Camp Report 8/12/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/12/14

Players not participating:; Kadeem Jones, Rodger Saffold, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones, James Laurinaitis, Michael Brockers, Darren Woodard, Matt Daniels, William Hayes

Isaiah Pead, participated in Special Team drills and RB unit drills (with cast on his right hand)
Janoris Jenkins, participated in DB unit drills,, no team drills..

Today’s Attire: SHOULDER PADS and shorts

Offense:

1st Unit: Long , Robinson, Wells, Joseph, Barksdale--- HARKEY, Kendricks, Cook, Quick, Britt, Bailey, Austin, Pettis--- Stacy, Mason, Cunningham

2nd Unit: Person, Van Dyk, Barnes, Bond, Hooey---Bayer, J. Cunningham, Quick, Britt, Bailey, Givens, Pettis, Austin, Blake, Veltung--- Mason, Reynolds, Austin

3rd Unit: Person, Van Dyk, Rhaney, Morrel, Dill --- Smelley, Bayer, J. Cunningham, Blake, Givens, Veltung, Harris, Franklin, Moe--- Mason, Reynolds, Watts

Defense:

1st Unit:
Long, Langford, Carrington, Quinn---Ogletree, Dunbar, Armstrong---Johnson, McGee, McLeod, McDonald, Joyner (Nickel)

2nd Unit: Sam, Conrath, Donald, Sims---Steward, Bates, Wilson---Reid, Roberson, Davis, Alexander, Gaines (Nickel)

3rd Unit: Sam, Westbrooks, Harlan, K. Brown---Sabino, Schiller, Millard--- Reid, J. Bryant, A. Cunningham, C. Bryant, Gaines (Nickel)

Theme of the day: Lets get physical

Not tackling in practice, but definitely a "thud" practice

• LBs, and DBs work on form tackling drills in unit drills
  • CBs work on Press (bump and run) drills
  • RB/LB pass blocking/blitz drills
  • DL spent a ton of time on the sleds
Running drills: Split the O-line in half, and dedicated running game.
  • Greg Robinson can run block!!!! Pulls outside, and cleans up LB, wasn't fair!
  • Offensive Line was very physical in this drill
11 on 11 Drills:

Mixed up units--- for the first time, 1's vs. 2's in initial part of drill
  • primarily Nickel situations on defense.
  • DBs had a nice day.
  • McLeod INT on tipped ball from Hill
  • McDonald with nice PBU closing on seam route by Austin
  • Cody Davis made a couple of nice plays in coverage, both near the LOS, and in deep single high position
  • Reid had a nice PBU in 7 on 7 drill
2 Minute drill:
  • Both 1st and 2nd Unit offense did well,
  • 1st unit scores with a minute left no clock

Observations:

Emotional moment of practice: Michael Sam and Joe Barksdale exchange blows in scrap. Barksdale blocked Sam, continued beyond whistle, Sam took exception and shoved back,, and off they went.

Another somewhat sluggish practice from a offense/defense standpoint. After one 11 on 11 session was completed, Fisher could be heard saying Special Teams work, "thank God" .

This team has the look of a team who needs to be playing someone else. And they are missing some key veterans to keep them focused on the task at hand. (Laurinaitis, Brockers, Jenkins, Saffold)

Mike Person took reps at Center during the Running game drills.

IMG_4834[1].JPG

IMG_4829[1].JPG

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Coach0, great report, glad you let us know that Harkey runs with the 1's! lol
I'm a lil worried about Hill playing behind that #2 O-Line.....anybody else? Pierson at center...Good. Beginning of the end.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Its all good, thank you as always for the report

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Question for you CoachO, is Alexander lining up mainly at SS or did he and Davis switch up at times? And also I know they are running with different units but do they ever have Alexander and McD on at the same time ever so far?

Thanks again for the reports as always.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Its all good,, just caught me on a bad day!!!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Question for you CoachO, is Alexander lining up mainly at SS or did he and Davis switch up at times? And also I know they are running with different units but do they ever have Alexander and McD on at the same time ever so far?

Thanks again for the reports as always.
McDonald and Alexander have NEVER been on the field at the same time, they are definitely playing the same position.

Davis is clearly the FS in this scheme as is McLeod. So no, Davis and Alexander do NOT switch it up. Depending on the specific call, Williams may send Davis on a blitz or rotate him up in coverage, but they are playing two distinctly different positions.

If you are hoping to hear that Alexander may challenge for the starting job along side McDonald, you can put that idea to rest. I isn't happening this year. I have said this all along, and don't see anything to make me change my opinion, Alexander will be this years version of Ray Ray on Special Teams. If he is lining up at Safety after Sept 1st, it will be scary.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
McDonald and Alexander have NEVER been on the field at the same time, they are definitely playing the same position.

Davis is clearly the FS in this scheme as is McLeod. So no, Davis and Alexander do NOT switch it up. Depending on the specific call, Williams may send Davis on a blitz or rotate him up in coverage, but they are playing two distinctly different positions.

If you are hoping to hear that Alexander may challenge for the starting job along side McDonald, you can put that idea to rest. I isn't happening this year. I have said this all along, and don't see anything to make me change my opinion, Alexander will be this years version of Ray Ray on Special Teams. If he is lining up at Safety after Sept 1st, it will be scary.

Cool thanks.

Was wondering if would challenge to start next to McD. But was also wondering if they just had any packages with the two together.

Thanks for the insight. Hope Alexander can eventually work his way into a starting role someday. I like him as a player but still question on his need.

Hows he lookin on ST in practice?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Cool thanks.

Was wondering if would challenge to start next to McD. But was also wondering if they just had any packages with the two together.

Thanks for the insight. Hope Alexander can eventually work his way into a starting role someday. I like him as a player but still question on his need.

Hows he lookin on ST in practice?

He looks very good on ST. He just is still catching up from missing all of the OTAs, and its obvious he isn't there yet. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him and McD ever playing together.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Person at center is intriguing, how did he look there?

He looked comfortable. I have been expecting this actually. He has experience doing it. And actually if you pay any attention to these things (which I obviously do), in the pregame warmups, he was snapping to Hill, while Rhaney snapped to Davis. Wells was with Bradford, and Barnes with Gilbert.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He looks very good on ST. He just is still catching up from missing all of the OTAs, and its obvious he isn't there yet. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him and McD ever playing together.

So what role do you see him having in the future besides special teams? #2 SS only?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So what role do you see him having in the future besides special teams? #2 SS only?
Well, considering its day 18 in his first training camp, that is impossible to predict. But based on where he is right now, yes, that's a pretty good guess.

The athleticism is there, but his read and reactions aren't at this point.