But what Quick did was a penalty...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Why was he fined for that? Not like he latched on and threw him to the ground. Thats a bullshit fine.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Everybody hates Steve Smith because of his comments last year and all, but I love him. He's tough and physical and plays big for his size, and is a damn good football player even at his age. He says what's on his mind and wears his heart on his sleeve. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Garnett in the NBA. Maybe people don't like him, but he's one of my favorite players.

As to the calls, it's definitely BS that they'll call Quick's play and fine him, and then do nothing to Smith. But I guess it's all on the refs for the most part, we had Hochuli who will call most things if there is any shred of doubt that it was legal. And he made the right call on the Quick play. I just think the wrong call was made in that game.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Why does the NFL penalize AND fucking fine you? Isn't that just adding insult to injury?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everybody hates Steve Smith because of his comments last year and all, but I love him. He's tough and physical and plays big for his size, and is a damn good football player even at his age. He says what's on his mind and wears his heart on his sleeve. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Garnett in the NBA. Maybe people don't like him, but he's one of my favorite players.

As to the calls, it's definitely BS that they'll call Quick's play and fine him, and then do nothing to Smith. But I guess it's all on the refs for the most part, we had Hochuli who will call most things if there is any shred of doubt that it was legal. And he made the right call on the Quick play. I just think the wrong call was made in that game.
I saw the play Quick got nailed for, OK It was technically a penalty, that said I also saw the play were Smith through the opponent to the Ground, and I think He should have been nailed for a 'Horse-coller' and fined more than Quick!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm not disagreeing with anything said, but it kind of looks like Smith was a straight stiff arm to the head, and didn't actually grab the facemask and pull. Quick reached out and grabbed the facemask/squeezed his fingers on it and moved the guys head. To add to everything said...I think you're more likely to get a facemask penalty when your fingers tighten around the mask and you twist/move the guys head vs a quick stiff arm to the facemask.

Quick didnt grab the facemask, his finger got stuck in it he tried to shake it free and the dudes head wobbled like a bobble head. The ball carrier can touch the facemask to defend himself against the tackler but if he grabs it then there is a penalty. In Quicks case it was just bad(Rams) luck that his finger got stuck, but after seein what SS got away with I wish Quick woulda ragdolled the DB and got his value outta the 15 yards.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hate smith because he is a smart ass POS that should be getting flagged and fined every game for unsportsman like conduct, there has never been a better example of this than him.

Without slowing it down frame by frame I see him reach back directly to the face mask and then the DB goes flying in front of him. I see no way he is able to do that by grabbing anything but the mask. And the fine on Quick you have got to be kidding. I tried to straight arm the guy and got his fingers through the mask he did not grab it and he certainly did not twist it.

fearsomefour

Legend
To use a tired analogy, if the speed limit is 35 and I am going 50 and someone else is going 60 we are both speeding. So, to answer the question, yes, Quick committed a penalty.

Athos

Legend
The NFL is a clusterhole of nonsensical drivel and fluid "penalties" that change from game to game, player to player, team to team, and quarter to quarter.

And it appears they can't even manage the non football shit correctly either.

Pretty crap deal imo. He tried to stiff arm and got his glove wedged inside a piece and couldn't get it out. Silly. I didn't see the defenders head move oddly at all.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

What's wrong with this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...scapes-fine-for-adam-jones-facemask-maneuver/

Steve Smith escapes fine for Adam Jones facemask maneuver
Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2014

smith.jpg
AP

One of the most exciting plays in Week One happened when Ravens receiver Steve Smith got behind Bengals cornerback Adam Jones for a long catch. When Jones closed in, Smith gave Jones a stiff arm that resulted with Jones on the ground and Smith in the end zone.

A reverse angle shown during NBCSN’s NFL Turning Point showed that Smith grabbed Jones by the facemask and threw him down.

But Smith wasn’t flagged. According to the league office, Smith also wasn’t fined.

It’s unclear why there was no fine. Under the 2014 fine schedule, a facemask foul calls for a minimum fine of $8,268.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well..... I came away from this thread wishing we'd just gotten Smith.

Anyone else? lol

He would've fought Jenkins every fucking day in practice. I'd rather have a healthy Jenkins then a aging vet on his last leg.

Maybe if Sam was still healthy, but at this point I'd rather have Britt. Both on the field and in the locker room.