Bugs me that our turnaround hasn't been as quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Quick rebuilding project has Colts in contention
By MICHAEL MAROT
— Oct. 26, 2013 12:01 AM EDT

460x.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Ryan Grigson walked into a bleak predicament in Indianapolis.

The Colts had just completed an abysmal 2-14 season, their stars were aging, nobody knew if Peyton Manning would be healthy again, and their salary cap was out of whack. So the first-time general manager, armed with the No. 1 overall pick and the blessing of team owner Jim Irsay, risked everything by starting from scratch.

It worked. In 1½ seasons, Grigson has done something most front-office people only dream about: turning the league's worst team into a long-term title contender.

"To have done the things we've done so quickly has been amazing," Irsay said last week as the Colts prepped for Manning's highly hyped return to Indy. "We're just looking to compete and try to stay ahead in our division."

What the Colts (5-2) actually have done is historic.

Their nine-game improvement from 2011 to 2012 is tied for the second-greatest turnaround in league history. Bruce Arians became the first interim coach to be voted NFL Coach of the Year. Andrew Luck set three NFL rookie records last season, has the Colts atop the AFC South heading into their bye week, and has gone 23 games without back-to-back losses. And, of course, coach Chuck Pagano has put cancer in remission, too.

If all goes well after this week's bye, Indy could be in position to clinch its first post-Manning division title before December.

The Colts open November at reeling Houston, then host the Sam Bradford-less Rams before visiting Tennessee.

How has Grigson done it?

Dusting off a proven blueprint of running the ball and stopping the run, unearthing talent in unusual places, pulling off more than a dozen trades, and even getting Lucky.

"Ryan has done a great job of bringing in guys for a reason, not just making a change for a change. You see him bringing guys in to fill a need or a niche," said quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen, who came to Indianapolis in 2002 when Manning's career really started to take off. "I think anyone who tells you they weren't surprised (with the turnaround), I think they're telling you a lie."

No team in recent memory has been this fortunate.

Indy took Manning with the No. 1 pick in 1998, and he spent the next 13 seasons pushing the Colts to higher and higher achievements before a nerve injury cost him all of 2011.

Irsay's Colts paid a steep price without the franchise quarterback and no capable backups on the roster. Indy lost its first 13 games and finished with the league's worst record. But the reward for such an incredibly bad season was Luck and a chance to replace Manning with the most polished college quarterback to enter the draft since, well, Manning.

Grigson and Irsay didn't hesitate to make the toughest move of all, releasing Manning in March 2012, a move both knew was necessary to build toward a stronger future.

Luck didn't disappoint. Not only did he tie an NFL record for all quarterbacks with seven fourth-quarter comebacks in 2012, he was the perfect replacement.

"I came here to play football and not worry what other people think of me. People in the Midwest have been incredibly kind," Luck said. "It makes it easier, the transition. I never worried about what the fans were going to think of me. I figured if you can take of your business, if you can hopefully win some football games, then it becomes easier on that end."

The rebuilding process didn't start and end with a new quarterback.

Grigson initially shook up the fan base by cutting fan favorites Joseph Addai, Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullitt, Dallas Clark, then allowed Pierre Garcon and Jeff Saturday to leave as free agents.

Next, Grigson convinced Pro Bowlers Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis to stick around and help restore Indy's previously sterling reputation.

Then he drafted tight ends Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen, receivers T.Y. Hilton and LaVon Brazill, and power back Vick Ballard. Those five combined for more yards rushing and receiving than any rookie contingent since 1970.

But Grigson also had to be creative.

He traded a second-round pick for cornerback Vontae Davis; dealt away another draft pick for backup cornerback Cassius Vaughn; signed free agents Donnie Avery and Darius Butler; and took low-risk gambles on offensive lineman Mike McGlynn and linebacker Jerrell Freeman.

Those moves all paid big dividends: The Colts went 11-5 and reached the playoffs. And Grigson entered free agency with tens of millions of dollars to spend.

This time, the 41-year-old Grigson took a conservative approach. Grigson found two reasonably priced starting offensive linemen (right tackle Gosder Cherilus and left guard Donald Thomas), another receiver (Darrius Heyward-Bey) and a handful of defensive starters to complete the conversion from a 4-3 defense to Pagano's preferred 3-4.

"You can watch five tapes, 10 tapes of a guy, but a lot of times, you know right away if that guy can play," Grigson said recently.

Now, as the Colts chase a second straight playoff berth, the Colts are perfectly positioned for the future.

