Camp Report 8/2/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A320driver

Rookie
I heard an unofficial report that Quick was having some tightness in his back.. He was limited yesterday in terms of the total number of reps compared to previous days. (Editor's Note: might be from carrying the team the first week of camp) LMAO!!!!!

Travis Bond is one guy I want to see perform in the Preseason. He definitely passed the "eye test" and is every bit as big as G. Robinson. He has been primarily at RG with the 2nd unit since training camp has started. Moves pretty well for his size, and another one of those guys when he gets his hands on you its over.

Robert Person has Practice Squad written all over him. He is a little bigger this year, but just seems to struggle when facing the top units.about as good as one could hop

Jake Long looks about as good as one could hope for in his limited time back. Shaking off the rust, and using his experience while squaring off vs. Quinn.

I heard that Jake is feeling pretty good, and he's confident he'll be ready..on another note..Do you mean Mike Person ..Coach ?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard that Jake is feeling pretty good, and he's confident he'll be ready..on another note..Do you mean Mike Person ..Coach ?

YEs, not sure where the Robert Person came from,,,, must have been past by bedtime when I posted that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I also think this will be our best running team maybe in the 20 years the team has been here. Yes Marshall and Steven were superior RBs to the guys we have now. That being said we will run 3 deep with guys who can really run the ball. Stacy is short, but he is thick. Going to be hard to tackle him. He is one cut and go. Really like his game. Cunningham looks better than he did last year, and I like what he did last year. I'm really high on Cunningham. Mason looked very good in the live stuff yesterday. I love his game coming out of Auburn and I think he can be very good. With Saffold and Robinson manning the OG spots this run game should be potent.

The offense looks in good shape and I'm optimistic. The line has to stay healthy as does the QB. All we need is about 24 ppg out of the offense with the defense that we have.

Of all the RB's, only Pead's pre-NFL film is as impressive as Benny's. That guy was a power & speed combo that really compares well to HOF-type runners. If he has regained all of the speed he showed in college, watch out for him.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CoachO; I sure would like to know what the Coaches are up to in the middle of this photo?View attachment 2520

This is a 7 on 7 drill, and the Coach Facing Sam is Frank Cignetti, his QB coach. The guy right in front of him is not a coach, but the guy snapping the ball to Sam in the drill. The other guy facing away from Sam, is Rob Boras, I believe, the TEs coach.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is a 7 on 7 drill, and the Coach Facing Sam is Frank Cignetti, his QB coach. The guy right in front of him is not a coach, but the guy snapping the ball to Sam in the drill. The other guy facing away from Sam, is Rob Boras, I believe, the TEs coach.
Thanks Coach, I had no idea what they were up to!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
YEs, not sure where the Robert Person came from,,,, must have been past by bedtime when I posted that.

Yep you had that Robert vs Mike going now in many posts with all that you have been up too I got used to it!:) I call Greg...:whistle: Gerald for a few months back myself.

So we have seen Barrett Jones, Rodger Saffold & now Davin Joseph sitting out? We know Saffold has an injury but you said that Joseph was back at his normal ORG but then said above he was down? Wells & Long limited looks like we are down five of our main OL'ers for availability to do a full practice? Guess we will see more of Bond-Person-Hooey-Rhaney types.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yep you had that Robert vs Mike going now in many posts with all that you have been up too I got used to it!:) I call Greg...:whistle: Gerald for a few months back myself.

So we have seen Barrett Jones, Rodger Saffold & now Davin Joseph sitting out? We know Saffold has an injury but you said that Joseph was back at his normal ORG but then said above he was down? Wells & Long limited looks like we are down five of our main OL'ers for availability to do a full practice? Guess we will see more of Bond-Person-Hooey-Rhaney types.

Jones has been M I A for the past two days. No reports on what is going on with him. Joseph left practice EARLY on Friday, but was back up and manning the RG spot at the dome.

Saffold, it appears suffered a stinger on Friday, (I didn't think it was his hand or wrist as was reported), so he should be back in the mix in a few days.

Wells & Long are gradually getting more involved in the 11 on 11 stuff, but even when they are considered back to 100%, I don't imagine they will ever be out there for every rep.

At this point, I think the best thing that can happen for this team, on both sides of the ball, is to play a game against someone else. As Fisher has said more than once, they are playing hard, but are "protecting their teammates" which can also expose them to things if they aren't going full speed.

FRO

Legend
Of all the RB's, only Pead's pre-NFL film is as impressive as Benny's. That guy was a power & speed combo that really compares well to HOF-type runners. If he has regained all of the speed he showed in college, watch out for him.
I don't agree with this. Stacy had some nice physical runs in college. I remember him dragging the Kentucky defense into the endzone. Mason had some great plays in college as well. Pead was flashy, but to be honest I never really liked the pick. I thought at most he would be a situational back.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't agree with this. Stacy had some nice physical runs in college. I remember him dragging the Kentucky defense into the endzone. Mason had some great plays in college as well. Pead was flashy, but to be honest I never really liked the pick. I thought at most he would be a situational back.

