Camp Report 8/2/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/2/14 Fan Fest at Edward Jones Dome

***** DISCLAIMER***** This is from memory. No notes were taken due to location of Practice!

Players not participating: Christian Bryant; Johnny Millard; Kadeem Jones, Jarrid Bryant; Janoris Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, William Hayes, Barrett Jones, Davin Joseph, Lamarcus Joyner; Rodger Saffold; Brian Quick, Trey Watts

Sammy Brown dressed and participated in unit drills, no team drills

Isaiah Pead dressed, and participated in unit drill as well as Special Team drill, no team drills (offense)

Jake Long and Scott Wells participated in the unit drills, limited reps in teams drills

James Laurinaitis sighting, IN A WALKING BOOT

Michael Brockers (foot/ankle) leave practice early with injury….. YES again today!

FULL PADS for the first time in 2014

Offense:

1st Unit: Started team drills with Long , Robinson, Wells, Joseph, Barksdale

· This unit got more reps in live drills and seem to be progressing.

o Once Wells and Long sat down, Barnes took virtually all the snaps at Center, due to B. Jones not being active

o Davin Joseph was back at his customary RG spot

o Mike Person manned the LG spot with Robinson moved out to LT.

o Another day featuring Austin and Bailey with the “1’s” with Kenny Britt sprinkled in on the 3 WR sets.

Defense:

1st Unit: Long Brockers Langford Quinn; MLB- Dunbar SLB- Ogletree; WLB- Armstrong; Johnson; McGee; McLeod; McDonald

· With Laurinaitis out, Dunbar took all the reps at MLB, with Armstrong taking the WLB reps

· With Jenkins out, McGee took his reps, and with Joyner out, Woodard came in and McGee slid to the Nickel

· When Brockers went out with the ankle issue, Aaron Donald stepped in with the “1’s”

2nd Unit: Sam Carrington Conrath Sims Steward Bates Wilson Woodard Gaines C. Davis Alexander

· With Armstrong moving up, Lawrence Wilson moves up to take the WLB reps with Bates and Steward at the other 2 LB spots

Theme of the day: “Where’s Waldo? Or half the starters for that matter?”

Again, many of the main characters are M I A.

Special Teams:

Kickoff Return

1st Unit:

Daniels Steward Armstrong Bates Reynolds C. Davis Harkey Barnes Conrath Cunningham Pead (returner)

2nd Unit:

Alexander Wilson Ogletree Dunbar A. Hill Blake Brodine Washington Watts Veltung (returner)

3rd Unit:

Moe Schiller Harris A. Cunningham Sabino Woodard Rhaney Sam Gaines Givens (returner)

Kickoff Coverage:

1st Unit: McDonald Daniels B. Cunningham McLeod Zuerlein Bates C. Davis Harkey Reynolds McGee

7 on 7 & 11 on 11 Drills:

Highlights:

PLAY OF THE DAY: Bradford to Britt on a 60 yard bomb - perfectly thrown Britt catches it in stride, behind Woodard

Stedman Bailey PLAYER of the day!!!! He and Bradford had something going early and often in the 11 on 11. First two plays went for 22 and 25 yard gains.

LB Aaron Hill (a local kid from Lutheran HS in St. Charles, MO) had a big day…. Would have registerd TWO sacks and had a nice INT off of Austin Davis

Greg Zuerlein had the crowd roaring during FG session hit his first 5, from distances that started out at 35, gradually moving back to hitting one EASILY from 55

o Attempted TWO 65 yard kicks only to fall short, but the crowd AND teammates were cheering him on!

Offense as a whole moved the ball very well in the 11 on 11 drills.

Lowlights:

Offense gets stuffed TWICE at goalline.

Brockers going down for the second day in a row with an ankle issue.

Revolving door on the O-Line. Just too many guys missing practices.

Shawn Hill falls down while in drop back, and ends up doing full somersault

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

* Pass blocking drill with TEs and RBs in blitz pickup *

o Armstrong squared off with Bennie Cunningham and took exception to being blocked and spun around on 1st rep. Shoving match ensued. Followed by the biggest collision of 2014 on next round. Armstrong came full speed at Cunningham trying to just over power him, only to be stood up, and stopped in his tracks by Bennie Lots of trash talking and finger pointing, and surprise, plenty of antics from Armstrong. Bottom line he got STUCK by Cunningham and didn’t take it too well.

o Stacy was hit and miss, whiffing completely twice, and getting a good block on the 3rd

o Mason, well, let’s just say it’s a good thing he can run the ball

o Ogletree was unblockable. It was like anyone trying to block him was just standing in quicksand.

o There was a Jared Cook sighting blocking a LB. Yes, I said he BLOCKED a LB

o Harkey is a beast

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Started team drills with Long , Robinson, Wells, Joseph, Barksdale

o Armstrong squared off with Bennie Cunningham and took exception to being blocked and spun around on 1st rep. Shoving match ensued. Followed by the biggest collision of 2014 on next round. Armstrong came full speed at Cunningham trying to just over power him, only to be stood up, and stopped in his tracks by Bennie Lots of trash talking and finger pointing, and surprise, plenty of antics from Armstrong. Bottom line he got STUCK by Cunningham and didn’t take it too well.

Joseph was a great investment, he's already helped our line a lot.

And great to hear about my boy Cunningham, if he can pass block like that, he might solidify his role and get lots of carries.

FRO

Legend
I had Robinson playing LT and Person playing LG once Long went out. Had a hard time blocking Quinn, but who doesn't?

A55VA6

Legend
Great stuff Coach, thanks!

