Camp Report 8/12/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have the Rams talked about a joint practice vs a preseason opponent this year? I love what New England is doing last week with Washington and now this week with Philadelphia this week. They are practicing against each other all week then playing the pre season game. Hearing interviews with the players they are getting double the reps they would if it was a team practice. Seems like a good idea, has there been any conversation with the Rams doing this?

There are a few teams doing this, but I have heard nothing from Rams Park of any interest in doing it. I know Fisher and Martz tried it back in the day, and I recollect that it didn't go very well.

I think with the overall youth on this team, They may be afraid to expose these guys for fear of it getting out of control. Youth = exuberance. Not necessarily a good thing if you cannot control what the other team is doing.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
There are a few teams doing this, but I have heard nothing from Rams Park of any interest in doing it. I know Fisher and Martz tried it back in the day, and I recollect that it didn't go very well.

I think with the overall youth on this team, They may be afraid to expose these guys for fear of it getting out of control. Youth = exuberance. Not necessarily a good thing if you cannot control what the other team is doing.

Exhibit A for not having a joint practiceo_O

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...s-dallas-cowboys-bw-webb-joint-practice-brawl

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dude, its the Raiders and Cowboys, neither teams does anything well lol. You need good leadership to do this. Fisher has been around a while, thought he a staff he could trust could pull something like this off.
back in the day, this practice/scrimmage was my first look at grown men hitting. I was truly a sight. the LB's for Dallas...a bunch of Raiders....some dudes that got cut....I mean the hitting was....intense...twice a day....

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Hey Coach, with all of the talk about our secondary it seems Woodard doesnt get much attention yet he's above guys like Gaines, Roberson, Reid, etc etc. What are your thoughts on him? Does he really have a chance to push out someone like Gaines?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hey Coach, with all of the talk about our secondary it seems Woodard doesnt get much attention yet he's above guys like Gaines, Roberson, Reid, etc etc. What are your thoughts on him? Does he really have a chance to push out someone like Gaines?

At this point, I would say Gaines has passed him up. I think they Woodard enough that he will prevent guys like Roberson and Reid from any serious consideration. He has his moments on coverage, at least in practice, but then as was the case last year, and again last week, he seems to make a play come game time.

The thing that concerns me with him, is the same thing that pops out at me regarding the "other guys" below him on the depth chart. They just don't show up on Special Teams.

lockdnram21

Legend
At this point, I would say Gaines has passed him up. I think they Woodard enough that he will prevent guys like Roberson and Reid from any serious consideration. He has his moments on coverage, at least in practice, but then as was the case last year, and again last week, he seems to make a play come game time.

The thing that concerns me with him, is the same thing that pops out at me regarding the "other guys" below him on the depth chart. They just don't show up on Special Teams.

I'm not sure but if this is true but somebody posted something on another site and said that Roberson was on one of the kick coverage teams vs saints.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure but if this is true but somebody posted something on another site and said that Roberson was on one of the kick coverage teams vs saints.

He got one rep with the 3rd unit late in the game. so I guess that counts. I guess Roberson is this years Ray Ray all off of one preseason game. I just don't see it happening. If Jenkins, McGee and Woodard, who went out of the game early with some sort of injury are all dressed and included, Roberson would be listed somewhere around 7th or 8th out of 9 CBs.

Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines, McGee, Woodard.... then take your pick Roberson, Reid and J. Bryant.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Roberson may have only gotten two special teams reps (he also was out there on punt return later in the game) - but he did make a special teams tackle.

Having said that - after watching and re-watching - coach O is right - Roberson leaves quite a bit to be desired as a tackler and taking on blocks. It shows up plenty in the game. He can cover tho.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
He got one rep with the 3rd unit late in the game. so I guess that counts. I guess Roberson is this years Ray Ray all off of one preseason game. I just don't see it happening. If Jenkins, McGee and Woodard, who went out of the game early with some sort of injury are all dressed and included, Roberson would be listed somewhere around 7th or 8th out of 9 CBs.

Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines, McGee, Woodard.... then take your pick Roberson, Reid and J. Bryant.

