Bugs me that our turnaround hasn't been as quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well ... in comparison ..... Jake Long leads the OL in sacks allowed. How many sacks does Chris Long have again? Alec Ogletree has more tackles that JL ... and you forgot Finnegan. Now ... I'm not saying they aren't decent players ... my point is how much they are getting paid and their production on the field ... does it match up? When you pay these guys like they are the best in the league ... shouldn't their play match? Or at least come close? Just those guys I mentioned are at a cost this season of $50.9 mil. My point is, the Rams have not been getting their $$$'s worth out of the guys they are paying. At least Bradford was showing improvement ... all these other guys, their play has REGRESSED since their payday. And it's been a common theme for this team over the years.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well ... in comparison ..... Jake Long leads the OL in sacks allowed. How many sacks does Chris Long have again? Alec Ogletree has more tackles that JL ... and you forgot Finnegan. Now ... I'm not saying they aren't decent players ... my point is how much they are getting paid and their production on the field ... does it match up? When you pay these guys like they are the best in the league ... shouldn't their play match? Or at least come close? Just those guys I mentioned are at a cost this season of $50.9 mil. My point is, the Rams have not been getting their $$$'s worth out of the guys they are paying. At least Bradford was showing improvement ... all these other guys, their play has REGRESSED since their payday. And it's been a common theme for this team over the years.

+1

V3

Hall of Fame
Our woes against the run are linked more to gap integrity, missed assignments, overpursuit, and missed tackles. We have great potential to stop the run, the inconsistencies are just so frustrating. And if I had to blame any one player (which I don't think is fair) for our pathetic run D its Ogletree. He has taken Dunbar's role from last year, as the 2nd LB. In this league now adays the 3rd LB rarely sees the field, Dunbar hasn't failed to make plays due to his talent/preparation, its that his snaps have been significantly decreased from 2012. And you're gonna miss a human missile like Dunbar in the run game (which is his MO) when he had 17 TFL (3rd in league) and a few sacks. Whereas Ogletree's MO is pass D, and he's learning how to defend the run. He needs to add weight and work on his technique to get off blocks better, and even though he has great potential to tackle (near tops in the team) you see him try to throw his body or make arm tackles too often like other youngsters on the team. Imo if any one player makes a difference in our run D its Tree. His growth will be a huge lift. On that note I think Quinn has made great progress on his game vs the run. The departure of Mikell (who lived in the box) was overlooked too. He was a great tackler vs the run & a great blitzer; we had a solid replacement for him in TMac until he was lost to injury.

So if you ask me, if I could blame any players for the regressed run D from 2012 (that seemed to have promise heading into 2013), I'd say:

1. Ogletree taking Dunbar's 2nd LB role from 2012
2. Mikell's departure
3. McDonald's injury

I'd add inability to shed blocks, as well. I see that a lot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Colts never had to deal with the "losing mentality." They had one horrible season but they still had players who remembered winning and making the playoffs. I think far too many people forget that as a factor in the Colts turnaround.

Sure, they drafted well, found players that fit what they wanted to do. But they also had an emotional bond last year that drew the team together, and keeps them together now.

Compare what the Rams have gone through the last 10 years. A dysfunctional FO, HCs that weren't up to the task. Injury plagued seasons. And that losing mentality that's hard to shake. I think Fisher has done quite a bit to tear that down, but it's not over yet. Beating Seattle at home after losing Bradford for the season would be a major step.

Look at Detroit. They probably had as much going wrong for them (Millen) as the Rams, and after they made the playoffs 2 years ago, they suffered another sub-500 season.

I'm not going to say I'm not disappointed either, but I'm holding faith.

I agree with most of what you're saying here RQ. Winning mentality means you innately (bad term - I know) know what to do in a shit load of minor situations and also when you are being tested. You can relay that to the youngsters and get them better prepared. If you are not used to winning and I mean winning in a consistent manner, whether down or up in a game, against very good teams, in games that mean almost nothing, etc. then IMO, you are going to have a harder time making that rebound. This team has built a losing attitude since they were dismantled from within while still in Southern California. We caught lightening in a bottle for a few years but our inside "staff" (the same ass hats) screwed that up in short order.

What I only slightly disagree with here is the idea that beating Seattle will mean all that much. Beating Seattle on a major stage will be big. But then coming out and smacking Tenn in the teeth followed by at least a good showing where the team plays correctly against Indy will be a major step.

To me that is mostly about coaching at this point. The buck stops at Fisher's feet. IMO - both of his coordinators suck - flat out. He has this hyper high end coaching staff - many of which have seen the HC ranks yet he has two highly unproven coaches running the two shows. I was hesitant about the Fish signing at first but got behind him 100%. To me it is way too obvious that our defense has regressed tremendously in ALL aspects. I find it very hard to believe - in fact virtually impossible - that this is due to the players' inability to "execute". The offense has all kinds of weapons that I virtually guarantee you would be playing better on other teams or in other schemes. I can't even BEGIN to believe that BS has a clue how to use real weapons and nothing about his history tells me otherwise. Yeah, maybe they were slowly progressing after the first four games but really? Going from flat out bad to sorta mediocre isn't good enough with the bevvy of draft picks AND veterans we have on this team. If Fisher was a good choice, and I still believe he was, it is time for him to step up and demote (even if quietly behind closed doors) these coordinators.

