Brockers and Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Both Brockers and Jenkins are entering their third season, both showed more potential as rookies than as second year vets, Imo at least.

I can see big improvement from both this year if they can respond and adapt to Williams demanding discipline.

Who do you guys look for to make a significant step this year?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think the guy who make the most significant "step" will be Ogletree,he has the speed and agility to be our blitzer from all over the place the guy we flush Kaepernick and Wilson right into his arms and the one getting the "free shot" on Palmer.
Second is the guy who plays FS ,whoever he is he should see some ducks to pick off,Lauranitis could even get a lot of picks this year

SierraRam

Recreational User
Both Brockers and Jenkins are entering their third season, both showed more potential as rookies than as second year vets, Imo at least.

Jenkins should improve immediately in GW's system. He'll press more and have the top D-line forcing QB's into mistakes.

I thought Brockers made progress last year. He got some sacks & was stuffing the run by mid-season. I thought ESPN's rating were unfounded.

Who do you guys look for to make a significant step this year?

I'm looking for TJ to take charge of the DB's & have a breakout season. If he does, our D is double nasty! Possibly #1 in the NFL

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Brockers was significantly better as a 2nd year player.

I am anxious to see Jenkins in this defense as opposed to Walton's gong-show.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

No, you are absolutely right... Brockers was better his second year. I don't know why I wrote it that way. I guess a better way to put it is my expectations of his ceiling were maybe more tempered after year two. As for Jenkins, his future looked brighter his rookie year, both in terms of projection and production.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im still just as high on both guys as I was the day we drafted them. Think we have a future star in Jenkins. And Brockers is a force

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I thought Brockers was better in year 2 than in year 1. Jenkins didn't seem to make any leap, but a significant part of that is the fact that Walton's scheme did not play to his strengths at all and left him out of position too often before the ball was even snapped. If you line him up in a different zip code than the guy he is covering, then you can't be too surprised when that guy catches a lot of easy, underneath stuff and gets a head of steam going for YAC.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Agreed.

At his size, I'd hope for more passes tipped at the line of scrimmage, but I thought Brockers looked better and am hoping for yet another step up like Quinn did his 3rd season.

Jenkins sort of reminds me of Dre Bly. Love(d) their confidence, but both seem to play(ed) as if they are better than what they are (were), to me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No, you are absolutely right... Brockers was better his second year. I don't know why I wrote it that way. I guess a better way to put it is my expectations of his ceiling were maybe more tempered after year two. As for Jenkins, his future looked brighter his rookie year, both in terms of projection and production.
I can see that. I have to wonder how Walton's scheme and coaching affected JJ though. It's not like the guy is just going to forget how to cover and make plays. He sure seemed lost at times last season and wasn't getting a tremendous amount of help. Still, I expected more out of him as I'm sure many of us did. I really hope that Williams is able to scheme to his strengths and we see a return to that pesky playmaking CB.

Brockers on the other hand is building and yr 2 was just the next step. This D-line is on the rise and with the addition of Donald will just get better. Brockers still may not get a bunch of sacks in any given year but he is mostly there to clog the middle and take up blockers while making the occasional sack. Still he had 5.5 sacks last year and his cleanest and best sack (absolutely textbook) was taken away from him with one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I can see that. I have to wonder how Walton's scheme and coaching affected JJ though. It's not like the guy is just going to forget how to cover and make plays. He sure seemed lost at times last season and wasn't getting a tremendous amount of help. Still, I expected more out of him as I'm sure many of us did. I really hope that Williams is able to scheme to his strengths and we see a return to that pesky playmaking CB

Yeah I was a bit disappointed with his play last year too, but then again, he had a great rookie year. Hopefully he can return to his rookie form and make some big plays for us and not get burned in coverage.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah I was a bit disappointed with his play last year too, but then again, he had a great rookie year. Hopefully he can return to his rookie form and make some big plays for us and not get burned in coverage.
I think we may have to live with JJ getting burned on a few plays if we want the INTs and other big plays he's capable of. He'll probably improve in that regard but I really think he needs to be able to play his game. I could be totally wrong but I would take a few blown coverages (as long as they're not long bombs taken to the house) for a return to the playmaker we all saw as a rookie.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Because of Gregg Williams, Aaron Donaldson, increased experience, and youngsters approaching their prime years, I think several players on the Rams defense will make huge leaps! Ogletree, Jenkins, Brockers, MacDonald, and T. Johnson among others.