You have a tendency to hold on to those kind of feelings with a lot of guys. If you didn't like the pick then, you don't seem to come around said player very often.

And assuming you are right about him being a situational back, is that such a bad thing? If he becomes a VERY GOOD situational back?

Alan

Legend
CoachO with a well known truism:
As Fisher has said more than once, they are playing hard, but are "protecting their teammates" which can also expose them to things if they aren't going full speed.
Funny that. But true.
Speaking of really bad songs with really good visuals:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hey. thats cool...I wouldn't want someone to agree with me all the frickin time..Just not real...Let me explain, While physical runners are impressive, shoot I'd love a Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell type, Stacy size & injury history says he'd last longer if he made dudes miss more. Mason, to me, is exactly like Stacy with more speed but less size. To me, these are injuries/concussions waiting to happen. I like elusive backs at 5'9-5'10 & 200+ lbs..To be an effective power back, I like 'em 6'1+-220+ lbs, yeah that's a one-cut, downhill runner. Pead is a really sweet runner, not really powerful. Benny is a really fast runner, but has a bunch of power. The thing that is working so well for our little power backs is vision. But in the NFL, you can't see everything.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jones has been M I A for the past two days. No reports on what is going on with him. Joseph left practice EARLY on Friday, but was back up and manning the RG spot at the dome.Saffold, it appears suffered a stinger on Friday, (I didn't think it was his hand or wrist as was reported), so he should be back in the mix in a few days. Wells & Long are gradually getting more involved in the 11 on 11 stuff, but even when they are considered back to 100%, I don't imagine they will ever be out there for every rep. At this point, I think the best thing that can happen for this team, on both sides of the ball, is to play a game against someone else. As Fisher has said more than once, they are playing hard, but are "protecting their teammates" which can also expose them to things if they aren't going full speed.

Barrett Jones has been getting a very heavy dose of his first real TC since the very initial beginning of TC & earlier the OTA's. What since 7-25-14 so missing the last two 8-1 & 92 is not a big deal when Boudreau has a fully operating Tim Barnes & rookie Rhaney! Add in that veteran starting center Scott Wells is doing more & more this week. One would expect that Jones new repaired foot from last year surgery may be real sore?? Bottom line on Barrett from all that could be found & read is he has held up well for a first year TC working with the ones & two's! This is positive(y).

Having Saffold & Long both not available due to not being 100% healthy for OLT practice is sure to get 3rd OLT Greg Robinson some heavy duty in that post....wondering who is the other Ram OLT's???? Person? Hooey? Washington?

FRO

Legend
You have a tendency to hold on to those kind of feelings with a lot of guys. If you didn't like the pick then, you don't seem to come around said player very often.

And assuming you are right about him being a situational back, is that such a bad thing? If he becomes a VERY GOOD situational back?
That's inaccurate. I didn't like the Brockers pick. I was dead wrong there. I wanted Malaluga(sp?) over Laurinaitis. Dead wrong there. There have been plenty of instances where I didn't like the pick and was wrong. To date the 2 guys I've been hardest on, Quick and Pead, have produced almost nothing. If they show up I will be the happiest person in the world and I will be more than happy to say I'm wrong.

FRO

Legend
Hey. thats cool...I wouldn't want someone to agree with me all the frickin time..Just not real...Let me explain, While physical runners are impressive, shoot I'd love a Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell type, Stacy size & injury history says he'd last longer if he made dudes miss more. Mason, to me, is exactly like Stacy with more speed but less size. To me, these are injuries/concussions waiting to happen. I like elusive backs at 5'9-5'10 & 200+ lbs..To be an effective power back, I like 'em 6'1+-220+ lbs, yeah that's a one-cut, downhill runner. Pead is a really sweet runner, not really powerful. Benny is a really fast runner, but has a bunch of power. The thing that is working so well for our little power backs is vision. But in the NFL, you can't see everything.
I don't know Frank Gore has lasted a long while and that's who Stacy compares to.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Mmmmhhhhhhhmmmmm... We all know you been hitting the beer stand at training camp Coach.

christian-bale-and-kermit-the-frog.gif

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Uh huh... Pretty soon you'll be screaming "GET LOW AND STICK EM!"

God help me and everyone else if I turn in to THAT guy.. and the scary thing is,, he is SOBER when he does that. UGH!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
God help me and everyone else if I turn in to THAT guy.. and the scary thing is,, he is SOBER when he does that. UGH!

Hahahahaha I almost want to call off work one of these days just to go see that guy.

Thanks for taking the time to write up the report, and answering questions. Look forward to reading these every time I log on. (y)