Bugs me that our turnaround hasn't been as quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yeah, I know. I could list all the reasons why injuries, turnover, change, and lack of continuity continues to delay our ascent, but that doesn't make me any less frustrated about watching other teams blow right by us on the rebuilding front. It's about to become a decade of non-winning seasons, and I guess it's just taking its toll on me as I face that realization once again.
I totally agree with this. It's starting to become very frustrating. I won't ever give up hope, but you'd think just by accident we'd have a good year by now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, but it doesn't start that way of course. Those schedules are calculated fairly before the season begins, and then invariably the teams we end up facing have a turn-around which makes the schedule harder.

Before the season started:
2011 strength of schedule, Rams 26th, but actual was #1 after the season was over.
2012 strength of schedule, Rams 4th.
2013 strength of schedule, Rams 3rd.
These are hard to find, but this is what I found. I couldn't find final ratings for the other years. Doesn't seem fair to me, lol.

And, I'm not making excuses but there are so many variables, it's just too hard to compare a teams situation to another teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

F. Mulder

Starter
This season has really taken the wind out of my sails twice. I had such high hopes that a D that was approaching above average would take the next step and the O would benefit from OC continuity, new weapons, etc. Plus I thought Fisher and staff would know his team and philosophy how to maximize it better. Instead I have watched a team seemingly utterly unprepared in losses to a below average Falcon team, an overrated Cowboy team, and a division rival (at home and minus several key players). I was less than impressed with their win over Jacksonville but was thrilled with the Houston win. At that point, I thought maybe they had found a better formula and had turned the tide. Instead they reverted back to an undisciplined team topped off with the one injury they could not overcome; Bradford.

As X so well stated, they are many variables with this team and this potentially lost season gets young players valuable experience as well as further weeding out what they need and what they don't. I don't know what the future holds for some of these young players but at some point they need to gel in unision. I don't know what the future holds regarding Bradford. I am a fan but felt he hadn't taken the next step. then, just when he looked like he turned the corner, he got hurt. It's tough not having the full season to evaluate him. I do know the D took a major step backwards. I do know the OL needs to be addressed with potentially 3 new OL positions. I do know that Austin hasn't been used correctly, has dropped a bunch of balls, and still would be having an above average year if the special teams could figure out how to block. I do know that the Safety position is below average and the CBs have been less than stellar. I also think an awful lot of money is being paid to a MLB who (to me) rarely makes impact plays.

I'm sure I'll get sucked back in again; whether it be this year or during the offseason. The real shame is when the offseason is your favorite season as a fan. My "blind" loyalty for Snead, Fisher, Bradford, and several others has been tested. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I do know that for all the shit Spags got (and a lot of it deserved BTW) he NEVER had a roster this loaded. His roster was filled with practice squad cast-offs and UDFAs working for cement company's vs. a roster stacked with youth and upper tier draft picks.

Thanks (or sorry :( ) for the vent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I also think an awful lot of money is being paid to a MLB who (to me) rarely makes impact plays.

I'm kind of with you. JL feels badly over-rated. I guess he gets points for being a "healthy player" but he's not an impact guy IMO.

This is hard to say because I love our players... but as stated earlier... it's either the players or the coaches that are over rated.

The defense blows right now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The biggest difference defensively from last year to this year is not the coordinators - it's the safety play. When you move from 2 "veterans" to 2 extremely young, one being a rookie and a 2nd/3rd year UDFA, bad things are gonna happen. poor angles, bad tackling, miss communications, confusion on plays, etc.

Rams suffered two major injuries to our secondary iced in the 9ers game. We lost our starting CB & safety in Finnegan & McDonald. Once that occurred something else happened our their starting Safety was sifted to the Nickle Back. Rams still run the Nickle more than half the defensive plays. So in my mind Rams really lost both our starting safeties & a CB. I would also add iced that Fishers top reserve safety in Pre season & the opening of the regular season was second yr player Matt Daniels. That's three new starters & our top reserve safety gone after the 4th game of the season. They way I look at it is our two starting safeties are 9 yr vet Giordano & 4 yr vet Darian Stewart....not so young really just not good.

