Camp Report - 8/10/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Sam and the other QBs would have looked better without the drops on Thursday. Can you rank WRs hands best to worst as well as TEs & RBs in your opinion through camp?

IMO Sted looks like the most natural catcher in the group

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
rams24/7 said:
Sam and the other QBs would have looked better without the drops on Thursday. Can you rank WRs hands best to worst as well as TEs & RBs in your opinion through camp?

IMO Sted looks like the most natural catcher in the group

I pay ZERO attention to what WRs do or don't do when I watch and try to evaluate the QBs. All they can do is get the ball where it needs to go, WHEN it needs to get there. If its dropped or caught has no bearing on the QB performance in my mind.

Catching the football is more about concentration than it is about "hands". there are guys out there than make circus catches everyday, which demonstrate having very good hands, who then turn around and DROP balls that hit them between the numbers.

For what its worth, the guys who seem to catch the ball on a more consistent basis, have been:

Bailey; Pettis; Austin; Cook; Lutzenkirchen; Harkey; Ganaway; Helmick (when he was out there); Cunningham; Reynolds

Guys who show they CAN catch the football, but have their share of drops:

Quick; Pead; McNeill; Givens; N. Johnson; Blake; Veltung; Stacy; Richardson

Guys who struggle catching the ball consistently:

Radway; Fields; Graham; Potter (doesn't get many balls thrown his way); Prince

Kendricks get an "incomplete" in that he has yet to be on the field.

Obviously this is purely a subjective list based on nothing other than my observations.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO being modest:
Obviously this is purely a subjective list based on nothing other than my observations.

Hey, you're there watching them every day so it's good enough for me to be a major factor in my decision making. :bg:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lots of great info here Coach. Thanks for not only being there and bringing us these reports but also answering the questions. Most of the questions I had have been asked and answered. Cool deal.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Thanks for the answers CoachO. Got a couple more questions.

Who is the best lead run blocker from a traditional FB spot on the team?

And do you see any surprise cuts or players possibly making the final 53?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I appreciate these POV's and daily breakdowns.
Thanks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:

The guy who is getting those reps is Harkey. Obviously, this is and will be Kendricks role, but Harkey is getting plenty of work there in the meantime.

Stevens takes his turn with the 2's and 3's, but there is a noticeable difference when Corey Harkey is leading someone thru the hole and Erik Stevens is doing it.

The other thing that I haven't really talked a lot about. All we have heard throughout the preseason, is how they will look for mismatches with their personnel. On more than one occasion, they have employed the "2 back" personnel grouping, with Harkey and Richardson/Pead in the backfield. This forces the defense into the Base 4-3, and they line up Austin in the slot and he is now working on a LB. Good luck with that!!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
CoachO said:
Memphis Ram said:

The guy who is getting those reps is Harkey. Obviously, this is and will be Kendricks role,

The other thing that I haven't really talked a lot about. All we have heard throughout the preseason, is how they will look for mismatches with their personnel. On more than one occasion, they have employed the "2 back" personnel grouping, with Harkey and Richardson/Pead in the backfield. This forces the defense into the Base 4-3, and they line up Austin in the slot and he is now working on a LB. Good luck with that!!!!
Nice formation,especially with Kendricks and his ability to both block AND get out in space as a pass catcher.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams probably disagree, but I really believe that they'd be better off with at least ONE legit FB capable of playing some H-Back on the roster vs. having all TE/H-Back types. IMO, that same personnel grouping could be even better if both backs were a threat to run the football and if one of the backs were a strong lead blocker.

Kendricks was great at the wham blocks coming in motion, but as a lead blocker straight into the hole, I wasn't nearly as impressed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:
The Rams probably disagree, but I really believe that they'd be better off with at least ONE legit FB capable of playing some H-Back on the roster vs. having all TE/H-Back types. IMO, that same personnel grouping could be even better if both backs were a threat to run the football and if one of the backs were a strong lead blocker.

Kendricks was great at the wham blocks coming in motion, but as a lead blocker straight into the hole, I wasn't nearly as impressed.

