Cam Newton puts his foot in his mouth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
What exactly NFL players protesting again ?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Hate the smirk.

355.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the bigger Cam Newton infraction was this....

https://www.google.com/search?q=cam..._AUIESgB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=PaQlzIjCoQgwoM:

Black power salute? You ok with this? It's too bad that the truth is not to be spoken. He can take his "Superman" racist ass and hit the road. Not acceptable. THIS is the true Cam Newton story.

On the field during a game is off limits and I hope the NFL addresses it. Stick to the pregame.

A Panthers spokesperson said Newton and Rodrigue had a conversation after the press conference in which Cam expressed regret for referencing gender in his response. Observer columnist Scott Fowler quoted Rodrigue as saying that Newton did not apologize, and Rodrigue wrote on her Twitter account, “I spoke with him after and it was worse. I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.”

If this is true I wish she would repeat what he said, I'm really curious.

After Newton’s pouty press conference following the Super Bowl 50 loss, Rivera came to his defense by saying this is a different generation of athletes. Well, let’s hold him to that same standard here. He is part of a different generation—supposedly one that’s more enlightened, more inclusive and more invested in equality for all.

This is SO true, but also todays athletes, at least the ones like Cam, are spoiled emotionally stunted immature brats.

Maybe I misunderstood you then when you said folks like me are just "butthurt" when guys flash the black supremacy symbol. J

A raised fist doesn't signify "black supremacy" it's a symbol of unity, solidarity and support.

It was the smirk.

I am the same way I hate a shitty little smirk.

As a former reporter myself I realize that you have to develop a thick skin.

I agree you have to have thick skin and IMO she demonstrated it by talking to him later and defending herself on twitter that she wasn't going to let him stop her from doing her job. But the thing isn't her thin or thick skin it's that he felt like it was OK to say what he said, and the evidently piled on more when they talked later.

Psycho_X

Legend
Just clicked her twitter profile and she has already had to issue an apology on it because her sudden surge in popularity due to this incident has dug up some tweets from 5 years ago she made that had offensive comments or words in them? You'd think, if you were going to get into a profession revolving around social media, that you would make new social media accounts for your profession and delete or not acknowledge your old stuff to make it at least harder for people to dig up racist or inappropriate rants you made on a drunken weekend night lol.

edit: And just to add, has anyone ever thought Cam Newton wasn't a gigantic douchebag? I don't think this is a big shock. Ever since watching that road to the draft program on ESPN with him starring on it you knew exactly what kind of person he is.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just clicked her twitter profile and she has already had to issue an apology on it because her sudden surge in popularity due to this incident has dug up some tweets from 5 years ago she made that had offensive comments or words in them? You'd think, if you were going to get into a profession revolving around social media, that you would make new social media accounts for your profession and delete or not acknowledge your old stuff to make it at least harder for people to dig up racist or inappropriate rants you made on a drunken weekend night lol.

Glass houses, etc.

Female Reporter Who Called Out Cam Newton For Sexist Comment Under Fire Over Old Racist Tweets

http://brobible.com/sports/article/female-reporter-cam-newton-racist/

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
A raised fist doesn't signify "black supremacy" it's a symbol of unity, solidarity and support.
Sorry, Les. We can disagree on this one. The litmus test for this one should be: Could any player, who's rights are equally protected, give the same gesture? After all, the raised fist does have a history in the white supremacy movement as well. The raised fist is a symbol of resistance, and separatist mentality. This is not going in a good direction. Think again if you want to attach innocuous motives to this movement, and terms such as "unity, solidarity and support." After all, who could be against that? Man's common humanity brings people together. Group mentality brings suspicion. And eventually, bloodshed.

I agree you have to have thick skin and IMO she demonstrated it by talking to him later and defending herself on twitter that she wasn't going to let him stop her from doing her job. But the thing isn't her thin or thick skin it's that he felt like it was OK to say what he said, and the evidently piled on more when they talked later.
I agree. He revealed his poor character, and probably misogyny here. He, the individual, pampered and sheltered athlete, has never been held to a higher standard. Never been required to treat others as equals. Again, I see the irony in this situation.

I don't fully indict him though. He is the age of two of my sons. Part of me wants to come along side him and mentor him and teach him how to treat women with dignity and respect.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was the smirk.

I was on vacation with the GF in Maine last August (no kids) so we decided to do the mature thing one night and get ice cream for dinner. I ordered the "3 scoop" banana split. The girl behind the counter grabs the biggest oval shaped plastic container I have ever seen - it looked like it could hold one of those huge sub sandwiches they serve at parties. She puts about 15 scoops of ice cream in it along with all the other syrup and jelly-like fruit crap that goes with a banana split and...serves it to me with a smirk!

freak that. There is nothing more annoying than a smirk. Smirking conveys elitism, condescension, superiority and distaste all wrapped up in a single irritating gesture.

Hate the smirk.

So, I think to myself, "freak this smirking bitch, I'll show her", and I dig in. I make sure she is watching and I power down the entire mountain of ice cream. I spoon up all the fruity strawberry and pineapple semi-solid jam-like goo. I finish the banana, the cherry and then I tilt the food trough the whole disgusting mess was served in and drink the last remnants of the sundae. At this point I am freezing, I am beyond nauseous and I have to put one hand on my buttocks in a futile attempt to hold back disastrously spraying my shorts with a fountain of hot crap as I stagger back into line.

I look the smirker straight in the eye and with as much courage and confidence as I can muster, I say "give me another, I would have ordered two if I knew they were going to be so small". The smirk had turned to surprise as I devoured the first ice cream monolith and now she took on an expression of absolute horror as I ordered seconds.

