Camp Report - 8/10/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/10/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo;; Matt Giordano; and Zac Stacy; Terrance Ganaway; Rodger Saffold (was at practice, NOT WEARING a SLING)

Andrew Helmick; Sammy Brown, and Jabara Williams were dressed and participated in units drills, but no TEAM DRILLS

Matt Daniels and Nick Johnson participated

Offensive Line:

Interesting development in the Offensive Line Units:

1st Unit: Long S. Smith Wells Dahl Barksdale

2nd Unit: Nsekhe C. Williams Barnes Washington B. Jones

3rd Unit: Nsekhe Barnes B. Jones Lee C. Williams

LG rotation holds true for another day

• It is very apparent that they will consider moving guys around in order to find the depth they are looking for in the event Safffold is out for any extended time.

• (editorial comment): It appears they would rather slide C. Williams to RT and let S. Smith slide in at LG then to use Ty Nsekhe as the 4th OT.

• The other option could be keeping C. Williams at LG, sliding S. Smith to RG (he took reps there Thursday) while moving Dahl to RT.

• This is why I have said this Offensive Line is a lot deeper than it looks on paper if you are trying to lock guys into certain positions. The real strength is the versatility these guys have.

• Washington and Nsekhe look more an more like practice squad candidates. And Sean Hooey did NOT see a snap during team drills.

Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens was taking all the 2nd unit reps; Austin Davis back to 3rd unit

This may have been Clemens’ best practice to date. He seemed much more confident and made some very good throws. Austin continues to have accuracy issues, throwing the ball at his target’s FEET during one passing drill (with NO defense)

Theme of the day: one of, if not the BEST PRACTICE of training camp. Both Offense and Defense just had that confident look about them. This is a team who looks like it’s coming together.

Bradford to Cook were unstoppable today. Whether in 7 on 7, or 11 on 11, they hooked up EVERY TIME Cook was targeted. There is a definite chemistry developing between them.

Janoris Jenkins vs. Chris Givens…. There is something going on between these 2. Janoris certainly dials up his intensity whenever he is lined up on Givens. 1 on 1; 7 on 7; 11 on 11. And this far, he OWNS Givens.

Daryl Richardson was explosive running the football

Cody Davis now taking all of his reps with the 2nd unit. He looks better and better everyday. Shows instincts. Fumble recovery.

Matt Daniels , getting 3rd unit reps alongside R. Hall

Bennie Cunningham got plenty of reps due to the absence of Ganaway AND Stacy. Ran well when given the opportunity. Pead looked explosive running the ball. Less than stellar in 1 on 1 passing drills vs. LB's. Dropped two balls.

SPECIAL TEAMS : PUNT COVERAGE (surprise, surpise, surprise)

• PUNT Teams: one of the things you could hear Coach Fassel stressing was making sure Hekker doesn’t OUT KICK the coverage. Focus on HANG TIME rather than distance.
o 1st Unit:
o Pointer McNeill Hull Armstrong McQuiade Sims Bates Harkey McLeod Reynolds Hekker
o 2nd Unit
o Bailey McDonald Ogletree Potter Hus J. Stewart Bodine Graham McGee Cunnigham Baer

Player Observations:
• One player who seems to be moving up the Depth Chart is Justin Veltung. He is getting 2nd Unit reps in the Slot. He shows good quickness and better than average hands.

Will Witherspoon was flying around today. Nice Interception during 11 on 11 vs. Clemens. Tipped the pass and caught the rebound.

Jake Long vs. Robert Quinn continues to be a mismatch in Long’s favor. Quinn just looks like a “one trick pony” and he does not fool Long one bit. If he can’t beat him off the ball, he’s toast.

Sam Bradford had perhaps his best practice of camp today. Not sure a single pass hit the ground. He looks CONFIDENT, ACCURATE, and in CONTROL

Another side note: Fisher spent more time on "conditioning" after practice than any other time throughout camp. Each unit ran "sprints" from sideline to sideline then shortened to hash marks to sidelines,, etc. For whatever reason, the Offensive Lineman ran more than any other unit, and they were gassed afterwards.

Last edited by CoachO on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
• It is very apparent that they will consider moving guys around in order to find the depth they are looking for in the event Safffold is out for any extended time.

• (editorial comment): It appears they would rather slide C. Williams to RT and let S. Smith slide in at LG then to use Ty Nsekhe as the 4th OT.

• The other option could be keeping C. Williams at LG, sliding S. Smith to RG (he took reps there Thursday) while moving Dahl to RT.

All makes sense to me based on what i have studied so far.

I thought Smith and Williams BOTH played better than Dahl in the game, and we all know how he played at RT when he had to. Nsekhe...I am done with him. I don't see it. Bark is the clear next tackle. I still think he is a more natural LT, although after a few reps, he got accustomed to the RT. We NEED to pick someone up here for depth.

I clearly saw conditioning as an issue, but I am not surprised, or worried. Different NFL, that's all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Love the continued intensity between Givens and Jenkins. That's gonna bode well for both of them.
And nice to hear that Fisher is putting an emphasis on conditioning. Dudes looked gassed last game.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great stuff CoachO!
I was wondering when someone would mention Veltung. I wouldn't go awarding that #6 WR slot to Radway or Helmick just yet.

You didn't mention Ray Ray. Where do you think he is on the depth chart?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Great stuff CoachO!
I was wondering when someone would mention Veltung. I wouldn't go awarding that #6 WR slot to Radway or Helmick just yet.

