Tactical error , Fisher told Davis first , suppose Hill did what Kurt Warner did when Martz tried to bench Bulger and refused to displace the guy, there is NFL film on that .

What Fisher should have done from the beginning is to have said "as long as I /we believe the guy who is starting gives the best chance too win ,he will continue to start,but this business is totally performance based and every player on the team must know he has to perform to keep his job,they do pretty well already and I won't try to make them think differently ,I have no plans to keep a short leash on Austin ,it's his job but he has to earn it ,as his body of work expands he will be evaluated, I didn't make this decision in haste Austin has earned more starting time ,this is in no way indicates a lack of confidence in Shaun , he's plenty good enough to start for this team ,it's an expression of confidence in Austin".

The trick to coaching is getting the players to let you coach them and that begins with their belief in what you say,it's impossible for me to believe in a roster with 60 disparate personalities there aren't any who are cynical enough to have lost confidence in what this HC has to say.

"Choose your words carefully and try to make them tasty ,some day you may need to eat them" ....................Unknown

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Choose your words carefully and try to make them tasty ,some day you may need to eat them" ....................Unknown

Hence the true issue here. Too much time talking to the media. Clearly, he hadnt reveiwed the game with his offensive coaches and wasnt in a position to say Davis was still the starter when he did. It was Monday, he was asked the question, and he answered it by rote

Its just too much IMO.

Post game presser? Fine

Then stay out of the limelight until Thursday, or just say "We're going to Cincinatti"

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay agreed , Davis has not played as well as he started , what QB doesn't play worse on the road ? The elites?

That said , I'm not questioning THE DECISION , as far as I'm concerned the coaching staff knows far better than any of us who gives the team the best chance to win ,which plays to call against the defenses they are seeing , I always have loved being in the enviable position as a coach that players went head to head and won their starting spot that way.

When Fisher was saying Hill gets the job back when healthy I was one of the people who said it was the right thing BECAUSE it was what the coach wanted and knew best ,when he changed course I went along reluctantly because Davis was playing pretty well and had a future the team could avail itself of for what could easily be as long term as the Gary Kubiak experience was in Denver.

Here are just some of my concerns now: For all his efforts to instill in his Qb's that they didn't NEED to look over their shoulder and therefore become tentative because they were afraid to make the mistake that would bring the hook, he can't do that now, I think both these guys know better NOW.

I don't know Hill's home situation , but it's my guess that he's heard everything at home people heard on the radio from Brenda Warner ,hell hath no furry like a woman who thinks her husband has been scorned ,so how do ya think the conversation went when Hill told his wife he was back in?

Tactical error , Fisher told Davis first , suppose Hill did what Kurt Warner did when Martz tried to bench Bulger and refused to displace the guy, there is NFL film on that .

What Fisher should have done from the beginning is to have said "as long as I /we believe the guy who is starting gives the best chance too win ,he will continue to start,but this business is totally performance based and every player on the team must know he has to perform to keep his job,they do pretty well already and I won't try to make them think differently ,I have no plans to keep a short leash on Austin ,it's his job but he has to earn it ,as his body of work expands he will be evaluated, I didn't make this decision in haste Austin has earned more starting time ,this is in no way indicates a lack of confidence in Shaun , he's plenty good enough to start for this team ,it's an expression of confidence in Austin".

The trick to coaching is getting the players to let you coach them and that begins with their belief in what you say,it's impossible for me to believe in a roster with 60 disparate personalities there aren't any who are cynical enough to have lost confidence in what this HC has to say.

Of course, no one knows what goes on in the locker room.

So I think we look at some decisions and put ourselves in the situation. How would we feel? How would we react?

I think your thoughts are fair in that light.

You want to believe the words your boss says, especially if they are words of encouragement said with confidence.

If I'm Hill, I'm not sure what to expect at this point.

I don't think I would be comfortable that the job is mine.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Davis is 6' 2"
Hill is 6' 3"

So 1 inch in height will make that much difference? Really?

Not sure, but when I've watched Hill it has never been an issue for him, while it obviously has with Davis. Maybe it's not the height, but he obviously can't see well down field and can't see over guys, and somehow Hill can.

Teran

UDFA
Hill is much better at tracking movement in the secondary, both before and after the snap. My biggest question is can he keep ahead of the rhythm of the game and keep track of his receivers after taking a few thigh stinging shots.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not sure, but when I've watched Hill it has never been an issue for him, while it obviously has with Davis. Maybe it's not the height, but he obviously can't see well down field and can't see over guys, and somehow Hill can.
That's tough to do when your on your back.