Game One starters Half way mark starters
CB-Finnegan.......................Johnson
CB-Jenkins..........................Jenkins
Nickle-Johnson....................McLeod
Sa- McDonald.....................Giordano
Sa- McLeod........................Stewart
3rd Sa- Daniels................... Davis

Agree that the Rams have bunches of "poor angles, bad tackling, miss communications, confusion on plays" on a regular basis. I not real sure the return of Finnegan in a plus for this secondary but if he is able to play the nickle at least we will have McLeod playing back @ full-time safety. The 4th CB rookie 5th round pick Brandon McGee must be really be in need of development that the Rams would move their starting safety to the nickle so McGee does not get on the field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm kind of with you. JL feels badly over-rated. I guess he gets points for being a "healthy player" but he's not an impact guy IMO.

This is hard to say because I love our players... but as stated earlier... it's either the players or the coaches that are over rated.

Wish I could logically disagree, but I can't. Good in coverage, very cerebral in sniffing out plays and adjusting the defense, but not very good against the run at all. I thought the addition/emergence of Brockers would help him a lot, but that doesn't appear to be the case right now. He's had one solid game this year, but unfortunately it was against the Jaguars. The league's whipping boy.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I've only been a Rams fan since they moved to STL, but I can relate to frustration being felt by all. Was a fan of the former team that played here! Guess that numbed be to some of the frustration being felt now. 2 words for you, Clyde Duncan!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

He never had that label tho. Tackling machine, leader, etc. That was his M.O.

I agree the defense blows but it's not on him...it's more on the secondary.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Wish I could logically disagree, but I can't. Good in coverage, very cerebral in sniffing out plays and adjusting the defense, but not very good against the run at all. I thought the addition/emergence of Brockers would help him a lot, but that doesn't appear to be the case right now. He's had one solid game this year, but unfortunately it was against the Jaguars. The league's whipping boy.

Our woes against the run are linked more to gap integrity, missed assignments, overpursuit, and missed tackles. We have great potential to stop the run, the inconsistencies are just so frustrating. And if I had to blame any one player (which I don't think is fair) for our pathetic run D its Ogletree. He has taken Dunbar's role from last year, as the 2nd LB. In this league now adays the 3rd LB rarely sees the field, Dunbar hasn't failed to make plays due to his talent/preparation, its that his snaps have been significantly decreased from 2012. And you're gonna miss a human missile like Dunbar in the run game (which is his MO) when he had 17 TFL (3rd in league) and a few sacks. Whereas Ogletree's MO is pass D, and he's learning how to defend the run. He needs to add weight and work on his technique to get off blocks better, and even though he has great potential to tackle (near tops in the team) you see him try to throw his body or make arm tackles too often like other youngsters on the team. Imo if any one player makes a difference in our run D its Tree. His growth will be a huge lift. On that note I think Quinn has made great progress on his game vs the run. The departure of Mikell (who lived in the box) was overlooked too. He was a great tackler vs the run & a great blitzer; we had a solid replacement for him in TMac until he was lost to injury.

So if you ask me, if I could blame any players for the regressed run D from 2012 (that seemed to have promise heading into 2013), I'd say:

1. Ogletree taking Dunbar's 2nd LB role from 2012
2. Mikell's departure
3. McDonald's injury

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't think you can even call the Colts situation a turnaround. They had 1 bad year while Peyton was hurt but they still had a heck of a lot more talent on the team than the Rams had after Linnehan and Spags destroyed this franchise. After the one bad year they plug in a good QB coming out of a Pro system that had a good line and receivers and voila tunraround. BS

Psycho_X

Legend
It is getting very frustrating I agree. There is only so much losing one can take before it ruins a man.... seriously. After last weekend I had to take a break from football. I watched none of it yesterday or the Thursday game. I will watch tonight simply cause I haven't missed a Rams game since 94 but the longer this goes on the harder that becomes.