Satisfied that I had thoroughly wiped that condescending smirk off that jerk's face I grabbed the second sundae, staggered out the door and deposited it in the nearest trash recepticle along with the contents of my stomach.

My GF, who had been silent throughout the ordeal, finally looks at me and says "What the freak was that all about?". I said simply, "She smirked".

Hate the smirk.

Hate the smirk!

That could have been a Seinfeld episode!

giphy.gif

Zodi

Hall of Fame
He revealed his poor character, and probably misogyny here. He, the individual, pampered and sheltered athlete, has never been held to a higher standard.

Uh ok. He made the comment jokingly. She even started to giggle it seemed when he started smiling while she was asking him the question! He then gave her a very serious and honest answer. Obviously his intentions-- which are important-- were not an assault on her based on her sex.

Poor character? Misogyny? Pampered and sheltered athlete?

Uhhhhh okay. If that's the takeaway from his comment in that context then almost every male on this forum is guilty of everything you just accused Cam of being. Again, I bring up how dudes on here post about Dani. That's okay but Cam cracking a joke isnt.

I don't get it. At all. People just have too much shit to complain about these days.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/4/16425852/cam-newton-female-reporter-routes

The video is in the article.

He does that smirk. Mike and Mike thought it was condescending this morning. Women have been involved in football for years. All the sports have women reporters and hosts. The morning radio talk shows. The NFL games etc...It's not new. It's being condescending that is the problem. Really don't expect much from Cam anywhat.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
She reminds me unfortunately of these all too typical entitled kids that we are running into on a consistent basis.

She thinks she's off the hook for making racist comments because they were four years ago but no toning down about her Twitter rants against Cam Newton.

I think she's attempting to make a name for herself with any kind of publicity possible.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Harmelss little comment that was intended to highlight how little women usually talk about the specifics of the sport. More outrage used to get ahead in the world of the oppression olympics and get her name out there.

Maybe its just me, but if someone offends me or pisses me off, the last thing I do is broadcast it to get sympathy points. It starts and ends with me talking to the person face to face.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
He does that smirk.

He also looks directly at her and gives an honest response to her question. If he was a misogynist, he wouldn't have even entertained the thought of answering her.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glass houses, etc.

Female Reporter Who Called Out Cam Newton For Sexist Comment Under Fire Over Old Racist Tweets

Wow... yup, best make sure your house is Spic and Span before playing the victim card.

He was wrong in my eyes.

But this shows, once again, we are all imperfect beings.

Maybe, just maybe, we can develop higher levels of tolerance before heading off to social media to create attention to ourselves.

My son just got off FB because of some posts about Las Vegas. Social media sure is something.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Okay I agree Cam Newton is overall a bit of a jerk.
He's pouty.
He said some stupid things.
He's done some stupid things.
I'm pretty much against this protest but I do feel they have the right to express their freedom of speech.

I just don't think that gives us the right to pile on the dude for saying something that wasn't that big of a deal to begin with, may have been meant in jest, (albeit tacky and inappropriate) because this kid journalist wants to act all butt hurt over it.

No one was physically hurt or put it in any danger because of what he said.

People nowadays are going to all sorts of extremes to make a name for themselves.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Uh ok. He made the comment jokingly. She even started to giggle it seemed when he started smiling while she was asking him the question! He then gave her a very serious and honest answer. Obviously his intentions-- which are important-- were not an assault on her based on her sex.

Uhhhhh okay. If that's the takeaway from his comment in that context then almost every male on this forum is guilty of everything you just accused Cam of being. Again, I bring up how dudes on here post about Dani. That's okay but Cam cracking a joke isnt.

I don't get it. At all. People just have too much crap to complain about these days.

This is surely a strange breed of american....

I'd have already cussed out about half of the media establishment over most of the stuff...was it sexist...probably a lil...was it horrible? I don't know what you guys have been through...but with all that's going around...seems like Jourdan would have more interesting things to post & write about.

Ellard80

Legend
She should have been all like... "Well Cam... maybe our the one who doesn't know routes (in that same voice he did), since you are rocking that 58% career completion."

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That in itself expresses a sexist sentiment that he would even be "taken aback". It's 2017, are you (Cam) really that naive that you're "taken aback" when a woman knows what she's talking about in football?

It's still not the norm, though. Women typically don't follow sports as religiously as men do. Hell, even the NFL has a commercial about that (the one with the Dolphins fan untying his boat b/c he wants to avoid spending time with his wife and her parents...course these days that would be better than watching the Dolphins, but I digress).

Someone else in media mentioned how offended would Cam be if Vogue said it was "funny" that a male knows fashion. Or "funny" that a football player went back to school to finish a degree.

I don't think Cam would be "offended". He probably wouldn't have made a big deal of it.

Do you see how making presumptions about people is offensive?

It's only offensive b/c it's being made out to be offensive. Again, back to my first point you don't typically see women go that in-depth into football. Cam saying "It's funny to me" is equivialnt to saying "it's different to me".

Context and intent is always important. Cam is undeservingly being made out into a villain.
Glass houses, etc.

Social justice, man. Wanna play that card be prepared to the other side. Now she's saving face by posting a robotic apology.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I don't get it. At all. People just have too much crap to complain about these days.
Zodi,

I agree with most of what you say. And you see how I also partly defended him. He is still a young man and has a lot of pressure on him to behave certain ways.

I was a little surprised by her football eloquence too. He touched on one of societies little sensitive subjects. People need to relax. We should all respect each other as individuals. Not groups. Political correctness is a disease. Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.