Camp Report 8/2/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cracengl

Rookie
You have a far better memory than I do Coach. Thanks for this post.

I rarely hear anyone mention McDonald in these posts. Is that because he's just doing his job quietly? Or maybe it's just harder to notice a SS when they are not primarily in pads...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have a far better memory than I do Coach. Thanks for this post.

I rarely hear anyone mention McDonald in these posts. Is that because he's just doing his job quietly? Or maybe it's just harder to notice a SS when they are not primarily in pads...

Thanks, but the memory isn't what it used to be, hence the note taking while at Rams Park. LOL

As to your question about McDonald. He has been steady but just hasn't had many FLASH plays. He tends to get lost in the shuffle, especially in the 11 on 11 stuff. H eis primarily "in the box" and draws the 2nd TE in coverage frequently. While he has a hard time staying with Cook on a regular basis, he usually does a decent job when lined up against the others. (Kendricks or Harkey). He seems to be comfortable in the scheme, and I would anticipate a productive year out of him.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks again for everything Coach! As another poster asked; do you know what was up with Quick today?

I did respond to the other poster. Heard unofficially, he has some tightness in his back.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Thanks to all the Rammers at camp, and reporting back to those of us that can not make it. This is one of my favorite times of year, full of hope and optimism. your reports are looked forward to daily and trusted to be informative. The days of the beat writer keeping us objectively informed and up to date are loooooooong goooooone.

FRO

Legend
One thing I would like to add is EJ Gaines looks like a very good player. When I watched him at Mizzou he looked like a second or third round pick. I think he is a guy that can play on the boundary in the NFL. Had a very good day of practice.

Also in the meeting with Snead he talked highly of Darren Bates. I think the reason a LB wasn't drafted was these guys are very high on Bates and Armstrong. That may be misguided or right on. Time will tell.

Really loved what I saw from Bradford and Bailey.

Aaron Donald looks so short standing next to our DTs. The guy is legit though. So glad we picked him.

I've been at all the scrimmages at the dome, this is the best the offense looked. In 2012 I wondered if we could win games. This year this is the most excited I have been for a season to start.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Great stuff Coach, thanks!

Bailey is gonna be missed the first 4 weeks.. he's going to have a great season.
should've just beaten his girlfriend. only would've gotten 2 games :palm:. Thanks Roger

Alan

Legend
FRO sounding good:
One thing I would like to add is EJ Gaines looks like a very good player. When I watched him at Mizzou he looked like a second or third round pick. I think he is a guy that can play on the boundary in the NFL. Had a very good day of practice.
That is really good to hear. :)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 158

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ok coach0, another great report. Who says you need a notepad? Offense didn't look that bad huh? Did Pead get a chance to block? Man I wish I could see Ray Ray vs Benny....As I could imagine, Ray Ray is too light in the pants, and Benny's a workout monster. Perhaps there's a lil psychology going on there? What was your impression of the backup DB's? How about McGee, he really looked a lot better today? Oh, Donald was running through the starters?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ok coach0, another great report. Who says you need a notepad? Offense didn't look that bad huh? Did Pead get a chance to block? Man I wish I could see Ray Ray vs Benny....As I could imagine, Ray Ray is too light in the pants, and Benny's a workout monster. Perhaps there's a lil psychology going on there? What was your impression of the backup DB's? How about McGee, he really looked a lot better today? Oh, Donald was running through the starters?

Pead worked with the Kickoff return team (as the #1 KR) and did the unit drills with the RBs. He is doing what he can with a cast on his right hand, so to answer your question, NO he did not participate in the pass blocking drills.

McGee had a better day, including getting reps as the Nickel with the 1st unit. He''s gonna have to put a few of these back to back before I will feel more comfortable with him. AS to the rest of the CBs, Gaines still is the most polished, and made a couple of plays today, both in 7 on 7's and 11 on 11. Reid had his FIRST PBU on an out route, and funny thing about that was, Armstrong kept turning and yelling at him that the out was coming. So he jumped the route run by Blake.

Philly5

Rookie
The season really comes down to the OL. We need a fast start and good health.

Sounds like we will really miss Bailey for 4 games.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Also in the meeting with Snead he talked highly of Darren Bates. I think the reason a LB wasn't drafted was these guys are very high on Bates and Armstrong. That may be misguided or right on. Time will tell.