Personally, I think the coaches have been extremely bad at changing game plans on the fly and week to week to begin the season. And the opposing coaches made them look foolish in the Dallas and San Fran game. They seem to have worked some of that out so I have hope. There is a lot of youth and inexperience across the team so bumps are to be expected. But it has to be fixed sooner then later.

I'm giving Fisher the benefit of the doubt and he has one more season to turn this team into a winner. I gave Spags three years so the least I can for Fisher. We will probably have two top 10 picks this offseason. And with some savvy moves we can free up a ton of cap room by reworking or out right cutting some players who aren't helping us like their salaries sasy they should. This offseason can easily turn this team into a winner. they better not F it up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think you can even call the Colts situation a turnaround. They had 1 bad year while Peyton was hurt but they still had a heck of a lot more talent on the team than the Rams had after Linnehan and Spags destroyed this franchise. After the one bad year they plug in a good QB coming out of a Pro system that had a good line and receivers and voila tunraround. BS
That's not entirely accurate. They had a lot of turnover as well. Including coaching staff. They at least had Reggie Wayne and a relatively healthy O-line, but I'm not so much comparing them to us. I'm more complaining about how other teams don't seem to encounter so much bullshit as they navigate through a rebuild.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The biggest difference defensively from last year to this year is not the coordinators - it's the safety play. When you move from 2 "veterans" to 2 extremely young, one being a rookie and a 2nd/3rd year UDFA, bad things are gonna happen. poor angles, bad tackling, miss communications, confusion on plays, etc.
This is so true.

I would have just liked this post and moved on, but I would like to add that we really did miss Dunbar at the beginning of the season, so that kind of hurt our run stopping and weakened the overall linebacker team.

I would also like to add that Quinn really isn't a complete end. I've noticed that teams tend to test him when he's out there.

So, to me if this offense is so keyed on the run anyway, the Tavon Austin pick was kind of a waste at this point, considering that there were two free safeties drafted in the first round last year.

Angry Ram

Buffalo comes close. In fact...they are the Rams of the AFC. So much talent, but injuries and underachieving derails them.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
How this team handles the remainder of this shedule will determine my atttitude toward them and their coaching staff-bottom line. Either they put on their bigboy pants and go out there and earn their checks or they whine their way thru the last 9 games like they cant wait for the offseason. And I give the posters on this forum enough credit to be able to tell the difference.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It is getting very frustrating I agree. There is only so much losing one can take before it ruins a man.... seriously. After last weekend I had to take a break from football. I watched none of it yesterday or the Thursday game. I will watch tonight simply cause I haven't missed a Rams game since 94 but the longer this goes on the harder that becomes.
This is where I am.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Going so young, so fast is one problem. The FA signings also have not been that good. Look at the 2 units with the higest payroll... the OL and the Def. Both are under achieving, IMHO. When you mess it up the first go around... the turnaround gets even harder and takes longer because of the money tied up. I wasn't as high on the Cook signing as most ... but I caved to the optimism that he was just under used in Tenn. .... I still see what I saw there. Athletic but lazy. Then look at he J.Long, S.Wells and Finnegan signings. Those four FA signings and the resigning of C.Long and J.Lau are gonna bite us for some time. Limits going out and replacing them other than the draft ... which means more youth ... and more time.

Angry Ram

Going so young, so fast is one problem. The FA signings also have not been that good. Look at the 2 units with the higest payroll... the OL and the Def. Both are under achieving, IMHO. When you mess it up the first go around... the turnaround gets even harder and takes longer because of the money tied up. I wasn't as high on the Cook signing as most ... but I caved to the optimism that he was just under used in Tenn. .... I still see what I saw there. Athletic but lazy. Then look at he J.Long, S.Wells and Finnegan signings. Those four FA signings and the resigning of C.Long and J.Lau are gonna bite us for some time. Limits going out and replacing them other than the draft ... which means more youth ... and more time.

Nah I think signing Chris and JL were big for this team. They could've bolted if they wanted to after the crap they dealt during their time here.

Jake Long was a good signing. And he's gonna be here a while. But I'm w/ you on Jared Cook...wasn't that happy of his signing but seeing the potential got me hopeful especially after Arizona.