They don't use it enough to warrant a roster spot devoted to "just a FB". They are not going to use the Power running game that we have become so accustomed to. The days of lining up, and playing smash mouth are over. Can they do it when they need a yard or two. YES.

But this running game will be more traps, and stretch runs trying to get guys on the edge. When they do choose to run inside, Kendricks and his "wham" blocks will be key.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I can see where having "just a FB" could be a problem. It is for most teams. But, a FB type capable of handling some of the same H-Back duties and run the ball could make the offense even more explosive, IMO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:
I can see where having "just a FB" could be a problem. It is for most teams. But, a FB type capable of handling some of the same H-Back duties and run the ball could make the offense even more explosive, IMO.

and how often do you really see that as happening? 5 times a year? even when they had THAT guy, he's not getting carries. Waste of a roster spot ,, but that's just me!

Memphis Ram

Legend
CoachO said:
Memphis Ram said:

and how often do you really see that as happening? 5 times a year? even when they had THAT guy, he's not getting carries. Waste of a roster spot ,, but that's just me!

It really depends upon what you are talking about.

Catches?
The right guy could catch as many passes filling an H-Back role than any other backup H-Back.

Carries?
Depending upon the player and the situation, he might get 5-15. But, the threat to run the football is still alive when the other back motions out of the backfield. That goes away completely with the current setup.

Finally that guy could prove to be either a good short yardage option or able to take some carries in a pinch if too many RBs go down in a game. Unless, the plan is to go into each game with 4 RBs active on gameday, I think it's a good idea. Especially, since one could get hurt during kickoffs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Coach,whats your take on Hekker getting a few reps at QB early on in TC? I'm assuming that he hasn't gotten any reps since then weeks ago. What were they looking at? Just an emergency QB situation or trick plays?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
mojorizen7 said:
Coach,whats your take on Hekker getting a few reps at QB early on in TC? I'm assuming that he hasn't gotten any reps since then weeks ago. What were they looking at? Just an emergency QB situation or trick plays?

He continues to take reps after practice with the rookies. IT say two things to me. Tim Lewis is that bad. And yes, as an EMERGENCY ONLY option he could step in if need be.

I was really kinda dismissing it when I first saw it, but given its still happening, and that he is actually in the huddle and calling plays tells me they want him to know the terminology.

Beyond that, I have no idea why or what they have in mind. Although I will say this, if people think he's gonna be the 3rd QB, stop. If you watch the results, he isn't there yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
mojorizen7 said:

He continues to take reps after practice with the rookies. IT say two things to me. Tim Lewis is that bad. And yes, as an EMERGENCY ONLY option he could step in if need be.

I was really kinda dismissing it when I first saw it, but given its still happening, and that he is actually in the huddle and calling plays tells me they want him to know the terminology.

Beyond that, I have no idea why or what they have in mind. Although I will say this, if people think he's gonna be the 3rd QB, stop. If you watch the results, he isn't there yet.
I wonder if Fisher's gonna do that Rich Brooks thing where they come out of punt formation and have Hekker line up under center to draw in the return team. Keith Lyle (high school QB) used to come out of the upback position and sneak under center which would draw the defense in and make them scramble, thus giving the gunners a quicker route to the returner. Lyle also used to take advantage of those situations and throw a few passes too.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
CoachO said:
mojorizen7 said:

I wonder if Fisher's gonna do that Rich Brooks thing where they come out of punt formation and have Hekker line up under center to draw in the return team. Keith Lyle (high school QB) used to come out of the upback position and sneak under center which would draw the defense in and make them scramble, thus giving the gunners a quicker route to the returner. Lyle also used to take advantage of those situations and throw a few passes too.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Both as a last resort thing (only keeping 2 QB's?) and for trick plays.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
Any UDFA that makes a team and is actually at least a decent back up is totally unexpected to me. It would be pure gravy if we can get 2 or 3 good players using this avenue. :ja: I see that as a possibility.
Safety Cody Davis appears to fit this group. taking reps with 2 unit
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain seeing a diamond in the rough:
Safety Cody Davis appears to fit this group. taking reps with 2 unit

Cody, Helmick and Ray Ray all have possibilities. They seem to have done a great job assessing UDFAs again. We'll see how it looks after preseason eh?