When was the last time we had a position battle with this much debate and competition? It's awesome.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
When was the last time we had a position battle with this much debate and competition? It's awesome.
What I find somewhat amusing, is the 'battle" is over who the SIXTH CB may end up being. when's the last time people were this concerned over what amounts to the 51st, 52nd, or 53rd player on the roster?

Dick84

I know they're young.. very.. but I'm excited about the Rams' corners. Gaines seems to be an absolute steal. Fingers crossed.. it's way early.

lockdnram21

Legend
What I find somewhat amusing, is the 'battle" is over who the SIXTH CB may end up being. when's the last time people were this concerned over what amounts to the 51st, 52nd, or 53rd player on the roster?
I just asked because I remember you saying that he wasn't on any special teams unit and I remembered somebody mentioning that he was on kick coverage vs saints. The reason I speak on him so much is because of how he was looked at as 3rd round pick before combine. But I noticed that he doesn't like to tackle in saints game. He was decent in coverage though

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I just asked because I remember you saying that he wasn't on any special teams unit and I remembered somebody mentioning that he was on kick coverage vs saints. The reason I speak on him so much is because of how he was looked at as 3rd round pick before combine. But I noticed that he doesn't like to tackle in saints game. He was decent in coverage though

Of all the UDFA DBs he probably has the best cover skills. But I just don't think they are in a position to keep a 6th CB if he doesn't want to tackle, which has prevented him from showing up on ST. And maybe I am wrong in how I look at it, but if you aren't running with the 1st or 2nd unit on any of the ST, you aren't in the mix.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Glad to hear Wells is looking good. Center is the most underrated position in football.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
When was the last time we were ONLY concerned about the 51st- 53rd spots on the roster.
Heck, most are also concerned we're not going to have enough spots on our practice squad.

It's nice to finally see a wealth of young talent on our beloved Rams squad.
It's a great time to be a fan.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
When was the last time we were ONLY concerned about the 51st- 53rd spots on the roster.
Heck, most are also concerned we're not going to have enough spots on our practice squad.

It's nice to finally see a wealth of young talent on our beloved Rams squad.
It's a great time to be a fan.

The thing I think may be happening, and not so sure its a good thing, many seem to be over valuing some of these UDFA's, thinking it would somehow be devastating if they "got away". I get that a few of them are decent prospects, but how is it a bad thing that they aren't good enough to make this roster?

In the past, it was a foregone conclusion this organization needed to find a few of those "diamond in the rough"types, just to fill the holes on the roster. Now, these guys face a serious uphill battle to even make the roster. Maybe its just me, but I see this as a positive. And the thought of "losing" some of these guys isn't as much of a risk as it once may have been.

Look at the Gerald Rivers case from just one year ago. Everyone thought he was one of those special players who the organization let "slip through their fingers". But here we are this year, and Rivers has been replaced by more than one player who are considered upgrades. And where is Rivers now?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The thing I think may be happening, and not so sure its a good thing, many seem to be over valuing some of these UDFA's, thinking it would somehow be devastating if they "got away". I get that a few of them are decent prospects, but how is it a bad thing that they aren't good enough to make this roster?

In the past, it was a foregone conclusion this organization needed to find a few of those "diamond in the rough"types, just to fill the holes on the roster. Now, these guys face a serious uphill battle to even make the roster. Maybe its just me, but I see this as a positive. And the thought of "losing" some of these guys isn't as much of a risk as it once may have been.

Look at the Gerald Rivers case from just one year ago. Everyone thought he was one of those special players who the organization let "slip through their fingers". But here we are this year, and Rivers has been replaced by more than one player who are considered upgrades. And where is Rivers now?
Cutting talented players is a good problem to have. It's not something we Rams fans are use to dealing with.
Also. I think fans tend to get attached to the players. As difficult it is for the fans to let go, it has to be even tougher on the coaches.

Many of our past cuts are no longer in football. (That goes for most of our past starters, as well)
I think teams are watching to see who we'll be letting go this year.

Definitely understand the "diamond in the rough" analogy. There is something exciting about finding that 1 great player every other team passed on.