Look at the two sides: Defense - JL has regressed, Brockers has done no where near what most expected, Chris has regressed, Quinn has upped his game some but still is out of position in many cases, Langford has regressed (IMO), Jenks has regressed tremendously, Cort? Really?, Johnson has improved, Stewart is playing worse than when he was last healthy. As a whole, our run defense has taken a HUGE backward step, our secondary (supposedly a Walsh strength) is pathetically out of position, and our pass rush? We are 21st in the league from 1st last year. Offense - there has been absolutely no space for our weapons - and we have more than many teams doing much better. Givens has regressed. Pead has not been used. DR has regressed. Quick looks every bit the WR we thought he'd be in flashes. Tavon is always blanketed. Our O-line can't open holes and is spotty on pass blocking. I'm going to guess that there are very few teams if any with less explosive plays. DR being used like a power back. A tandem like Kendricks and Cook and where are the mismatches? Where are the seam routes?

I am just not buying it that the reason we're not seeing it is because the players can't figure out how to execute what the coaches are giving them. Maybe if it takes perfect execution but really? If that is indeed what it takes to run these schemes, the coaches are still at fault because they are being idiots for thinking they will see that out of by far the youngest team in the league.

And yet I am optimistic. Why? Because we DO have the talent. And IMO, we are just coaching and play calling away from being dangerous. This is a team that can thump on defense AND be explosive on offense. Let's start tonight and carry it through.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't have any problem with the Jake Long contract. It's well structured.

Chris Long has been hurt, but he's probably overpaid. As is JL. They are good players... but we overpaid.

JL's cap number is front loaded, but it get's a heck of lot more palatable in 2015 and 2016.

Chris Long, however, could be in trouble as a cap casualty with base salaries of 13.2, 8.0, and 9.7 in the future years.

iced

Rams suffered two major injuries to our secondary iced in the 9ers game. We lost our starting CB & safety in Finnegan & McDonald. Once that occurred something else happened our their starting Safety was sifted to the Nickle Back. Rams still run the Nickle more than half the defensive plays. So in my mind Rams really lost both our starting safeties & a CB. I would also add iced that Fishers top reserve safety in Pre season & the opening of the regular season was second yr player Matt Daniels. That's three new starters & our top reserve safety gone after the 4th game of the season. They way I look at it is our two starting safeties are 9 yr vet Giordano & 4 yr vet Darian Stewart....not so young really just not good.

Game One starters Half way mark starters
CB-Finnegan.......................Johnson
CB-Jenkins..........................Jenkins
Nickle-Johnson....................McLeod
Sa- McDonald.....................Giordano
Sa- McLeod........................Stewart
3rd Sa- Daniels................... Davis

Agree that the Rams have bunches of "poor angles, bad tackling, miss communications, confusion on plays" on a regular basis. I not real sure the return of Finnegan in a plus for this secondary but if he is able to play the nickle at least we will have McLeod playing back @ full-time safety. The 4th CB rookie 5th round pick Brandon McGee must be really be in need of development that the Rams would move their starting safety to the nickle so McGee does not get on the field.

true but let's not kid ourselves either - Mcdonald and the other safety were taking bad angles and missing tackles... safety play.

was way different with mikkell

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
true but let's not kid ourselves either - Mcdonald and the other safety were taking bad angles and missing tackles... safety play.

was way different with mikkell

Yes Mikell , was a very good to outstanding in the box safety but at the same time he was a liability when covering the TE's. Mikell has some serious yardage put up on him last year. He was the #1 mismatch teams looked for every play in the passing game. That's just the awful truth. Even though he was the starter in last weeks loss with the Panthers his 33 yr old body has been hurt since the season began age will catch up.

The cost of having Mikell was a major cause in him being released you just could not pay a 33 yr old safety 8 million for a season. In Monday Morning quarterbacking it looks like Fisher should have taken two third round safeties in this yrs draft or another corner. One would think that going into this season with veterans Giordano & Stewart along with two second yr safeties in McLeod & Daniel & two rookies McDonald & Davis would have been more than enough & a good mixture to be productive on the field. I thought that the safeties played well last night for a change myself but they did get caught late on that Taint TD.

In conclusion I just do not have any heartburn with what Snead & Fisher did with Mikell & the way they went on the safeties this 2013 season. One would think that some big changes will take place in the secondary in this off season. I would expect the release of Cortland Finnegan & his 50 mil contact. I would expect full recovery of the broken bones in the lower legs of McDonald & Daniels. I expect the total release of Stewart & Giordano. Plus the addition of two DB's (one CB & safety) either on day one or two of the 2014 draft.