Cam Newton puts his foot in his mouth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm just going to throw this out here, but many people on this site do the same sort of thing *cough Rams Fangirl videos cough*. It's not cool for Cam to do it, but if we agree on that, we should probably not do it either.

My thoughts exactly...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=truck stick
TOP DEFINITION
truck stick
the offensive verion of the hit stick. Introduced in Madden 2006. Normally used by larger running backs to lay out defensive backs and linebackers
Football Fan #1: Oh damn! Did you just see Jamal Lewis lay the truck stick out on that guy?

Football Fan #2: That guy had no chance of stopping him!

by Cane53 September 14, 2005

Don't play Madden so that was new to me. Good question. Bad Answer.
Cam's comments aside..
Its still clunky. Truck stick in Madden is "trucking" someone using a joystick. So you can't exactly truck stick someone in real life without a joystick, which would probably lead to more trouble than Cam's response. And as someone who's played Madden for years I've never heard/seen a living, breathing person say "truck stick" in any form.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I dont get it? It is funny to hear women talk about sports.

Ram65

Legend
Cam's comments aside..
Its still clunky. Truck stick in Madden is "trucking" someone using a joystick. So you can't exactly truck stick someone in real life without a joystick, which would probably lead to more trouble than Cam's response. And as someone who's played Madden for years I've never heard/seen a living, breathing person say "truck stick" in any form.

Word meanings and phrases evolve. Maybe she wants to start a trend. Could be a southern thing too. lol I might start using it on a Todd Gurley run or when Watkins runs over a DB.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHW9sh-nDB4

Rossville's (KS) Jacob Bradshaw delivers a huge truck stick and takes it to the house for the 40-yard touchdown run.

fearsomefour

Legend
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=truck stick
TOP DEFINITION
truck stick
the offensive verion of the hit stick. Introduced in Madden 2006. Normally used by larger running backs to lay out defensive backs and linebackers
Football Fan #1: Oh damn! Did you just see Jamal Lewis lay the truck stick out on that guy?

Football Fan #2: That guy had no chance of stopping him!

by Cane53 September 14, 2005

Don't play Madden so that was new to me. Good question. Bad Answer.
I know what it is.
The question was lame how it was phrased.
Either trying to sound hip or tough.
Either way, clown question bro.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes. It’s funny,” Newton said, before then giving some thoughts about Funchess growing as a receiver.

The identifier is the issue.

“It’s funny to hear a (insert whatever here) talk about routes. It’s funny,”

People can't get past the racial or gender thing in America.

"I was at the grocery store today and there was this white dude who was pissed at the clerk and being a complete asshole and yelling at her".

"I was talking to this Chinese dude today who had the worst breath".

"I was taking the elevator to my floor at work today and the Mexican guy let out a huge fart".

Even during acts of kindness it comes up. It's like Americans feel the need to specify race for some reason.

I wonder if it is like that in other nations.

Peace, love and understanding
Tell me, is there no place for them today
Edwin Starr.

That was written in 1969. Here we are today.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aren't you folks glad you're not famous where every word from your mouth or tweet is parsed and analyzed by the whole world?

Yeah, Cam is annoying, at least to me, and what he said is not respectful but here comes the predictable PC mob to hound him into submission, which for some of us is equally annoying.
*********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/04/nfl-cam-newtons-comments-are-just-plain-wrong/

NFL: Cam Newton’s comments are “just plain wrong and disrespectful”
Posted by Mike Florio on October 4, 2017

“The comments are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT via email. “They do not reflect the thinking of the league.”

There’s nothing funny about it. The comments are indefensible and inexplicable.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-reporter-says-cam-newton-did-not-apologize/

The Association for Women in Sports Media and the Pro Football Writers of America have reached out to Rodrigue with support, and the NFL released a statement calling Newton’s comment “just plain wrong and disrespectful.”
Here comes Roddy White to double-down on the stupid.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...fls-sexism-problem-not-limited-to-cam-newton/

“Why is people making a fuss about cam and the woman reporter he laughed than answered her question but it was funny first time for me to,” White wrote.
And finally to finish the cycle we know all too well...the obligatory apology "regret."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/04/cam-newton-expresses-regret-for-sexist-comment/

Cam Newton expresses “regret” for sexist comment
Posted by Charean Williams on October 4, 2017

backpedaling-gif-8.gif

In a statement, Panthers director of communications Steven Drummond said he spoke to Newton and Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue after Newton told Rodrigue it was “funny” to hear “a female talk about routes.”

“I have spoken with Jourdan and Cam and I know they had a conversation where he expressed regret for using those words,” Drummond said in a statement. “We strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable for everyone covering the team.”