Really loved what I saw from Bradford and Bailey.

Aaron Donald looks so short standing next to our DTs. The guy is legit though. So glad we picked him.

I've been at all the scrimmages at the dome, this is the best the offense looked. In 2012 I wondered if we could win games. This year this is the most excited I have been for a season to start.
how much better does the O look when compared to '12 or '13 training camps. Could u use a scale of say 1-10?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
how much better does the O look when compared to '12 or '13 training camps. Could u use a scale of say 1-10?

After ONE week of training camp, (8 practices) I would give them about a 7. Compared to the past 2 years, not even in the same zip code as far as talent. I am trying to temper my enthusiasm, because they just haven't been in pads that much yet, (nor will they). I am really looking forward to seeing how they line up against another team, and see how much practicing against this defense will impact the offense.

And, of course, we have yet to see the entire offense together as a complete unit. Till then, its just a guess.

RamsesIII

UDFA
Followed your reports for years, CoachO, on another forum. Didn't care for the people on the forum, so never joined it. Like this one much better & it's time to say thank you for your reports.

FRO

Legend
After ONE week of training camp, (8 practices) I would give them about a 7. Compared to the past 2 years, not even in the same zip code as far as talent. I am trying to temper my enthusiasm, because they just haven't been in pads that much yet, (nor will they). I am really looking forward to seeing how they line up against another team, and see how much practicing against this defense will impact the offense.

And, of course, we have yet to see the entire offense together as a complete unit. Till then, its just a guess.
This was going to be my exact answer. In years past we struggled to separate from the DBs in the pass game. Completions were hard to come by. Most of the stuff completed was underneath, mainly because that's what it had to be. I remember in 2012 it was terribly bad. 13 was better, but it wasn't great. 14 looks very good. The thing that sucks is Bailey's suspension. He may be the best receiver on the team. Out of he, Austin, Britt, and Quick (going off everybody's reports here because I haven't seen Quick) we have a much better group of WRs. Last year Pettis and Givens were our top 2 WRs and while they are good role players, they proved they aren't starting quality.

I would say Bradford has improved, but I'm not sure if it's that or the receiver play was much better. In years past he had to throw perfect passes to get completions. With improved receiver play he is hitting guys who have broke free from coverage. He is still hitting them between the numbers though and the velocity has been great. You really can't tell the guy is coming off injury. I think he is going to have a big year.

I also think this will be our best running team maybe in the 20 years the team has been here. Yes Marshall and Steven were superior RBs to the guys we have now. That being said we will run 3 deep with guys who can really run the ball. Stacy is short, but he is thick. Going to be hard to tackle him. He is one cut and go. Really like his game. Cunningham looks better than he did last year, and I like what he did last year. I'm really high on Cunningham. Mason looked very good in the live stuff yesterday. I love his game coming out of Auburn and I think he can be very good. With Saffold and Robinson manning the OG spots this run game should be potent.

The offense looks in good shape and I'm optimistic. The line has to stay healthy as does the QB. All we need is about 24 ppg out of the offense with the defense that we have.

Alan

Legend
RamsesIII taking the plunge:
Followed your reports for years, CoachO, on another forum. Didn't care for the people on the forum, so never joined it. Like this one much better & it's time to say thank you for your reports.
Good move Ramses. CoachO deserves the praise and he's not the only good read you'll find on this board. Probably one of your better decisions in deciding to join the ROD community. ;) The best and most knowledgeable Rams forum there is so there's always going to be some good stuff to talk about/read here. :)

We frequently use blue font when we're just joking around so if you come across something in that font color don't take it at face value (except when applicable). :LOL:

We also have a members map which shows you where most of our members are. Stop by and pin your location. I promise that most of us won't stop by your house to borrow money.

Stop by the Re: Introduce Yourself thread and tell us a little more about yourself if you'd like.
images
donothing.jpg

JS-Hawkeye

UDFA
Name
JS
Any news on LB Pat Schiller's status? Read he did not practice yesterday, but no mention of a specific injury. Any insight would be much appreciated.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
CoachO; I sure would like to know what the Coaches are up to in the middle of this photo?
image.jpg