Camp Report - 8/10/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nighttrain said:
albefree69 said:
Any UDFA that makes a team and is actually at least a decent back up is totally unexpected to me. It would be pure gravy if we can get 2 or 3 good players using this avenue. :ja: I see that as a possibility.
Safety Cody Davis appears to fit this group. taking reps with 2 unit
train

This is one of the areas that I have been the most impressed with in terms of how this organization does his homework, and identifies guys that are not drafted, but can still be brought in and COMPETE for a roster spot.

When looking at the 90 man roster throughout training camp, its pretty clear how this regime values "talent' over "camp bodies". The previous regime invested next to nothing when it came to filling out the training camp roster, and there were seldom more than one or two guys who even belonged in a NFL camp. They had ZERO chance of making an NFL roster.

What's apparent to me, and others who watch the practices, those kind of guys have been few and far between these past two camps. When they can bring in guys like Cody Davis, Ray Ray Armstrong, Jonathan Stewart, Robert Steeples, Bennie Cunningham, Andrew Helmick, Rashard Hall, Phillip Lutzenskirchen, Gerald Rivers, Daren Bates to name a few, all of whom look like they "belong", it speaks volumes to how this organization has gone about the business of upgrading this roster in a very short time.

Add these names to the likes of Johnny Hekker, Matt Daniels, Rodney McLeod, Matt Conrath, Austin Davis, Cory Harkey and its obvious how they have found players that others before them haven't bothered looking for.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Good job CoachO. You mentioned a couple more possibilities that I forgot like Cunningham, Lutzenskirchen and Steeples.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Good job CoachO. You mentioned a couple more possibilities that I forgot like Cunningham, Lutzenskirchen and Steeples.

I am not insinuating that they all will make the roster, but each and every one of these guys have shown they have what it takes to compete at this level.

This is a major shift in the philosophy of this organization of recent past.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yeah, I knew that. It's why I referred to them as possibilities. :bg:

I think the shift happened last year.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Thanks again to CoachO. I really enjoy the camp reports as well as everyone's perspective on here.