Cam Newton puts his foot in his mouth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No inconsistency. Actually the irony might be that you see no inconsistency with the notion of equality of opportunity and a brazen expression of racial superiority being expressed. I think you need to look up the gesture, and it's meaning in the Black Panther movement. A race war sound good to you, @Angry Ram ?

I'm sure you've experienced racism @Angry Ram and that must really suck. I am just consistent in that I will use MY right of free speech to speak out against it all.

I'm not gonna get into a race war on a Rams fan forum. I'm just looking at the broad spectrum of freedom of expression.

Everyone has the right to say/express what they want, whether you agree with it or not.

Problem is, there is always one side that gets butthurt on what the other says. Be it what Cam says or Robert Quinn does. Neither are physically hurting anybody nor are they advocating crime or violence. That's all the matters in my book. The butthurt that ensues needs to stop, though.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Neither are physically hurting anybody nor are they advocating crime or violence. That's all the matters in my book. The butthurt that ensues needs to stop, though.

So then if someone advocated white supremacy, a backlash to that should just be written off as "butthurt." ?

Angry Ram

So then if someone advocated white supremacy, a backlash to that should just be written off as "butthurt." ?

Again, I'm not gettin' into a race war.

Let's keep this about Cam Newton and how this is being blown way out of proportion.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Again, I'm not gettin' into a race war.

Let's keep this about Cam Newton and how this is being blown way out of proportion.
You don't? Maybe I misunderstood you then when you said folks like me are just "butthurt" when guys flash the black supremacy symbol. Just stickin' to Cam? By the way, I do agree with you that the comments are being over-blown.

~lyser

Rookie
It was the smirk.

I was on vacation with the GF in Maine last August (no kids) so we decided to do the mature thing one night and get ice cream for dinner. I ordered the "3 scoop" banana split. The girl behind the counter grabs the biggest oval shaped plastic container I have ever seen - it looked like it could hold one of those huge sub sandwiches they serve at parties. She puts about 15 scoops of ice cream in it along with all the other syrup and jelly-like fruit shit that goes with a banana split and...serves it to me with a smirk!

Fuck that. There is nothing more annoying than a smirk. Smirking conveys elitism, condescension, superiority and distaste all wrapped up in a single irritating gesture.

Hate the smirk.

So, I think to myself, "fuck this smirking bitch, I'll show her", and I dig in. I make sure she is watching and I power down the entire mountain of ice cream. I spoon up all the fruity strawberry and pineapple semi-solid jam-like goo. I finish the banana, the cherry and then I tilt the food trough the whole disgusting mess was served in and drink the last remnants of the sundae. At this point I am freezing, I am beyond nauseous and I have to put one hand on my buttocks in a futile attempt to hold back disastrously spraying my shorts with a fountain of hot shit as I stagger back into line.

I look the smirker straight in the eye and with as much courage and confidence as I can muster, I say "give me another, I would have ordered two if I knew they were going to be so small". The smirk had turned to surprise as I devoured the first ice cream monolith and now she took on an expression of absolute horror as I ordered seconds.

Satisfied that I had thoroughly wiped that condescending smirk off that jerk's face I grabbed the second sundae, staggered out the door and deposited it in the nearest trash recepticle along with the contents of my stomach.

My GF, who had been silent throughout the ordeal, finally looks at me and says "What the fuck was that all about?". I said simply, "She smirked".

Hate the smirk.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think Cam is more in awe that a someone that typically doesn't know the specifics of football (the woman) was asking a technical football question (his WRs' route running).

I don't know what there is to be in awe about. From my own experience I've known women who could discuss the intricacies of baseball and football just as well as I could. Anyone who wants to learn technicalities about sports can do it.
I don't know "typical". I just know there are millions of female sports fans out there and we really shouldn't be surprised when they're passionate or knowledgeable.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a statement, Panthers director of communications Steven Drummond said he spoke to Newton and Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue after Newton told Rodrigue it was “funny” to hear “a female talk about routes.”

“I have spoken with Jourdan and Cam and I know they had a conversation where he expressed regret for using those words,” Drummond said in a statement. “We strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable for everyone covering the team.”
Interesting take being that Jourdan claims this:
“I don’t think it’s ‘funny’ to be a female and talk about routes. I think it’s my job,” Rodrigue wrote. “I spoke with him after and it was worse. I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.”

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
QUOTE="Memento, post: 960771, member: 118"]As a female who discusses football, freak YOU, SCAM NEWTON![/QUOTE]

Uh, Lil darlin', if your done gettin' your apron all bunched up, how's bout gettin back to the kitchen and baking us some cookies while the men folk talk REAL football. ....And damn it, WHERE'S MY CHICKEN POT PIE, WOMAN!! :hiding:

(bluefont,bluefont,bluefont)

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Looks like she was taking some shots at him on Twitter prior to this so maybe that's what was in the back of Cam's mind.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Sometimes you just gotta say to yourself "hey, this is a high testosterone charged environment and maybe I should let some of this stuff roll off my back".