Armstrong is still getting 2nd unit reps. But not sure if that is because Jabara Williams has been out of action. Lets see what happens when Williams comes back, and that looks like its close to happening.

I may be in the minority here, but I just don't see him having much of an impact as a LB. He is noticeably LIGHT for aht position. but too big to play safety.

Can you say Special Teams?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Any UDFA that makes a team and is actually at least a decent back up is totally unexpected to me. It would be pure gravy if we can get 2 or 3 good players using this avenue. :ja: I see that as a possibility.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
How did Pead run? Did he look motivated after the game or discouraged?

Pead looked fine today.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
albefree69 said:
Great stuff CoachO!

Armstrong is still getting 2nd unit reps. But not sure if that is because Jabara Williams has been out of action. Lets see what happens when Williams comes back, and that looks like its close to happening.

I may be in the minority here, but I just don't see him having much of an impact as a LB. He is noticeably LIGHT for aht position. but too big to play safety.

Can you say Special Teams?
Hey, albes...Ray-Ray looked pretty good to me during my breakdown, MUCH stouter than I anticipated, and he plays fast foot wise, just needs to pick it up mentally a little.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Is Kendricks doing anything on the sidelines or just watching?

What's your take on Lutzenkirchen? Any chance he overtakes McNeil for a roster spot?

Eric Stevens stand any chance at making the roster? I noticed he's not listed with the special teams lineups you have listed (which probably answers my own question)?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:
Is Kendricks doing anything on the sidelines or just watching?

What's your take on Lutzenkirchen? Any chance he overtakes McNeil for a roster spot?

Eric Stevens stand any chance at making the roster? I noticed he's not listed with the special teams lineups you have listed (which probably answers my own question)?

It would be the shock of the year if Stevens lasts thru the FIRST cuts.

I like Lutzenkirchen, ALOT. The kid is just a FOOTBALL player. He doesn't look all that special physically. isn't the biggest guy on the field, especially in the TE group. But all he does is make plays when targeted. Does he beat out McNeill? 60/40 at this point in McNeill's favor IMO.

But, unless someone steps up and takes the 6th WR spot, it wouldn't surprise me at all, to see them keep 5 TEs. Especially given they are not likely to keep a FB. Kendricks AND Harkey will be in that role, so keeping five would allow them to keep both McNeill and Lutzenkirchen. And if you really want to be creative, Cook is more like the 6th WR anyway.

Kendricks has been working out with trainers on conditioning for the past week. Not EVERY DAY, but I'm sure he is getting closer to making his return. I'd be shocked if he's not back by NEXT Monday.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR RAM with new info:
Hey, albes...Ray-Ray looked pretty good to me during my breakdown, MUCH stouter than I anticipated, and he plays fast foot wise, just needs to pick it up mentally a little.

That's great to hear. He was one of those 2-3 guys I was talking about. ST this year and maybe more next year after he gets more of the mental part down. A year can do wonders. I got the impression he had good football instincts which in my mind is crucial for success.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
DR RAM with new info:

That's great to hear. He was one of those 2-3 guys I was talking about. ST this year and maybe more next year after ne gets more of the mental part down. A year can do wonders. I got the impression he had good football instincts which in my mind is crucial for success.
Yikes, I have to say, and I can not say this for sure, because the camera span was total shit. I think Ray-Ray was the contain man on the punt team that gave up the TD. That is OK though, he will learn. A lot of these guys never played ST in college, or were the star ST guys, returning and such.

I liked what I saw for a young player playing a new position.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Coooool. But did you get the sense it was the best practice because of the first preseason game? How did said energy was before the game compare to today? I would hope to read about this enthusiasm on a random mid-August Wednesday practice.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CoachO said:
Sam Bradford had perhaps his best practice of camp today. Not sure a single pass hit the ground. He looks CONFIDENT, ACCURATE, and in CONTROL
Were there any/many drops of Bradford passes?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
The other option could be keeping C. Williams at LG, sliding S. Smith to RG (he took reps there Thursday) while moving Dahl to RT.

This is what I'd feel most comfortable with IF Barksdale struggles.

But, of course, hope Barksdale kicks ass and Saffold has to earn his spot back!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
The other option could be keeping C. Williams at LG, sliding S. Smith to RG (he took reps there Thursday) while moving Dahl to RT.

So far, there is no reason to think Barksdale will struggle. He looks pretty good at RT. I think they are protecting themselves in the even they need a FOURTH Tackle to step in. Nsekhe clearly isn't the answer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:

So far, there is no reason to think Barksdale will struggle. He looks pretty good at RT. I think they are protecting themselves in the even they need a FOURTH Tackle to step in. Nsekhe clearly isn't the answer.
Which is also kinda weird. Boudreau was pretty high on Nsekhe last year and he did well in spot duty against CLE (I thought) and in camp last year according to reports. Now he looks like another who might have regressed. How's Nsekhe been during your times at camp (overall)?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
X said:
CoachO said:
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:

Which is also kinda weird. Boudreau was pretty high on Nsekhe last year and he did well in spot duty against CLE (I thought) and in camp last year according to reports. Now he looks like another who might have regressed. How's Nsekhe been during your times at camp (overall)?

He's without a doubt the most physically intimidating guy of the group. HE is ONE LARGE HUMAN BEING.

He has had flashes where he looks fine. but overall, his set is slow, and methodical. He "lumbers" against the smaller quicker DE's, but I will say this, if he gets his hands on a guy, its over.