Bailey is gonna be missed the first 4 weeks.. he's going to have a great season.

RustyRay

Rookie
Coach, First thanks so much for taking the time to report daily, its much appreciated sir.

What is going on with Quick, I have read his is out but I have seen nothing as to why?

Any info on the Saffold injury? How did Jake Long look in his limited reps? I would imagine its a huge boost since team 11's are a step below actual full go.

Does Person look like a good back up T? The Rams could sure use a young one.

I have seen some recent notes about the FA G the Rams picked up from the Panthers Travis Bond more so today, any thoughts on him?

Good to hear Bennie holding up in pass blocking drills.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had Robinson playing LT and Person playing LG once Long went out. Had a hard time blocking Quinn, but who doesn't?

I did see that some too, and like I said at the top, no notes so I really didn't have a good feel for what they were doing,. There are so many guys missing, these lineups mean very little to me.

FRO

Legend
Coach, First thanks so much for taking the time to report daily, its much appreciated sir.

What is going on with Quick, I have read his is out but I have seen nothing as to why?

Any info on the Saffold injury? How did Jake Long look in his limited reps? I would imagine its a huge boost since team 11's are a step below actual full go.

I have seen some recent notes about the FA G the Rams picked up from the Panthers Travis Bond more so today, any thoughts on him?

I think Saffold just had a stinger.

FRO

Legend
I did see that some too, and like I said at the top, no notes so I really didn't have a good feel for what they were doing,. There are so many guys missing, these lineups mean very little to me.
No big deal. I tried keying on Robinson. The key to that offense is the line. Bradford looks great. We have a great stable of backs. We have seen solid things from our receivers. The season hinges on the line. When the starters are in there things are great.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I heard an unofficial report that Quick was having some tightness in his back.. He was limited yesterday in terms of the total number of reps compared to previous days. (Editor's Note: might be from carrying the team the first week of camp) LMAO!!!!!

Travis Bond is one guy I want to see perform in the Preseason. He definitely passed the "eye test" and is every bit as big as G. Robinson. He has been primarily at RG with the 2nd unit since training camp has started. Moves pretty well for his size, and another one of those guys when he gets his hands on you its over.

Robert Person has Practice Squad written all over him. He is a little bigger this year, but just seems to struggle when facing the top units.about as good as one could hop

Jake Long looks about as good as one could hope for in his limited time back. Shaking off the rust, and using his experience while squaring off vs. Quinn.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No big deal. I tried keying on Robinson. The key to that offense is the line. Bradford looks great. We have a great stable of backs. We have seen solid things from our receivers. The season hinges on the line. When the starters are in there things are great.

I am curious to hear your take on the Armstrong/B. Cunningham tussle. I know I have a blind spot when it comes to Ray Ray, but I thought he looked like a fool out there with how he reacted to Cunningham. So I am interested in hearing from someone else who was there and watched it.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Can't wait to see the game day line up with Quick, Britt, and Bailey lined up with Stacy in the backfield. That foursome will be the best group of skill position talent we've had in a long while.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Thanks again for everything Coach! As another poster asked; do you know what was up with Quick today?

FRO

Legend
I am curious to hear your take on the Armstrong/B. Cunningham tussle. I know I have a blind spot when it comes to Ray Ray, but I thought he looked like a fool out there with how he reacted to Cunningham. So I am interested in hearing from someone else who was there and watched it.
My brother was watching it, I was watching the one on ones and I missed it. Armstrong is very passionate, however he can cross the line and be wreck-less. He needs to tone it down a notch. I like his physical ability, it just needs to be harnessed.

I did catch some Ogletree in the blocking drills, and you were dead on with him, guy is unblockable. I hope he gets to blitz a lot. Guy was impressive.

PolarBear

Rookie
I heard an unofficial report that Quick was having some tightness in his back.. He was limited yesterday in terms of the total number of reps compared to previous days. (Editor's Note: might be from carrying the team the first week of camp) LMAO!!!!!

Travis Bond is one guy I want to see perform in the Preseason. He definitely passed the "eye test" and is every bit as big as G. Robinson. He has been primarily at RG with the 2nd unit since training camp has started. Moves pretty well for his size, and another one of those guys when he gets his hands on you its over.

Robert Person has Practice Squad written all over him. He is a little bigger this year, but just seems to struggle when facing the top units.about as good as one could hop

Jake Long looks about as good as one could hope for in his limited time back. Shaking off the rust, and using his experience while squaring off vs. Quinn.
I really hope Boudreau gets Bond prepared this year to take over at OG next year or in a couple of years after Robinson replaces Long so we don't have to spend a draft pick on a starting og. Robinson, Bond, Jones or draft pick, Saffold, Barksdale...That is a lot of huge men on that oline. I think bond could become a really good og in the future under Boudreau.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
As always thanks for the report. I thought long looked good when he was out there. All three of the running backs looked good, they will make a great three headed monster. Bradford is looking great and seems to have a total mastery of this offense.

Dick84

Coach... Thanks for the read.

I'm totally intrigued by Bond. Who knows if he turns out... But he's huge, young & has some experience. Maybe he's a guy that's ready to step up.
Huge man.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Joseph was a great investment, he's already helped our line a lot.

And great to hear about my boy Cunningham, if he can pass block like that, he might solidify his role and get lots of carries.

I'm not ready to say he has arrived as a pass blocker, but he is better than he was this time last year. This exchange with Armstrong was just a case of one guy getting a hardon, and trying to take his head off, and he stood in and actually delivered the bigger shot. This was like the old fashioned, ONE ON ONE who can hit who the hardest within the 2 yard box.