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just speak to people with the respect that they deserve. It's not that difficult.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I'm just going to throw this out here, but many people on this site do the same sort of thing *cough Rams Fangirl videos cough*. It's not cool for Cam to do it, but if we agree on that, we should probably not do it either.
I think she went away. Gee. I wonder why. :(

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
"You wanna know what's REALLY funny?!? Cam's YPA this year. Laugh THAT off, SuperCam..." -my wife (football fan and disgruntled fantasy GM)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
By the way, I love all the moral posturing with Cam Newton making these comments. Does it surprise anyone? Was anyone thinking, "What a shock! This humble man of character looked down on a woman?!!"

Please. All the moral posturing, and virtue signaling would hold more water if people were consistent.

I wonder if Tampa fans of Jameis f-her-right-in-the-p Winston are shaking their heads in moral indignation.

Frankly, I love it when women know sports, and want all to have equal opportunity. But I'm sorry. I too was a little surprised to hear her question. Very professional. But still shocking. Almost like hearing a pretty girl fart. Like, did that just happen? I didn't expect that to come out of her. :)

Sorry. Just being real.

I think the bigger Cam Newton infraction was this....

https://www.google.com/search?q=cam..._AUIESgB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=PaQlzIjCoQgwoM:

Black power salute? You ok with this? It's too bad that the truth is not to be spoken. He can take his "Superman" racist ass and hit the road. Not acceptable. THIS is the true Cam Newton story.

And Quinn shouldn't be doing it either.

Edit:
PS: I think this is a classic case of "You reap what you sow." Or for our Buddhist friends "Karma". Newton doesn't respect women, or many other people for that matter. He's just experiencing a blow-back now, because he violated one of societies pet virtues.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I heard the audio of it and it doesn't change my mind. Even if he'd said it was great hearing a woman say it instead of funny it's still not something he should have said.

Watch the actual video, his demeanor and tone of voice combined sheds some light. Not saying it was right, but intent and context is important.

The more I watch it, it really does seem that Cam isn't saying this because she's a woman. I mean, football is dominated by males (fans, reporters, Madden players, etc) that live and breathe the sport. They can tell you what an "out route" or a "dig route" is like they are the ones drawing up the plays. Women typically roll their eyes at their male counterparts, wondering how they can be so entertained by watching this game. Yes I know there are female football fans, I'm talking about the majority viewpoint.

I think Cam is more in awe that a someone that typically doesn't know the specifics of football (the woman) was asking a technical football question (his WRs' route running). Which he then proceeded to answer.

Angry Ram

and want all to have equal opportunity.

Black power salute? You ok with this? It's too bad that the truth is not to be spoken. He can take his "Superman" racist ass and hit the road. Not acceptable. THIS is the true Cam Newton story.

And Quinn shouldn't be doing it either.

??? I find this incredibly ironic. You are free to agree or disagree with their message, but they have the right to express it.

Frankly, I don't agree with the messages but they are doing it peacefully and without calls for violence so it doesn't bother me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the actual video, his demeanor and tone of voice combined sheds some light. Not saying it was right, but intent and context is important.

The more I watch it, it really does seem that Cam isn't saying this because she's a woman. I mean, football is dominated by males (fans, reporters, Madden players, etc) that live and breathe the sport. They can tell you what an "out route" or a "dig route" is like they are the ones drawing up the plays. Women typically roll their eyes at their male counterparts, wondering how they can be so entertained by watching this game. Yes I know there are female football fans, I'm talking about the majority viewpoint.

I think Cam is more in awe that a someone that typically doesn't know the specifics of football (the woman) was asking a technical football question (his WRs' route running). Which he then proceeded to answer.
Actually that smirk on his face is as bad as what he said. If he was mature he'd have said something to like "that's my favorite thing Funchess does he's great at it." Instead he gets this smirk on his face and pops off that line. You know all you need to know about him with those 2 things.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Black power salute?

Don't go there please. :redcard:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/04/n...conference-charlotte-observer-jordan-rodrigue

Hey, Cam Newton, It’s Not That Hard to Talk About Football
JENNY VRENTAS

Devin Funchess had seven catches last Sunday in Foxborough. Two of them went for touchdowns against a Patriots defense that, last year at least, surrendered the fewest points in the NFL. Cam Newton could have picked any of these plays to highlight at his press conference on Wednesday afternoon, when he was asked a good question by Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue:

Cam, I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of enjoyment to see him kind of truck-sticking people out there?

There were so many examples to choose from. What about Funchess’s first catch of the day? The 6-foot-4, 225-pound receiver was matched up against Malcolm Butler, who is about six inches shorter and 35 pounds lighter. Funchess used this mismatch to his advantage.

Running a slant route—a pattern in which the receiver breaks in toward the middle of the field at a 45-degree angle—is the perfect assignment on which to make use of his size. You know what else Funchess did well there?

He used a stem in his route—a hard step to the outside with his right foot—that widened Butler, and then he used his hands to cross Butler’s face and get inside. By the time Newton delivered the ball, it was impossible for Butler to defend. Gain of 14 yards.