Last month's blockbuster deal for Trent Richardson, Grigson's 16th trade, gave the Colts five of the top 100 picks from the 2012 draft — all offensive skill position guys. They have veteran leaders with Mathis, Antoine Bethea, Cory Redding, Adam Vinatieri and the now injured Wayne.

They have enough to continue to win despite putting five key offensive players on season-ending injured reserve.

These Colts have adopted the same mantra Manning's teams used: never give in and never give up.

"The complement is that this team reminds me of all of them because they just keep playing," Christensen said when asked to compare the 2013 Colts with Manning's top teams. "Each week, there's been a level of consistency, it's not up and down, there's a resiliency there. It reminds of all those (Manning) teams."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our highly invested defense; Long, Quinn, Brockers, JL, Finnegan, Jenkins, Ogletree, Langford... being near the bottom of the league defensively means:

1) These players aren't as good as we think

2) Coaching

I have faith in Fisher, but I'm not sold on his coordinators. The problem is; I think Fisher will fall on the axe himself before admitting these guys aren't getting the job done.

For our turnaround to happen something has got to give.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a combination of both, IMO. The Colts bucked the odds and were fortunate enough to get the perfect blend of draft picks, free agents and coaches to get them back in contention DESPITE having a rather large turnaround of personnel and players themselves. Don't get me wrong though. The players they did retain were critical to the development of their team as a whole. I'm just getting really sour on the idea that we're about to register our 10th non-winning season in a row.

TENTH.

For all I do to support this team, I feel gypped.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's a combination of both, IMO. The Colts bucked the odds and were fortunate enough to get the perfect blend of draft picks, free agents and coaches to get them back in contention DESPITE having a rather large turnaround of personnel and players themselves. Don't get me wrong though. The players they did retain were critical to the development of their team as a whole. I'm just getting really sour on the idea that we're about to register our 10th non-winning season in a row.

TENTH.

For all I do to support this team, I feel gypped.

Ditto.

Put me in the camp that doesn't buy into "the 3-5 year plan". Teams turn around quicker these days. That's why I tend to have lesser patience with some things.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
2-14 to 8-8 (yes 8-8 that tie is a Rams W in my book) isn't a turnaround? Not as dramatic as what the Colts did but isn't that still better?

This year is def. disappointing, especially w/ the hype of building off last year. Signing big name guys that have underachieved, draft picks not panning out, important guys getting IRd, it seems like it's back to THAT cycle.

We'll see how they do rest of the year. Said it before say it again, if this current team can get 4 more Ws, then I'll have a bunch of confidence next year.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Our highly invested defense; Long, Quinn, Brockers, JL, Finnegan, Jenkins, Ogletree, Langford... being near the bottom of the league defensively means:

2) Coaching

I have faith in Fisher, but I'm not sold on his coordinators. The problem is; I think Fisher will fall on the axe himself before admitting these guys aren't getting the job done.

But Fish found, hired and KEEPS these coordinators? I thought the TEAM was more important than any one individual, and that includes the coaches. Keeping these guys on board is costing every one else. Simply put, we super loyal fans don't deserve this any longer. Time to draw a line in the sand.

iced

The biggest difference defensively from last year to this year is not the coordinators - it's the safety play. When you move from 2 "veterans" to 2 extremely young, one being a rookie and a 2nd/3rd year UDFA, bad things are gonna happen. poor angles, bad tackling, miss communications, confusion on plays, etc.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
2-14 to 8-8 (yes 8-8 that tie is a Rams W in my book) isn't a turnaround? Not as dramatic as what the Colts did but isn't that still better?

This year is def. disappointing, especially w/ the hype of building off last year. Signing big name guys that have underachieved, draft picks not panning out, important guys getting IRd, it seems like it's back to THAT cycle.

We'll see how they do rest of the year. Said it before say it again, if this current team can get 4 more Ws, then I'll have a bunch of confidence next year.
Yeah, I know. I could list all the reasons why injuries, turnover, change, and lack of continuity continues to delay our ascent, but that doesn't make me any less frustrated about watching other teams blow right by us on the rebuilding front. It's about to become a decade of non-winning seasons, and I guess it's just taking its toll on me as I face that realization once again.

V3

Hall of Fame

2) Coaching

I've been saying this for a while and I got blasted for it. I haven't liked the drafting nearly as much as this forum seems to and the coaching has been very Jekyll and Hyde. Some of the coaches shouldn't even have their jobs. The young players that have looked good in the past are looking worse now. Some have never looked that good.

Bottom line: It's a combination of the two.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I know. I could list all the reasons why injuries, turnover, change, and lack of continuity continues to delay our ascent, but that doesn't make me any less frustrated about watching other teams blow right by us on the rebuilding front. It's about to become a decade of non-winning seasons, and I guess it's just taking its toll on me as I face that realization once again.