For her own career, (as I wish her personal success in such) she might want to pick her fights a little better than trying to take on the quarterback of the local team who people may worship for various reasons.

Now I would draw the line on any conversations or comments that regarded her and sex or if somebody touched her, but a general comment saying you find something funny because it's coming from a female is kind of a lightweight thing to make your point on.

Especially when she's been criticizing him on Twitter prior to this.

As a former reporter myself I realize that you have to develop a thick skin.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
As a female who discusses football, freak YOU, SCAM NEWTON!

Curious-- do you feel the same way when guys on this forum are posting pics and drooling over Dani Klupenger for her looks and not her sports expertise?

Last edited:

~lyser

Rookie
I know exactly how this lady feels. I recently signed up for a knitting class and the first night I asked the instructor "do you feel a Garter Stich will work here or do I need to go with Knit and Purl?".

I have never seen such smirking from a group of elderly ladies since I asked if we could change the channel from "Matlock" to the "Evening News" in my grandma's nursing home rec room.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Curious-- do you feel the same way when guys on this forum are posting pics and drooling over Dani Klupenger for her looks and not her sports expertise?

I don't like it, to be honest. I don't say it out loud, but I'm not a fan of it. Only reason I don't say it out loud is because I don't feel like fighting y'all over it.

Angry Ram

I don't know what there is to be in awe about. From my own experience I've known women who could discuss the intricacies of baseball and football just as well as I could. Anyone who wants to learn technicalities about sports can do it.
I don't know "typical". I just know there are millions of female sports fans out there and we really shouldn't be surprised when they're passionate or knowledgeable.

Sure, no one is stopping women to learn about sports, and yeah spend enough time anyone can learn about it. But my point is typically (and historically) you don't see that. Ask 10 random women outside what a WR route is, and all 10 are likely to stare at you like you're speaking Chinese.

Again, I'm not saying women can't or shouldn't know about the game. You just can't ignore that this is historically a male-dominated sport and is a new trend for women to be fans, even hardcore fans. So it's not surprising when an actual player is taken aback when a woman asks him a detailed football question.

Again, I don't think Cam meant any harm by this.

~lyser

Rookie
I thought he was flirting with her as well....

Yup, my flirting game also consists of completely demeaning the girl with something totally superficial such as her race, nationality or gender. I go heavy with the smirking and make her feel as stupid as I possibly can. Whatever she says I mockingly respond with a Nelson style "HA-ha".

Curiously, I usually sleep alone.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
I'm not a fan of judging people based on a couple body reactions.

I don't think he meant it as a condescending sexist, as what he's being painted out to be. I think he was just taken aback as I previously mentioned.

That in itself expresses a sexist sentiment that he would even be "taken aback". It's 2017, are you (Cam) really that naive that you're "taken aback" when a woman knows what she's talking about in football?

Someone else in media mentioned how offended would Cam be if Vogue said it was "funny" that a male knows fashion. Or "funny" that a football player went back to school to finish a degree.

Do you see how making presumptions about people is offensive?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
It was the smirk.

I was on vacation with the GF in Maine last August (no kids) so we decided to do the mature thing one night and get ice cream for dinner. I ordered the "3 scoop" banana split. The girl behind the counter grabs the biggest oval shaped plastic container I have ever seen - it looked like it could hold one of those huge sub sandwiches they serve at parties. She puts about 15 scoops of ice cream in it along with all the other syrup and jelly-like fruit crap that goes with a banana split and...serves it to me with a smirk!

freak that. There is nothing more annoying than a smirk. Smirking conveys elitism, condescension, superiority and distaste all wrapped up in a single irritating gesture.

Hate the smirk.

So, I think to myself, "freak this smirking bitch, I'll show her", and I dig in. I make sure she is watching and I power down the entire mountain of ice cream. I spoon up all the fruity strawberry and pineapple semi-solid jam-like goo. I finish the banana, the cherry and then I tilt the food trough the whole disgusting mess was served in and drink the last remnants of the sundae. At this point I am freezing, I am beyond nauseous and I have to put one hand on my buttocks in a futile attempt to hold back disastrously spraying my shorts with a fountain of hot crap as I stagger back into line.

I look the smirker straight in the eye and with as much courage and confidence as I can muster, I say "give me another, I would have ordered two if I knew they were going to be so small". The smirk had turned to surprise as I devoured the first ice cream monolith and now she took on an expression of absolute horror as I ordered seconds.

Satisfied that I had thoroughly wiped that condescending smirk off that jerk's face I grabbed the second sundae, staggered out the door and deposited it in the nearest trash recepticle along with the contents of my stomach.

My GF, who had been silent throughout the ordeal, finally looks at me and says "What the freak was that all about?". I said simply, "She smirked".

Hate the smirk.

That is the funniest thing I have ever read. (Sorry. I could only give you ONE thread winner.)

Edit: I have the hiccups now, and my work colleague thinks I'm high. Thanks, Icehole.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cannon has dropped Cam as a spokesman now.

Lol auto correct Dannon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.