Or how about that third-and-8 catch right before halftime? Funchess was the outside receiver in a bunch formation, a schematic wrinkle used to create confusion for the defense as to who covers whom. Funchess ran a pivot route, which entailed taking a few steps to sell the crossing route, before pivoting back outside.

Eric Rowe made first contact with Funchess three yards beyond the line of scrimmage, but Funchess lowered his shoulder and spun off Rowe to pick up the first down. The Panthers went on to score a touchdown that drive, a 10-yard throw to Funchess, who was wide open yet again out of that bunch formation.

Newton also could have highlighted what might have been Funchess’s best route of the day. Matched up against Butler, the former Super Bowl hero, Funchess again got open by stemming his route. At the line of scrimmage, the Panthers set up what looked like a power play with the left guard pulling, but after the play-action fake Newton looked downfield.

Running up the seam, Funchess had taken that hard plant to the outside, getting Butler to hesitate just enough so he had space as he worked back into the void in the middle of the field. The throw was slightly behind Funchess, but he made a nice adjustment to pull down the ball before Butler got there, and crossed the goal line for a 16-yard score.

See, it’s not that hard to talk about football.

And that’s exactly what the Observer reporter was doing. And that’s all she was asking Newton to do: Answer a question about football.

Her gender had nothing to do with the question, and it shouldn’t have had anything to do with the answer. Except, the second Rodrigue said the word “routes,” Newton started to smirk, as if it was a dirty word. When he began his reply, it was clear he thought Rodrigue was out of her element for simply doing her job.

“It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes, like…” Newton said. “It’s funny.”

Nothing about the exchange was funny. The truth is that most women who work in this field—scratch that, most women in any profession—can share their own stories like this. Once, when I asked a question about how two injuries on the left side of the offensive line would affect the calls in the running game, a veteran back told me, “You’re such a woman when it comes to this.”

A columnist, who was standing nearby at the player’s locker, laughed along with him. But it wasn’t a franchise quarterback speaking at a press conference that thousands will see.

A Panthers spokesperson said Newton and Rodrigue had a conversation after the press conference in which Cam expressed regret for referencing gender in his response. Observer columnist Scott Fowler quoted Rodrigue as saying that Newton did not apologize, and Rodrigue wrote on her Twitter account, “I spoke with him after and it was worse. I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.”

Asked how the organization would address the incident, the spokesperson said that was up to head coach Ron Rivera and interim general manager Marty Hurney, and that he did not want to speak for them. Rivera is married to a former WNBA assistant coach and is the father of a college softball pitcher; Hurney began his career as a journalist asking questions about football things such as routes.

There’s only one way to properly address it, and that’s by refusing to excuse sexism. Newton is the face of the franchise, and unless they require him to issue a public apology, the Carolina Panthers will appear to condone a role model in his community demeaning women.

After Newton’s pouty press conference following the Super Bowl 50 loss, Rivera came to his defense by saying this is a different generation of athletes. Well, let’s hold him to that same standard here. He is part of a different generation—supposedly one that’s more enlightened, more inclusive and more invested in equality for all.

Newton meandered his way to an answer about Funchess being excited to play his hometown Lions this weekend, and having a different preparation level this season, but never really answered Rodrigue’s original question.

It was a missed opportunity to praise his teammate after a breakout performance, or to give kudos to his coaches for their game plan that schemed receivers open against the best-prepared team in the NFL. Heck, he could have even used the question to needle the media a bit, as he often does, by making the point that Funchess proved he can run the routes that plenty of pundits have said he couldn’t run.

Shoddy route-runner, eh? How do you like him now?

Instead, Newton took a football question and turned it into a sexist jab. There was only one professional in that exchange, and it wasn’t the $100 million quarterback.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
??? I find this incredibly ironic. You are free to agree or disagree with their message, but they have the right to express it.

Frankly, I don't agree with the messages but they are doing it peacefully and without calls for violence so it doesn't bother me.
No inconsistency. Actually the irony might be that you see no inconsistency with the notion of equality of opportunity and a brazen expression of racial superiority being expressed. I think you need to look up the gesture, and it's meaning in the Black Panther movement. A race war sound good to you, @Angry Ram ?

I'm sure you've experienced racism @Angry Ram and that must really suck. I am just consistent in that I will use MY right of free speech to speak out against it all.

Angry Ram

Actually that smirk on his face is as bad as what he said. If he was mature he'd have said something to like "that's my favorite thing Funchess does he's great at it." Instead he gets this smirk on his face and pops off that line. You know all you need to know about him with those 2 things.

I'm not a fan of judging people based on a couple body reactions.

I don't think he meant it as a condescending sexist, as what he's being painted out to be. I think he was just taken aback as I previously mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.