You don't think other rebuilding teams have high turnover, injured players, new systems, etc? We didn't really have those issues this year (before Bradford got hurt) and they still regressed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[hl]You don't think other rebuilding teams have high turnover, injured players, new systems, etc?[/hl] We didn't really have those issues this year (before Bradford got hurt) and they still regressed.
Of course I do. Hence my discontent with our "progress."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yup, we've run out of excuses. Now we fans, even the most loyal and supportives, are having to face the reality of total disappointment.

Disappointment is the feeling of dissatisfaction that follows the failure of expectations or hopes to manifest. Similar to regret, it differs in that a person feeling regret focuses primarily on the personal choices that contributed to a poor outcome, while a person feeling disappointment focuses on the outcome itself.

Most of us, most of the time, strive against disappointment. We’d rather be frustrated than disappointed because then we are still holding out for the possibility that if we just try a little more or kick a little harder we might get what we want. Disappointment is that state in which we recognize what isn’t possible

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Just saying.. I would settle for a turnaround like the Chiefs too under Andy Reid. Undefeated so far at 7-0 after a 2-14 2012... I agree with X that all the time I have invested in this team to support it, I would like to see better results.

It just makes that next playoff game all the sweeter. Either that or I'll be telling my grandchildren about that time I saw the Rams win a playoff game.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The Colts never had to deal with the "losing mentality." They had one horrible season but they still had players who remembered winning and making the playoffs. I think far too many people forget that as a factor in the Colts turnaround.

Sure, they drafted well, found players that fit what they wanted to do. But they also had an emotional bond last year that drew the team together, and keeps them together now.

Compare what the Rams have gone through the last 10 years. A dysfunctional FO, HCs that weren't up to the task. Injury plagued seasons. And that losing mentality that's hard to shake. I think Fisher has done quite a bit to tear that down, but it's not over yet. Beating Seattle at home after losing Bradford for the season would be a major step.

Look at Detroit. They probably had as much going wrong for them (Millen) as the Rams, and after they made the playoffs 2 years ago, they suffered another sub-500 season.

I'm not going to say I'm not disappointed either, but I'm holding faith.

V3

Hall of Fame
The Colts never had to deal with the "losing mentality." They had one horrible season but they still had players who remembered winning and making the playoffs. I think far too many people forget that as a factor in the Colts turnaround.

Sure, they drafted well, found players that fit what they wanted to do. But they also had an emotional bond last year that drew the team together, and keeps them together now.

Compare what the Rams have gone through the last 10 years. A dysfunctional FO, HCs that weren't up to the task. Injury plagued seasons. And that losing mentality that's hard to shake. I think Fisher has done quite a bit to tear that down, but it's not over yet. Beating Seattle at home after losing Bradford for the season would be a major step.

Look at Detroit. They probably had as much going wrong for them (Millen) as the Rams, and after they made the playoffs 2 years ago, they suffered another sub-500 season.

I'm not going to say I'm not disappointed either, but I'm holding faith.

I'm not sure I get the whole losing mentality thing. As long as the team brings in new players that are good to replace the bad ones, why would losing in the past be a factor? I would treat each season as a new start. The only way I'd have a losing mentality is if I didn't beleive in what the front office was doing.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It bugs me that we have one of the toughest schedules every year. Check out KC's schedule....makes a difference

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
It bugs me that we have one of the toughest schedules every year. Check out KC's schedule....makes a difference

I almost mentioned KC's schedule in my post. You are correct in that it can make a difference. I highly doubt they would be undefeated right now with our schedule. As I type at this moment, they are fending off the Browns barely at 20-17. Was just saying I would take their turnaround.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I HAVE TO SAY IT ONCE AGAIN I GUESS..............this was the youngest team in the NFL last year and is younger this year than last.
I'm disappointed that we aren't playing better YET TOO but we are one game below .500 ,and IMO if you can go .500 which I think we would have pretty easily WITH SAM with the youngest roster in the NFL two years running, I think you're doing a fabulous job.
DON'T ever forget Andrew Luck had Reggie Wayne,who does Sam have that has played anywhere near that level at this level ?
I'd bet a buncha money Luck and the Colts would have been slaughtered by the Broncos with a roster this young.

We're on the rise ,gotta forget the past guys, when this team matures we will IMO be a dynasty,but we gotta get a better backup QB,maybe ,I'm interested in seeing how we do with KC I really am.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, but it doesn't start that way of course. Those schedules are calculated fairly before the season begins, and then invariably the teams we end up facing have a turn-around which makes the schedule harder.