Offense? I'm sorry. I doubt Brian Schottenheimer can maximize our offensive strengths, therefore I have no idea who will step forward on offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think we may have to live with JJ getting burned on a few plays if we want the INTs and other big plays he's capable of. He'll probably improve in that regard but I really think he needs to be able to play his game. I could be totally wrong but I would take a few blown coverages (as long as they're not long bombs taken to the house) for a return to the playmaker we all saw as a rookie.
I don't mind him taking chances when it's zone coverage. But he can't afford to do that when he's manned-up on someone. When there's no over-the-top help, one gamble can lead to 6 points. Now maybe if the offense starts putting up 30 points, it won't be as difficult to overcome. But until that happens, he needs to focus more on being a shut-down corner as opposed to a playmaker.

That said, if the pass-rush is as fierce as we all hope, his gambles will pay off much, much more. Hurries and bad decisions aren't something you want to happen in the neighborhood of Janoris Jenkins. He'll almost always make you pay. Great hands for a DB, and great ball instincts. If anyone is going to benefit from an improved pass rush, it's almost certainly going to be him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Because of Gregg Williams, Aaron Donaldson, increased experience, and youngsters approaching their prime years, I think several players on the Rams defense will make huge leaps! Ogletree, Jenkins, Brockers, MacDonald, and T. Johnson among others.

Offense? I'm sorry. I doubt Brian Schottenheimer can maximize our offensive strengths, therefore I have no idea who will step forward on offense.

Ogletree comes to my mind first because GW has to be giddy about having a guy that is that fast. We are likely going to see AO on a lot of delayed blitzes, he is going to be a familiar sight in the backfield I'm sure.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle

Yeah I do think that's the kind of player he is, more of playmaker rather than playing it safe all the time. That is another reason I'm really looking forward to him in the GW defense. However, we have to be careful getting burned on big plays, those are what lose us the game. If our safeties can step up and help protect then it would be more acceptable.

Agree with you on the defense, but I disagree with you on the offense. I think Schotty will be just fine with our run first philosophy. He has proven that he can create a good running game. He's not going to be a Mike Martz or anything, but he'll be able to get some big plays in there (designed plays for Austin, trick plays, etc.). I also believe our pass catchers will step it up and make plays when we need them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't mind him taking chances when it's zone coverage. But he can't afford to do that when he's manned-up on someone. When there's no over-the-top help, one gamble can lead to 6 points. Now maybe if the offense starts putting up 30 points, it won't be as difficult to overcome. But until that happens, he needs to focus more on being a shut-down corner as opposed to a playmaker.

That said, if the pass-rush is as fierce as we all hope, his gambles will pay off much, much more. Hurries and bad decisions aren't something you want to happen in the neighborhood of Janoris Jenkins. He'll almost always make you pay. Great hands for a DB, and great ball instincts. If anyone is going to benefit from an improved pass rush, it's almost certainly going to be him.

I'm OK with JJ giving up some big plays as long as he is making some at a higher rate. And as long as it's due to him taking a shot at making a big play and not just blowing it like he did a few times last year. When you have a player like that I think it's the coaches responsibility to let him take the gamble when he thinks he can win. It's what makes some of those guys stars. TPolamalu made mistakes, but he made lots of big plays too.

I agree he is going to have more opportunity with an improved pass rush and I expect to see him take some chances. He'll get toasted once in awhile but he will get his share I'm confident of that. He's dangerous when he has the ball so I'd like to see him with it.

yes I chuckled at the start when they showed him getting the call from the Rams and he was holding a kid.......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm OK with JJ giving up some big plays as long as he is making some at a higher rate. And as long as it's due to him taking a shot at making a big play and not just blowing it like he did a few times last year. When you have a player like that I think it's the coaches responsibility to let him take the gamble when he thinks he can win. It's what makes some of those guys stars. TPolamalu made mistakes, but he made lots of big plays too.

I agree he is going to have more opportunity with an improved pass rush and I expect to see him take some chances. He'll get toasted once in awhile but he will get his share I'm confident of that. He's dangerous when he has the ball so I'd like to see him with it.

yes I chuckled at the start when they showed him getting the call from the Rams and he was holding a kid.......

Man that annoyed me when Fitzgerald grabbed the top of Jenkins' facemask to keep him from pulling in that interception.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Brockers still may not get a bunch of sacks in any given year but he is mostly there to clog the middle and take up blockers while making the occasional sack. Still he had 5.5 sacks last year and his cleanest and best sack (absolutely textbook) was taken away from him with one of the worst calls I have ever seen.
Yes, it was an atrociously bad call. It was NBA refs bad.